Upgrades and other devices discussion here

Search This thread

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please use this thread for upgrade and or other other devices discussion.

Be respectful of others in doing so. Thanks

Last edited:

ewa12321

May 19, 2010
Aaa... I didnt saw this one. So I post my post here:

So Samsung made their S5 water resistant. Is Samsung going to release S5 Active?

I hope there will be S5 Active and future Actives toi. I really like hardware buttons and LCD screen. No typical AMOLED burned pixels.

What do you think? Will you move to S5? Me not. I like my S4 Active.

Are ee becomming new ui? I hope so, I saw small improvement s that helps uu and it looks less ugly. I want slow montion live hdr and focus change for oyr S4A.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9295 przy użyciu Tapatalka

D

Deleted member 5657508

So Samsung made their S5 water resistant. Is Samsung going to release S5 Active?
Doubt it, why would they?
What do you think? Will you move to S5? Me not. I like my S4 Active.
No, for the following reasons:

My phone's already water resistant and dust resistant.
I already have a 3000mah (zero lemon) battery (200mah larger than S5).
I don't want a finger scanner or heart rate sensor.
While the processing power would be nice, my phone (with CM10.2 and other tweaks) already benches higher on AnTuTu than any other devices average (except phablets). Should last me a while.
While I would really like a better camera, I usually have a DSLR on me anyway, and this wasn't my main concern last time either.
No real design changes?
Is there any other hardware changes at all?

I will miss the updates and wider support that it would achieve though, but I'm willing to wait for a Note 4 for that.

vanyel

May 24, 2012

While the processing power would be nice, my phone (with CM10.2 and other tweaks) already benches higher on AnTuTu than any other devices average (except phablets). Should last me a while.
While I would really like a better camera, I usually have a DSLR on me anyway, and this wasn't my main concern last time either.
No real design changes?

I will miss the updates and wider support that it would achieve though, but I'm willing to wait for a Note 4 for that.

S5 is like an inch upgrade of S4 Active, of course, with all the high end AMOLED, camera MP.. Basically that's it. S4 is cheaper and works well, especially coupled with some nice custom roms. BTW.. the 3000mah battery, the brand name is zero lemon??? Samsung doesn't have a larger capacity battery for S4 active. :crying:

Reactions: husvik
D

Deleted member 5657508

S5 is like an inch upgrade of S4 Active, of course, with all the high end AMOLED, camera MP.. Basically that's it. S4 is cheaper and works well, especially coupled with some nice custom roms. BTW.. the 3000mah battery, the brand name is zero lemon??? Samsung doesn't have a larger capacity battery for S4 active. :crying:

Yes, the brand name is Zerolemon :)

crispy1805

Oct 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
Maybe?

The lack of development for this phone hampers it. My old SGS3 was better. It still works, but when it fell a year ago, it was cheaper to upgrade then to get the screen replaced.

I like the active, but the recent upgrade has broken more things than it fixed. I miss having changing out roms and being able to customize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

mythi

Mar 1, 2013
Amman
Ive ported the at&t 4.3 stock rom to the i9295 but 3 things not working :crying:

WIFI and Ril (calls ,messages,etc)

Camera :D

hope i can upload a test build soon !

Reactions: propov

propov

Dec 2, 2008
Frankfurt am Main
I had every top model from top manifacturers.Note 2/3,S 3/4,Mega 6.3,Nexus 4/5,XPZ,Padfone 2,One...and now return to Active for second time.For me its perfect.Top phone with no scare from BBQ,home and care repairs... :) I can use it with dirty hands and finaly both washed,its so easy!

monkeydogger

Feb 13, 2012
Not Likely

After the appalling support the S4A has received from Samsung I will be changing to a Google nexus device or HTC. If it weren't for the likes of Spelgelius / Mythi / LeJay I'd be throwing the active in a deep dark river....

