LG G2 apparently has USB 3.0

Search This thread

Darkestred

Jul 4, 2011
I'm not sure if this was discussed or brought up in any review/presentation i saw. I plugged my phone into my computer and i get the little windows pop-up this drive can perform faster if plugged into a 3.0 usb. I haven't tried it yet, since my 3.0s are behind my tower. Anyone notice or try this to confirm?

Last edited:

WhiteZero

May 15, 2011
Central Illinois
I'm not sure if this was discussed or brought up in any review/presentation i saw. I plugged my phone into my computer and i get the little windows pop-up this drive can perform faster if plugged into a 3.0 usb. I haven't tried it yet, since my 3.0s are behind my tower. Anyone notice or try this to confirm?

I've heard about this as well. But I don't see how it's possible since the G2 dosen't have a USB 3.0 Micro-B port. Compared to the Galaxy Note 3, which does.

I'm pretty sure people are seeing this message because the Snapdragon 800 chipset supports it. But the G2 does not actually have the circuitry for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerDave

Darkestred

Jul 4, 2011
I've heard about this as well. But I don't see how it's possible since the G2 dosen't have a USB 3.0 Micro-B port. Compared to the Galaxy Note 3, which does.

LG's own spec only says 2.0, so I'm pretty sure people are seeing this message because the Snapdragon 800 chipset supports it. But the G2 does not actually have the circuitry for it.

you would be correct. Tested it out. Even plugging into 3.0 it still pops up that message and it still took 25 seconds for a 430meg file.

whosdadog

Feb 24, 2009
The USB port used on the LG G2 does indeed have extra pins that could be used for USB 3.0. If you look directly at the port, there is an additional 5 pins recessed behind the standard connector. As of yet I cannot figure out what they do, but they may be a proprietary connector for a custom slim USB 3.0 connection. They could also be for some other uses, such as video out or for connecting to accessories, but I don't know what.

randyspants

Apr 30, 2012
The USB port used on the LG G2 does indeed have extra pins that could be used for USB 3.0. If you look directly at the port, there is an additional 5 pins recessed behind the standard connector. As of yet I cannot figure out what they do, but they may be a proprietary connector for a custom slim USB 3.0 connection. They could also be for some other uses, such as video out or for connecting to accessories, but I don't know what.

I was wondering what all the recessed pins were there for, I assumed some future lg accessory

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston

Yeah, the same thing popped up on my laptop 2 days ago when I plugged it in. I've been wondering about this...

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

htcm7

Jul 7, 2013
Currently, on Earth
I have tried it. First, plugged on USB 2, got error, then plugged it on USB 3 port, worked fine, no notification at all.

Haven't test if transfer speed meets USB 3 specification.

ericdabbs

Jun 28, 2007
Los Angeles
The g2 has a usb 2.0 port on the phone. It won't support the faster transfer speeds or the faster charging of usb 3.0. It doesn't have the extra pins of micro usb 3.0.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
I dunno, the official spec sheet shows USB 2.0.

LOOK: http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach.../9/5/Screen_Shot_2013-10-03_at_9.47.50_PM.jpg

Look at the bottom spec area.

The chipset fully supports USB3 standard as it has an integrated controller for it. When you plug into a computer the phone even gives a notification popup that it supports USB3 for faster transfer speeds. The port appears to be a USB2 port though, and a USB3 port would look like this:
q09-03_16-47-10vs_verge_super_wide_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Those extra pins probably have to do with HDMI output through the USB port as ddv2005 said.

ericdabbs

Jun 28, 2007
Los Angeles
The chipset fully supports USB3 standard as it has an integrated controller for it. When you plug into a computer the phone even gives a notification popup that it supports USB3 for faster transfer speeds. The port appears to be a USB2 port though, and a USB3 port would look like this:
q09-03_16-47-10vs_verge_super_wide_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Those extra pins probably have to do with HDMI output through the USB port as ddv2005 said.

Exactly. USB 3.0 microUSB port is much wider than a USB 2.0 microUSB port. There is no way the LG G2 can support the speeds or charging of USB 3.0 with the current USB 2.0 port. That warning only comes up because the G2 contains the Snapdragon S800 chip that has USB 3.0 support.

Noam23

Feb 26, 2008
I'm not sure you'll want or need USB 3, for the following reasons:

1. You won't want it for charging, because the faster you charge a Lithium-Ion battery, the quicker it dies. We all charge it overnight, so we have at least 5-6 hours for charging, and it needs much less.

2. You won't need it for file transfer, because most of us don't was to fuss with cables, and simply use wireless transfers. Not to mention the storage on the LG is so small (16 or 32GB), that there is simply not too much to move...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Based on the service manual and the physical configuration of the port I believe that this phone has a USB 3.0 port, but we just don't have a cable or adapter yet to access the rear pins. Attached is a sketch I made showing what the port looks like. The service manual on page 468 supports the physical configuration of the port (3 pins on each side of central standard usb 2.0 5pins ). I am hoping the Nexus 5 will have this port and help LG push out the necessary adapter. I hope we can get some official confirmation on this at some point. I would use USB 3.0 for transferring or recording video directly to flash drive. There is also a potential for 4K recording like the Note 3. So big files would be common place while recording a 4K. 4K streaming from a G2 to a ultra HD tv has already been demonstrated at a trade show in August.

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

I'm pretty sure people are seeing this message because the Snapdragon 800 chipset supports it. But the G2 does not actually have the circuitry for it.