[TOOL] [20-JAN-2011] fixOperaFlash v1.5.5.20

Search This thread

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
@aDEO:

Appreciate you taking the time to put something like this together. Few observations with Opera 9.5b16702 using v1.2:

OPERA.INI

INI contents were replaced with the plug-ins section only. Remainder of contents removed.

OPERA1.INI

New entry, remainder still present ... all good.

AxOBJECTS.INI

Existing MIME types were removed and replaced with:

application/x-shockwave-flash|application/futuresplash

In your next version, you may want to add logic to read the current INI values and append the changes to them if they aren't already present to intended INI sections only - ex: not [Windows Media Player] in AXOBJECTS.INI.

Lastly, would it be possible for you to provide a list of changes that occur to files, registry, etc. It would be helpful in verifying that all is as should be.

Cheers,

Last edited:

aDEO

Jul 28, 2007
Bruxelles
www.adeo.hit.bg
@aDEO:

Appreciate you taking the time to put something like this together. Few observations with Opera 9.5b16702 using v1.2:

OPERA.INI

INI contents were replaced with the plug-ins section only. Remainder of contents removed.

OPERA1.INI

New entry, remainder still present ... all good.

AxOBJECTS.INI

Existing MIME types were removed and replaced with:

application/x-shockwave-flash|application/futuresplash

In your next version, you may want to add logic to read the current INI values and append the changes to them if they aren't already present to intended INI sections only - ex: not [Windows Media Player] in AXOBJECTS.INI.

Lastly, would it be possible for you to provide a list of changes that occur to files, registry, etc. It would be helpful in verifying that all is as should be.

Cheers,

Hello hilaireg,

Any chance to send me your old and new ini files? Will be much easy for me to locate the problems that you are notice. You can PM if you don't want to be public - no problem for me.

I am almost desperate, since its working only for me :( (so far). I will describe all changes for better debugging - thank you for that note.

Best regards,
aDEO

Last edited:

Sturzflug

Feb 2, 2009
Unfortunately that fix doesn't work for me. :( Nevertheless good job! The idea sounds promissing!

Tried to install it under /windows/opera9.

Currently Opera 9.5 build 16643 is running on my Touch Pro 2.

Error message was something like: It's not allowed to install/execute the file.... .

Got no clue about that.

Best regards!

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
Hello hilaireg,

Any chance to send me your old and new ini files? Will be much easy for me to locate the problems that you are notice. You can PM if you don't want to be public - no problem for me.

I am almost desperate, since its working only for me :( (so far). I will describe all changes for better debugging - thank you for that note.

Best regards,
aDEO

Here you go; the folders with the numbers correspond to builds of Opera (ex: 9.5.b16277) ... was in the midst of doing BeyondCompares to find the differences. The Windows folder contains the end result of running your 1.2 EXE - at least what i've discovered so far. :)

I'm manually comparing the system to see what files you add/change as I normally convert Opera to a package for my kitchens (don't use CAB's) and wanted to ensure that I include the functionality required to make everything flash related work.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything else ... be my pleasure to try and help the best I can.

Cheers,

Attachments

• OperafixShockwave_DEBUG.zip
    867.8 KB · Views: 228

aDEO

Jul 28, 2007
Bruxelles
www.adeo.hit.bg
Here you go; the folders with the numbers correspond to builds of Opera (ex: 9.5.b16277) ... was in the midst of doing BeyondCompares to find the differences. The Windows folder contains the end result of running your 1.2 EXE - at least what i've discovered so far. :)

I'm manually comparing the system to see what files you add/change as I normally convert Opera to a package for my kitchens (don't use CAB's) and wanted to ensure that I include the functionality required to make everything flash related work.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything else ... be my pleasure to try and help the best I can.

Cheers,

Excellent work!
Already have something in mind about what I can improve, so this files definitely will help. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
aDEO

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
@aDEO:

Would it be possible to get a registry listing of the keys that are touched using your EXE as well as the .DLL/.EXE that you are registering.

One thing I noticed is that FLASH.DLL is replacing the IEACTIVEX.DLL (which is part of FlashLite 3.1) registration in the TypeLib.

Cheers,

Jacklad

Jan 19, 2009
Los Angeles
"Unexpected Error"

I can't open the updated file at all - get an error message - the first version at least installed, but opera would close as soon as any flash content loaded - I have a VXW Vogue running NFSFAN's V13 6.5 rom......I know you guys are very close to figuring this out......

Tourist!

Oct 16, 2008
חוף הכרמל
uninstall ?

installed and working well on my TP2 with 9.5 opera (built in to the rom).