I'm lucky in that I get an upgrade every 8 months or so by passing down my phone to my lad, who then passes his to my wife.... Everyone gets a NEW phone... just mines the newest!!

ShimaMiku

Jun 17, 2007
New England
After the appalling support the S4A has received from Samsung I will be changing to a Google nexus device or HTC. If it weren't for the likes of Spelgelius / Mythi / LeJay I'd be throwing the active in a deep dark river....

I'm lucky in that I get an upgrade every 8 months or so by passing down my phone to my lad, who then passes his to my wife.... Everyone gets a NEW phone... just mines the newest!!

Are you talking support accessory-wise? I mean, it shares many things with the s4 like the battery, and the software just upgraded to 4.4.2, so I'm not sure how that is appalling. The only one "official" accessory I wanted to see was a wireless charging back. Le sigh.

TwoStroker37

Jun 21, 2013
I've sent my S4a off to Samsung warranty repair twice now since last June. I purchased the phone the first day it came out at ATT. I also put it on T-Mobile the first day it came out.

Twice now I've had to send mine off to Samsung for the back button that stops working. First they gave me a new replacement phone, and recently they replaced everything but the main circuit board (new screen, bezel, buttons, charge port, etc).

I have less than 2 months left of warranty, so I'm not sure what I'm doing past June. Probably getting an S5 (AKA = S4 Active version 2.0).

I will NOT own this S4 Active without a warranty, it's proven to be a POS.

May 10, 2014
Saipan
I have a question, (I'm sort of a noob) but, I upgraded to Stock 4.4.2 TW XXUCUNE5 and I want to get the custom rom Ressurection Remix 4.4.2, will this brick my device?
Sent from my GT-I9295 using XDA Free mobile app

captaincado

Jan 30, 2012
I've sent my S4a off to Samsung warranty repair twice now since last June. I purchased the phone the first day it came out at ATT. I also put it on T-Mobile the first day it came out.

Twice now I've had to send mine off to Samsung for the back button that stops working. First they gave me a new replacement phone, and recently they replaced everything but the main circuit board (new screen, bezel, buttons, charge port, etc).

I have less than 2 months left of warranty, so I'm not sure what I'm doing past June. Probably getting an S5 (AKA = S4 Active version 2.0).

I will NOT own this S4 Active without a warranty, it's proven to be a POS.

I'm on my 4th Active, had a problem with echoes during calls, and that was on the 1st day. Probably going to the G3 or M8....watching the G3 thread for bootloader unlock.

adam01v

Apr 3, 2014
Stockholm
I have a question, (I'm sort of a noob) but, I upgraded to Stock 4.4.2 TW XXUCUNE5 and I want to get the custom rom Ressurection Remix 4.4.2, will this brick my device?
Sent from my GT-I9295 using XDA Free mobile app

Ressurection Remix rom do not officially support S4 Active.

See resurrectionremix.com under list of Devices.

A correct installation of a supported custom rom for your device will not brick your device.
Forcing or installing a custom rom that is not supported for your device can brick your phone.

Since you upgraded to stock 4.4.2 you have now when in download mode Knox flag 0x0.
Any installation of a custom rom on your device will set the Knox flag to 0x1 and is irreversible meaning warranty will be void.

Caboose27

Jun 28, 2012
Bellaire
I bought mine off ebay, and tbh, I thought I was getting a regular S4. I'm kind of surprised at the lack of support for this phone too for as much as they hyped it as being super awesome. I do like it, though I'd rather have the regular S4. What I *really* want is to be able to run BeanStalk on it (it runs on the other S4 Active, not sure what the distinction is), but I'm holding on to this phone until it dies, hoping to buy a PhoneBloks style phone next.

I bought mine off ebay, and tbh, I thought I was getting a regular S4. I'm kind of surprised at the lack of support for this phone too for as much as they hyped it as being super awesome. I do like it, though I'd rather have the regular S4. What I *really* want is to be able to run BeanStalk on it (it runs on the other S4 Active, not sure what the distinction is), but I'm holding on to this phone until it dies, hoping to buy a PhoneBloks style phone next.

