[App] LifeDropper - the eyedropper tool for real life. [Now on the Android Market!]

Search This thread

sudo.adam

Jul 14, 2010
Montréal
As the title would suggest, this is LifeDropper - the eyedropper tool for real life.
LifeDropper is designed to determine the colour of objects in the real world, and then present you with what it finds.

Instructions are provided when you open the app. Please leave feedback and make feature requests! Bug reports are extremely welcome!

Important note regarding feedback: when providing feedback, please include your phone model, Android version, ROM version (if applicable), and a link to the logcat (preferably posted on www.pastebin.com). If you don't know how to provide log information, please don't ask for directions in this thread.

Another important note regarding feedback: be brutal. If you hate the icon, tell me. If you hate the layout of something, tell me. If you hate the name, tell me. If you hate the concept...don't tell me that. Also tell me good things. Lots of good things.

Without further ado,

Market Version

Happy tagging!

Last edited:

CptOxydizer

May 28, 2006
Nuremberg
Hey,

great idea!
Taking screens and analyizing colors seems to work for me, but upon saving and sharing, app crashes :( .

(replace 'xx' with 'tt', since i can't post links yet)
Log for save-crash:
hxxp://pastebin.com/9FhrUMNc
Log share-crash:
hxxp://pastebin.com/XB3U6xVE

Suggestion(s):
- change camera overlay (the bright rectangle in camera view)'s size, so that it reflects the number of pixels being analyized. (e.g. 1px analyzed: only cross, 144px -> 12*12 rectangle, 2500px = 50*50rectangle (you get the point ;) )
- make color values selectable (text), so you can copy/paste them somewhere else.

Besides that, great concept, icon is ok aswell ;).

Cheers!

EDIT:
almost forgot:
phone: Samsung Galaxy S2
android: 2.3.3
rom: XWKE7

Last edited:

sudo.adam

Jul 14, 2010
Montréal
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback and the logcat! I'll look into the issues you're getting. I assume you are using a different locale than en_CA or en_US (as it appears you are from Germany), and that's where the share issue is coming from. I was considering having the size change for the overlay, I think that'll be a definite feature now. :)

As for the save error, I'm confused. The logs don't appear to be showing me anything. Everything seems to be going fine and then suddenly my Activity is force finished. I'll need to do some more investigating in that department.
EDIT: The share logcat confuses me as well, even though I'm sure I know what the issue is. I think the developer of your ROM has set the log level to very low.

CptOxydizer

May 28, 2006
Nuremberg
Yep locale setting seems to be the problem. After switching it from de_DE to en_US saving and sharing are working fine.

Seems like everything from verbose upwards is being logged, i could give you a filtered log if needed?
(Fyi it's the stock rom if thats any helpful)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

sudo.adam

Jul 14, 2010
Montréal
I'll try to get some screenshots as soon as possible, unfortunately my phone's battery exploded. I have a new one on the way and it should be here in the coming days. If anyone else would like to post some screenshots they're welcome to!
(I've tried to take some through the emulator, but they don't work because a) I'm testing a camera-oriented app on the camera-less emulator, and b) the camera uses a surface which updates while the screenshot is being taken so they end up breaking.)

willverduzco

User Experience Admin
Staff member
Apr 30, 2010
Manassas, VA
screens attached :)

Attachments

• snap20110531_065340.jpg
    snap20110531_065340.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,367
  • snap20110531_065336.jpg
    snap20110531_065336.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,083
Nov 23, 2009
Shoudn't you have some way to calibrate the colors with a graycard? A color is highly dependent on the light that is emitted on it. A red object in daylight will give a diferent color than the same red object in fluorescent TL light...

sudo.adam

Jul 14, 2010
Montréal
@dirtsky are you using the en_US or en_CA locale?
@marko! I would suggest trying to redownload, I haven't heard of this issue as of yet.
@willverduzco :) thanks! There have been 300 downloads since last night thanks to the article!
@michaelarnauts I'm aware, but the thing is, LifeDropper is designed to capture colours as they are seen. If you see a colour under light, LifeDropper is viewing it in the same light.

An update that fixes the saving/sharing FC (due to locale) is now in the first post.

Last edited:

Cellulah

Dec 17, 2009
Wow, wonderful application! Working great on stock Droid Incredible... Few force closures now and then but still very useful!

Last edited:

rycheme

Jun 2, 2010
This is really cool. I bet someday you could do live updating with histogram data in the camera view!

Sent from my Thunderbolt das BAMF remix

sudo.adam

Jul 14, 2010
Montréal
@rycheme glad you like the concept! Awesome idea! I'm looking into doing capturing without having to take a picture (like Barcode Scanner).

Remember, if you like the app, mash the share button! ;)
The next update will include linking to the currently under-construction LifeDropper site for the share feature, so the link at the end will be a link to your colour.

solidkundi

Sep 27, 2008
i'm sure i'm not alone on this... I'd really appreciate it if my camera could focus on the middle portion before taking the picture....

i would also really love this if there was a way to calibrate this stuff... maybe print out

100% cyan box... 100% Magenta.....100% Yellow... and whatever other colour might be necessary...

by the way ... this is an amazing App!!!
If it comes to the market ...i'll definitely buy it...:D

Phone: Samsung Vibrant w/ Custom Rom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the title would suggest, this is LifeDropper - the eyedropper tool for real life.
    LifeDropper is designed to determine the colour of objects in the real world, and then present you with what it finds.

Instructions are provided when you open the app. Please leave feedback and make feature requests! Bug reports are extremely welcome!

Important note regarding feedback: when providing feedback, please include your phone model, Android version, ROM version (if applicable), and a link to the logcat (preferably posted on www.pastebin.com). If you don't know how to provide log information, please don't ask for directions in this thread.

Another important note regarding feedback: be brutal. If you hate the icon, tell me. If you hate the layout of something, tell me. If you hate the name, tell me. If you hate the concept...don't tell me that. Also tell me good things. Lots of good things.

Without further ado,

Market Version

Happy tagging!
    Post added to the XDA front page. Hope this gets your great app some exposure. :)
    @k4p741nkrunch I like that idea a lot! I'm definitely adding that to my list!
    @FatherStorm I've noticed that too, testing it on a Viewsonic G-tablet. I'll be looking into what's causing this, it does the same with other apps as well, and I'm concerned it's a thing to do with the Surface that the camera is using.
    @gthing consider it...considered! :)
    @Epiktetus I'm already looking into implementing camera flash toggling. I got you covered :)
    Alright, it's showtime! Here's the Market version of LifeDropper (huge improvements over the beta, please check it out!)

Let me know how I did in comments, ratings, and feedback emails!

https://market.android.com/details?id=ca.bitjutsu.lifedropper
    I downloaded the version from the Android Market and paid for the color names in app (I wanted to support). The application locks up once I select the tag button to select the camera image. It will hang for a period of time and then force quit. I submitted the force quit report as prompted by the application.

Platform: Samsung Epic 4G
    Software: Android 2.3.5