[Q] Completely Wipe Xoom?

Search This thread

andypotts

Jan 30, 2009
I am running an early 3.2 tiamat rom and i'm wanting to completely wipe all my things like music etc.

When I do a system reset there is no option to get rid of the data.

I have tried doing a wipe via CWM but this doesnt clear this data either.
Any ideas?

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I am running an early 3.2 tiamat rom and i'm wanting to completely wipe all my things like music etc.

When I do a system reset there is no option to get rid of the data.

I have tried doing a wipe via CWM but this doesnt clear this data either.
Any ideas?
Are the files you want to clear in your internal storage ("sdcard") or on your external micro sdcard? I think solarnz' version R4c CWM recovery was configured to avoid wiping data, and I know a wipe data/factory reset in CWM rcovery menu never touches the external sdcard.

You may be best off just manually deleteing your unwanted files, through a file manager app or via pc connection.

digitalnerd

Apr 16, 2011
Are the files you want to clear in your internal storage ("sdcard") or on your external micro sdcard? I think solarnz' version R4c CWM recovery was configured to avoid wiping data, and I know a wipe data/factory reset in CWM rcovery menu never touches the external sdcard.

You may be best off just manually deleteing your unwanted files, through a file manager app or via pc connection.

Sorry to revive an old thread but are you sure that is the only way?

I have done experimentation with files and (not knowing what I was doing really) and now I have various/random files scattered throughout my Xoom.

I would rather start over with a fresh clean slate but every time I do I factory reset (from xoom settings, not clockwork) the files are still there. :confused:

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Digital

BONUS QUESTION: Which version of Clockwork should I be running now? I'm currently on 3.1x something I think. 3.2.0.0 ?

EDIT: Well never mind, I guess I got it to work. Not sure what the exact process/steps are supposed to be but I did a factory reset within Xoom and clockwork (plus extras) without a SD card then I did it the same process again with SD card and then I finally did a reboot into recovery after factory reset in clockwork (i think that may have been the key?)

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA

I have done experimentation with files and (not knowing what I was doing really) and now I have various/random files scattered throughout my Xoom.

I would rather start over with a fresh clean slate but every time I do I factory reset (from xoom settings, not clockwork) the files are still there. :confused:

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Digital

BONUS QUESTION: Which version of Clockwork should I be running now? I'm currently on 3.1x something I think. 3.2.0.0 ?

EDIT: Well never mind, I guess I got it to work. Not sure what the exact process/steps are supposed to be but I did a factory reset within Xoom and clockwork (plus extras) without a SD card then I did it the same process again with SD card and then I finally did a reboot into recovery after factory reset in clockwork (i think that may have been the key?)
Great! There is also a way to wipe from fastboot, but you would have to look up the exact commands. But it looks like you got your clean start.

Reactions: digitalnerd

zbee

Oct 25, 2006
easiest way i found is bassicaly flash through fastboot stock kernel rom and recovery etc...then you can start allover again with a nice "virgin xoom thats needs a good root"

digitalnerd

Apr 16, 2011
Great! There is also a way to wipe from fastboot, but you would have to look up the exact commands. But it looks like you got your clean start.

I guess I jumped the gun, still finding scraps of old files left behind. :(

It looks like I'll be trying the fastboot method. I had put the Xoom in a bad state a while back and had to learn some of those commands to revive it. I'll look into it, thanks for the tip!!

easiest way i found is bassicaly flash through fastboot stock kernel rom and recovery etc...then you can start allover again with a nice "virgin xoom thats needs a good root"

Would you mind writing up some quick steps and links to do that?

I have the xoom wifi mz604. Should I use Build HWI69 for US Retail
MD5 Sum: 3f52762e56474070fa71bdf34ba9afd1 or follow this?: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1446469

Once I get the correct ROM, it looks like I'll need to run the following commands.

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache

I don't think I need to do a: fastboot oem lock
after all that since I plan on rooting again right away.

I'm really enjoying the custom rom over here and would like to apply that again: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1400958

Basically, I just want to have a Xoom the cleanest it can be from time to time with the least amount of hassle. I rarely backup/restore data so that is not an issue for me right now.

This time around I would like to do it the right way and not just be in the dark. I'm starting to see that XDA is awesome community. Never thought my problem would actually get some input. :cool:

Last edited:

hipocrazy

Mar 13, 2008
Having a problem with my home button lighting up but not taking me home. I would like to wipe clean as well and start from scratch. Could someone please confirm the steps above?

Thanks ~

llama-power

Jan 25, 2011

before going through all that, just try an fastboot erase userdata, that should clear all your data in /data (and that includes /sdcard). If it doesn't, you could try fastboot oem unlock, that should most definately clear everything, no need to flash the stock rom or lock the device again.

Only if all that fails (with all that I'm talking about these two commands;)) I'd try to go with the steps you mentioned, they look quite okay to me.

digitalnerd

Apr 16, 2011

Thanks, llama-power. Works great! I also added the "fastboot erase cache" as well, not sure if it helps or hurts but just trying to ensure a clean wipe.

Here are my steps which might help somebody else out down the road:

1. Install motohelper usb drivers from : http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-...tware_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

1. Unzip "SDK_tools.zip" to C:/

2. Use command promot and type : cd c:/

3. Then type : cd sdk_tools

4. Then type : adb.exe

5. Thne type : adb devices

6. Make sure Xoom shows up as a device

7. Then type : adb reboot bootloader

8. Wait for the xoom to reboot

9. Then type : fastboot erase userdata

10. Wait 60 seconds or so

11. Then type : fastboot erase cache

12. Then type fastboot reboot (if you want to to use xoom and set up)

13. Consider rebooting into recovery if you are upgrading the ROM as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks, llama-power. Works great! I also added the "fastboot erase cache" as well, not sure if it helps or hurts but just trying to ensure a clean wipe.

Here are my steps which might help somebody else out down the road:

1. Install motohelper usb drivers from : http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-...tware_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

1. Unzip "SDK_tools.zip" to C:/

2. Use command promot and type : cd c:/

3. Then type : cd sdk_tools

4. Then type : adb.exe

5. Thne type : adb devices

6. Make sure Xoom shows up as a device

7. Then type : adb reboot bootloader

8. Wait for the xoom to reboot

9. Then type : fastboot erase userdata

10. Wait 60 seconds or so

11. Then type : fastboot erase cache

12. Then type fastboot reboot (if you want to to use xoom and set up)

13. Consider rebooting into recovery if you are upgrading the ROM as well.
    Note that you can also run "fastboot -w" for a shortcut to wipe both userdata and cache

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
    Digital

before going through all that, just try an fastboot erase userdata, that should clear all your data in /data (and that includes /sdcard). If it doesn't, you could try fastboot oem unlock, that should most definately clear everything, no need to flash the stock rom or lock the device again.

Only if all that fails (with all that I'm talking about these two commands;)) I'd try to go with the steps you mentioned, they look quite okay to me.