FireTV 2 (sloane) Unbrick Image

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
This will help you unbrick a bricked FireTV 2. You must download the following:

Extract all 3 zip files to the same directory.

You must decide if you want to use unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. Using unbrick.img, it should take about 30 minutes. Using unbrick+ramdisk.img it could take up to 2 hours. You can only use unbrick.img if you have an sdcard. If you have an sdcard, place ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma in the root directory of it.

Run unbrick_firetv2.bat for Windows or unbrick_firetv2.sh for Linux or OSX.

First, it will ask you which file you want to use, unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. You must type the name of the image you want to use.

Make sure the USB cable is connected and turn on the FireTV 2.

Then it will start reading from the FireTV. Then it will prompt you with a warning:

Code:
No target file specified.  Is this a partition image?
If this is not, DO NOT CONTINUE, otherwise press 'y' to continue.
Write partition image? <y|n>

Type a 'y' and hit enter.

It should start writing. Eventually it will finish. If you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, make sure it is plugged in and power cycle the Fire TV. It should skip the bootmenu and take you straight to recovery. If for some reason the USB keyboard doesn't work, unplug and replug it. It should start working.

Last edited:

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012

You must decide if you want to use unbrick.img or unbrick+recovery.img. Using unbrick.img, it should take about 30 minutes. Using unbrick+recovery.img it could take up to 2 hours. You can only use unbrick.img if you have an sdcard. If you have an sdcard, place ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma in the root directory of it.

First, it will ask you which file you want to use, unbrick.img or unbrick+recovery.img. You must type the name of the image you want to use.

Then it will start reading from the FireTV. Then it will prompt you with a warning:

Code:

It should start writing. Eventually it will finish. If you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, make sure it is plugged in and power cycle the Fire TV. It should skip the bootmenu and take you straight to recovery. If for some reason the USB keyboard doesn't work, unplug and replug it. It should start working.

Awesome rbox! I see you've been busy...Really appreciate everything you do for us Fire TV folks.

Reactions: Sajhid

samykoka

Oct 26, 2008
Thank you mate... Your great work made my day and got out of bricked state !!!!!
Got to recovery and flashed your rooted 5.0.31 and rebooted to perfectly working aftv2 + rooted .. Good job as always mate , thanks

One question, could I just flash the rooted 5.0.4 from recovery or should I do something else??

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Thank you mate... Your great work made my day and got out of bricked state !!!!!
Got to recovery and flashed your rooted 5.0.31 and rebooted to perfectly working aftv2 + rooted .. Good job as always mate , thanks

One question, could I just flash the rooted 5.0.4 from recovery or should I do something else??

You can flash whatever version you want...

daffung

Sep 4, 2011
rbox, looks like amazon sent me a bricked fire tv, while im at possession, i figured a i play around with it.
when i got it it was stuck to amazon white amazon logo,
so i waited for it for like 30 minutes to boot, but nothing changes... then with recent root method (aftv gen 2)
i figured i install this
http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/development/firetv-2-recovery-t3309780/page17#post65265240
i was able get to recovery!
and applied pre rooted firmware, but after completion,
i think its beyond bricked..
no screen, my led flash drive does not even flash or blink anymore when i put it on boot...
i can still handshake still apply the unbrick method
my question is after applying this brick.img
would i suppose to get a screen? and boot up
but still the same no screen nothing... not even white amazon logo...

or this is done..

thanks

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
rbox, looks like amazon sent me a bricked fire tv, while im at possession, i figured a i play around with it.
when i got it it was stuck to amazon white amazon logo,
so i waited for it for like 30 minutes to boot, but nothing changes... then with recent root method (aftv gen 2)
i figured i install this
http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/development/firetv-2-recovery-t3309780/page17#post65265240
i was able get to recovery!
and applied pre rooted firmware, but after completion,
i think its beyond bricked..
no screen, my led flash drive does not even flash or blink anymore when i put it on boot...
i can still handshake still apply the unbrick method
my question is after applying this brick.img
would i suppose to get a screen? and boot up
but still the same no screen nothing... not even white amazon logo...

or this is done..

thanks

After using unbrick.img, if you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, you should get recovery. If not, then there is something bad the hardware.

vrl2

Feb 2, 2008
New Haven, CT
Many thanks, rbox -- unbrick_firetv2.bat worked for me in bootcamp. Selected unbrick+ramdisk.img, then rebooted into TWRP. Initially when I installed prerooted 5.0.5_r2, setup gave me a screen (after remote pairing and language selection) that it was checking for updates. The setup then halted with an error window that it could not connect to Amazon's server, and that I should power off and reset the AFTV. I then flashed prerooted 5.0.4_r2, completed the initial setup, and reflashed prerooted 5.0.5_r2 (which let me get around the update error).
Again, thanks for all your work!!

