[Q] Dropped my LG Optimus G in water

Search This thread

Jacobra93

Jun 24, 2014
Hey, so I got an LG Optimus G off of Ebay the other day and I love it. It only lasted a few days, though. Went to the beach and set it down on the sand to pose for a picture and a wave ran up over it. I had a case on and it didn't seem like too much water got into it. I immediately shut it off.
I know I should have waited longer, but since it didn't look like too much water had gotten into it I tried to turn it on the next morning. I also plugged a charger into it, which I now realize could have been its downfall.

Anyways, it's been a couple days since then and I dunked it in rubbing alcohol to try to remove residue and then took it apart and let it sit under a fan for over 12 hours. I tried turning it on several times and nothing happened. So, after taking it apart more and blowing out the insides with one of those cans of air for removing dust, I put it back together. This time, when I pushed the power button the back button led came on. It goes off after a little while and I can't get it to do anything else. Also, the water damage indicator is still white.

So, I realize it is probably beyond saving, but the back button led coming on gave me hope that there might still be something to do. Any suggestions on anything else to try and any ideas on why the back button led is coming on?

Thanks!

Jacobra93

Jun 24, 2014
Okay, here's another question. Would I be able to buy another phone off of Ebay that has a broken screen or something for cheap and transfer over the internal parts to my phone? Or is my screen probably messed up too?

cletusarrarr

Apr 11, 2009
salt can do more damage than you think , usually the screen would remain good if it was normal water , but dicey to say since it was salt water, if you can get it evaluated cheap it would make sense , not otherwise , its already an old phone going cheap, would make more sense to get another.

Gysper

Nov 22, 2012
Any time your phone drops in water, the first thing you should never do is try to turn it on because it could damage the internals and cause a short circuit in which the electrical components may fry.

First dry your phone as much possible and put it in a bowl or bag of rice. Wait at least a few days and then try to turn it on. If it works, great! If not then it is possibly damaged but to the point not every component is damaged. It might just be the screen or the motherboard. The best bet would then be to ask a repair person to see what is broken and if it can be repaired or salvaged for some parts.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Free mobile app