How to filter ads on your G1

Search This thread

bbrosen

Jan 14, 2010
sorry, after searching this thread i saw no definitive answer for fixing issues with wwf, even after uninstalling app. I reinstalled, did a revert, then cleared caches just trying to get to where i can play wwf again, thanks...

dkmurphys

Jan 31, 2011
i found this late last night but, it did not resolve the issue for me...i ran it twice, with no errors each time and it still did not work..if anyone knows of a fix it would be much appreciated...thanks tho...

Then you screwed up, because the fix worked perfectly for me with the first try...

luhu

Dec 23, 2010
Can anyone say me how/where I can find the url of a ad server in a decompiled app?

rickg99

Nov 7, 2010
Adfree works again for me

Adfree failed to work for me a while.

looking into that I discovered that /system/etc/hosts and /data/data/
has only the localhost entry and not more. The hosts file just didn't got updated!?

After trying a lot what helped was
- deinstall the app
- check that /dada/data/com.bigtincan.android.adfree and /dbdata/databases/com.bigtincan.android.adfree is non existent otherwise delete it with Root Explorer
- reinstall adfree
- in Adfree DO NOT check "symlink from /data/data/hosts"

After that it runs just fine again. Hopes that helps.

cephraim

Jun 4, 2010
Have they fixed the conflict with Words with Friends yet? Or, do we still have to manually edit the adfree hosts file?

SGT John Doe

May 9, 2011
I really need some help to get Adfree to work. I've tried every solution with no success. It seems like my hosts file is empty when i looking at it with "root explorer" so no ads become blocked.

I've also tried this method
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/etc
rm hosts
wget "url removed because i cant post else" -O hosts

But when i type "rm hosts" it only say "cant remove hosts, not empty"
And yes. I'm running with CM7 and root.

Tx Redneck

Dec 24, 2010
Why don't you just copy paste the hosts file to /system/etc?

Here's the hosts file I use and still be able to play wwf.

http://db.tt/zojYTMN

I really need some help to get Adfree to work. I've tried every solution with no success. It seems like my hosts file is empty when i looking at it with "root explorer" so no ads become blocked.

I've also tried this method
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/etc
rm hosts
wget "url removed because i cant post else" -O hosts

But when i type "rm hosts" it only say "cant remove hosts, not empty"
And yes. I'm running with CM7 and root.

SGT John Doe

May 9, 2011
Why don't you just copy paste the hosts file to /system/etc?

I have tried that to. But i cant delete or edit the original hosts file that is placed under /system/etc.
And here is what happens when i try the same thing with AndroidSDK
hxxp://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k588/minlillaponny/androidsdk.jpg

Last edited:

SGT John Doe

May 9, 2011
Really, is it only me with this problem? I cant use S-OFF because of H-BOOT 1.01. I'ts maybe one solution left but i dont know how to do, how do i move files with AndroidSDK?

datajosh

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 13, 2009
Greenville, SC
Looks like there are some new hosts that need to be added to this, particularly ad servers used by Lockerz. So far I've found these:

cdn.vdopia.com
serve.vdopia.com
ads2.mojiva.com
ads1.mocean.mobi

Not sure how many others there are but I'd love to do away with the annoying ass video ads Lockerz has above photos on their mobile pages.

Tx Redneck

Dec 24, 2010
Use ES File explorer it you have root. Go to settings while in es file exp and give it root permission then mount /system, copy paste the hosts file to /system /etc

SGT John Doe

May 9, 2011
Use ES File explorer it you have root. Go to settings while in es file exp and give it root permission then mount /system, copy paste the hosts file to /system /etc

Thanks for the advice, but that does not either work. "hosts copy failed" :(
The funny thing is that i cant see some hidden files or directory with ES File explorer, even when the "show hidden directory" and "root permission" is used.

Last edited:

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
I have this installed on mine and wife's N1. Works on mine fine. Blocks ads. But on hers it doesn't. When I look at the host file...its got all the ad free stats and the list of blocked ads...but still does not block ads...I see the ads here on xda with her phone....but not mine
Is there something that can fix this?

Crox

Apr 11, 2007
Did not work on my SGS with original 2.2.1

Angry Birds, GPS Status etc. - all show ad. What to do? By the way, I rooted my SGS.

Crox

Apr 11, 2007
Any idea how to make adfree running on my rooted SGS with original 2.2.1? No error occours after downloading database, adfree seems to work - but doesn't block any ad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can find the latest version of this app on the slideme app store.

http://slideme.org/application/adfree

This is the old thread, I started a new thread in the general section => http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40759351

================================================================================================================================================

Spoiled by ad free browsing on my normal desktop computer it became increasingly annoying seeing all the ads on my phone. However it's really easy to make them disappear, although you most likely will need root on the phone.

Download the hosts.txt file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt, you may need to run dos2unix over the file to remote \r characters, rename the file hosts and copy it to /system/etc on your phone and say goodbye to most ads.

You may find the list to be imperfect, for example some feedburner URLs are "blocked" as a result which can screw with RSS feeds, although it's annoying giving too much info to Google but like everything else in life some things are a trade off.

If you want to root your phone, try this article.
    I'm getting a fatal error saying that my copy is too old, I'm using latest version from market/play store 8.44

I've been dreading this day since my hdd was wiped a while back, I've uploaded a new version using a new signing key 0.8.45, but you'll need to remove the current version first.
    I really would like to see Adfree in another store like FDroid!!

Cheers.!

I was uploading to slideme.org until I had issues with old signing keys being lost.

For people wanting the current version I uploaded the apk file to the website: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
    new Ad blocker

Hi folks,

I have released my own hosts-based ad blocker named AdAway, it can be found on the market with the following features:

• AdAway is Open Source
    • AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
    • You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if some apps are not working with ads disabled
    • You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist

Market: market.android.com/details?id=org.adaway
    Source: gitorious.org/adaway

I would like to hear suggestions and ideas for possible future releases. Please look into the Issue tracker before and add your suggestions there: code.google.com/p/ad-away/issues/list
    Here, a quick edit of the host file to fix the Words with Friends and Medscape. Just copy and paste it into "/system/etc" and overwrite the host file or wherever your host file is located.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mda7sx9eovfkh03

If you wanna do this yourself, use a text editor like Notepad++ and just remove any references to server that's being overlayed in Words With Friends and any references to Medscape.