Reactions: ikarus_24

daffung

Sep 4, 2011
After using unbrick.img, if you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, you should get recovery. If not, then there is something bad the hardware.

i wonder what caused that bricked.. , ( well it was already bricked, when amazon send it to me it was stuck at white amazon logo, then only when i applied the pre rooted firmware, thats when it stop showing screens from there..wouldn't it fix the problem already since i was able to get to recovery.....
id try the sd card 1 last thing il probably go to walmart and try that, if nothing fix it i guess its total beyond brick..

Takeoo111111

May 12, 2010
Hi,
thank you very much for your great work @rbox!
Just a note:
I think, in the bash script, there is a "2" in the last line that doesn't belong there?
And there is a "unbrick+ramdisk.img" file, but no "unbrick+recovery.img" in the zip container. Some might get confused by that...

But everything works fine (using ramdisk)!

thx

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Hi,
thank you very much for your great work @rbox!
Just a note:
I think, in the bash script, there is a "2" in the last line that doesn't belong there?
And there is a "unbrick+ramdisk.img" file, but no "unbrick+recovery.img" in the zip container. Some might get confused by that...

But everything works fine (using ramdisk)!

thx

Thanks. I fixed it all.

Reactions: Servet83

daffung

Sep 4, 2011
rbox, looks like its a hardware problem? but problem is i had white screen when i applied the pre rooted fire tv, thats when i get no screen, no boot... do think its possible a fix for this, via handshake?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
rbox, looks like its a hardware problem? but problem is i had white screen when i applied the pre rooted fire tv, thats when i get no screen, no boot... do think its possible a fix for this, via handshake?

Well try the unbrick image and see if it works.

daffung

Sep 4, 2011

Well try the unbrick image and see if it works.

yup,

sucessfully flashed unbrick.img, and had sd card ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzm.
still the same...
no boot, no screen, not even white screen?
and no signal from hdmi

Last edited:

harlekinrains

May 12, 2011
I am afraid I have to report a brick on 5.0.5r3 -

Played some Vice City, went back into Kodi, played a video that was still in the paused state, then the screen flashed to black and then back to the Video in Kodi twice and then - a dreaded blackscreen.

Upon a reboot I still get the amazon logo, I get the recovery bootscreen and also can still enter TWRP recovery, but when I try to boot into the normal OS I only get the amazon logo and then a fade to black (amazon Fire TV animated logo not showing up). The blue LED on the Fire TV is steadily blinking along...

(Switched TVs and HDMI cables - just in case (no HDCP problem.. ;) ))

Already wiped /system /data /data including media /cache and /dalvik - and reinstalled both 5.0.5r1 and r3 multiple times.

Right now I have two questions - 1st (for the fast ones, because I am trying it anyway) - should I still try to unbrick using this tutorial (i.e. If I have access to the recovery and already formated the whole range of partitions once - does the unbrick image do anything more than that?).

And 2nd - is there any "factory image" maybe without the stock recovery disabled - just in case, at this point - I'd try most things - really... ;)

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I am afraid I have to report a brick on 5.0.5r3 -

Played some Vice City, went back into Kodi, played a video that was still in the paused state, then the screen flashed to black twice and then - a dreaded blackscreen.

Upon a reboot I still get the amazon logo, I get the recovery bootscreen and also can still enter TWRP recovery, but when I try to boot into the normal OS I only get the amazon logo and then a fade to black (amazon Fire TV animated logo not showing up). The blue LED on the Fire TV is steadily blinking along...

(Switched TVs and HDMI cables - just in case (no HDCP problem.. ;) ))

Already wiped /system /data /data including media /cache and /dalvik - and reinstalled both 5.0.5r1 and r3 multiple times.

Right now I have two questions - 1st (for the fast ones, because I am trying it anyway) - should I still try to unbrick using this tutorial (i.e. If I have access to the recovery and already formated the whole range of partitions once - does the unbrick image do anything more than that?).

And 2nd - is there any "factory image" maybe without the stock recovery disabled - just in case, at this point - I'd try most things - really... ;)

The unbrick image just puts enough on system to be able to get to recovery. If you can already get to recovery, it won't get you anything. The disabled stock recovery isn't going to effect anything while running android. All it does it prevent the bootloader from running it. I can't really explain it if you did an advanced wipe of data.

harlekinrains

May 12, 2011
Hardware Issue probably. Thanks for the fast response. :)

Cheers.

