[APP] Sky Go for Android (UK ONLY)

Search This thread

TheIntruder

Jun 8, 2010
West Yorkshire
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hi, is it possible to stream Sky Go from a Samsung S3 mini?
We don't have a smart TV or chromecast or anything, but we have ps4, ps3, wii u and xbox 360 - I heard there's something called DLNA to stream to game consoles? Can you use DLNA with Sky Go on S3 mini?
Thanks for the help
In short no....
Edit hang on Xbox 360 supports sky doesn't it?

The_Energy

Nov 9, 2010
Hi,
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I have been trying to use the Sky Go android app in mainland Europe without any success.

I have tried a large number of the most popular VPNs but I get the same error message every time (You appear to be outside the territory etc...).

Does this app have additional security features to check your location (Google location settings)?

The web application still works fine for me but I would really like to get it working on my phone (HTC One M8).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adam

pangster

Dec 10, 2012
Hi,
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I have been trying to use the Sky Go android app in mainland Europe without any success.

I have tried a large number of the most popular VPNs but I get the same error message every time (You appear to be outside the territory etc...).

Does this app have additional security features to check your location (Google location settings)?

The web application still works fine for me but I would really like to get it working on my phone (HTC One M8).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adam

Not sure aboutSky GO Specifically - but Unotelly has never let me down. You just need to make sure your DNS setting have been updated correctly on the phone (through Android OS) and that you've selected two dynamic DNS servers from Unotelly and it should work. I've not had any problems using any other app with this setup.

Reactions: The_Energy

The_Energy

Nov 9, 2010
Not sure aboutSky GO Specifically - but Unotelly has never let me down. You just need to make sure your DNS setting have been updated correctly on the phone (through Android OS) and that you've selected two dynamic DNS servers from Unotelly and it should work. I've not had any problems using any other app with this setup.

Thanks pangster. Will give this a try. The last time I tried to change the DNS servers (with Unlocator) I couldn't seem to get it working but I probably did something wrong.

I hadn't heard of Unotelly before. :good:

pangster

Dec 10, 2012
Thanks pangster. Will give this a try. The last time I tried to change the DNS servers (with Unlocator) I couldn't seem to get it working but I probably did something wrong.

I hadn't heard of Unotelly before. :good:

no problem!! - just make sure you use the dynamic DNS servers and it's pretty much set and forget! ;)

popoutman

Aug 13, 2008
Broken root checking on the SkyGo app. Vanilla S6, no streaming

Recently, I've upgraded to an S6 from a (rooted) S4 active.
I installed the SkyGo app, and it's refusing to stream, thinking that my new device is rooted. It's a bog-standard S6, recently upgraded to Lollipop 5.1.1, official firmware, unrooted. Any app installs were direct from the Play Store, nothing was transferred from the previous device.

It seems that the support think that the app is "picking up on some extra firmware that is present", which makes no sense at all. Also there was "nothing they could do" about the situation.

I'd understand this if I had a rooted device, but it isn't. Pretty poor development of the application's root checker it seems when it triggers a false positive. If the app does a check of the existing installed apps I'll be pretty annoyed, as that isn't listed in the app permissions.

By the way, if anyone knows the email address for the app group, can you please PM me with it as I have logs for them. Something like "newmedia@sky.uk"

voyager_s

Jan 3, 2011
Huawei P30
Xiaomi Poco F3
I remember this thread from years ago. Have not had a chance to go through many years of posts, but I wonder...has anyone managed to outwit sky and get this thing working on a rooted device? :) not that I root devices anymore. Have not done so for many years. Just curious as I remember this app was pretty much impossible to crack!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So can someone with a non-compatible handset try this? Seems too simple, but I can't try it.

This is just a device and OS version workaround, not root.
    Sky Go More than 2 Devices

!!EDIT!! Some people have been finding when you create a new account when following this guide, the new account has the devices from the first account replicated into it, any modifications to the devices in the new account affect the original account, I am sorry but I think this is what is "meant" to happen when a new account is created. I dont know of any fix for this unfortunately. !!EDIT!!

Hey Guys, I made a post earlier in this thread stating I knew how to get round the 2 device restriction, several people messaged me asking me for instructions on how to do so, I didnt realise so many people had been restricted by it, however, I was at work and couldnt post a follow up then so here it is.

I am not sure where I should post this, but this thread seems a good enough place at the moment as here is where people will be looking at information about the android sky go app so here goes:

I am not sure if this should be possible via the sky system or whether its just a very unpublished "feature" but you dont have to do anything dodgy to do this, I noticed it was possible when i was setting up an additional user for my housemate.

Basically the gist of this workaround makes use of the ability to link multiple sky user accounts together, if you know how to create sky user accounts, the solution is as simple as to create some more accounts and add more devices to the other accounts. for those who dont know how to do that I have more details below.

I am not sure whether this works for people who pay for the online subscription rather than have the sky service installed in their house. I have sky installed and it works for me.
    !!EDIT!! It seems people who only have sky go subscription cannot perform the verify your sky id step and therefore cannot create additional users, not sure if this applies to everyone but quote below from skimminstones says it doesnt work for him with just a sky go subscription !!EDIT!!

Im not sure it does. You have to verify your id to be able to add additional users and i have been told by sky that as i inly have a skygo subscription and not an actual house installation then i cant verify my id. Seems its not available

Go here and login using your original Sky ID /password:
    (I dont think I can post links yet so you will have to make the link)
    https:// skyid. sky .com/signin/mysky

Go to Profile & Settings > Additional Users

Click setup an additional user.
    Follow the steps to setting up a new user, you need another email address and thats about it really.

Login on the unregistered device with the newly created sky ID/pw
    you will now be able to register 2 new devices to this account, the original account will still have the two devices registered.
    you can have 9 additional users so 10 accounts in total, meaning you actually register 20 devices, more than most people will need I would think ;)

Good luck, hope this helps those that where being restricted by two devices.

Please avoid replying to this comment in this thread, pm me replies and I will edit this post with information on peoples success with this if you would like. I dont want to hijack this thread at all as really want to see the Sky go app working on my phone.

If a mod wants me to move this somewhere else I am more than happy to do so, but I dont think XDA has a specific sky forum :S
    Wifi only tablets seem to be coming up with "unknown error" when trying to view channels. I have a Archos 70 and Hannspree Hannspad both of which are doing this. Both allow me to sign in but will not let me view any channels Sky News or paid. Also people with Nook Color and Asus Transformer TF101 seem to have the same. So how is the app picking up on this?

Interesting link - I think I know why this is happening, let me try something, I'll upload it in a bit.

EDIT: Try the 0.1.3 version. I can't test this at the moment for wi-fi only device, but the app runs without a problem on my phone.
    Hi great work guys.
    after downloading and installing the hacked sky go i no longer get the unsupported device message, i then choose a channel and it loads up to 100 percent then i get a streaming error (error:37) message. Anyone else having this problem?. Thanks again guys.

I also get the (error37) on my Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE SKATE) using all the skygo_test apks when trying to view Sky News.

Looks like this error is "live viewing general error" - has it ever worked? Could be temporary on their side.

Tried both apk 1.2 and 1.3 last night on an Acer A500 Iconia with unrooted Honeycomb 3.2 rom, still doesnt stream, just comes back with unknown error when trying to watch anything.

Right, here's an updated version that should get people further on wi-fi only devices. Not expecting any video still yet though. There's more of you than I expected!

Usual disclaimers apply: I'm not responsible if your cat runs away, your device gets bricked, Sky send you a bill for "those channels" and your wife finds out. Use this at your own risk.
    The .apk is below, please report whether it works.

According to Sky it should only work on:
    HTC Desire
    HTC Desire S
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Sensation
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy S II.

And it only works on Froyo (2.2) and Gingerbread (2.3), so no ICS yet using the official app.

There are also some issues with root and DRM begin not able to see some content.

credit to Sky for the app.

credit to gumbald for the upload.

SGSIIs look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22821145

Update:
    Can you please only post if you have something to add to the discussion, not a post saying how do i get this working on my rom.

To be helpful follow this guide:
    1) Try this APK out if the one on the first post doesnt work (Also
    thank gumbald for his hard work here while you are there):
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22801668&postcount=555

2) Check this spreadsheet (thank lennyuk for the spreadsheet management):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnLqAJT56SsbdGI2QWJYV1dodFpaWWk3QnkxLWNxN0E#gid=0
    look for your device, check to see what info is available for it if its found.

3)If you cant find your device And/Or you have more up to date info fill in this Form:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGVDOXNockJRanJZcEtmNWdEemVIdUE6MQ

4) If you have something useful to add like, "I got Sky working after flashing this rom found at this xda thread" then post here detailing what you did and what android device this worked on, otherwise keep this thread clean please.

5) If you are having issues with 2 devices only on Sky, check here for a possible solution:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22756430&postcount=118