Rooting the LG Exalt LTE from Verizon (LG VN220) - Request for Advice

Search This thread

Mhorowitz25

Jun 6, 2018
software for LG vn220

I'm trying to root the LG Exalt LTE, or LG VN220, from Verizon. Initially, I've attempted the common rooting kits, such as KingoRoot as well as the tools described around XDA. However all failed. I suspect the cause to be the restrictive permissions of /data/local/tmp, which prevents execution of binaries. I believe any kit using this location will likely fail to achieve anything.

As such, I've been looking to achieve the same using manual techniques. The first step, as in most rooting activity is to put the device into USB debugging mode. To do this on the VN220, first compose ##7764726220. When asked for a service code, use 000000 to access a special menu. Select the Developer Options > USB Debugging and select On. There is an additional menu below named Select USB configuration, from which you can select Media Transfer Protocol or RNDIS among other options.

With that done, you can verify that you can now communicate with the device via ADB. To do so, download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot bundle. While I was successful in querying the device with ADB with
Code:
adb devices

Trying to use fastboot simply outputs "< waiting for device >" indefinitively. It is also possible to open a shell using ADB, however attempting ADB with root will fail. I don't think this is caused by having wrong drivers, as all the other tools could detect the phone (see below), but rather a permission issue.

From there, I've try to boot in different modes, which are accessible by turning off the phone, and then powering up the device while holding the Volume Down button. This will boot into a white screen with some options, including the "Safe Mode" option which I attempted. The second mode is the "Firmware Upgrade" mode which is accessible by again, powering down the phone and powering it up again, but this time holding the Volume Up for 3 seconds.

Attempting to run the following fails:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
That being said, I later found out that LG does provides a legitimate way to unlock the bootloader via their LG developer portal. Unfortunately the VN220 is not in the list of supported devices, nor does the procedure given applies to this phone. Additionally, it requires the device ID which fails also since it requires fastboot:
Code:
fastboot oem device-id

The other attempt I've tried is using the LG Mobile Support Too l and while it was useful to obtain the KDZ file from their website, it also failed to apply the update. LGUP didn't recognise the model. (Note that both requires the USB mode to be RNDIS to detect the phone)

Trying to run apps from the internal storage such as su or even using the chmod command only results in "Operation not permitted" messages. So even temporary root seems rather difficult.

At this point, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on additional things I could try to root the phone, or even have temporary root.

Thanks in advance
@cyberrecce

Hi
can you make a software for the LG vn220 phone that I can install to block the internet service from that. and after I install the software it's not possible to bring bake the old software whit internet service or when I restart the phone.

Dec 28, 2017
Hi
can you make a software for the LG vn220 phone that I can install to block the internet service from that. and after I install the software it's not possible to bring bake the old software whit internet service or when I restart the phone.

You could use ADB to uninstall the internet app? Then it shouldn't come back unless you factory reset the phone.
adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0

And, @98jbsz I said it was something different than the usual, I never said it was a solution..

Thirdly, anyone know of a way around Verizon's network check for tethering that'll work with this phone? Pop the sim out doesn't work because of battery/sim placement, we're stuck on the apps/root front, and none of the adb solutions I've found are working. :/

kmsimple

May 26, 2018
[Less on topic, sorry again, but has anyone seen the LG Wine LTE? (url)
It's strikingly similar to our friend the Exalt LTE here, but it seems less carrier branded/available at US Cellular, so I'm wondering if that would make a difference?

I'm curious about what/if the Wine would have for sms messaging (I doubt it'd have Verizon's message+) and instead of my Verizon app...][/QUOTE]

I've been poking around with one of these, was able to remove apps via adb shell with above instructions. No success rooting or installing new apps though.

I believe the messaging app is just a standard lg built app

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017
I've been poking around with one of these, was able to remove apps via adb shell with above instructions. No success rooting or installing new apps though.

I believe the messaging app is just a standard lg built app

Oooh, thank you. I do kind of wish I had known about the Wine LTE before I got my Exalt. Preference in branding and messaging app is enough, all things considered. And I never remember US Cell having a network requirement for tethering (i.e. I'm salty that I can't tether now that I'm off Verizon)

Sorry, i meant @Mhorowitz25 asked for it

We did manage to install our app on this device

Care to share more? The how?