BUT,

it slows the opera down horribly !

please, how do I uninstall ?

badwolf

Jan 26, 2007
running jucy8. my start page is much smaller as all the pages like fb and xda are formatted differently... what where the bigger settings for opera:config?

Last edited:

D'rath

Feb 12, 2008
BG
Nothing, I try my test-site (www.war-europe.com) with v1.2

1- Run App by Memory -> White Screen site
2- Run App by Opera Folder in Win Dir -> White Screen site
3- Run App by Win Folder -> White Screen site
4- Delete Mcromedia Folder then Run App by Win Folder -> White screen site

Sometime Opera Crashes.

If I could help you I'm here ^^

D'rath

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
Been doing some testing with this throughout the day while preparing my OEM for Opera 9.5 b16983 from a source Rhodium ROM.

First, some background.

Opera requires Java to process code in BROWSER.JS/USER.JS. HTML, URL, and XML parsers are additionally required to handles .CSS and .XML forms. For multimedia playback, Opera requires that the registry be correctly configured to point to media playback and streaming engines that are installed on the device - typically, this has been Windows Media Player, FlashLite. Other media content includes .XLS, .DOC, and .PDF.

In most cases that I have seen, a missing/incompatible version of Java, parsers, or missing media engines (such as FlashLite) will often cause Opera to not function on some devices. Incidentally, if Opera displays the Splash screen but fails to load, verify the following: OPERA.INI is UTF-8 and doesn't contain settings that are invalid, Opera9 folder contents are not Read Only, invalid Opera9 Registry entry, invalid skin controls, altered .JS file.

Early Opera Versions

Early versions of Opera were coded to support Flash 7.x for PPC. One would place the FLASH.DLL in the .\Windows\Macromedia folder and place the NPFL3PPC.DLL in the Opera plugin folder. register the FLASH.DLL in the Windows registry and make a few adjustments to a few Opera .INI files the content would be enabled.

The Flash (NPFL3PPC) plugin essentially announces Opera to Flash enabled websites as being capable of full flash playback. One can observe this by navigating to the HTC Website home page, which is Flash 10, and seeing the content. If one navigates to the YouTube website to play a video however, the behavior is unpredictable: the video may play, a blue box may be displayed where the video should be, the browser may crash, or a Flash related memory error message may appear.

Current Opera Versions

Newer Opera versions contain registry settings to ensure compatibility with FlashLite 3.1.9.1##.### packages. The following matrix highlights the difference between the versions of Flash.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashlite/version/

The new version of Flash contains an ActiveX component (IEACTIVEX.DLL) which is intended to supercede the FLASH (NPFL3PPC) component. As with FLASH (NPFL3PPC), some entries are required in the AXOBJECTS.INI file for Opera to recognize the plug-in correctly. When the IEACTIVEX.DLL component (which is part of FlashLite 3.1) is registered however, the browser no longer announces itself as capable of supporting full flash playback.

One can observe this by navigating once again to the HTC website home page and observing that a black box will appear where the flash content should be. If the NPFL3PPC.DLL is present in the plugin folder, the box may be discarded and the web page appears as mostly empty or the web page appears as graphically distorted.

When the IEACTIVEX.DLL component is registered and the NPFL3PPC.DLL is not present in the plugin folder, one can navigate to the YouTube website and play video content as expected as most videos are still in Flash 9.

Is There An Ideal Scenario?

Maybe; but I haven't discovered it. Ideally, all Flash related content should appear correctly ... in others words, the HTC website home page should display correctly and YouTube content should playback correctly.

As of this post, I've observed the following:

1) FLASH.DLL, NPFL3PPC.DLL, .INI configuration, Registry changes

The HTC Home page displays as I would like. However, YouTube videos will not play - launching a video crashes the browser 50% of the time. Additional anomalies include, the SIP popping up when focus is set to Flash related content, very poor browser response/performance, and a white box in the Top Left corner of Opera in Landscape.

2) Adobe FlashLite v3.1.9.111.134, v3.1.9.122.74, & v3.1.9.122.90

The HTC Home page displays a black box where the Flash 10 content should be. YouTube videos will play without issues in Portrait or Landscape. Web sites with newer Shockwave specific content may not display.

After a bit of Googling, I also learned that Adobe intends to release an updated version of FlashLite sometime in October that will permit Flash 10+ content to be viewed.

HTH,

Last edited:

c0de_junkie

Dec 27, 2008
Windsor Ontario
i have tried both versions, with and without flashlite installed, deleted the flash dll and tried a few other things and all i get when i open your app is "false" for all 4 settings!!!!! plus cant get any sites with flash to work, is there anything anyone can do to help ?? thank you very much!!