Link to Stock HTC Hero ROM

Search This thread

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
If anyone can help me get this installed I'd appreciate it. It times out at the waiting for booatloader screen. I have the recovery ROM installed.

dagnasty

Mar 5, 2007
Casa Grande, AZ
Try this:

Pull your battery
Put it back in
Hold down the Volume down arrow and press power
Press Volume Up, screen should say FASTBOOT USB in red
Start your RUU

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
If I'm in Fastboot USB Mode when I run the RUU, it fails at Verifying. If I boot into Fastboot while it's waiting to boot into recovery, it still times out.

dagnasty

Mar 5, 2007
Casa Grande, AZ
Hmm, do you have the correct driver installed? Check your device manager under Android devices and see if the ADB driver is installed. If it is, install the driver from HTC Sync. Its called My HTC when it is installed

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
Yup, I definitely have the driver installed. I can use ADB just fine foe shell and push and so forth.

It connects initially to verify the info on the phone, but the RUU process reboots the phone and seems to expect it to boot into a certain bootloader. But it doesn't. I imagine the recovery ROM I flashed doesn't work with the RUU.

Does anyone have the original recovery ROM?

gilroykilroy

Sep 18, 2009
Had the same situation. I was able to get it to work by messing with the volume keys right after the reboot (pressed up and down a couple times.)

fullthrottleenergy

Jun 14, 2009
Having the same problem. It restarts the phone waiting for bootloader and then errors out.

Not sure what's going on. 100% positive I've got the adb driver. I've got HTC Sync working.

Using Win 7 64bit.

So it errors out and says a connection could not be made error 170.

I then disconnect the usb cable and the screen shows RUU but of course it's already disconnected.

No idea what to do.

Last edited:

dagnasty

Mar 5, 2007
Casa Grande, AZ
Not sure why it is not working for you guys. My RUU would not update using the adb driver. I put it into fastboot usb mode. My pc then detected the phone. I went into device manager and checked under android devices. Make sure it says something like 'My HTC' and not 'HTC Dream' or something like that.

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
I installed HTC Sync and now it works (that's with the custom recovery ROM).

Cool.

mehbones

Nov 9, 2009
what OS are you guys using? I'm using w7 and i'm having absolutely no luck, i think i've tried everything possible...

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
I'm on Win7. You installed HTC Sync?

There's really no reason to flash the stock ROM anyway,,,

mehbones

Nov 9, 2009
yes i have sync installed.

basically what happened was I lost my recovery backup image, i dunno how where i can get another one and how to apply it to my phone...this RUU thing is not working either, i tried fastboot and reinstalled all the phone drivers

mehbones

Nov 9, 2009
the RUU just says that my phone is not connected, i've checked the drivers and all are up to date.

i dont know exactly what to do to use the recovery image, i've never had to use one before, only had to create one.

lv2bll

Nov 16, 2009
it connects to my phone then waits for boot loader, then it says that its not connected anymore