best xperia play case

Search This thread

zero_1_2

Jan 30, 2011
Look at otterboxes new case for the xperia play. I can tell you its the best case for the phone.

gwaine

May 26, 2011
Looks very similar to the Verizon one except the Verizon one has some design details (circles around the SE logo) and doesn't have the Otterbox logo. The Verizon one is substantially cheaper too.

subcu1ture

Feb 24, 2011
Melbourne
Motorola Edge 20 Pro
I had an otterbox case for both my droid 1 and D2G. Loved them both. Wouldnt buy anything else. On my OG, I had the ring break 4 times and each time I emailed Otterbox they sent me out a free overnight replacement at not cost to me. Super awesome customer service. Here is the link for the otterbox for Xperia Play

http://www.otterbox.com/sony-xperia-play-cases/sony-xperia-play-cases,default,sc.html

So it broke twice and you are recommending them :)

Obviously costs them **** all if they are sending replacements like they know they are going to break.

Dyelon

Jul 27, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Im using the Trident Aegis Series for Sony Ericsson Xperia Play http://www.tridenteer.com/categories/Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play/Aegis-Series-for-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play/.

Its a very good case i highly recommend it. Id say either the otterbox or the trident case would be a wise choice for a case.

Hey dude, what does your aegis case look like at this point? I had mine for 4 days and on the 5th day I look at it and theres an outline on the front and back of it in a brown/greenish hue color. I tried alcohol, vinegar, cleaning solution to get it of but it won't go. I'm starting to speculate it is the color rubbing off.

Any ideas to fix this? I think the material is polycarbonate.

Michaelolio

Jul 28, 2011
STL
I've got the Verizon black case (the one with the circles rippling out from the SE logo) and it's definitely a case that looks good on it. I think if you dropped it at just the wrong angle though you could still mess up the phone pretty bad. Again, small chance to hit the floor in that way and a great looking case that gives personality to the phone.

Last edited:

Mozza2k11

Apr 21, 2011
Hey dude, what does your aegis case look like at this point? I had mine for 4 days and on the 5th day I look at it and theres an outline on the front and back of it in a brown/greenish hue color. I tried alcohol, vinegar, cleaning solution to get it of but it won't go. I'm starting to speculate it is the color rubbing off.

Any ideas to fix this? I think the material is polycarbonate.

I cannot see what you are describing. Mine looks like the day i got it. Apart from all the crap that sometimes sticks to the black polycarbonate parts but a simple wipe gets rid of most of it.

What colour is yours? Mines red, not sure if it matters. Tbh tho mines never in and out of my pocket (normally in my hand or in the car or on my desk e.t.c) so maybe i have this to look forward too? lol. Have you tried contacting trident and seeing if they have any advice?

I wouldnt have thought its the colour rubbing off since it should have been moulded in the colour of the case? Not coated? Not sure bud. Sorry i cannot offer any advice.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Ok so im basically tossing up between the otter and trident case as they are the main branded ones.

Can someone using any of these cases let me know which one makes the phone thicker than the other or what one has advantages over the other.

Im gonna grab the one which makes the play less thick with it on.

kakit78

Dec 1, 2008
PJ
www.m3gps.com
I dunno about you guys, i have tried all sort of design case, flipbook, flipdown, silicon casing, rubbercasing, hard casing...

and i think the best is what it is out of the box

xperia have the perfect thickness and the shape is very grib friendly, I dont see why we need to add on casing..

casing is for Iphone guy whose iphone is so fragile... xperia play cover is just a plastic, and it is easily changable... why add casing?

the choice is yours.

Dyelon

Jul 27, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Ok so im basically tossing up between the otter and trident case as they are the main branded ones.

Can someone using any of these cases let me know which one makes the phone thicker than the other or what one has advantages over the other.

Im gonna grab the one which makes the play less thick with it on.

The aegis case is extremely comfortable and nice looking....I switched from cyan to dark green and I like both....dark green stains less though.....I liked otter case but its only in black? Lame...I love colored cases....bling bling mofos!

