[HOW-TO] Fix 5 vibrate and black screen

Search This thread

Scotte.dont

Dec 29, 2011
5 vibs of death with out root

I have a droid incredible that used to have this problem. I flashed back to stock, rooted,followed the guide and everything seems to be back in order. There is one thing that seems to be off. The phone is fully functional but it sometimes will randomly go into the 5 vibs of death. A battery pull usually fixes this. Sometimes it takes days before this happens.

I have found one commonality to this and I think it is the phone's battery. Shortly after this problem occurred, I installed cm7.1.0 and turned down the processor speed to 614MHz and put the governer on ONDEMAND. This almost seemed to fix the 5 vibs. Now it only 5 vibs if I'm using an app that causes the phone to heat up a little (like a game)

I then went to my friend who I purchased this from (she had never rooted the device). She told me that the phone had occasionally rebooted on her before while using google navigation. She said it just rebooted not 5 vibs.

I was thinking a new battery would possibly fix it? I really wish I new what the 5 vibs actually meant.

goblue13579

Sep 23, 2010
I have a droid incredible that used to have this problem. I flashed back to stock, rooted,followed the guide and everything seems to be back in order. There is one thing that seems to be off. The phone is fully functional but it sometimes will randomly go into the 5 vibs of death. A battery pull usually fixes this. Sometimes it takes days before this happens.

I have found one commonality to this and I think it is the phone's battery. Shortly after this problem occurred, I installed cm7.1.0 and turned down the processor speed to 614MHz and put the governer on ONDEMAND. This almost seemed to fix the 5 vibs. Now it only 5 vibs if I'm using an app that causes the phone to heat up a little (like a game)

I then went to my friend who I purchased this from (she had never rooted the device). She told me that the phone had occasionally rebooted on her before while using google navigation. She said it just rebooted not 5 vibs.

I was thinking a new battery would possibly fix it? I really wish I new what the 5 vibs actually meant.

This sounds like a hardware issue to do with overheating, as google nav heats up the device a lot too. The 5 vibrate mode is (as best I can tell) a hardware management interface, because it shows up as a Qualcomm device in windows when connected in this mode. There are no openly available tools to use it to my knowledge though. This would lead me to believe that a new battery would make no difference, but it's a much cheaper fix than anything else so I might try it after the below idea.

One thing you could try is get a phone monitoring app to keep track of what happens when it reboots, I know there are apps like this marketed as battery monitors. You could use this to see if there is a voltage or temperature association with it.

Hope this helps!

Apr 27, 2011
i had a problem with my mom's phone(Desire HD) where the screen would just fade away after a failed root... fortunately got it back to stock by flashing PD38IMG but it's interesting to see this. what caused it?

goblue13579

Sep 23, 2010
i had a problem with my mom's phone(Desire HD) where the screen would just fade away after a failed root... fortunately got it back to stock by flashing PD38IMG but it's interesting to see this. what caused it?

My problem was caused by trying to set up a quad rom system on my internal storage, but others have said it was just on a rom flash or nandroid restore. It must just be a few misplaced bits here and there that bork the system.

Re: Desire HD, I'm afraid I have absolutely no experience with that device as I'm in the US. Since it's from the generation after the incredible, I can't make any promises about the usefulness of the methods in this guide. Did you try to root it after restoring it to stock?

Scotte.dont

Dec 29, 2011
This sounds like a hardware issue to do with overheating, as google nav heats up the device a lot too. The 5 vibrate mode is (as best I can tell) a hardware management interface, because it shows up as a Qualcomm device in windows when connected in this mode. There are no openly available tools to use it to my knowledge though. This would lead me to believe that a new battery would make no difference, but it's a much cheaper fix than anything else so I might try it after the below idea.

One thing you could try is get a phone monitoring app to keep track of what happens when it reboots, I know there are apps like this marketed as battery monitors. You could use this to see if there is a voltage or temperature association with it.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the input.

I did buy a new (OEM) htc battery and it did NOT fix the problem.

