Can I somehow disable my HTC fast charging?

Search This thread

Phalangioides

Dec 9, 2013
I don't think so, no one has done it AFAIK. It would probably require some rom or kernel modifying. Why would you even need to disable it?

You could use a simple two wire usb cable that's incapable of sending data - this way device and the charger can't do a handshake and it should display "slow charge" on the phone.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
You looking to limit charging speed and temps (to prolong long term battery life), or something like that?

Quick Charge (QC) is massively useful IMO. Such as getting on a plane, and need to top off quickly at the gate. Benefits outweigh the theoretical consequences. Battery life decline is hyped way more than it should be, in real life usage (looking at you, Apple!). I've had a number of smartphone and tablets which I used for 2-3 years with no noticeable decline in battery life (even using Quick Charge).

If you don't want QC, just use a charger that doesn't support QC. The stock charger that came with the M8 was a standard one (no QC).

Reactions: roneee

Phalangioides

Dec 9, 2013
The stock charger that came with the M8 was a standard one (no QC).
Isn't the stock M8 5V 1.5A charger actually quick charge 1.0?(at least the european variant afaik)
Some chargers I've used made the phone display a "slow charge" popup, so the original one seems to be faster. Then again - I've used a 2013 samsung feature phone charger and it was "fast charging" so not 100% sure.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Isn't the stock M8 5V 1.5A charger actually quick charge 1.0?(at least the european variant afaik)

AFAIK, only standard (no QC) chargers were shipped with all M8 versions, at least at original release. I remember from reviews and folks complaining that the phone supported QC2.0, but did not ship with a QC charger. And you had to pay for a QC charger as a separate accessory. Now, there are many versions, and a pretty long time period when these devices were sold from HTC. So it's possible at some point (or for some versions) they did ship a QC compliant charger. But I don't think I remember hearing of that happening (but again, it's possible).

The charger is only compliant with QC if it actually says "Quickcharge" (1.0, 2.0, etc.), "QC" or has the QC lightning bolt/circle logo like they show here: https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/mobile-computing/features/quick-charge

Far as I've seen, only these "QC compliant" chargers will work with Quick Charge (actually charge the phone faster than the "stock" charger).

Case in point, I bought a QC2.0 car charger, and it charges almost double the rate of the "stock" HTC charger included with the M8.

Some chargers I've used made the phone display a "slow charge" popup, so the original one seems to be faster. Then again - I've used a 2013 samsung feature phone charger and it was "fast charging" so not 100% sure.

Not 100% either, but I think the "slow charging" message means less than even the intended "stock" (non-QC) charger. Basically, an inferior or otherwise lower output (amps) charger.

Now, when you say "fast charging" are you sure it was actually "Quick Charging" or that it just didn't say "slow charging"? From what I can recall (don't use the M8 as my daily driver anymore) the phone will just say either "slow charging" or "charging" and there is no on-screen differentiation between "normal" charging and "Quick Charge". The only way of telling if QC is working, is that it charges much faster (battery % rises almost double the rate).

So basically, my understanding is that there are 3 conditions: slow charging, "normal" charging, and Quick Charging. But the on-screen message will only tell you of 2 conditions: either slow or normal/QC - with no differentiation between normal and QC.

Samsung "fast charge" is proprietary, and doesn't comply with Qualcomm Quick Charge. There have been numerous reports of Sammy "fast chargers" not working with Quick Charge. Which makes sense, since my understanding (as mentioned above) is that only QC branded/licensed chargers will work with Quick Charge. Never actually seen a Sammy charger working on this phone with Quick Charge. But again, just because I haven't seen it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It would help if the phone manufacturers could stick with standards, instead of insisting on developing proprietary crap, and confusing all of us!

Phalangioides

Dec 9, 2013
The charger is only compliant with QC if it actually says "Quickcharge" (1.0, 2.0, etc.), "QC" or has the QC lightning bolt/circle logo like they show here: https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/mobile-computing/features/quick-charge
Checked mine, no logo or "quickcharge" text. Also I've found no info anywhere that it's quickcharge capable, so it seems it's a normal charger, just a bit more powerful.

Not 100% either, but I think the "slow charging" message means less than even the intended "stock" (non-QC) charger. Basically, an inferior or otherwise lower output (amps) charger.

Now, when you say "fast charging" are you sure it was actually "Quick Charging" or that it just didn't say "slow charging"? From what I can recall (don't use the M8 as my daily driver anymore) the phone will just say either "slow charging" or "charging" and there is no on-screen differentiation between "normal" charging and "Quick Charge". The only way of telling if QC is working, is that it charges much faster (battery % rises almost double the rate).

So basically, my understanding is that there are 3 conditions: slow charging, "normal" charging, and Quick Charging. But the on-screen message will only tell you of 2 conditions: either slow or normal/QC - with no differentiation between normal and QC.

Out of curiosity I've checked what the phone displays when charging using a properly working usb cable and a simple power-only one, both on the stock charger brick.
On stock rom lock screen it shows "charging" on the bottom on both, but with addition of "slow charge" notification on the latter.
RR 5.8.5 shows "charging rapidly" and 1600mA and 9.0V - very likely just a set text as voltage is false and nothing changes. Using power-only cable it's "charging slowly" with 500mA and 9.0V - same thing.

So it is as you said - two types of message for either "much less than normal" and "normal or more"

Samsung "fast charge" is proprietary, and doesn't comply with Qualcomm Quick Charge. There have been numerous reports of Sammy "fast chargers" not working with Quick Charge. Which makes sense, since my understanding (as mentioned above) is that only QC branded/licensed chargers will work with Quick Charge. Never actually seen a Sammy charger working on this phone with Quick Charge. But again, just because I haven't seen it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It would help if the phone manufacturers could stick with standards, instead of insisting on developing proprietary crap, and confusing all of us!

The old Samsung feature phone charger is 4.75V and 0.55A, yet for some reason M8 decides to put in on par with it's own 5V 1.5A charger and say they're both "normal" when charging, weird.

But I agree with you - all those different technologies confuse and prevent us from having just one power brick to rule them all fully work on many devices - there's Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging, Huawei Supercharge, OnePlus Dash Charge, Motorola TurboPower, Oppo Vooc , MediaTek Pump Express and maybe even more. Good thing that at least any phone can get charged using any brick - faster or slower, anything is good in an emergency.

At least it's not as bad as it was back in time, when every phone manufacturer had a different charging plug - can't forget those Sony Ericsson plastic things that used to break off.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You looking to limit charging speed and temps (to prolong long term battery life), or something like that?

Quick Charge (QC) is massively useful IMO. Such as getting on a plane, and need to top off quickly at the gate. Benefits outweigh the theoretical consequences. Battery life decline is hyped way more than it should be, in real life usage (looking at you, Apple!). I've had a number of smartphone and tablets which I used for 2-3 years with no noticeable decline in battery life (even using Quick Charge).

If you don't want QC, just use a charger that doesn't support QC. The stock charger that came with the M8 was a standard one (no QC).