The i537, which you have has a locked bootloader and the i9295 does not. What this means is that the bootloader with verify the signature of every zip file that you try to flash, the i9295 does not have this restriction. This means that they are able to flash custom kernels and custom recovery while us on the i537's cannot.

The i537 can flash custom ROMs that are based on the TouchWiz kernel through SafeStrap, however BeanStalk uses a custom kernel which means it cannot be installed you can flash it through SafeStrap and the phone will not boot. The ROM will be looking for a custom kernel and when it cannot find it, it will bootloop.

AfXv237

Apr 8, 2013
Hello,
I've just rooted my S4 Active i9295 with stock firmware 4.4.2 and managed to delete 27 apps that came preinstalled that I've never used such as ChatOn, Samsung apps etc. Are there any other tweaks that can improve my phone's performance? Is there something that especially needs to be deleted or what else should I do next to improve its performances?

Thank you

Droidilc

Oct 29, 2014
Games lag alot like subway surfer, and even sometimes keyboard too. It has 2GB ram, still dnt understand why. I hve very less apps installed. Reply is theres any solutions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Free mobile app

spdivr

Oct 11, 2007
Current state of custom ROMs on S4 Active?

Hello,
I have an AT&T S4 Active, SGH-I537. I have been able to root it, but haven't gone on to put on a custom ROM because the last I heard, the jackwagons at AT&T locked the phone down. But it looks like it is possible to do this now, but I am not sure because the forum posts are not clear. Is this possible?

If so, I am looking for something very fast, light and clean and for all the hardware to work. Is this available?

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: wldtravel26

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have an S4 Active I537 which I recently installed the rooted deoxed OC7 Lollipop firmware. I have been having a hard time trying to get the Xposed framework to install.
    Please any help
    Also can I upgraded my Samsung i537 to mash mellow

No, there is no way to upgrade the i537 to marshmallow. STOP POSTING THE SAME QUESTION TO 10 DIFFERENT THREADS. You have no idea how irritating that is. If you had bothered using the search function, you might've come across this useful post (I found it in 10 seconds): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64615107&postcount=573

Edit: REALLY??!! You're posting this question to Galaxy S5 threads now, how could you possibly think that would get the answer you're looking for??

And you posted this dumb cookie cutter post to a Galaxy S3 forum thread, dude take the time to learn how to use this forum correctly, this is juvenile behavior.

To elaborate, the i537 cannot be upgraded to marshmallow because there has been no official marshmallow release for this specific phone (and almost certainly never will be). This means a custom rom with a custom kernel would be required to run marshmallow, but the bootloader is locked down on this phone and unlockable. A locked bootloader means you simply cannot install a custom kernel on this phone, it will not boot if you try. Only custom roms that can run on the stock kernel can work on this phone; marshmallow will not run on the stock 5.0.1 (lollipop) kernel, therefore this phone cannot run marshmallow. This is why locked bootloaders suck

No real design changes?

Ive ported the at&t 4.3 stock rom to the i9295 but 3 things not working :crying:

WIFI and Ril (calls ,messages,etc)

Camera :D

hope i can upload a test build soon !
    Current state of custom ROMs on S4 Active?

Hello,
    I have an AT&T S4 Active, SGH-I537. I have been able to root it, but haven't gone on to put on a custom ROM because the last I heard, the jackwagons at AT&T locked the phone down. But it looks like it is possible to do this now, but I am not sure because the forum posts are not clear. Is this possible?

If so, I am looking for something very fast, light and clean and for all the hardware to work. Is this available?

Thanks for any help!
    Hello,

Thanks for any help!
    You have to use SafeStrap. There are limitations to the types of ROMs you can use, so make sure you read before you do anything.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448942