[APP][Netflix V2.1.2] Netflix Rotation Enabled App - Black /Subtitle Size Fix for TV

Search This thread

Xavixma

Jun 8, 2013
Captions out of sync

Hello! I'm using official version 2.3 with an androip pc bluetimes mx5, and the captions are out of sync with Netflix. Have someone of you guys experienced anything similar? Any idea about how to fixing it?

Bests!

elmerohueso

Nov 29, 2010
Provo
Would it be possible to modify the Netflix app further to allow control via keyboard/gamepad/remote? It would make controlling the app a lot easier on Android set-top boxes.
Currently, I have to control it via mouse/trackpad.

Reactions: armorov

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010

I actually warned users about this app back when it was first discovered. There was a xda user that was taking my work and re-posting it, and similar apps were popping up all over the internet. Someone would complain about sync issues or color issues with my version, yet would say they found a different version on another site that worked. That version was in fact my version that had been posted elsewhere. I warned users to download directly from my links and not other sites because of that particular app you linked. You never know what you are downloading and you must be cautious.

To anyone who has worries about my version, don't download it. Simple as that. However, it is proven to be modified in only the ways I described. I could care less about your personal Netflix accounts. I have a great job and family, I have no need to try and screw anyone; on the contrary, I only wanted to offer more functionality to xda, functionality that I was already providing for my own Netflix experience.

Although it has been nearly two years since the malicious app you linked to was discovered, and I have note heard about it since. It is still a threat. Users should be cautious of the where they download their desired netflix version. Rest assured, xda would not let me continue to post this app if it was in any way malicious.

Have a great day, and sorry for no update. :D

oddspec

Sep 28, 2011
palm bay
Google Pixel 7
I actually warned users about this app back when it was first discovered. There was a xda user that was taking my work and re-posting it, and similar apps were popping up all over the internet. Someone would complain about sync issues or color issues with my version, yet would say they found a different version on another site that worked. That version was in fact my version that had been posted elsewhere. I warned users to download directly from my links and not other sites because of that particular app you linked. You never know what you are downloading and you must be cautious.

To anyone who has worries about my version, don't download it. Simple as that. However, it is proven to be modified in only the ways I described. I could care less about your personal Netflix accounts. I have a great job and family, I have no need to try and screw anyone; on the contrary, I only wanted to offer more functionality to xda, functionality that I was already providing for my own Netflix experience.

Although it has been nearly two years since the malicious app you linked to was discovered, and I have note heard about it since. It is still a threat. Users should be cautious of the where they download their desired netflix version. Rest assured, xda would not let me continue to post this app if it was in any way malicious.

Have a great day, and sorry for no update. :D

Keep up the good work man love this app and ur 100% correct xda protects its users I am not in the least bit worried this thread has been here a while and no one downloaded from u has posted any issues related to this :thumbup:

sent from my SGH - leet ( i337) using Tapatalk 4 beta

Reactions: Dblfstr

IcyTexx

Apr 7, 2010
Does anyone have the latest 2.4.0 Netflix APK?

I can't force the stupid Play Store to download it outside US.

Last edited:

neosree

Dec 8, 2008
@Dblfstr,
Possible to modify the latest 2.4.0 with this hack?

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Or can share what to edit for changing the subtitle size? I already decompiled the app, trying to figure what to edit for subtitle size..

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010
Hi there

I too suffer with this problem (like most people around here) and have been waiting for a solution.
I'm a developer and yesterday I finally decided to give it a shot and help you guys finding the spot.

I reverse engineered the latest netflix that was installed in my own phone and I found one spot that will work
for sticking a hard coded font size!

File: ./com/netflix/mediaclient/PlayScreen.smali

Method:
Code:
.method setSubtitle(Ljava/lang/String;)V

After the following invocation:

Code:
invoke-virtual {v2, v1, v3}, Landroid/widget/TextView;->setText(Ljava/lang/CharSequence;Landroid/widget/TextView$BufferType;)V

I put the following:

Code:
   const/high16 v5, 0x4080

invoke-virtual {v2, v5}, Landroid/widget/TextView;->setTextSize(F)V

I generated the above lines coding some random android application, packing and decompiling with apktool.

And I managed to change the font size. The number I used was just some random number (it was 4.0 and ended up too small), now we only need to find a suitable font size.

This is not the most elegant solution, but it works and because it sets the font size every time the subtitle text is set, it makes sure it doesn't matter whether the application tries to change it anywhere else.

I hope it helps cook the next APK with a decent font size we all long for!

@Dblfstr,
Possible to modify the latest 2.4.0 with this hack?

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Or can share what to edit for changing the subtitle size? I already decompiled the app, trying to figure what to edit for subtitle size..

See quote above.

DonPuri

Jan 29, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
Awesome mod! It's exactly what Im looking for my HDMI dongle. Maybe it's possible you upload a newer version of the app?

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

armorov

Apr 7, 2011
1.8.1 with big subtitles?

Hi, can you make the 1.8.1 version with only the hack for big subtitles? the 1.8.1 is the only version that works with Ouya without pauses everytime the ouya controller turns off.

