[INFO] codeworkx will no longer make CM for the S4.

Search This thread

_Variable

Jun 10, 2012
Manila
Who will be our CM dev?

Update: Looks like w00tc0d3 will make CM for the Qualcomm version.

(Removed old sig)

Last edited:

zoot1

Jul 17, 2011
Navi Mumbai
onurface.blogspot.in
Re: codeworkx will no longer make CM for the S4.

Generally there were 3 developers who maintained samsung devices
1. Codeworkx
2. Entropy512 and
3. Xplodwild
Of them the first 2 have vowed to never waste their time on exynos
Xplodwild is still there but how much time he will have I have no idea..
It will be very difficult to get competent and experienced developers so quickly ..
So initially S4 will definitely be behind in AOSP development IMO

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mw86 and oswade

ThilinaC

Nov 19, 2008
Kandy
bit.ly
The way Samsung is treating the dev's & developer community I doubt anyone from CM team will be left with Samsung devices in near future :/

browy

Apr 1, 2012
Zürich
If you want CM or AOSP don't buy Samsung's devices. They never have offered any real support toward third party development. Ask Entropy512 and he'll tell you the whole story. They promise something but never live up to their words. I'm sure some people here still remember the Exynos saga.

plznote

Jun 1, 2011
Re: codeworkx will no longer make CM for the S4.

There's always the North American versions. :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

sturmtruppler

Sep 10, 2012
AW: codeworkx will no longer make CM for the S4.

Don't worry, S4 cones with Snapdragon 600, Exynos will be released late summer. I think dev support will be great! :D

Reviewers

Mar 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm pretty sure development support for this device will be poppin! The S3 and the S2 didn't disappoint.
Just wanna know who our CM developer will be.

vortox

Jan 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure development support for this device will be poppin! The S3 and the S2 didn't disappoint.
Just wanna know who our CM developer will be.

I wouldn't be sure of that. The most experienced devs for Exynos are sick of it and won't support S4. Maybe new will come, but will they as good as them?
CM is a community-project so devs are not forced to develop for a device even if it's popular if they want they do. I think S4 will be far behind other AOSP devices. Just take a look at S2 and S3. If you want CM don't for Samsung, go Sony or Nexus. Don't be disappointed about CM on S4 (if it will be released?), you have been warned.

harise100

Oct 20, 2011
AW: codeworkx will no longer make CM for the S4.

I'm using touchwiz based Roms since I got a S2.
My phones always work, they never let me down.
I see no reason to install a AOSP rom.
On a Nexus 7 AOSP ROMs are stock+extras.

Sent from my GT I9300

Reactions: james_pnut

Mittaa

Jan 18, 2009
Developing for a Samsung device is a nightmare.
End of story.

I warn any of you who expects a thriving developing community here to look elsewhere.
A popular device like this is no use if Samsung won't even support the devs here.

I really need removable battery and extra SD ... so where to go?
HTC One or Sony Experia Z :confused:

kejar31

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 24, 2010
Well for the Qualcomm devices (AKA US versions) I would expect Cyanogen himself to continue to support it as he has for the S3 (US versions)

That being said... I have little to no faith that VZW will have an ulocked bootloader so I am personally not even going to look at this device until that issue is taken care of..

Last edited:

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Well for the Qualcom devices (AKA US versions) I would expect the Cyanogen himself to continue to support it as he has for the S3 (US versions)

That being said... I have little to no faith that VZW will have an ulocked bootloader so I am personally not even going to look at this device until that issue is taken care of..

It's probably true for the Qualcomm versions.
You US people always get the good stuff! :(

Mittaa

Jan 18, 2009
Sarcasm, interesting.
LG Optimus G Pro.
A Snapdragon 600 device. :)

Just seen review from LG Optimus G Pro. Nice phone, good battery ... locked bootloader, bad bad bad support when it comes to upgrades and bug fixes (worse than Samsung!). And to be honest I hate iWhore(ish) glass back and front ... always use case anyway.
Liked the idea of Sony Experia Z water resistance ... but can't pull the battery and just so glossy, glassy :eek:

Damned I think I'ill stick with my old SGS2 ... best phone for me ever :good:

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Just seen review from LG Optimus G Pro. Nice phone, good battery ... locked bootloader, bad bad bad support when it comes to upgrades and bug fixes (worse than Samsung!). And to be honest I hate iWhore(ish) glass back and front ... always use case anyway.
Liked the idea of Sony Experia Z water resistance ... but can't pull the battery and just so glossy, glassy :eek:

Damned I think I'ill stick with my old SGS2 ... best phone for me ever :good:

Viva la Galaxy brother! SGS2 all the way! :good:

Reactions: mw86

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So just to confirm, people are suspecting the US Snapdragon variants will receive the support to continue development?
    I think I saw there will be two of those variants right, the GT-I9505 (International) and SGH-I337 (AT&T). Would they both share the same dev forum or will one version be favored?
    Nothing is ever guaranteed or set in stone until it happens, however:

I believe Cyanogen himself is picking up the AT&T version. I wouldn't expect it to be too problematic to do the bringup due to being Qualcomm-based.

International version probably doesn't have a maintainer lined up yet

So the CM team is retiring for the time being? They will not develop anything at all for a while?

Will getting an S4 with the Qualcomm processor still enable us to get some custom roms?
    No, the CM team is not retiring. The CM team is 80+ people.