Sent from my R800x using XDA App

Sep 14, 2011
Cologne
i`ve ordered the Trident aegis case in this army green colour,wanted the cyan at first but it`s a little too flashy .-) after i`ve read fantastic reviews,it is expensive,never spent that much on a phone case but i think from the looks and Protection it`s one of the best cases for the phone.

also,for me personally its very hard to play longer than half an hour with the xplay because the part with the gamepad is too thin,the outer edges are somewhat sharp and make it uncomfy to hold,resulting in aching fingers.and i push the power button often in shooting games making my screen go off..very annoying .-)

also the L and R buttons are a pain in the ass to press and the volume rocker feels like it`s falling out every second,its too short and it`s got a very cheap feeling..

i had a leather pouch with my xplay but i don`t like those cases as you have to pull out the phone for every little thing,so that pouch always ended without phone in my jacket because in hectic situations you dont have the time to put your phone back in the pouch .-) silicon cases i don`t like either.

Hopefully my Trident Case arrives soon,can`t wait to test it in a extended gaming session,looking forward that it will increase the grip and overall feel.

Last edited:

Dyelon

Jul 27, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
i`ve ordered the Trident aegis case in this army green colour,wanted the cyan at first but it`s a little too flashy .-) after i`ve read fantastic reviews,it is expensive,never spent that much on a phone case but i think from the looks and Protection it`s one of the best cases for the phone.

also,for me personally its very hard to play longer than half an hour with the xplay because the part with the gamepad is too thin,the outer edges are somewhat sharp and make it uncomfy to hold,resulting in aching fingers.and i push the power button often in shooting games making my screen go off..very annoying .-)

also the L and R buttons are a pain in the ass to press and the volume rocker feels like it`s falling out every second,its too short and it`s got a very cheap feeling..

i had a leather pouch with my xplay but i don`t like those cases as you have to pull out the phone for every little thing,so that pouch always ended without phone in my jacket because in hectic situations you dont have the time to put your phone back in the pouch .-) silicon cases i don`t like either.

Hopefully my Trident Case arrives soon,can`t wait to test it in a extended gaming session,looking forward that it will increase the grip and overall feel.

It's pretty solid dude....and good thing you didn't get cyan....I got that at first but the color faded and basically got stains.....they let me send it back for free and now I have the dark green.....it's not as cool looking but it's sleek and still looks the same it did the day I got it

Sent from my R800x using XDA App

Sep 14, 2011
Cologne
my Trident Aegis Case arrived today,took 14days to arrive from california to germany(cheapest delivery method) and i must say:i`m impressed!

the 2 parts fits like a glove,there is a silicone inlay in the backcover side,which makes it even more protected to heavy drops, the overall feel of the case is great,its very sturdy and the extra thickness is indeed really nice for gaming.now it feels like a real handheld portable gaming device! the volume rocker feels much more solid now and it`s optimal to press,also the L and R buttons and the power button doesn`t stick out so obviously as before,so no more nt intended power off while gaming,the case is kinda ergonomically formed .-) the case itself looks like some kind of underwater gear,which is a nice touch imho

only downsides i can find so far,the 4 buttons at the bottom are slightly hard to press because the edge of the cover is very near the buttons.but i think they are nonetheless badly placed/too tiny even without this case.(hoping for ICS on screen buttons).second there is no silicone plug for the usb cable opening,which would be a neat addition.

for the bulkiness,it adds definately some extra bulk and a little weight,you might consider this if you are wearing skinny jeans .-) but for me its ok,as i said,when you game with this case,it feels like a real handheld gaming machine.and theres a trident icon on the back which is anti slip,so no more slipping phone on the desk which is also nice.if you want a great case and the price is ok for you,get this one,especially if you game a lot with the Play,gives a complete new,great feel.

Last edited:

abrakadabra21

Oct 25, 2011
hey guys ,so i heard from my friend ,that he ever read about a hard case for slide gadget can harm that gadget "slider thing" ,so its can loose up ,its that true? ,because i already boght one like that hard case from ebay *i am sorry ,i can't pose any outside links D:
but i am too afraid too use it because of that rumor ,i already search it in google ,but can't find anything ,please answer :(

btw i am sorry if my grammar bad ,i am not usually using english xD

Last edited:

Russsy

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I have the same exact case Splinters69 bought on ebay. It feels really smooth and adds a bit of grip to the xperia play. It hardly adds any extra weight and the price is really good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well i just got my trident case... AND ITS SO GODDAMN GORGEOUS

@_@

It even hides the XPs mysterious hump .

