S5 styluses: Do you use it and what do you use?

Did you know about this feature and Do you use a stylus on your s5?

• Yes I knew and yes I use one.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yes I knew and no I don't use one.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No I didn't know about this feature.

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
Does anyone else here use the "Hidden" feature of the s5, where it can use various items as a stylus? If so what do you use? For example I have been using a #2 graphite pencil as a precise stylus with the snote app and it's pretty cool. I'm curious to find out if other XDA users use this feature because I just ditched my n3 after seeing and using it. Also as a side note I use the iloome flex and plastic body pens don't work. Metal body ones may scratch your screen protector because it might be a rough metal ball. I used a pencil after testing and they do not scratch the screen (it's graphite hardness of 1 :p) so I scratched my screen protector avoid scratching yours if you are going to test. Mechanical pencils (metal body) of .9 thickness work but don't let the metal lead holder scratch your screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-16-10-02-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-16-10-02-59.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 874
Last edited:

Hypercore

Apr 16, 2009
Vancouver
I just got the Adonit Mini Jot in the mail a few days ago, I love it. Small, compact, only downside is the tip is so accurate it can snap off and be replaced and since its glass (see through) theyre hard to find. They do sell replacements though.

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
I just got the Adonit Mini Jot in the mail a few days ago, I love it. Small, compact, only downside is the tip is so accurate it can snap off and be replaced and since its glass (see through) theyre hard to find. They do sell replacements though.
Have you tried a standard pencil with the s note app? I found that with the snote note app you can use any pencil or mostly metal object when it's in app. But if you turn on extra sensitivity you can use the metal objects / pencils anywhere in the ui. I find it intriguing that Samsung doesn't talk about this feature but it's amazing. In short if you want to use a pencil stylus anywhere in the phone turn on extra Sensitivity, but if you only want it for writing the s note app is free.

lurch0101

Apr 10, 2012

I used their stylus almost 2 years ago and a quick peek at their website recently shows they released a few new ones. Let me know what you think of the mini jot.

Nedinu

Aug 15, 2010
I completely agree. It may be my favorite S5 feature. I use a mini golf pencil and it works wonderfully. It is an amazing combination with the DraStic DS emulator.

blackwrx02

May 3, 2006
I read about this when I first got the phone but wasn't sure about the pencil so I didn't even really try it.

Well, I just did...and holy crap. That works REALLY well. It struggles with my E's, T's and I's when writing but drawing is phenomenal.
Now I have a use for that mechanical pencil that's been sitting in my pen cup on my desk for years lol

Thanks OP

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
I read about this when I first got the phone but wasn't sure about the pencil so I didn't even really try it.

Well, I just did...and holy crap. That works REALLY well. It struggles with my E's, T's and I's when writing but drawing is phenomenal.
Now I have a use for that mechanical pencil that's been sitting in my pen cup on my desk for years lol

Thanks OP
:highfive:
Glad you liked it :)

Just be a little wary of the lead holder tips. For example the zebra mechanical pencils as they can scratch the screen or screen protector. I have yet to find my co workers 1.1 mm thickness full metal mechanical pencil to use as a stylus.

Nedinu

Aug 15, 2010
Been messing around with a good, small solution and this is what I came up with. Bobby Pin + Butchered DS Stylus:

0zQ4MV1.jpg

Plan to work on it a bit more to make a more elegant solution. Just make sure the blob at the bottom of the bobby pin fully covers the metal.

Last edited:

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
MI
Does anyone else here use the "Hidden" feature of the s5, where it can use various items as a stylus? If so what do you use? For example I have been using a #2 graphite pencil as a precise stylus with the snote app and it's pretty cool. I'm curious to find out if other XDA users use this feature because I just ditched my n3 after seeing and using it. Also as a side note I use the iloome flex and plastic body pens don't work. Metal body ones may scratch your screen protector because it might be a rough metal ball. I used a pencil after testing and they do not scratch the screen (it's graphite hardness of 1 :p) so I scratched my screen protector avoid scratching yours if you are going to test. Mechanical pencils (metal body) of .9 thickness work but don't let the metal lead holder scratch your screen.

Do you still have a spare spen to test? I ask because I have a Ativ tab 7 with a spen and I was wondering if the nib was big enough to be recognized. I don't mean have a Wacom digitizer either, I just see others here are writing with pencils, so I was hoping it would be sensitive enough to recognize the nib of the spen too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
MI

Do you still have a spare spen to test? I ask because I have a Ativ tab 7 with a spen and I was wondering if the nib was big enough to be recognized. I don't mean have a Wacom digitizer either, I just see others here are writing with pencils, so I was hoping it would be sensitive enough to recognize the nib of the spen too.

I got one from my note 10.1 and sadly no it doesn't register. I found the best to be a 1.1mm thickness mechanical pencil.

Reactions: 1454

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sweet drawings dude
    MI

I got one from my note 10.1 and sadly no it doesn't register. I found the best to be a 1.1mm thickness mechanical pencil.