ROM installation problems

Search This thread

Roshi69

Mar 29, 2010
I've been flashing ROMs, recoveries etc for years on every android device I've had, from Samsung to nexus, HTC. Everything. This is my first Motorola and I'm having a lot of problems.

Unlocked the boot loader, flashed TWRP but wouldn't backup my stock ROM so put on Pholz recovery and it wouldn't backup either.

Tried to install C-Rom after the usual wipes and just sticks at boot screen. Tried Tweakone ROM I think its called and same problem.

Any ideas? I have the XT1032

I know about restoring to factory but what I'm asking is, is there anything specific I'm doing wrong? I'm quite an experienced flasher. Research is showing me how to recover the phone but what's gonna stop it happening again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ATRIXXIRTA

Mar 17, 2012
The Shangri-La Motel
A lot of users report issues not being able to flash rom's on 4.4.2 kitkat.

A fix is to downgrade to 4.3, then flash roms.

I dont know why. I bought my device upgraded to 4.4.2 already, and i can flash roms with no issues.

Search the forum for the topic and you will find the info you need.

deej_roamer

Mar 19, 2014
I've been flashing ROMs, recoveries etc for years on every android device I've had, from Samsung to nexus, HTC. Everything. This is my first Motorola and I'm having a lot of problems.

Unlocked the boot loader, flashed TWRP but wouldn't backup my stock ROM so put on Pholz recovery and it wouldn't backup either.

Tried to install C-Rom after the usual wipes and just sticks at boot screen. Tried Tweakone ROM I think its called and same problem.

Any ideas? I have the XT1032

I know about restoring to factory but what I'm asking is, is there anything specific I'm doing wrong? I'm quite an experienced flasher. Research is showing me how to recover the phone but what's gonna stop it happening again

It wont backup saying what error?

Roshi69

Mar 29, 2010
Twrp just said 'failed' in red writing after the data backup I think. And philz touch said something along the lines of Not being able to write a file into the \clockworkmod folder.

I bought the device with 4.4.2 on it and followed the guides after reading up about the problems etc but TWRP 2.7.0.0 had a lot of reports that everything was working on it so went ahead with it

Roshi69

Mar 29, 2010
I got the phone booted again by following a guide and flashing a stock rom.

Installed Philz recovery again and still getting the backup error. it says: E: Error while backing up boot image!

So understandably i am now scared to flash another rom in case i get a boot loop again.

*update* Strangely i flashed TWRP via CWM, rebooted into TWRP 2.7.0.0 and performed a backup successfully.

Last edited:

srujan21

Sep 23, 2012
Hyderabad
I got the phone booted again by following a guide and flashing a stock rom.

Installed Philz recovery again and still getting the backup error. it says: E: Error while backing up boot image!

So understandably i am now scared to flash another rom in case i get a boot loop again.

*update* Strangely i flashed TWRP via CWM, rebooted into TWRP 2.7.0.0 and performed a backup successfully.

Why dont you use Clockwork mod recovery for flashing Rom. I have flashed 10 Roms with that and all are backed up with out any problems. TWRP has no official support for moto g, and instead of all that why don't you try Cyanogenmod ?

Last edited:

TheSkweed

Nov 23, 2012
(sorry if my english is not perfect)

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with my XT1032.

Bootloader unlocked, CWM (6.0.4.7) successfully installed and backup done with no issues.
But custom roms won't load...
CM11 is stuck at "bootloader unlocked warning screen" and SlimKat is stuck at slimkat logo.

I never had such problems on my Nexus..

Please help me, I don't know what's going on :(

Ghoorg

May 14, 2014
I have exactly the same problem with my XT1032.

Bootloader unlocked, CWM (6.0.4.7) successfully installed and backup done with no issues.
But custom roms won't load...
CM11 is stuck at "bootloader unlocked warning screen" and SlimKat is stuck at slimkat logo.

Same here. It may be possible to downgrade to 4.3 (see here), but would it then be possible to flash a 4.4.2-based custom ROM ? I'm not sure.

Roshi69

Mar 29, 2010
Heres the steps I took.

*******Before device was stuck at bootloop*******

1. Bought phone (XT1032)
2. unlocked boot loader
3. Rooted
4. Flashed Philz Recovery (wouldn't backup rom)
5. Flashed TWRP and CWM with same issue.
6. Flashed 2 ROMs to try it (TweakyOne + C-Rom, Both wouldn't boot. and tried on all recoveries.

********Steps after being stuck at bootloop*******
1. Followed this amazing guide here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laU6NQ0LxR0)
2. Set up the stock ROM again
3. Flashed TWRP 2.7.0.0 via Fastboot
4. Backup worked successfully
5. installed CM11 and setup successfully
6. installed Lego rom just to assure myself (currently running this ROM)

I know this is no solution at all but just wanted to share my steps to see what maybe fixed my phone. possibly the stock 4.2.2 rom I flashed was the solution. Maybe the original factory ROM that came on the phone was the issue?