You''ll be the hero for all ouya owners, we dont have an official netflix yet, meanwhile this can be our solution.

r0ottm

Dec 31, 2010
latest version

Anyone managed to get the subtitle hack working with the latest netflix app yet ? I ended up with even smaller letters than in the stock verison, and it would not change at all after changing the numbers. I also tried the version listed in this thread, but I was getting flickering/choppy video on my rk3066 tv stick.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First and foremost: A special thanks to John, Hartley, Sam, and Keith.

<**************** Netflix-Rotation-Color ****************>

netflix3_by_farfromthebox-d41vl6a.jpg

The stock app will only allow you to browse in portrait and stream in Landscape. This app is for those of us who do not want to be limited to only these two views. This app will now allow for the screen to automatically rotate when you rotate your phone. Now you can browse in landscape and stream in portrait [if you want...]
    The attached files are modified versions of the stock market V1.4.1
    I have edited some xml files to allow screen rotation while browsing or streaming.
    I have also altered the loading screens to GREEN, ORANGE, PINK, BLACK, BLUE, and the original Netflix RED.
    The icons are created by me and correspond to the color of the loading screens. Nothing else has been touched.

Updated to version 2.1.2 Black-Rotation & Black-Rotation with large subs. (3/1/2013)

Updated to version 2.1.1 Just Black this time. (1/31/2013)

>Updated to new version 1.5.2 (11/08/2011)
    >Enabled Rotation
    >Changed loading screen to Red, Green, Orange, Pink, Black, or Blue
    >Added custom icon with android logo: red, green, orange, pink, Black, or blue.
    All mods actually done by flappjaxxx per my instructions.

>Updated to new version 1.4.1 (9/23/2011)
    >Enabled Rotation

>Updated to new version 1.4 (9/9/2011)
    >Enabled Rotation

>Updated to new version 1.3 (7/20/2011)
    >Enabled Rotation

**************************************************************************************************************************
    **************************************************************************************************************************​

If one of these apps will not install, try clearing data and uninstalling your previous app first. This should fix it.

New Netflix Rotation Enabled Apps V2.1.1: (Edited by: Dblfstr, but thanks to flappjaxxx for the rest of the colored parts. :D)
    ───────────────────────────────────
    New Netflix Black:
    Netflix-Black-Rotation-V2.1.2.apk - 11.13 MB
    Netflix-Black-Rotation-V2.1.1.apk - 11.12 MB
    Netflix-Black-Rotation-V2.1.0.apk - 11.07 MB
    Netflix-Black-Rotation-V2.0.0.apk - 9.76 MB

New Stock V2.1.1:
    Stock Netflix 2.1.1:
    com.netflix.mediaclient.apk - 11.33 MB

**************************************************************************************************************************
    **************************************************************************************************************************​
    Stock Apps - Update Check Disabled

<**************** Thanks ****************>

netflixxda_by_farfromthebox-d41adsf.png

Please give thanks to the following:
    s0be for his research in proving my assumptions.
    Mistar Muffin for his in depth analysis.
    gottahavit for giving me the idea to do all of this.
    skyjedi for letting me hijack his thread for so long.
    diablo2224 for testing and for the volume fix information.
    dizgustipated for featuring my Blue Netflix in his ROM
    flappjaxxx for updating the 1.4 (and 1.4.1) (AND OTHERS )releases of Netflix per my instructions.
    taksen for creating the subtitle modification for large subs on TV

And thanks to everyone who has downloaded and helped me test this over the past few weeks! Keep supporting xda!

FIXED SUBTITLE SIZE FOR TELEVISION DISPLAY - BY TAKSAN

This version would not be possible without the work of taksen. If you feel it necessary to show thanks to someone, please go here. It is his original post with the modded subtitle app.
    Show taksen some THANKS!

Netflix Rotation Enabled Apps with large subtitles V2.1.2: (Edited by: Dblfstr, but thanks to taksan for the subtitle code. :D)
    New Netflix Black with large subtitles for output to a television:
    Netflix-Black-Rotation-LargeSubs-V2.1.2.apk - 11.13 MB
    Netflix-Black-Rotation-LargeSubs-V2.1.1.apk - 11.12 MB

Stock with large subs V2.1.2:
    Netflix-Stock-LargeSubs-V2.1.2.apk - 11.36 MB

SCREENSHOTS

Television before modification:
    Normal+subs.jpg

Television after modification:
    Modded+subs.jpg

I would send my apk (it works for sure, it's running on my mk802), but it exceeds my file size limit.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I just uploaded the APK that I tested and worked for sure in the following place:

http://ubuntuone.com/5OhHx9zl6wf0rBBvfrCpbh
    Check out previous post!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Here they are. Again Dblfstr made this all work I just put it in place. This should disable any update checks too. Please report back any issues

Netflix-1.5.2-Black-Rotation.apk
    Netflix-1.5.2-Blue-Rotation.apk
    Netflix-1.5.2-Green-Rotation.apk
    Netflix-1.5.2-Orange-Rotation.apk
    Netflix-1.5.2-Pink-Rotation.apk
    Netflix-1.5.2-Red-Rotation.apk