What program should I use to monitor the phone? I would like one that will preferable make a log I can post after this problem happens again.

jtdogblue

Aug 25, 2011
IE
Unfortunately, I didn't see this thread when it happened to me. I had a broken screen, so I couldn't get a replacement until I fixed it. So I finally fixed the screen, but my void stickers got thrown out, so I had to wait another month (2 months total now) to get some more shipped. Finally got it and had it successfully replaced. I was super paranoid about Verizons new policy for returns, but all went well and I have a refurb right now...

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
Best write-up ever...in two years I never bricked a phone this bad. You saved my tail considering it is happened to my work phone!

Thank you!

newmachine

Dec 23, 2010
Here's my story with the 5 vibes of death :

- Rooted & S-off
- SDcard (FAT32) is accessible
- USB still works
- downloaded the "deathfix" (flash_image & mtd-eng.img), ran the command from Terminal Emulator
- upon rebooting, it's always getting the 5 vibes
- it's also always getting the 5 vibes everytime I go to recovery menu from Hboot/Clockwork

any ideas??

D

Deleted member 2776902

I experienced this a few weeks ago after flashing CM9 alpha. I did the terminal commands and they weren't working, but then I flashed back to CM7 and ran them there, and upon reboot it worked fine and was back to S-OFF. I did have to unlock my boot loader again, but I already had the key and did that right after fixing it anyway.

The guide I used is HERE.

@newmachine, when you go into hboot is it still S-OFF? And what ROM are you using to run the terminal commands in?

clambert11

May 16, 2008
East Coast USA
Yes, it's still S-off, I'm on stock Gingerbread.
I was using the same guide from that link you posted.

I'm sure this is what you did but I've fixed this problem a few times. After the second time I just threw my steps into Evernote. This is what I have (taken from here so it's probably what you did).

1) Enter HBOOT and go into FASTBOOT
2) With the phone connected to a PC that runs adb, type in fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
3) That should give you access to the SD Card, so boot into Recovery and restore a backup before the problem occurred
4) Unplug the PC and reboot. When the splash screen comes up, quickly plug the phone into the PC
5) Open Connectbot and type in the following commands after the phone boots:

su
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/mtd-eng.img > /data/mtd-eng.img
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd-eng.img
reboot

6) If the phone still is vibrating, remove & install the battery one last time

Last edited:

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
So what cause this? I think this happened to me once and I think doing a battery pull let me get back into recovery and reload another rom which fixed it.

BlindDude

May 11, 2010
I have tried and tried this and it doesn't work for me
I have access to the sd card but I did the adb thing anyway.
I typed all that stuff into terminal emulator and rebooted. Still 5 vibrates.
I have installed 3 different roms, and did the terminal thing but still 5 vibrates.
The only thing consistent is, when the phone has the battery removed long enough for everything to cool down a little, the phone works. But as soon as I get it booted and browse/install apps and mess around with it, it gets a little warm(not hot at all) and shuts off and vibrates 5 times.
I am glad this method worked for alot of people but it does NOT work for me.
I am about to throw this phone down on the concrete as hard as I can.

Oh, and I flashed another radio too(saw that somewhere), nothing fixes this phone

Last edited:

newmachine

Dec 23, 2010
I have tried and tried this and it doesn't work for me
I have access to the sd card but I did the adb thing anyway.
I typed all that stuff into terminal emulator and rebooted. Still 5 vibrates.
I have installed 3 different roms, and did the terminal thing but still 5 vibrates.
The only thing consistent is, when the phone has the battery removed long enough for everything to cool down a little, the phone works. But as soon as I get it booted and browse/install apps and mess around with it, it gets a little warm(not hot at all) and shuts off and vibrates 5 times.
Oh, and I flashed another radio too(saw that somewhere), nothing fixes this phone
That's exactly the same as mine.

I am glad this method worked for alot of people but it does NOT work for me.
I am about to throw this phone down on the concrete as hard as I can.
And that's exactly how I feel.....

tylerwagler

Aug 25, 2009
www.thegootee.com
I may need some assistance with this.

I can get to HBOOT and FASTBOOT but enabling the SDCARD commands results in <Waiting for device> .

Regularly booting the phone just results in a bootloop. Selecting recovery immediatly reboots.

Putting the PB31IMG on the SDCARD and booting into HBOOT results in the phone not recognizing the zip.

I'm stuck.

The latest RUU went through all steps and completed, but i'm still in a boot loop.