However, the majority of the work on the Exynos 4210 and 4412 devices (I9100 and I9300 and close relatives) were done by a core team of about 4 people (5-6 if you count atinm and others that retired back in the Gingerbread days), with maybe 5-10 other frequent routine contributors. All of those core people and the routine contributors that worked on Exynos4 devices are going to other devices from other manufacturers, or outright retiring for a while.

The Qualcomm-based devices have a completely different maintainer team and those people are likely to pick up USA GS4 variants.

lol at these articles not doing a good enough explaining that all this hoopla is referring to the exynos version. They all mention it in passing, and their headlines are all stupid.

Of course qualcomm version will still get tons of support.

Yeah... A lot of the articles had AWFUL headlines... There's a big difference between the Qualcomm and Exynos devices, and there's also a major difference between "future looks bleak" and "absolutely not".

For Qualcomm-based GS4s, the future of CM on those devices looks quite positive. No guarantees, of course. If having stable CM is important to you, wait until stable CM is released for a given device before you purchase it.

For Exynos-based GS4s, the future of CM on those devices looks very bleak. No one has yet to express interest in doing a bringup/being a maintainer for it. The maintainers who have worked with previous devices have said that they absolutely not will be moving forward. But if someone else steps up to the plate, it could get support. I personally don't think that's likely - look at the Note2, codeworkx held back for a few months with the LTE variants before picking one up in order to try and give someone else a chance to step up to the plate. Similarly, it's been known that the Exynos GS2/GS3 family were on minimal life support for ages, but we're still active enough to review patches as they come in... There have been light contributions for minor fixes, but not major work being done by anyone.

The only time so far CM has definitively said NO to support of devices has been the announcement that devices with the Snapdragon S1 series of processors would end the line at CM7 due to lacking proper graphics hardware for CM9 and later. Down the line the team will probably have to make similar announcements for other devices (Tegra2 is barely hanging in there due to lacking NEON support, but that architecture's fate is not final yet.)
    Generally there were 3 developers who maintained samsung devices
    1. Codeworkx
    2. Entropy512 and
    3. Xplodwild
    Of them the first 2 have vowed to never waste their time on exynos
    Xplodwild is still there but how much time he will have I have no idea..
    It will be very difficult to get competent and experienced developers so quickly ..
    So initially S4 will definitely be behind in AOSP development IMO

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I won't be in the game for this one, for the same reasons as cody and entropy.
    Even without teamhacksung I'm 99.9% sure there will be cm and aosp...of course its gonna have bugs...and it will probably take longer to fix them...but eventually this phone will get a fairly stable cm/aosp Rom.

HTC is no better then Samsung with releasing source...actually imho HTC is worse...they actually put hidden codes in the kernel to prevent use on aosp roms...it took months for the devs to figure out how to get in-call Mic working on the HTC vivid because HTC decided to add security codes to prevent non-sense Roms...who's to say they won't do that with the ONE? -just food for thought...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Highly doubtfull. Till date only Team hacksung has been able to bring-up AOSP ROM's on Samsung devices. Yes there are lots of AOSP ROM's for Samsung, but all of them
    wait for team hacksung for CM bring-up and use their changes to build further. Even AOKP and PA uses CM/Team Hacksungs device tree's.

It requires experience and lot of work. I hope someone comes up, but since no new dev has come up for S2 or S3 and existing ones are burned out I doubt it.

HTC did not promise anything. Samsung did, on various occassions and broke the promises. Last promise was to release fully working source for Exynos 4 which was given
    as BBQ event by Samsung's engineers themselves.Samsung had set target of 21st Dec 2012 for initial relase of sources. Nothing has materialized till date.

Samsung screwed up lot of devices due to superbrick bug and took ages to fix it. They endangered previously safe devices like I9100 with a update even after knowing about this
    bug for 3-4 months.
    How much is the pay to be a dev?? :D :laugh:

BTW, what made him quit??

To understand whole story, read from here.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/101093310520661581786/posts/cdPnNjLAb4F

It's a nice read.
    Here's something to ponder. Based on their market share, 70% of Android devices sold in 2013 will be Samsung. If the most recognized and largest development supporter of the Android platform (CM) boycotts Samsung their relegating themselves to 30% of the market. Since enthusiasts (us) make up 5% of device sales, even if every enthusiast boycotted Samsung too, it wouldn't mean a thing to Samsung. And since nature abhors a vacuum, leaving 70% of the Android market unsupported by a credible entity (CM), some enterprising soul or group will create one to capture what CM left behind. And that new larger-than-CM entity will support 70% of the market while CM will be left with the fragmented pieces of what's left. CM's smart. You can see it in the wording they used in their recent statement about not supporting the SGS4. I'm sure there not going to self-immolate to prove a point no matter what any of their individual team members or groups may say to the contrary.

Except you forget we're a volunteer organization. Not supporting a device would not cause us to self-immolate. Supporting a device consumes a valuable resource: Time. It doesn't provide any significant benefit to CM as a whole whether a single given device is well-supported or not.

Has the fact that all Exynos4 devices are stuck at bugridden nightlies despite them being on the order of 10-20% of our installed devices caused CM to implode? No.
    Has anyone replaced the CM Exynos4 maintainers that have throttled back their Exynos4 work to only a tiny fraction of their free time? No... We get occasional contributions from others, but they're rare.