[How To] Flash Recovery Through Terminal Emulator (NEED S-OFF)

Which ROM Do you prefer?

• Cyanogenmod 7

Votes: 57 65.5%
  • Cyanogenmod 6

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Stock Rooted ROM by ChiefzReloaded

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

iDaZzLeFatHoeZz

Jan 5, 2011
Coon Rapids
MUST HAVE S-OFF!!!

Disclaimer: This is my first tutorial but I am in no way responsible for what happens to your device. Use at your own risk!

Okay so I just thought I write a tutorial for flashing recoveries in a Terminal Emulator.

1. (Skip to step 2 if you are running CM6 or CM7) The steps are fairly simple but first things first, If you don't already you need to have mtd0.img and flash_image which is located in the SlideEng-Package.zip which I will post below if nobody has it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFXNPXL5

So you need to get a program called Root Explorer from the market( Or any file manager that gives you root access) then you need to Copy and Paste both files to Data/Local/. Once you have those there then if you don't already have it you need to go to the Market and download an app called Terminal Emulator. Once you have that you are ready.

2. I recommend that you put your recovery image on the root of your SD Card.(You can put it anywhere it really doesn't matter) Okay so for flashing a recovery you would open the terminal emulator and type:

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/xxxx/xxx.img

The x's represent the file directories and the image name so mine would look something like:

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

It should then say writing to block xxxxxxxxxx. Once that is done it should say that it was successfully completed.

If that worked for you just thank me and congratulations!

Last edited:

jamal717

Oct 4, 2010
Can someone give me a detailed tutorial for S off the one in the forums is a little confusing im new to the game

copolii

Aug 26, 2006
Vancouver BC
mahram.ca
Damn .... ignore this ... I misread the topic ... I thought this would get me S-OFF AND recovery!

This is all I get ... tried from adb shell AND terminal emulator.

Code:
flash_image recovery recovery.img
flashing recovery from recovery.img
mtd: erase failure at 0x00000000 (I/O error)
mtd: erase failure at 0x00000000 (I/O error)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00000000
mtd: erase failure at 0x00020000 (I/O error)
mtd: erase failure at 0x00020000 (I/O error)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00020000

mtd: skipping write block at 0x003c0000
mtd: erase failure at 0x003e0000 (I/O error)
mtd: erase failure at 0x003e0000 (I/O error)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x003e0000
mtd: erase failure at 0x00400000 (I/O error)
mtd: erase failure at 0x00400000 (I/O error)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00400000
failed with error: -1

Last edited:

AiZ_04

Nov 28, 2010
Lahore
MUST HAVE S-OFF!!!

Disclaimer: This is my first tutorial but I am in no way responsible for what happens to your device. Use at your own risk!

Okay so I just thought I write a tutorial for flashing recoveries in a Terminal Emulator.

1. (Skip to step 2 if you are running CM6 or CM7) The steps are fairly simple but first things first, If you don't already you need to have mtd0.img and flash_image which is located in the SlideEng-Package.zip which I will post below if nobody has it.

So you need to get a program called Root Explorer from the market( Or any file manager that gives you root access) then you need to Copy and Paste both files to Data/Local/. Once you have those there then if you don't already have it you need to go to the Market and download an app called Terminal Emulator. Once you have that you are ready.

2. I recommend that you put your recovery image on the root of your SD Card.(You can put it anywhere it really doesn't matter) Okay so for flashing a recovery you would open the terminal emulator and type:

The x's represent the file directories and the image name so mine would look something like:

It should then say writing to block xxxxxxxxxx. Once that is done it should say that it was successfully completed.

I did all this, but it says, flash_image not found, also tried from fastboot, it says FAILED(remote: not allowed)

I have root from SuperOneClick method, and i have S-OFF, official t-mobile rom 2.2.1 and still stuck on original android recovery, I just need the clockwordmod recovery to delete out bloatware and t-mobile apps, to free up space, im quite happy with the original sense rom and dont want to wipe settings and/or flash a new rom. So help please!!!

robuser007

Jan 7, 2010
Does this also work on other phones (with their own flash_image,like for the advent vega?)

vermaekansh

Aug 20, 2010
flash_image not found

i have copied the zip file o the root and extract it there nd copied the two fies into /data/local with the help of root explorer....

after that in terminal ulator it says flashh_image not found...do i need to change the permissions ??

any solution to this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MUST HAVE S-OFF!!!

su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/xxxx/xxx.img

su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img