Button-less Wake!

Search This thread
The main defect with the Note 3 is that it requires a button-press to wake-up.
Let this thread be a collective bounty of alternative solutions until we can Slide2Wake which requires kernal changes and AT&T to unlock the bootloader.
Sign this petition in the meantime while you read on:
http://www.change.org/petitions/at-t-unlock-our-samsung-galaxy-note-3-bootloader

Working solutions:
-Use a proximity sensor app (very hit and miss) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.omd.autoscreenon&hl=en)
-Use the S View cover (also hit and miss and unpreferred by many)

Any other solutions please add!

TheDriller

Jan 31, 2012
Augusta, GA
Why would you want a huge wake lock like that? A simple press of the home button is much easier IMHO. I'd rather not have to swipe across the screen to turn the screen on

Reactions: Jammol
Why would you want a huge wake lock like that? A simple press of the home button is much easier IMHO. I'd rather not have to swipe across the screen to turn the screen on

You're right. It's a considerable battery drain. The surprising thing is.. in the end, the smoothness of button-free operation becomes *worth it* IMHO.

I turn my phone on and off a lot to check stuff. I'll look at my to do list then press the corner SwipePad shortcut to turn it off. Then I'll remember something while moving up a bit in the line and **without even looking down for a button** and half-entranced in contemplation still I'll swipe from one side of the phone to halfway to the other and it is ON by the split second both my hands hold it to to make a note or reminder, look up something, etc. after which i'll immediately press the corner shortcut again to turn it off and my phone stays in one hand while I people-watch.

For some reason this is much more relaxed and makes me feel like the phone is like a second brain where I don't even need to create mnemonic devices called loci as much like I used to.
Maybe that's what's making my memory kind of crappy. Maybe should go back to doing that for my to-do lists. Might improve my memory. ANYWAY. my point is:

(1) it's less mechanical effort to swipe and
(2) I like to save my buttons and don't want to eventually have to replace the home button on the Note 3 for like $50 or whatever.

I guess it's not that big a deal.
If I did have that feature though I wouldn't miss anything else from past phones especially since the Note 3 is big enough to fit in one hand BARELY and could do a HALF-swipe to wake feature.
**pretends to do it now**
I'm crazy.

wudien

Feb 15, 2012
Columbia
I would like a solution to this as well. Tried the light sensor app but that wasnt working well. Really wish we had tap-on.

I really like not hitting any physical buttons because this phone is huge and unwieldy. Still love it though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spazedog.xposed.additionsgb
I assigned the power button to holding down the back button. That saves a little bit of button-life.

The app also is designed to support the same while the screen is off... but it doesn't seem to work yet.

Would be super awesome though to be able to turn the screen off and on while the back button is held. Just not there yet.

Screen on with swipe is the next best.. though much more battery intensive.

Last edited:

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
Has anyone just simply tried pressing the simple wake button on the side of the phone once? I mean you already have your hand on it most of the time since it is where your fingers are if you are holding the phone in one hand.

Also for you slider guys, it takes many more muscles to frown and it is the same to slide. Much better to smile and press one single button already under your thumb when you are holding the phone.

Has anyone just simply tried pressing the simple wake button on the side of the phone once? I mean you already have your hand on it most of the time since it is where your fingers are if you are holding the phone in one hand.

Also for you slider guys, it takes many more muscles to frown and it is the same to slide. Much better to smile and press one single button already under your thumb when you are holding the phone.

Congratulations Captain Obvious. You are the first person to ever think of that!
/\/\ sarcasm /\ /\

Read above about my experience with button-less waking in the SGS2.
Besides that, you're wrong, my thumb is actually closer to the screen than the power button when I am holding it.
And it's no effort at all. That's the whole point. It's the same slide necessary in receiving a call. No physical PUSHING required.
I can turn my phone on twice per second easily by linking one of the touch buttons to "power" as well. With zero concern for screwing up any physical buttons.

Anyway please only write in this thread if you have something that will contribute to the idea of "button-less wake"
I'm only looking for creating solutions to that.

Roundtableprez

Jun 27, 2011
I can turn my phone on twice per second easily by linking one of the touch buttons to "power" as well. With zero concern for screwing up any physical buttons.

Well it looks like you've solved your own problem right? So should this be closed? I'll answer my own question, yes

Sent from my SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Well it looks like you've solved your own problem right? So should this be closed? I'll answer my own question, yes

Sent from my SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

I'm talking about my SGS2 (last phone).

If Note 3 has a button-less wake feature then can close this.

I think that won't happen till ATT lifts the lock tho..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.