Keep Wifi (BT, GPRS and ActiveSync) connected in standby

Search This thread

Funky B

Apr 28, 2006
Santa Barbara
Keep Wifi (Bluetooth, GPRS and ActiveSync) connected while phone is in standby.

I've had problems with my wizard finding my wifi network when I come out of standby and I use programs like RemoteAmp and would like to have a constant connection to my network so that when I come out of standby I dont have to wait to reconnect.

Warning!!!
This will also keep Bluetooth, GPRS and ActiveSync connected! You can always manually disconnect.

This will probably work on any WM5 device, but was tested on a WIZ100 running my edited 2.25.11.1 rom.

Using your favorite registry editor (Resco Registry) navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Suspend\{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}
-change (Default) DWORD Dec to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Resuming\{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Unattended\{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}

If you need to search for networks you won't be able to do so by putting the device in standby (quick press of the power button off and back on), instead turn the wifi on and off.

Power state 1 is a low power state, if you find it's not working that well try changing the value to 0. Power state 0 is a full power state.

Yes, your battery will drain faster. I'll report back on how much faster later.

Special thanks to Summiter and Faria for all their hard work, and to buzz_lightyear (buzzdev.net) for pointing me in the right direction!

Drifter

Jan 4, 2006
O man, was looking ages for this tweak. :D
It's working on my wizzard with the 2.26 ROM.

At last I can leave my HP H6340 at home that did the same without the tweak.
Only thing is that the H6340 WLAN module was turned on every 5 minutes to check for new mail by Active sync.

I will see how it will drain my battery this week.

Cheers,

Drifter

Drifter

Jan 4, 2006
Battery drain is huge.
Switched on the WLAN on 8:30 and at 10:30 the battery is on 71%
Think I’m going back to the old settings because it won’t last all day.
My Wizzard is getting somewhat warmer du to the batterydrain.

Funky B can you explain what these 1 to 4 setting do?
Standard it’s on 4 so it will shut down the WLAN hardware completely if you disable WLAN or when the device is in standby.

Cheers,

Drifter

Funky B

Apr 28, 2006
Santa Barbara
In 8 hours my battery died with wifi on at all times (not necessarily connected) and bluetooth was off. With all connections off there was no noticable difference in battery drain. If you turn Wifi/BT/GPRS off when not in use you won't have any problems :wink:

buzz_lightyear wrote this description of the power states:
Full on -> D0
State in which the device is on and running. It is receiving full power from the system and is delivering full functionality to the user.

Low on -> D1
State in which the device is fully functional at a lower power or performance state than D0. D1 is applicable when the device is being used, but where peak performance is unnecessary and power is at a premium.

Standby -> D2
State in which the device is partially powered with automatic wakeup on request. A device in state D2 is effectively standing by.

Sleep -> D3
State in which the device is partially powered with device-initiated wakeup if available. A device in state D3 is sleeping but capable of raising the System Power State on its own. It consumes only enough power to be able to do so; which must be less than or equal to the amount of power used in state D2.

Off -> D4
State in which the device has no power. A device in state D4 should not be consuming any significant power. Some peripheral busses require static terminations that intrinsically use non-zero power when a device is physically connected to the bus; a device on such a bus can still support D4.

-State 0 is full on and will always give power - works great
-State 1 is partial power when not active - best choice
-State 2 is standby and has some issues. The backlight on my device turns back on because a wake request has been issued, but the today screen doesn't load until a button is pressed. Omap overclock may cause some of the issues.
-State 3 will cause wifi to disconnect
-State 4 is off

IMO the battery drain is resonable for holding a wifi connection. It's more annoying to wait for a connection frequently than to worry about the battery. I don't need a constant connection to my home network for 8 hours at a time, but when I'm playing poker at home and want to use RemoteAmp to control my music for a couple of hours this is a perfect solution. As long as you turn off your connections when not in use you should be fine.

Drifter

Jan 4, 2006
Thanks Funky B for your reply,

It’s much clearer now.
I’m going to experiment with the D2 setting and see how that goes with my Wizzard.
I’ve got a TyTN since today and if it will do the same we will see.

