Maybe we will get the kernel sound source

Search This thread

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
Hi

I really want Voodoo Sound for the Optimus 2X, but without the kernel sound source it's not possible, Supercurio did contact LG USA but I don't know if he got any answer, so I contacted LG Sweden yesterday and got answers today (they are very quick to answer, thumbs up)

I just told them I need the kernel sound source and explained about Voodoo Sound and so on, quite long message, anyway, the first answer was this:

"We will not release our internal source of sound kernel and is it that you get hold of it, it's nothing that we have officially released and that means then that if you start experimenting with the source code to the warranty on your phone can be broken."

Then I replied that there was no risks with releasing the kernel sound source, it's just great if we can get it and the phones sound will greatly improve with Voodoo Sound and it's not amateurs that is doing this, it's pro people that know what they are doing, and that a lot of Optimus 2X users would be very happy if we get Voodoo Sound.

Then I got a reply from another guy that said this:

"I've put your request on internally at LG and we'll see what the Korean says, I am linking back to you when I received a reply, you may feel free to reply to this email as I have you in my inbox."

I replied: Thanks for the reply, very appreciated, you have no idea how happy Optimus 2X owners will be if LG Korea would release the sound source and not tell us that there is risks with it hehe:), there is absolutely no risk with it as I said (otherwise I would not contacted you from the start), everything is just positive and I hope you are doing everything possible to persuade LG Korea to release the sound kernel, like I said the many would be very happy with Voodoo Sound, with the Voodoo Sound it's like night and day

Well now we have to pray to God that the Koreans sees this like a positive thing, I think LG Sweden would have released it if they could.

edit: maybe wrong section? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: albireox

albireox

Nov 25, 2009
Timisoara
Thanks Gilg@mesh for doing this. It would be great to have Voodoo Sound on the O2X aswell, mostly since the hardware seems to be the same as in SGS or Galaxy Tab (Wolfson EM8994). Let's see what the guys in Koreea have to say about this.

codeworkx

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2010
Bad Neustadt
Thanks Gilg@mesh for doing this. It would be great to have Voodoo Sound on the O2X aswell, mostly since the hardware seems to be the same as in SGS or Galaxy Tab (Wolfson EM8994). Let's see what the guys in Koreea have to say about this.

isn't wm8994 part of the official linux kernel?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
isn't wm8994 part of the official linux kernel?

Removed from here:
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/android_kernel_lg_p990/tree/2.6.32.9/sound/soc/codecs

and defconfig disable ALSA all the way:
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/androi.../arm/configs/star_SKT_rev_a_android_defconfig

Maybe it's not an ALSA driver but an OSS one instead like I saw on Atrix 4G?, I don't know.

lsmod output and /proc/kallsyms content would help − I don't own the device.

Reactions: Smoky

codeworkx

Nov 20, 2010
Bad Neustadt
Removed from here:
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/android_kernel_lg_p990/tree/2.6.32.9/sound/soc/codecs

and defconfig disable ALSA all the way:
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/androi.../arm/configs/star_SKT_rev_a_android_defconfig

Maybe it's not an ALSA driver but an OSS one instead like I saw on Atrix 4G?, I don't know.

lsmod output and /proc/kallsyms content would help − I don't own the device.

all device related drivers are there:
https://github.com/codeworkx/android_kernel_lge_star/tree/2.6.32/drivers/star

wm8994 test driver:
https://github.com/codeworkx/android_kernel_lge_star/blob/2.6.32/drivers/star/star_wm8994.c

Correct defconfig:
https://github.com/codeworkx/androi...arch/arm/configs/star_rev_f_android_defconfig

Last edited:
Reactions: Smoky

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
yah you can post the result of:

Code:
adb shell lsmod
and:
Code:
adb shell cat /proc/kallsyms

It will help know a little more about what/how :)

− PS: so far I still don't plan to buy the device, No promise either to support it in Voodoo sound

I used CMD and got this when I typed adb shell cat /proc/kallsyms (nothing happened when I typed adb shell lsmod, maybe I did something wrong?)

gromez

Sep 24, 2009
For lsmod (or /proc/modules), I only got this with wireless enabled:

Code:
wireless 214820 0 - Live 0xbf000000

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Okay so I'm really missing something, custom kernels have audio and are built from sources, but I don't see where is this audio driver source.
And the latest command output show that this is not an audio kernel module either.

Sorry guys, I just don't understand how it works ^^

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
Okay so I'm really missing something, custom kernels have audio and are built from sources, but I don't see where is this audio driver source.
And the latest command output show that this is not an audio kernel module either.

Sorry guys, I just don't understand how it works ^^

ok but if the sound kernel source would be released, would it be possible to make Voodoo Sound work (let's say you have the device)

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
ok but if the sound kernel source would be released, would it be possible to make Voodoo Sound work (let's say you have the device)
Due to Voodoo sound driver design, a port should be possible.

However with what I saw from kallsyms and /proc/module, a module option like the new Voodoo Control Plus is extremely unlikely.

Some tweaks would be possible but by polling & writing stuff directly to the registers outside of the original driver, which means a poor quality implementation causing sound troubles and issues.

So, maybe the source is already here, but I don't understand how it works! :p

codeworkx

Nov 20, 2010
Bad Neustadt
Due to Voodoo sound driver design, a port should be possible.

However with what I saw from kallsyms and /proc/module, a module option like the new Voodoo Control Plus is extremely unlikely.

Some tweaks would be possible but by polling & writing stuff directly to the registers outside of the original driver, which means a poor quality implementation causing sound troubles and issues.

So, maybe the source is already here, but I don't understand how it works! :p

i'll have a look at it today and report back what i've found.

Top Liked Posts