Last edited:

aceajoy

Apr 15, 2009
evo 4g

so i've looked EVERYWHERE for a solution like this, here is my problem,
my phone is also doing the 5 vibrate and black screen thing,
i can actually get it to reboot if i wait a while after it does it tho, i can also get into recovery, usb works fine, and sd card reads perfectly,
here's where it gets tricky,
I'm on an evo 4g, but same exact problem, i wanted to try the terminal emulator part with the death fix zip to see if that would fix my problem, but i wanted to ask first if i could use the same zip since it's a different phone, if not, is there any way you could make one for the evo 4g? since this is the ONE and ONLY solution i've found for this problem, everyone else has just given up on it, and unfortunately i'm way out of my warranty, i even called htc and played the douche bag character to see if i could get them to replace it, but they said i'm too far off my warranty already. thanks in advance

(oh and in case it matters, i've flashed stock ruu's, changed roms, and now i'm back to stock rom) and it does it rooted and unrooted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here was my situation: when trying to boot the phone, it would go to the splash screen for a few seconds, then go to a black screen and vibrate 5 times. Had to pull the battery to escape. However, when booting after a battery pull with the charger in it booted just fine, but with no sd card recognition or usb/adb functionality. A factory reset and both htc's and verizon's tech support didn't fix it at all. I had this problem and there seemed to be no good guide on how to fix it so I decided to gather all the right sources in one place.

The reason it's messed up comes from the usb problem, which is why plugging it in lets it boot sometimes. So, contrary to all of tech support, fixing the usb is all you need to do to get it working same as usual again. I've outlined the steps below in the way I think makes the most sense, but read all of what I wrote to understand what you're doing before you start. The links are the specific instructions for each piece written by people smarter than me. I only take credit for figuring out what I needed to do and bringing all of their minds together in one place.

The Process

First thing is to see if you can get it booted. Best bet is to take out the battery and charger, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then connect the charger and battery and boot. If you can't do that then your only option would be to try some fastboot adb trickery (which is over my head) or flash the stock rom in hboot from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html. Note which radio you have (listed in settings -> about phone somewhere or on top of hboot) to get the right file. If you can get it booted then move to the next step.

To fix the sd card and usb go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695243.
    Fastboot is in the tools folder of the android sdk, not platform-tools like adb. To get the drivers working go to http://www.flexjunk.com/2010/05/01/installing-htc-incredible-android-sd-drivers/
    UPDATE: To clarify: fastboot is a completely separate (although closely related) piece of software from adb. If you do not have "fastboot.exe", download it from http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/2153...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/ and follow the instructions there. Or, you can just download the full sdk from google which should include adb and fastboot. I recommend the second option, but my hard drive can take the hit. (thanks BonzTM)
    UPDATE: If you get an error saying "The Program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer" you need to copy that file from platform-tools to tools, then it should work (thanks Jester1614).
    If you had to reflash and lost root download z4root from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953 and do a temporary root to be able to run the commands to fix the usb.

Once the sd card and usb are fixed then it should reboot with or without the charger plugged in. Now your phone is stable and will work with unrevoked again and you should be good to go!

Disclaimer

Note: This is what I experienced with my amoled incredible; in no way do I take responsibility for anything you do. If you try to blame me for bricking your phone I will enjoy a hearty laugh while salting my soup with your tears.

Hope this helps!
    As you can see by my post count I can't put anything anywhere, so if someone wants to move it feel free.

I re-worded your OP and posted it on another forum. I did credit you though. You are now famous. :)
    I wish I would have known this back in March when this happened to me! But then again my phone was S-ON and to get the USB fix to work you said you need root so I might have still been SOL.

That is what the z4 root is for. You dont need s-off, just root. The things are going to s-on by themselves when something is trying to write to the misc, thus the misc brick. PITA brick if ya ask me.
    So...question: Does this mean if you had to reflash and are currently unrooted, that you have to wait for z4root to show up in the market. Because it seems there is no way to root aside from that, and without root no usb, and no usb no adb

Actually you can download it from the link I provided in my post to the xda page for it (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953). Scroll to the bottom of the first post and in the attached files there is a version that works. That's what I did, and then you can run the usb fixing commands. Then it's just reboot, re-root, and restore.

Hope this helps.