Cheers,

Drifter

muizmotani

Jun 20, 2006
Doesn't Seem To Work

I tried setting the above registry values to 0, 1 and 2 and none of them seem to work. When I turn the Wizard to standby and then ping it, it seems to stop responding. Am I doing something wrong?

trojan9x

Feb 28, 2006
I tried setting the above registry values to 0, 1 and 2 and none of them seem to work. When I turn the Wizard to standby and then ping it, it seems to stop responding. Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you do a soft reset on your device in order to make the changes take affect (power off device with power button, then power back on is most efficient way).

almozaffar

Jun 27, 2006
Well I have cingular 8125 and without these changing the battery will not last half a aday.

muizmotani

Jun 20, 2006
Make sure you do a soft reset on your device in order to make the changes take affect (power off device with power button, then power back on is most efficient way).

I did do a power-off/power-on sequence but this still does not seem to make a difference. Are you sure you don't mean that I should do a soft-reset by using the reset button by the IR port?

mvhaen

Nov 28, 2006

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Suspend\{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Resuming\{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Unattended\{98C5250D-C29A-4985-AE5F-AFE5367E5006}

Hi I'm looking to solve the same problem on a number of devices. I've located these keys (or created them if they were not there) but to no avail.

I'm a little confused about "-change (Default) DWORD Dec to 1", since the 'nameless' key is a REG_SZ (null terminated string).

So do I need to add a key called "(Default)" with type DWORD or do I need to set the (Default) REG_SZ key to 1 (char value) or to 1 (DWORD value) but what about null termination in that case?

Could you shed some light on this?

onlineemails

Nov 22, 2006
www.pavan.ir
i have changed them and it doesnt worked i wana get the last configuration but i have forgetten what its was can someone say me what are deafult values

ITLaaitie

Sep 12, 2007
I have an HTC TyTN with Windows Mobile 6 and a Bluetrek G2 bluetooth headset. I am on the road for at least an hour everyday Monday to Friday, and for safety use the bluetooth haedset while driving.

I tried this hack and it works for me. However, my TyTN keeps going active while using power settings of 1 and 2. However, with a setting of 3, it stays suspended without losing connection to the headset. Perfect!
Afterward I switch off the bluetooth on the TyTN.

Also appears to lessen battery drain. Usually the battery lasts two days max, so far it's not even half drained after two full days. Definitely worth it.

Last edited:

ADB100

Nov 3, 2006
Authenticated WiFi & Standby?

I connect to a secured WiFi network (WPA2-Enterprise using EAP-TLS Authentication & AES Encryption) and made this tweak to allow me to use VoIP & MS Office Communicator over the WiFi whilst my device is in standby. It works but the WiFi network is set to re-authenticate devices every 30-minutes (Radius session-timeout of 1800-seconds). What seems to be happening is the device is failing to re-authenticate when it's in standby. I need to do a bit more research but was wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour and found any workarounds (except obviously removing the reauthentication timeout...).

Cheers

Andy

zoom4zam

Oct 28, 2009
Chicago
HTCKeepWifiOnWhenUnattended d-_-b HTC Tilt 2

Wifi allways on------- thanks Jzhyok

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\BCMSDDHD1\Parms]
“HTCKeepWifiOnWhenUnattended”=dword:00000001:

phamtuanchip

Oct 27, 2009
Keep Wifi (Bluetooth, GPRS and ActiveSync) connected while phone is in standby.

I've had problems with my wizard finding my wifi network when I come out of standby and I use programs like RemoteAmp and would like to have a constant connection to my network so that when I come out of standby I dont have to wait to reconnect.

Warning!!!
This will also keep Bluetooth, GPRS and ActiveSync connected! You can always manually disconnect.

This will probably work on any WM5 device, but was tested on a WIZ100 running my edited 2.25.11.1 rom.

If you need to search for networks you won't be able to do so by putting the device in standby (quick press of the power button off and back on), instead turn the wifi on and off.

Power state 1 is a low power state, if you find it's not working that well try changing the value to 0. Power state 0 is a full power state.

Yes, your battery will drain faster. I'll report back on how much faster later.

Special thanks to Summiter and Faria for all their hard work, and to buzz_lightyear (buzzdev.net) for pointing me in the right direction!

HI i see many thing can work with reg edit , is it posible make .reg file and lunch it like the .reg file in windows ? thank for replying

znamezsame

Mar 18, 2009
Reg file provided

HI i see many thing can work with reg edit , is it posible make .reg file and lunch it like the .reg file in windows ? thank for replying

I just added the HTC Keep Wifi Awake .reg file to my post here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=5962350

I call them Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 Stock 6.1 Tweaks because I can guarantee they work for that phone. Odds are they work for most new HTC phones. The WiFi Keep Awake reg entry I went with was the one mentioned above by zoom4zam / Jzhyok.

Last edited: