Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Try One-Click UnBrick... If that doesn't work:
Try "3 button combo".. If that doesn't work:
Try a "301k Factory Mode jig"... If that doesn't work:
Try UnBrickable Mod http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1236273 (if available on your platform)
If you require additional help, send me a private message, we can work something out.

Background
I've been working on stopping the bricking problem on our phones for a while now.
Ever tried JTAG unbrick recovery?--superhuman soldering skills no longer required for JTAG
Developing methods to recover bricks without JTAG - I keep this updated with current information as it develops.
ALL JIG VALUES here! --this will give you some resistor values to try
Altered water damage indicators --um... just in case you lick your battery and need warranty replacement
The Galaxy S Hack Pack--A compilation of resources for Galaxy S Phones.

I wanted to write some software which will help the user to understand what they are doing.. So I began the Heimdall One-Click project. http://code.google.com/p/heimdall-one-click/ Heimdall One-Click is not yet finished, but the Unbrick is complete. Heimdall One-Click is based on binaries from another Open-Source project, called Heimdall by XDA member Benjamin Dobell.

About One-Click UnBrick

This Software:
  • Will work on all Samsung devices which use Odin3
  • Is a single, portable executable
  • Is the first one-click anything for our devices on Linux
  • Works on Mac
  • Works on Windows
  • Is open source
  • Is programmed in Java
  • Deploys and installs Heimdall for your OS
  • Is super easy to use.... Only one button!

Demonstration video:

Image captured on Ubuntu 11.04:
2d0gj1x.png

This software is completely safe. It is a part of my Heimdall One-Click project. I wanted to release this to work out any cross-platform difficulties which may be encountered before I release Heimdall One-Click.

Instructions
1. Copy OneClick.jar to your Desktop-- or any other folder on your computer, It won't work on a network share.
2. Double click. -- As long as you have Java installed On Linux and Mac you are up and running.

For some versions of Windows as a work around to UAC (User Access Control, the annoying popups), a executable called "OneClickLoader.exe" has been deployed to the same folder as OneClick.jar. It is important that you do not rename OneClick.jar until after runnning OneClickLoader.exe
3. right click OneClickLoader.exe and select "Run as Administrator" -- Setup should be run-of-the-mill.

It works with all softbricked condition basically.

Stuck in a boot loop?
Is it still able to boot into CWM(Recovery Mode) or Download Mode.
If it's still able to go back into Download Mode, you don't need this software.
Just turn your Captivate into the Download Mode and flash back to STOCK Eclair or Froyo using Odin 1 Click or whatever similar.

Problems and Comments
If you would like to comment on something post here on XDA
If you're unsure of something, post here on XDA
If you have a show-stopping bug, please use this form: http://code.google.com/p/heimdall-one-click/issues/entry
This is a list of all bugs reported: http://code.google.com/p/heimdall-o...+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary&cells=tiles

I am very interested in feedback. If you would like to test this, just put your phone into download mode and click the unsoft brick button. It will simply reboot your phone. It will not flash any firmware and it does not have the capability to do anything except release the locks which prevent a phone from booting if they are present.

Click Here to Download One-Click UnBrick 10July11 from GoogleCode
You will need Java installed on your computer: Do you have java?

chart

Disclaimer: All materials presented are for informational purposes. This content is not an authorization, advertisement, nor a suggestion to flash your phone with custom firmware. In no event shall I be held liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, spcial, exemplary, or concequential damages, including but not limited to loss of data, business interruption or damage to equipment. This information is released AS-IS with no written or express warranty or liability.

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Linux users, mark this file as executable:
Code:
chmod +x OneClick.jar

All platforms: Double Click to run, OR, right click and open with Java, OR from command line:
Code:
java -jar OneClick.jar

Releases
-Version1.0 3July11 initial release
-Version1.b 4July11 fixes windows 7 & Vista UAC. Thanks to Roddreick for windows UAC workaround binary.
-Version1.IIX 5july11 fixes Winodws 7 and Vista. Adds countdown to non-imperative notifications. Adds real-time monitoring to determine if dependencies are actually required on Windows, rather then blindly installing. Since windows is such a PITA, this was alot of work. This version will work if you have Java installed and OneClick.jar on your computer (no network shares) on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and all Debian based Linux distributions including Ubuntu and Mint.
-Version 1.SVNR33 9july11 Much smaller package size, decreased by 5 megs. Fixes browser launching on Linux/mac. Decreases logging level to 1. Adds Log to temp folder at level 4. Adds optional donations to Heimdall or One-Click. Adds Windows Problem Resolution Center.
-Version 1.FINAL 10July11 Fixed UAC issues, File may now be renamed on Windows, Left launcher as alternate method, added linux asthetics, fixed driver link

Major Operating Systems requiring testing
Mac OS-X Leopard
Mac OS-X Snow Leopard
Mac OS-X Lion
Linux Ubuntu 32
Linux Ubuntu 64
Linux Mint
Linux Debian
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

note: If you are having problems with drivers, This is caused by an invalid USB Device ID in the ROM installed on the phone.

If you'd like to contribute to the next version
Testing on your platform is as simple as putting your phone into download mode and clicking the button. It will simply reboot the phone if the phone is not bricked.
Grab the code from the SVN: checkout http://heimdall-one-click.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
You can modify the code with NetBeans: http://netbeans.org/downloads/
If you come up with a positive change, I'll add you to the SVN as a contributor or a committer to ensure you get credit for your work.

I'm always looking to make a new version. Please give feedback.

Last edited:

Rodderik

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
wow this looks neat...i will definitely fire it up next time i brick my epic! great job AdamOutler!

edit: tested and it did kick my epic out of download mode in windows

if the command above gives you issues on windows 7 then do the following:
click the start button
goto programs>accessories>
right click on 'command prompt' and select run as administrator
cd to your download folder (ie: cd c:\downloads\oneclick\)
then type 'java -jar OneClick.jar'

you should only have to do all of that the first time so drivers for heimdall can be installed correctly

AdamOutler is working a better solution for the windows crowd

Last edited:

splitnail

Mar 10, 2011
Milwaukee
Nice work man! Hope I don't have to try it out anytime soon, but I really appreciate the effort you've put into this and all your other projects. :cool:

Reactions: AdamOutler

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX
just as a heads up, not every environment will play nice with the "doube click to run" as the file is stored now on google code. if you're on linux, simply either chmod +x the file or do "java -jar ./OneClick.jar" to run it (assuming java is in your path). seems ubuntu (and derivatives, I guess) assume the jar file wants to be opened with archive manager by default, so set it to run with java beforehand (launched with sun java 6, didn't try openjdk)

add to that the application doesn't seem to reliably recognize heimdall 1.0.1 CLI... attempting to run it returns a blank version string but after updating to 1.0.2b it recognized it fine. not world-ending, but just something I thought you should be aware of.

I'm a bit more interested in your heimdall one-click attempts though, as I'd like to see something like that implemented for 2.2 (since not every captivate can go back to JF6 it seems)... I've been pointing people at the leaked JI6 odin one-click for now, as it contains all the necessary files and is usable on every device.

edit: looking a bit more over heimdall's implementation, does this simply run the "heimdall close-pc-screen" command in an easy to use GUI?

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamOutler

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
just as a heads up, not every environment will play nice with the "doube click to run" as the file is stored now on google code. if you're on linux, simply either chmod +x the file or do "java -jar ./OneClick.jar" to run it (assuming java is in your path). seems ubuntu (and derivatives, I guess) assume the jar file wants to be opened with archive manager by default, so set it to run with java beforehand (launched with sun java 6, didn't try openjdk)

add to that the application doesn't seem to reliably recognize heimdall 1.0.1 CLI... attempting to run it returns a blank version string but after updating to 1.0.2b it recognized it fine. not world-ending, but just something I thought you should be aware of.

I'm a bit more interested in your heimdall one-click attempts though, as I'd like to see something like that implemented for 2.2 (since not every captivate can go back to JF6 it seems)... I've been pointing people at the leaked JI6 odin one-click for now, as it contains all the necessary files and is usable on every device.

True... I'll add that to the first post.

Heimdall one-click is operational. I'm working the kinks out of it with the one-click unbrick first. I've sucessfully flashed my phone on all three platforms using heimdall one-click. I don't feel comfortable releasing something like that without thorough testing. This is basically testing for my one-click platform.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
can you do a write up on how to brick your phone, and the many ways to it.

Sure.. too easy.

Soft bricks:
Flash improper firmware which the system recognizes as improper
Prematurely terminate transfer
Flash with a bad cable

Hard Bricks:
Flash improper bootloaders
Flash mismatched versions of proper bootloaders
Flash bootloaders with a bad cable

D

Deleted member 2758866

Sure.. too easy.

Soft bricks:
Flash improper firmware which the system recognizes as improper
Prematurely terminate transfer
Flash with a bad cable

Hard Bricks:
Flash improper bootloaders
Flash mismatched versions of proper bootloaders
Flash bootloaders with a bad cable

Quick question: Does the Odin 1-click flash the primary bootloader? I think I may have hardbricked my cappy tonight. I went from cognition beta 1 (2.3.3) with new bootloaders and one-clicked to 2.1 the phone made it to rfs and then froze. Now it will do nothing. You think I killed it? Thanks.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Quick question: Does the Odin 1-click flash the primary bootloader? I think I may have hardbricked my cappy tonight. I went from cognition beta 1 (2.3.3) with new bootloaders and one-clicked to 2.1 the phone made it to rfs and then froze. Now it will do nothing. You think I killed it? Thanks.
that's a question for Q&A.

You'd need to check it out with UART for any answers.

leezrd

Nov 18, 2010
charleston,sc usa
So if I read the op and the links right there still isn't a non jtag solution for hard bricks? I asked toys becuase it seemed that with refering to the herr bricks and what causes them as well that you have found a work around... I probably just misunderstand it though.

SIGNATURE : Life is like a box of captivates, you never know if your gps will work

nelsonw

Jun 29, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Can this software fix the hard bricks? If yes.. too good, many thanks. You made the life less stressfull. :)

NO. Hard Bircks are mainly because of wrong Bootloaders, if that the phone is unable to boot, so can't access it. If its HardBricked my guess is only Samsung can unbrickit. BTW new GB bootloaders are un-brickables. They now has the hability to re-download a ROM on Phone<---->PC Screen.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try One-Click UnBrick... If that doesn't work:
    Try "3 button combo".. If that doesn't work:
    Try a "301k Factory Mode jig"... If that doesn't work:
    Try UnBrickable Mod http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1236273 (if available on your platform)
    If you require additional help, send me a private message, we can work something out.

Background
    I've been working on stopping the bricking problem on our phones for a while now.
    Ever tried JTAG unbrick recovery?--superhuman soldering skills no longer required for JTAG
    Developing methods to recover bricks without JTAG - I keep this updated with current information as it develops.
    ALL JIG VALUES here! --this will give you some resistor values to try
    Altered water damage indicators --um... just in case you lick your battery and need warranty replacement
    The Galaxy S Hack Pack--A compilation of resources for Galaxy S Phones.

I wanted to write some software which will help the user to understand what they are doing.. So I began the Heimdall One-Click project. http://code.google.com/p/heimdall-one-click/ Heimdall One-Click is not yet finished, but the Unbrick is complete. Heimdall One-Click is based on binaries from another Open-Source project, called Heimdall by XDA member Benjamin Dobell.

About One-Click UnBrick

This Software:
    • Will work on all Samsung devices which use Odin3
    • Is a single, portable executable
    • Is the first one-click anything for our devices on Linux
    • Works on Mac
    • Works on Windows
    • Is open source
    • Is programmed in Java
    • Deploys and installs Heimdall for your OS
    • Is super easy to use.... Only one button!

Demonstration video:

Image captured on Ubuntu 11.04:
    2d0gj1x.png

This software is completely safe. It is a part of my Heimdall One-Click project. I wanted to release this to work out any cross-platform difficulties which may be encountered before I release Heimdall One-Click.

Instructions
    1. Copy OneClick.jar to your Desktop-- or any other folder on your computer, It won't work on a network share.
    2. Double click. -- As long as you have Java installed On Linux and Mac you are up and running.

For some versions of Windows as a work around to UAC (User Access Control, the annoying popups), a executable called "OneClickLoader.exe" has been deployed to the same folder as OneClick.jar. It is important that you do not rename OneClick.jar until after runnning OneClickLoader.exe
    3. right click OneClickLoader.exe and select "Run as Administrator" -- Setup should be run-of-the-mill.

It works with all softbricked condition basically.

Stuck in a boot loop?
    Is it still able to boot into CWM(Recovery Mode) or Download Mode.
    If it's still able to go back into Download Mode, you don't need this software.
    Just turn your Captivate into the Download Mode and flash back to STOCK Eclair or Froyo using Odin 1 Click or whatever similar.

Problems and Comments
    If you would like to comment on something post here on XDA
    If you're unsure of something, post here on XDA
    If you have a show-stopping bug, please use this form: http://code.google.com/p/heimdall-one-click/issues/entry
    This is a list of all bugs reported: http://code.google.com/p/heimdall-o...+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary&cells=tiles

I am very interested in feedback. If you would like to test this, just put your phone into download mode and click the unsoft brick button. It will simply reboot your phone. It will not flash any firmware and it does not have the capability to do anything except release the locks which prevent a phone from booting if they are present.

Click Here to Download One-Click UnBrick 10July11 from GoogleCode
    You will need Java installed on your computer: Do you have java?

chart

Disclaimer: All materials presented are for informational purposes. This content is not an authorization, advertisement, nor a suggestion to flash your phone with custom firmware. In no event shall I be held liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, spcial, exemplary, or concequential damages, including but not limited to loss of data, business interruption or damage to equipment. This information is released AS-IS with no written or express warranty or liability.
    Linux users, mark this file as executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x OneClick.jar

All platforms: Double Click to run, OR, right click and open with Java, OR from command line:
    Code:
    java -jar OneClick.jar

Releases
    -Version1.0 3July11 initial release
    -Version1.b 4July11 fixes windows 7 & Vista UAC. Thanks to Roddreick for windows UAC workaround binary.
    -Version1.IIX 5july11 fixes Winodws 7 and Vista. Adds countdown to non-imperative notifications. Adds real-time monitoring to determine if dependencies are actually required on Windows, rather then blindly installing. Since windows is such a PITA, this was alot of work. This version will work if you have Java installed and OneClick.jar on your computer (no network shares) on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and all Debian based Linux distributions including Ubuntu and Mint.
    -Version 1.SVNR33 9july11 Much smaller package size, decreased by 5 megs. Fixes browser launching on Linux/mac. Decreases logging level to 1. Adds Log to temp folder at level 4. Adds optional donations to Heimdall or One-Click. Adds Windows Problem Resolution Center.
    -Version 1.FINAL 10July11 Fixed UAC issues, File may now be renamed on Windows, Left launcher as alternate method, added linux asthetics, fixed driver link

Major Operating Systems requiring testing
    Mac OS-X Leopard
    Mac OS-X Snow Leopard
    Mac OS-X Lion
    Linux Ubuntu 32
    Linux Ubuntu 64
    Linux Mint
    Linux Debian
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

note: If you are having problems with drivers, This is caused by an invalid USB Device ID in the ROM installed on the phone.

If you'd like to contribute to the next version
    Testing on your platform is as simple as putting your phone into download mode and clicking the button. It will simply reboot the phone if the phone is not bricked.
    Grab the code from the SVN: checkout http://heimdall-one-click.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
    You can modify the code with NetBeans: http://netbeans.org/downloads/
    If you come up with a positive change, I'll add you to the SVN as a contributor or a committer to ensure you get credit for your work.

I'm always looking to make a new version. Please give feedback.

True... I'll add that to the first post.

Heimdall one-click is operational. I'm working the kinks out of it with the one-click unbrick first. I've sucessfully flashed my phone on all three platforms using heimdall one-click. I don't feel comfortable releasing something like that without thorough testing. This is basically testing for my one-click platform.
    wow this looks neat...i will definitely fire it up next time i brick my epic! great job AdamOutler!

edit: tested and it did kick my epic out of download mode in windows

if the command above gives you issues on windows 7 then do the following:
    click the start button
    goto programs>accessories>
    right click on 'command prompt' and select run as administrator
    cd to your download folder (ie: cd c:\downloads\oneclick\)
    then type 'java -jar OneClick.jar'

you should only have to do all of that the first time so drivers for heimdall can be installed correctly

AdamOutler is working a better solution for the windows crowd
    Adam,

Great work man, have yet to try it, but I have a few questions.

Odin (for me) can be a bit fussy at times, and I have had to try several things to get it to flash through a complete process. Changing USB ports, pulling battery after digger screen is up, etc, etc.

Is Heimdall less "fussy" in your opinion? Or can we expect some of the same issues we run into when using Odin?

I appreciate it, thanks!

Yes, heimdall is less fussy. You just need drivers and heimdall.