[RECOVERY][21.Feb.12] ClockworkMod Recovery v5.5.0.4

Search This thread

alterbridge86

Retired Recognized Developer
May 27, 2010
Boston
Hey Everyone! So long story short, I ended up picking up a 8.9 tab and now we have a 100% confirmed working ClockworkMod Recovery!

So, quick and dirty instructions for users WITHOUT any form of CWM recovery on their device:

1) Download the attached ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar
2) Reboot the tab into download mode
3) Fire up Odin 1.85 and put the ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar in the PDA field.
4) Flash!
5) Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery :D

Quick and dirty instructions for users WITH some form of CWM recovery on their device:

1) Download the attached ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.zip to your device
2) Reboot the tab into recovery
3) Install the zip
5) Reboot :D

If, for any reason, you want to return to the stock recovery, simply download the P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar and follow the instructions above (with odin)!

DISCLAIMER: THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH LTE TABS!

Attachments

• P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar
    4.1 MB · Views: 38,149
  • ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar
    4.9 MB · Views: 94,029
  • ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.zip
    5 MB · Views: 48,585
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
I kinda "bricked" my tab yesterday trying to create a recovery.

Now it just continually boots to the splash screen then restarts.

I can not get into recovery.

I can get into download.

I tried the ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.6 but odin just hangs after setup connection.

Trying to download the stock recovery:

<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-dana

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
Thankfully Samsung devices are notoriously hard to brick ;)

So is the tab still booting into the OS? Or are you ONLY able to get to download mode?

Also, what did you do to try and create a recovery and what did you flash? If I can understand what has been done I can help you get up and running again :)

As for Odin hanging at "Setup Connection" when you tried to flash my recovery, it is likely just coincidence more than anything. Odin isn't the most dependable application...well, it is and it isn't...but getting stuck at Setup Connection is a common issue.

First tell me what you did yesterday so we can figure out how to proceed. Then we'll go from there!

nirogu325

Oct 15, 2010
I kinda want to volunteer as I am familiar with ODIN coming from a Vibrant but what's stopping me is 3 questions with all due respect. What's the related thread you were talking about at the OP? Are you sure that is the right 8.9 Stock Recovery? How did you find it as there is (at least) no American ODIN image as of today (checked Samfirmware as of this post)?

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
I kinda want to volunteer as I am familiar with ODIN coming from a Vibrant but what's stopping me is 3 questions with all due respect. What's the related thread you were talking about at the OP? Are you sure that is the right 8.9 Stock Recovery? How did you find it as there is (at least) no American ODIN image as of today (checked Samfirmware as of this post)?

Excellent -

This is the thread I was talking about in 10.1 section:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307242

The recovery is standard, regardless of region. In fact, with the exception of precompiled binary modules, the recovery is even identical to that of the 10.1 tab ;)

What I have done here is repacked the recovery image with a vanilla build of clockworkmod. This should work on both the P7300 and the P7310.

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes! :)

Bec07

Aug 13, 2010
Neither got flashed via ODIN, but I too tried to install CWM yesterday via the market app so my recovery is messed up to start with.
After trying to flash the two the tab wouldn't boot and I got an error about a failed update.

Flashed the bootloader file below with ODIN to get it to boot.

Code:
ID:0/010> Added!!
<ID:0/010> Odin v.3 engine (ID:10)..
<ID:0/010> File analysis..
<ID:0/010> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/010> Initialzation..
<ID:0/010> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/010> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/010> recovery.img
<ID:0/010> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/010> 
<ID:0/010> Complete(Write) operation failed.

Attachments

• BOOTLOADER_P7310_SMD_UNIFICATION.tar
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,871

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
Hmm ok...

So yesterday you tried the market CWM, which caused the tab not to boot at all? Then, you had to flash the bootloader to make it boot again?

I'm assuming you had a booting tab prior to trying to flash these files, but still had the borked recovery yes?

Bec07

Aug 13, 2010
That is correct, but the recovery was fine when i got the device, I used it to root.

I know I should do a full flash but I don't want to lose all my stuff.

Also flahing the bootloader somehow removed the cwm ?script? That was forcing the tab to try and boot into the borked recovery on each boot.

Last edited:

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
Damn that app does a number on the poor tab...unfortunately the best course of action is really to completely restock the thing - flash an entire rom through Odin with a repartition.

Since you are able to boot, you can back up all your data with Titanium backup, then move the data off your internal storage and onto your computer in case it gets wiped by the Odin flash.

Now i really wish I had an 8.9 because I'm curious if someone who hasn't got the messed up recovery tries to flash my file if it will go through or fail like yours and the Geologist.

Any takers? :)

nirogu325

Oct 15, 2010
Now i really wish I had an 8.9 because I'm curious if someone who hasn't got the messed up recovery tries to flash my file if it will go through or fail like yours and the Geologist.

Any takers? :)

That'd be me. Once I backup my apps, I will (give me some minutes and I will post the result as an EDIT post). If it fails, worst case scenario would be flashing the Asian ODIN image since it is the only one available. That one displays everything in Chinese but I can change the language. Sidenote: Damn I wonder what is taking so long to bring an American ODIN image of the 7310 live???

