[COMP]what's so special?

Search This thread

ralle.gade

Sep 13, 2009
i have got an eye for this device in months but then consideret "what if it's locked or has a perfect spl???" do any of you think this will happen?

i have also been looking at the specs of Nexus versus Bravo

Nexus: http://www.google.com/phone/static/en_US-nexusone_tech_specs.html

Bravo: http://www.htc.com/www/product/desire/specification.html

and i can't find big difference

is the thing wich turns of the sound of an incomming call software based?
does the desire have more sensors and addons than Nexus which is not software based? (and beside the FM radio)

will htc actually be sloppier than google with the updates and kernel releases?
will it be easier to work with the nexus kernel than the htc as there probably will be more updates?

and last but not least why should i pick a Bravo instead of a Nexus? (beside HTC Sense)

thank you in advance to bear over with my indecision!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarfuchs

Apr 20, 2008
The Google Nexus isn't sold here?!

And Desire will be sold.

I think thats a big difference.

Or where can I get a Nexus

Isn't NExus US only?

Last edited:

ralle.gade

Sep 13, 2009
nexus will allso work in europe and it will come 2 europe it just hasn't arrived yet!
im gonna get mine from usa btw, but i have seen many companys selling the N1 in denmark for 4500 kroners and above
which is a skyhigh price as i can get it for 3080 in USA without shipping (7.5 euros=1 DK) :D

JTHM

Aug 10, 2005
Northants
What I would say is take serious consideration of your country's import duties and taxes, and the method of shipment before you buy.

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, one time it actually worked out significantly more expensive for me to order some AV equipment from the USA than ordering it from the most expensive store I could find it at in the UK. This was purely due to the US shipper sending the item by courier and quoting the full description and value on the shipping documents. Upon its arrival in the UK the courier submitted it to UK customs (levying their own fee +VAT for doing so), customs then charged their import duty, and then iced the cake with full UK VAT ...that all stung me for an extra 32% on the US retail price + shipping.

...we talk about "Rip-off Britain" in the UK but it's our own Customs & Excise who are the worst culprits of ALL.

Anyhow, all I'm saying is beware, and work out those charges. I worked out that the N1 would cost 480-490GBP delivered from Google US whereas I've pre-ordered the Desire at Clove for 430GBP.

Mind you, having said that I got a pair of Oakley Juliette Ducatti sunglasses (270GBP in the UK) delivered from the US for 132GBP - but they were posted as a gift so big savings can be made.

Last edited:

JTHM

Aug 10, 2005
Northants
...will htc actually be sloppier than google with the updates and kernel releases?

What I'm sure we will find is that HTC will not keep up with Google with releases and updates of Android ...absolutely certainly not once the Desire 2 is announced. They may issue one or two updates during th first year but once the phone is sold what incentive do they have to put time and effort into putting out updates. No, the only updates we are likely to see are those which take no resource to implement or they will put on their new retail phones in order to keep up with the N1 and will subsequently be released on their website.

However, with the N1 being Google's showcase Android device, Google has every incentive to keep the N1 as up-to-date as possible throughout it's life or until the hardware can no longer support Android so that users can show off to their mates and colleagues "Look what my Android can do today!". Hopefully then, those mates and colleagues will go out and get the next latest Android device (Nexus Two maybe?) to be part of it.

JTHM

Aug 10, 2005
Northants
...and this situation will be even worse for phones supplied through network operators who spin their own cuts of the OS.

My wife's Orange HTC Hero went in for repair last week and by understanding from the Tech Support is that the latest Android ROM for the stock Hero is 2.7. Unfortunately, as my wife's Hero is branded from Orange it's stuck on 2.6 and I expect will be forever more. I have no faith in Orange releasing an Android 2.1 ROM for their legacy Heros.

Last edited:

Polarfuchs

Apr 20, 2008
1. you really should know about VAT and customs duty. Because here in Germany everything under 150€ has no customs duty and everything under 22€ does not need VAT when imported. So be aware of the exemption limit.

2. Google will only keep updating the nexus one till there is a nexus two. :(

Polarfuchs

Apr 20, 2008
maybe but let me tell one example.

I bought a torch from China. It was shipped as a gift.
But the german customs duty personell did look into the package and they did figured out the trick. So I had to pay VAT (because no gift and over 22€). (no customsduty duty because under 150€)

s161008

Dec 12, 2008
What if it is shipped as a gift will that make a difference??

Doesn't matter gift or not. Customs always look at the total value and if they do not know the total value of the goods, then you will be at the mercy of the custom officer, because then they will estimate the value! In either cases you will be screwed by customs - if caught :rolleyes:.

As for The Netherlands all goods that enters here, if I'm not mistaken from the 2008 terms & conditions on import duties, valued above 175 Euro will not be exempted from any tax duties - if caught :rolleyes:.