Claystone 1.0 Release (no more beta) New Android home screen replacement and launcher

Search This thread

claystoneinc

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 12, 2011
Toronto
** Claystone Launcher- A quick update and we just launched our first theme pack **

- A lot has been happened over the last month with Claystone Launcher
- We have now had over 14,000 downloads combined from the following App Stores:

Android Market
Android Freeware Market
Handango / Appia
SlideMe
MobiHand
GetJar
Handster
Aproov

** Themes **

- We just launched our first theme called BlueBerry and added skinning to the features
- We designed and launched a solid business user theme with a clear, crisp interface and colour scheme
- Our goal is to release many themes over the next few months (catching up wit the other launchers)

- Search Android Market fore the keyword "claystone" to install and see all the latest.

** New Features ***

- Besides themes we added sharing functionality and more customization and preferences (a big request from our users)
- Performance and memory management was tweaked and enhanced over a challenging 5 week period of intensive testing, retesting, and responding to user feedback and suggestions
- Launching a new home screen replacement has really been challenging because there are so many solid options already available
- Claystone works on more devices and adjust performance settings to match the hardware capabilities
- Performance can also be adjusted through Preferences if you want to tinker with speed and performance

** We Debuted Claystone on XDA Forums and your feedback is welcomed **

- We welcome your comments, feedback, suggestions and requests for additional Claystone themes.
- Inside the App you can conveniently "Share Claystone" item on the options menu to share Claystone with your friends.
- You can also conveniently rate Claystone and send the Claystone Team a feedback email from Claystone preferences

*** Thanks ***

- I thought I would take some time to reconnect with the XDA forum community and say thank you for all your support and feedback over the last two months.

- I have uploaded some of the latest screen shots and the current APK if you would like to see all the latest changes.

### Minimum Requirements

- Android smart phone or tablet
- Android 2.1 and higher
- OpenGL 1.1 and higher
- Normal screen size or higher
- Medium screen density (160 mdpi) or higher

Claystone Is Now Available in the following App Stores:

- Android Market
- Amazon Android App Store (soon)
- Android Freeware Market
- SlideMe App Store
- Handango App Store (Appia)
- GetJAR App Store

- Search for the keyword "Claystone" to install Claystone from Android Market
- To get the latest version use Android Market updates

Attachments

• claystone-1-updatte4.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,200
  • claystone-theme-blueberry-v1-3.apk
    180.7 KB · Views: 963
  • apps.jpg
    apps.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,498
  • widgets.jpg
    widgets.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,444
  • blueberry-theme-widgets.jpg
    blueberry-theme-widgets.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • blueberry-theme-contacts.jpg
    blueberry-theme-contacts.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,155
  • blueberry_desire.jpg
    blueberry_desire.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 930
  • blueberry_galaxy2.jpg
    blueberry_galaxy2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:

pantera70

Feb 15, 2009
Norwich
Initial impression is that its very confussing and difficult to use... it took me a while to work out what I was looking at. Don't get the widget folder as it negates what a widget is. I do like the potential concept, but this really needs a lot more thought into user experience.

To start with look at changing the folder controls to make them easier to select.

This is a very original approach and I'll going to watch this one with interest...

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Premium App

Reactions: chrisclaystone

ms_green

Aug 6, 2010
Often only shows black screen on HTC legend.
The dock icons are too big and there is hardly any customization possible.

But it is a really interesting idea and different from other launcher. I'll stay tuned.

Sent from my HTC Legend

claystoneinc

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 12, 2011
Toronto
Widget Question

Initial impression is that its very confussing and difficult to use... it took me a while to work out what I was looking at. Don't get the widget folder as it negates what a widget is. I do like the potential concept, but this really needs a lot more thought into user experience.

To start with look at changing the folder controls to make them easier to select.

This is a very original approach and I'll going to watch this one with interest...

We would really appreciate any more detail you can provide about Widgets. We are tweaking the UI throughout the beta program and any additional ideas or recommendations would be really helpful.

Kevin

pantera70

Feb 15, 2009
Norwich
We would really appreciate any more detail you can provide about Widgets. We are tweaking the UI throughout the beta program and any additional ideas or recommendations would be really helpful.

Kevin

Unless I'm missing something the only place to add widgets is in the folder at the top of the screen. This limited the use of widgets... for example if I add a 2x2 clock thats all I can see and use unless I expand the folder. This is compounded by the difficulty in using the folder controls. Widgets are supposed to provide quick and easy access and viewing of apps and info you use most, currently this is lost in Claystone... If you could make widget use a little more traditional it would go a long way...

Like I said previously though the whole user experience would be vastly improved if you added larger controls to the folders making it quick and easy to expand/close etc.

Like ms_green says the dock is a little large and it makes the screen feel a little cramped.

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
A very short review, sorry for being blunt:

* On my Droid Incredible: great, now applications are even smaller/hard to read. UI is not very responsive. Toolbar buttons are too small but making them any bigger would mean even less real estate.

* Tablet: Ooooh now you're talking! The layout makes much more sense, especially in landscape mode. This is actually getting closer to WebOs' take on multitasked UI.

I think this app has a great future on tablets.

Misleadingg

Nov 27, 2010
This is great!!! VERY GOOD!!! the concept is amazing

things u might want to improve:
The loading speed of panels are slow. Even opening the appdrawer takes no less than 3 seconds, not to mention browser etc

When u scroll vertically but a bit sideways on a panel it just pops u into another panel, very excruciating

Panels. seriously, all u can have is a home panel and a widget panel? i want to make my own (not just folders) for example media, games etc

"items" u can add. to be honest all there is is file explorer, browser and youtube (not to mention the youtube one really sucks). U need more of these "items", but i understand this is a beta

lol no offense

syrenz

Nov 21, 2010
I could see this possibly having potential on a bigger screen, like a tablet maybe. But as it stands things feel too cramped on my 3.7 inch screen. Also things are a bit slow atm.