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
That'd be me. Once I backup my apps, I will (give me some minutes and I will post the result as an EDIT post). If it fails, worst case scenario would be flashing the Asian ODIN image since it is the only one available. That one displays everything in Chinese but I can change the language. Sidenote: Damn I wonder what is taking so long to bring an American ODIN image of the 7310 live???

Excellent! Let me know how it goes!

Reactions: cardenaswilly

nirogu325

Oct 15, 2010

It does not flash. This is what ODIN shows after following instructions:

<ID:0/010> Added!!
<ID:0/010> Odin v.3 engine (ID:10)..
<ID:0/010> File analysis..
<ID:0/010> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/010> Initialzation..
<ID:0/010> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/010> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/010> recovery.img
<ID:0/010> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/010>
<ID:0/010> Complete(Write) operation failed.

EDIT: Oh well...it's been a while since I last saw a "device-!-PC" screen.
EDIT 2: The "device-!-PC" screen vanished after one or two restarts as if nothing ever happened.

Last edited:

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
That's really weird, because I can even flash the p73xx stock recovery on my 10.1 tab and it at least goes through...it won't boot into recovery, as expected, but it at least FLASHES...

Maybe next question - are you guys using Odin 1.85? Also, are you using the driver from Kies or did you install a standalone driver? Try installing this driver:

http://www.multiupload.com/ISBTL9TADO

And then flashing after. It also may be worthwhile to switch USB ports after installing the new driver. Don't mind the p7510 in the file name, it works with multiple devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardenaswilly

nirogu325

Oct 15, 2010
That's really weird, because I can even flash the p73xx stock recovery on my 10.1 tab and it at least goes through...it won't boot into recovery, as expected, but it at least FLASHES...

Maybe next question - are you guys using Odin 1.85? Also, are you using the driver from Kies or did you install a standalone driver? Try installing this driver:

http://www.multiupload.com/ISBTL9TADO

And then flashing after. It also may be worthwhile to switch USB ports after installing the new driver. Don't mind the p7510 in the file name, it works with multiple devices.

Yes, ODIN 1.85. Will install that driver and see how it goes.
EDIT: Same result as pointed earlier, even after installing the quoted driver and changing USB ports.

EDIT 2: Wait a second. I think I might have figured it out. This does not work on an encrypted system, right? I think I'll unencrypt and then try doing this.

EDIT 3: Nope, unencrypted or not, it does not flash. Same result.
Sent from my GT-P7310

Last edited:
Reactions: Bec07

alterbridge86

May 27, 2010
Boston
Well, I have good news and bad news...lol

I was strolling through best buy this evening after dinner and made an impulse purchase...i'm now the new owner of a Galaxy Tab 8.9 :)

EDIT (10/22/11): We're back open! Confirmed working STOCK recovery is in first post...confirmed working CWM recovery coming momentarily :)

EDIT 2 (10/22/11): And we're official. ClockworkMod is 100% working :) Enjoy guys!

Now on to my next project...making this thing FASTER :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Everyone! So long story short, I ended up picking up a 8.9 tab and now we have a 100% confirmed working ClockworkMod Recovery!

So, quick and dirty instructions for users WITHOUT any form of CWM recovery on their device:

1) Download the attached ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar
    2) Reboot the tab into download mode
    3) Fire up Odin 1.85 and put the ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar in the PDA field.
    4) Flash!
    5) Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery :D

Quick and dirty instructions for users WITH some form of CWM recovery on their device:

1) Download the attached ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.zip to your device
    2) Reboot the tab into recovery
    3) Install the zip
    5) Reboot :D

If, for any reason, you want to return to the stock recovery, simply download the P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar and follow the instructions above (with odin)!

DISCLAIMER: THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH LTE TABS!
    Well, I have good news and bad news...lol

I was strolling through best buy this evening after dinner and made an impulse purchase...i'm now the new owner of a Galaxy Tab 8.9 :)

EDIT (10/22/11): We're back open! Confirmed working STOCK recovery is in first post...confirmed working CWM recovery coming momentarily :)

EDIT 2 (10/22/11): And we're official. ClockworkMod is 100% working :) Enjoy guys!

Now on to my next project...making this thing FASTER :D
    Got my GTab 8.9, rooted it, got SetCPU and i am looking on how to overclock. HOw i came here

Instructions seem kinda straight foward but the very second post is on a guy bricking his tablet. I have no clue what Odin is or how i can get CWM on my tablet? Anyone willing to give me a hand here, maybe a video?

Ignore the 2nd post. Download this and put it on your Tab's internal sdcard through USB connection. Go to the stock recovery (by holding VOL- while powering up and selecting the box with the Power button) and flash the file. Done. The link I gave you is from the newest Recovery from the Overcome ROM thread. No need for ODIN for that one.
    This is a honeycomb issue/feature it has nothing to do woth CWM. Just install kies and enable usb debugging.