Google DNS

Search This thread

k0smo86

Nov 2, 2010
Lower latency in what regards? Connecting to the same server, google dns is always lower? How do you test this accurately?

zehkaiser

Sep 13, 2010
Used spedtest.net app latency is always lower than stock vzw dns.also u will notice an increase in page rendering times

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Lowered latency with increased rendering times? How does that work..? Throughput should be the same, regardless of the DNS used.

meshdub

Jul 24, 2010
loaded this up on RubiX 1.9.5. Before, Speed Test app would use the server in CA and give me ~120-150ms latency. Now it thinks I'm in KS for some reason (I'm in CA), so I get 300+. Not sure if it's the app freaking out or the DNS change affected it.

And when I try going in and changing the server manually, it doesn't even give me CA option because it's too far away from KS lol.

meshdub

Jul 24, 2010
Which app are you using for your speed tests? Is that Ca as in california or Ca as in Canada? Havemt had an issue with selecting server... im in san diego ca

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App
it's california, I should've clarified, sorry. Hmm weird then why it only gives me choices of KS and the states near it...
Oh and I use "Speed Test" app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

meshdub

Jul 24, 2010
Ok, I tried it again and it finally gave me Modesto, CA server. My latency is now 55 ms down from 100+. So this change definitely helps, thank you!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

meshdub

Jul 24, 2010
you might've missed my last post cause it was last on the previous page, but the issue fixed itself. I guess GPS wasn't updating correctly or something...
but no, to answer your question, I haven't really had any problems with location based apps. Hopefully that was just a one-time glitch with speed test

And I was using Google maps this whole weekend with no problems while having your patch applied.

jldeitch

Jul 23, 2010
Since it appears from the thread that using Google DNS doesn't break location-based apps, will you be reposting the how-to any time soon?

Thx!

meshdub

Jul 24, 2010
Since it appears from the thread that using Google DNS doesn't break location-based apps, will you be reposting the how-to any time soon?

Thx!

I still have the patch saved. If you PM me your email, I can send it to you.
I hope the author doesn't mind, since the only reason it was taken down was because of my bug report, which doesn't seem to be related to this change.

luca992

Aug 14, 2010
does anyone have a backup of the original files and know how to restore them? I kinda forgot to make a backup when applying this...

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
can someone post the link to this again so I can grab it? Appears the OP is never coming back so im not expecting him to repost it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Removed for now... seems to break location based apps. Will see if we can figure this one out