(I'll do another advanced wipe - just for kicks.. ;) )

edit: Went through with another full wipe - rebooting the device afterwards (= softbrick for sure, because not even TWRP is accessible and there is no OS on the device) - which at that point got "parked" on the white amazon logo indefinitely. (Perfect for the "I aint know nothing" returning the device approach. ;) Just in case Amazons 5.0.5 turns out to brick a few more Fire TVs... ;) As long as rbox didnt modify the kernel, I'd say its Amazons fault. :) ) Then went through the unbrick procedure in this thread - which worked as described (TWRP was installed on the device and autobooted on the powercycle after the unbrick script had finished). Then installed 5.0.5r1 again and rebootet - just to be met with the same error profile as before "dark screen" - not even the animated amazon logo (just the white one in the beginning).

This time - on a better TV screen it was visible though, that the screen showed a small horizontal line, and then flashed in a lighter black color twice, before going back to full TV black. So yes the problem seems to lay somewhere on the video signal path. Its curious though, that TWRP still got (and gets) displayed... :)

Last edited:

er1000

Dec 21, 2015
Can someone help me? I followed all the steps in the guide and when the unbricking program is writing the filesystem, it always gets stuck at 17%. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

jim16127

Jul 18, 2015

I am in a boot loop. Goes to amazon white logo. Light on FireTV2 turns orange then reboots into custom recovery but it automatically starts trying to mount partitions (one of them is cache) and it fails on all of them. Then moves along to the white amazon screen again and repeats the entire process. I ran the unbrick.img and the problem persists.

I'm currently in the process of running unbrick+recovery.img method to see if it makes any difference. Should it? Is there anything that I may be overlooking?

I'm fairly sure that the reason this happened is from checking ALL the check boxes in the format/wipe section of the custom recovery. After that these issues happened. Does that mean permabrick?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You must decide if you want to use unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. Using unbrick.img, it should take about 30 minutes. Using unbrick+ramdisk.img it could take up to 2 hours. You can only use unbrick.img if you have an sdcard. If you have an sdcard, place ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma in the root directory of it.

First, it will ask you which file you want to use, unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. You must type the name of the image you want to use.

Code:

I am in a boot loop. Goes to amazon white logo. Light on FireTV2 turns orange then reboots into custom recovery but it automatically starts trying to mount partitions (one of them is cache) and it fails on all of them. Then moves along to the white amazon screen again and repeats the entire process. I ran the unbrick.img and the problem persists.

I'm currently in the process of running unbrick+recovery.img method to see if it makes any difference. Should it? Is there anything that I may be overlooking?

I'm fairly sure that the reason this happened is from checking ALL the check boxes in the format/wipe section of the custom recovery. After that these issues happened. Does that mean permabrick?

That's odd.... what do you mean it automatically starts trying to mount the partitions and fails? Where does TWRP show that? If you are getting the orange light it sounds like maybe you wiped your boot partition and it's not actually going to TWRP but stock recovery?

Extract the boot.img from the prerooted ROM and place it in the directory with the unbrick files. Run handshake and reboot to get it to handshake, then run this:

Code:
    mediatek_inject firetv2 YOURCOMPORT boot.img /boot -

Replacing YOURCOMPORT with whatever handshake said your comport was. That should rewrite the boot image.
    When going into advanced wipe after running those 2 commands. I included an attachment with the error updates.

UPDATE: So after reading "/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache is apparently in use by the system; will not make a filesystem here!" I figured I should try to wipe system. It worked! So then I tried to wipe data and cache. They both worked! I'm not sure if that means I'm home free but the errors are gone. I haven't rebooted yet though.

Well try to reboot and see what happens.
    After using your cache.img the FireTV booted to TeamWIN. I selected Advanced Wipe ticked the cache and data then clicked the swipe bar in the bottom right to start the process. The picture shown is what happened next. I was still in the boot menu though. So I did it again received the same errors and clicked reboot. It warned me that I don't have an OS. Now I'm in the same boot loop again.

I'm currently running your cache.img to get out of the boot loop again.

Any other ideas for me to try?

Connect via adb shell and run these 2 commands:

Code:
    mke2fs /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/userdata
    mke2fs /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache
    Okay, I followed those instructions. Here is the updated errors. They're similar but different.

You're getting that after doing advanced wipe AND rebooting? That's not right...