I dont want to admit it but this might be worth the 24 usd i spent...

edit
    just noticed it covers the led! well that's a shame ;_;, didn't use it much but it was still nice to have.

compared to my other cases I actually find the hardware keys easy to press ;p.
    Verizon Xperia PLAY Hard Cover > All

gedc0034be.jpg

gedc0036f.jpg

gedc0042r.jpg

gedc0043s.jpg

It's not very heavy, doesn't add much bulk, the back naturally takes the battery cover with it so you aren't dual-disassembling to get to your battery, and it functions well without blocking off any buttons or making L/R keys harder to access (like SO many others do).

Additionally... it's just good-looking! I swear a lot of the cases were just too damn fugly to care how well they protected the phone; this offers protection, ease of use and doesn't make your phone look hideous :)

it looks weirder if it falls down without a case and blasts into a thousand pieces...
    Ok, so after reading through the 10 pages of replies in this thread, I'm thinking of buying the Trident Aegis Case.
    Its going to cost between 20-25 GBP to import from the USA, which isn't at all cheap for a case, seeing as though its mostly made up of a small amount of plastic and cloth. I guess the bulk of the cost is in R&D and the brand name.

I do have a few questions that hopefully somebody can assist me with:
    1. Does the case make the phone less or more comfortable than without? I dislike the shiny/slipperiness of the stock fascia.
    2. Is sliding the gamepad out impaired at all by this case?
    3. I hear that the speakers are somewhat blocked off by this case, but to what extent? does it considerably reduce the sound level or quality?
    4. Is pressing the R1/R2, volume and power buttons any more or less difficult with this case than without?
    5. What about temperatures of the phones components. I expect any case to affect them to a certain degree, but what about with this case, playing games with it on and such, is it going to overheat and decrease the life of the device?
    6. Is there anything else that I should be aware of? being unsatisfied with a case of this price, and after having to import it from overseas, isn't something I want to happen, obviously.

I always leave thanks for helpful replies.

Okay, so I've been using my red-colored Trident Aegis case for the Xperia PLAY since February 3, 2012, to be exact, and here are my answers to your questions:

Q: Does the case make the phone less or more comfortable than without? I dislike the shiny/slipperiness of the stock fascia.
    A: I kinda miss the way my Xperia PLAY looked and felt when handled back when I didn't have my Trident case yet. It just looks so sexy and you can't deny that. Remember that the case makes the phone really bulky, to the extent that I already consider the Xperia PLAY slim when in fact it is thick compared to other phones. As for me, since I have big hands, it feels really comfortable to hold, especially when playing a game, as there will be less strain on your pointy when using the L/R triggers because they just rest over the added bulk given by the case.

Q: Is sliding the gamepad out impaired at all by this case?
    A: Definitely NOT! The sliding mechanism is the same without the case: SMOOTH. No grinding like Otterbox does. ;)

Q: I hear that the speakers are somewhat blocked off by this case, but to what extent? does it considerably reduce the sound level or quality?
    A: As a musician, sound matters a lot for me. I came from using a long line of Walkman phones before coming to Android. You can barely hear the difference.

Q: Is pressing the R1/R2, volume and power buttons any more or less difficult with this case than without?
    A: As for the triggers, nothing's changed because they're exposed. For the power button and the volume rocker, I think they're easier to press with the case on. (Heard about the issue on the Xperia PLAY's volume rocker falling off? Trident case holds it in place.)

Q: What about temperatures of the phones components. I expect any case to affect them to a certain degree, but what about with this case, playing games with it on and such, is it going to overheat and decrease the life of the device?
    A: I don't know much about how heating affects life of the device QUANTITATIVELY, but as for temperatures, I max out at 35-38 degrees without the case, while 40-49 degrees with the case :( (though not always, I know heating reduces battery life). Heating is always a concern in every single brand of case. And oh, it heats like that maybe because here in the Philippines, it's awesomely hot you'd want to bunk in a bathtub for the rest of your life! :D

Q: Is there anything else that I should be aware of? being unsatisfied with a case of this price, and after having to import it from overseas, isn't something I want to happen, obviously.
    A: Overseas? Aren't you from the US? My Trident case came from Chino, California. :confused:
    Really, you won't ever regret having the case. I live in the Philippines and it came across Pacific from California, and no regrets whatsoever! AND PLANNING TO BUY AGAIN THE BLACK ONE! ;)

PS, it's pretty hard, I dropped my phone face down and everything's intact. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, you're from UK, I didn't notice your flag. My bad. ;)