Thunderbolt Inductive charging

Search This thread

theherkman

May 31, 2011
Can you remove the solder? Yeah I'm sure you can scrape it off or use some desoldering methods. I don't really see the reason to care. It wont void your warrenty. You didn't actually mod anything internally if you're using the contact points. It's the official way to wireless charge it (just not paying the official price).

So you are saying that soldering the contacts on the back of your wireless phone doesn't void your warranty? ... You're kidding ... Right?

yareally

Feb 19, 2011
codingcreation.com
So you are saying that soldering the contacts on the back of your wireless phone doesn't void your warranty? ... You're kidding ... Right?

Fine, don't believe me and don't do it. Your phone, not mine :p. Not my job to convince you to do it. Super glue (probably not a good idea, since the area around the battery gets hot) them for all I care or don't do it at all.

Last edited:

kudosmog

Aug 2, 2010
You can always desolder it, so I don't see how it would void your warranty, unless you left it there.

theherkman

May 31, 2011
I've never used a soldering iron before. I didn't really understand the way it works. After playing around, I believe you are right about not leaving a trace. :p

nl3142

Jun 11, 2011
Will using the inductive charging back affect the ability to charge through the MicroUSB port?

Also, what is the range on the inductive chargers? Specifically, can they work through an Otterbox Defender?

Pender1

Apr 6, 2011
Will using the inductive charging back affect the ability to charge through the MicroUSB port?

Also, what is the range on the inductive chargers? Specifically, can they work through an Otterbox Defender?

no. and I have no idea, but possibly not.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

by the way, the back is $2.99 right now on Verizon's website

nl3142

Jun 11, 2011
Are any of the Powermats compatible with Qi devices like the thunderbolt battery cover or do I need to find a different mat like the energizer one?

nl3142

Jun 11, 2011
Ok, time for an update since I just got my charging back as well as the Energizer dual charging mat.

1. It does work through the Otterbox Defender (plastic and rubber) but you have to position it just right otherwise the green light will just go off after a second or two and it won't charge. In other words, the range is barely long enough to go through the Defender.
2. You have to remove the foam pad in the back of the otterbox case to make it fit and even then it is kind of a tight fit. At least there is no gap between the top of the otterbox screen cover and the screen now.
3. It works fine with the Rezound battery.

Slack3r

Feb 17, 2009
Well I got the official cover and a palm touchstone charger, but nothing happens when I try to charge it. Am I doing something wrong or are they just incompatible?

I have one of the palm backs on the way, I'm going to try my hand at modding the stock cover.

Last edited:

bbolton_98

Mar 3, 2008
Pensacola
Samsung Galaxy S20
You can mod the door to work with palm charger or the energizer qi charging pad also work with then door unmodded. I purchased the energizer pad from target online for 45.00. It works perfect with inductive door on thunderbolt and inc2. For the price I wouldn't mod to use palm charger. I do have experience with modding and tools but for less than 20.00 bucks difference its not worth my time.

ThunderStick

Oct 30, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
www.androidmodmarket.com
Well I got the official cover and a palm touchstone charger, but nothing happens when I try to charge it. Am I doing something wrong or are they just incompatible?

I have one of the palm backs on the way, I'm going to try my hand at modding the stock cover.

Probably cheaper to just do the right thing from the start and get all the correct hardware. In my experience anyway.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk

bladestonez

Mar 9, 2011
Does anyone happen to know if the coil can be removed from the inductive cover and put into an extended battery cover and still fit. I was tempted to try it and just give it to my girlfriend if it doesn't work but figured I would see if anyone knows first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Palm mod

I performed the Palm mod by taking the coil out of the Palm Pixi Plus case and soldering it into the TB. I bought the case and Palm Touchstone from Verizon's website. I noticed that after the mod the largest current draw I have is ~250mA. When plugged in with a wall AC charger I get up to 800mA. Has anyone else performed this mod and is experiencing the same results?

Have cover what do you need to know?

get infected ( InfectedRom.com )
    Have cover what do you need to know?

get infected ( InfectedRom.com )

Do you have a multimeter (voltmeter) handy that you can do some checks for us?

Mainly need to do checks on the connection points for the back cover to see which connections are positive and which are negative.

If you can, take a reading with a multimeter with the case back on and connected (as best as you can do it since the multimeter wires will have to go under the case).

Also try another reading right after taking the case perhaps as well.

If that isn't enough details, just let me know.

EDIT:

I may not need you to do it after all. The multimeter I used was busted I think. I tried a different one and the bottom right one is + and the top left one is - and the other 2 are not used. I'll report back when I get it set up. I need some wire from the store today.

Appreciate the offer to test though.

EDIT2:

I tested attaching wires to the gold prongs under the case and it showed as "charging (inductive)" when hooked up to the hp touchstone charger. I don't think it's possible to really hold them in place for a permanent solution without soldering though. They're just too tiny.

However, anyone that has been holding off wanting to do inductive charging without the $40 dollar case back, go find a cheap case backing for a palm pre/pixi and take off the coil and attach to our phones and to the prongs located next to the battery. Easy peasy and no opening up the phone itself (which would void the warranty for sure). You can get the touchstones for the HP pre/pixi + ac cord for dirt cheap as well (4 to 5 bucks). So total, you would be spending a max of say 16 dollars or so for the case back + touchstone + ac cord instead of probably 80+ for "official" stuff for the thunderbolt.
    Wow, this is super cool. I am doing this ASAP.

Links from amazon are below for anyone else interested.

Back cover is $4.00 (NEW).

Charger is $4.97 from verizon (NEW).

How are you holding the contacts on to the gold points? Tape? Does the coil fit inside the battery compartment with the back closed all the way? Is the charging speed equivalent to wall charging or is it the lowered voltage (usb equivalent)?

They're soldered to the points (with tape over that). I don't trust any other way to make them stick there.

Yes, it fits (barely).

Induction charging probably takes 20-30% longer. Keeps the usb port from wearing out though. I had it happen once on a blackberry before my 2 year contract was up. Ended up rigging up a usb cord to charge on the dock points for it directly by slicing it open.

You'll need a cord to go with the charger as well (verizon also sells them cheap, just look for palm pre/pixi ac cords). You could use the one that came with your phone though, but I just liked having another one (and they're cheap [like 4 dollars] and better quality than the HTC one).
    Just an fyi if anyone is still looking for the charging back...

Found this -> http://www.amazon.com/HTC-ThunderBo...726&sr=8-4&keywords=thunderbolt+charging+back

not sure how reputable the company is, but its all I could find.