GoCkillaz

Nov 2, 2009
It's an interesting concept, but implemented in a moderately confusing fashion. The widget box resizes widgets oddly, making things look bulky, etc.

Great idea, though.

Apr 13, 2011
Toronto
This is great!!! VERY GOOD!!! the concept is amazing

things u might want to improve:
The loading speed of panels are slow. Even opening the appdrawer takes no less than 3 seconds, not to mention browser etc

When u scroll vertically but a bit sideways on a panel it just pops u into another panel, very excruciating

Panels. seriously, all u can have is a home panel and a widget panel? i want to make my own (not just folders) for example media, games etc

"items" u can add. to be honest all there is is file explorer, browser and youtube (not to mention the youtube one really sucks). U need more of these "items", but i understand this is a beta

lol no offense

Thanks for the great feedback!
You can create more panels ("folders") as well, you can copy and paste any item in any panel. In our next drop we are going to make it simple by adding applications to the "create" menu.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Claystone Launcher- A quick update and we just launched our first theme pack **

- A lot has been happened over the last month with Claystone Launcher
    - We have now had over 14,000 downloads combined from the following App Stores:

Android Market
    Android Freeware Market
    Handango / Appia
    SlideMe
    MobiHand
    GetJar
    Handster
    Aproov

** Themes **

- We just launched our first theme called BlueBerry and added skinning to the features
    - We designed and launched a solid business user theme with a clear, crisp interface and colour scheme
    - Our goal is to release many themes over the next few months (catching up wit the other launchers)

- Search Android Market fore the keyword "claystone" to install and see all the latest.

** New Features ***

- Besides themes we added sharing functionality and more customization and preferences (a big request from our users)
    - Performance and memory management was tweaked and enhanced over a challenging 5 week period of intensive testing, retesting, and responding to user feedback and suggestions
    - Launching a new home screen replacement has really been challenging because there are so many solid options already available
    - Claystone works on more devices and adjust performance settings to match the hardware capabilities
    - Performance can also be adjusted through Preferences if you want to tinker with speed and performance

** We Debuted Claystone on XDA Forums and your feedback is welcomed **

- We welcome your comments, feedback, suggestions and requests for additional Claystone themes.
    - Inside the App you can conveniently "Share Claystone" item on the options menu to share Claystone with your friends.
    - You can also conveniently rate Claystone and send the Claystone Team a feedback email from Claystone preferences

*** Thanks ***

- I thought I would take some time to reconnect with the XDA forum community and say thank you for all your support and feedback over the last two months.

- I have uploaded some of the latest screen shots and the current APK if you would like to see all the latest changes.

### Minimum Requirements

- Android smart phone or tablet
    - Android 2.1 and higher
    - OpenGL 1.1 and higher
    - Normal screen size or higher
    - Medium screen density (160 mdpi) or higher

Claystone Is Now Available in the following App Stores:

- Android Market
    - Amazon Android App Store (soon)
    - Android Freeware Market
    - SlideMe App Store
    - Handango App Store (Appia)
    - GetJAR App Store

- Search for the keyword "Claystone" to install Claystone from Android Market
    - To get the latest version use Android Market updates

Often only shows black screen on HTC legend.
    The dock icons are too big and there is hardly any customization possible.

But it is a really interesting idea and different from other launcher. I'll stay tuned.

Sent from my HTC Legend

Kevin

Unless I'm missing something the only place to add widgets is in the folder at the top of the screen. This limited the use of widgets... for example if I add a 2x2 clock thats all I can see and use unless I expand the folder. This is compounded by the difficulty in using the folder controls. Widgets are supposed to provide quick and easy access and viewing of apps and info you use most, currently this is lost in Claystone... If you could make widget use a little more traditional it would go a long way...

Like I said previously though the whole user experience would be vastly improved if you added larger controls to the folders making it quick and easy to expand/close etc.

Like ms_green says the dock is a little large and it makes the screen feel a little cramped.
    Cool concept.

Some feedback:

- Panel space in the two panel view is just too cramped. Might want to consider changin the look of it. Maybe more transparency might help the user feel it's more "spacious". This would work much better on a tablet or in landscape orientation.
    - Terrible lag. Runs fine inside the two panel view panel buts, when I get to the one panel view or even the third full screen view, it justs lags a lot. Transition with the top left button is laggy as well. Can't say why as this seems like the most simplest view.
    - Can't add multiple widgets to the widget screen. I tried adding Fancy Weather, Music and then XDA. XDA cramped down to a line.
    - Force closes when I try to play Youtube videos EDIT: Working now, but only in portrait mode. Has to reload with every panel view change!
    - No panel for Gmail? This would be cool. One view of my inbox, another view with me composing a mail?
    - There should be a way to close all panels except the primary ones.
    - When I press back button it goes to my previous launcher(Launcher Pro) even though Claystone is set as default.
    - How do I get back to two panel view from full panel view? Right now, pressing back button from full screen view takes me to two panel view. Pressing back otherwise, takes me to my previous launcher.
    - I think making use of the back button in some way will go a long way towards making it more intuitive.
    - Consider making the whole top pane pressable instead of just that tiny top left/right button. Or maybe some swiping up/down action.

Will maybe post more when I find the time. As of now, this just feels unintuitive and unusable due to lag and FCs. But, the concept seems great, would work quite well on a phone in landscape mode.

I'm using a Nexus S.