Shimon353

Oct 28, 2018
How do I network unlock this phone to use with other carriers? I can't find even on the paid sites the option to unlock this model.

Dec 28, 2017
How do I network unlock this phone to use with other carriers? I can't find even on the paid sites the option to unlock this model.

Verizon doesn't carrier lock their phones anymore. This version of the phone shouldn't be locked.

When I switched off Verizon I had to take the Verizon sim from the Exalt and put it in another compatible phone and make a call with it, but that was all it took and then the Exalt worked fine with my new sim.

Another thing to double check would be that it has compatible bands for the carrier you're trying to get it onto. It /shouldn't/ be a problem since the Exalt has quad band GSM as well as CDMA, though, but double check.

Reactions: Shimon353

persin

Oct 1, 2017
You asked for a software (app) which can block the internet, and the answer is yes we have such an app, and it is not possible to remove it

I have a couple of questions:

1. How did you the app on the phone (if you had to root it, would you mind sharing how you did this. and if you did it some other way could you share that also)?
2. How did you make the app uninstallable?
3. would you mind sharing the app you made (this way i can build off of it)?

thanks ahead of time.

jotten00

Jun 3, 2019
Thanks for this! I was set to leave my phone at home for a trip to Europe, but saw your message. I tried the same procedure (put the verizon sim in a different phone, made a phone call with it, then tried a non-verizon sim in my VN220), and it worked fine.

mod hash

Jan 3, 2019
I have a couple of questions:

1. How did you the app on the phone (if you had to root it, would you mind sharing how you did this. and if you did it some other way could you share that also)?
2. How did you make the app uninstallable?
3. would you mind sharing the app you made (this way i can build off of it)?

thanks ahead of time.

1. apk's signed by LG or Verizon can be installed regular no need for root
Code:
adb shell pm uninstall -k user 0 (name of the app)
3. its no use you need it signed by LG or Verizon

Reactions: tag hack

manyh

Jul 10, 2012
Could someone help me how to switch off conditional call forwarding when not using verizon, my carrier uses mmi codes, so I can do it with the code, but can get the call forwarding option off in my telephone which is causing me issues

tintedpandas

Aug 1, 2019
Messaging APK

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems like the best place to post this question.
Can someone with the Exalt LTE copy the messaging apk from the phone and share it with me? I want to try it on my Sonim XP5s.
I've been able to sideload apps on my sonim, but finding ones that will actually work with the limitations of the phone (not touch screen) is difficult.

Thanks in advance.

solomn

Aug 8, 2019
hi i tried putting in my att sim to this phone and its telling me i dont have a verizon sim any ideas what to do if this phone isnt supposed to be blocked?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TL.DR; Trying to root new Verizon Android flip-phone with Marshmallow 6.0.1, ARMv7. Firmware version: VN22010B. Seems to to be locked down.

I'm trying to root the LG Exalt LTE, or LG VN220, from Verizon. Initially, I've attempted the common rooting kits, such as KingoRoot as well as the tools described around XDA. However all failed. I suspect the cause to be the restrictive permissions of /data/local/tmp, which prevents execution of binaries. I believe any kit using this location will likely fail to achieve anything.

As such, I've been looking to achieve the same using manual techniques. The first step, as in most rooting activity is to put the device into USB debugging mode. To do this on the VN220, first compose ##7764726220. When asked for a service code, use 000000 to access a special menu. Select the Developer Options > USB Debugging and select On. There is an additional menu below named Select USB configuration, from which you can select Media Transfer Protocol or RNDIS among other options.

With that done, you can verify that you can now communicate with the device via ADB. To do so, download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot bundle. While I was successful in querying the device with ADB with
    Code:
    adb devices

Trying to use fastboot simply outputs "< waiting for device >" indefinitively. It is also possible to open a shell using ADB, however attempting ADB with root will fail. I don't think this is caused by having wrong drivers, as all the other tools could detect the phone (see below), but rather a permission issue.

From there, I've try to boot in different modes, which are accessible by turning off the phone, and then powering up the device while holding the Volume Down button. This will boot into a white screen with some options, including the "Safe Mode" option which I attempted. The second mode is the "Firmware Upgrade" mode which is accessible by again, powering down the phone and powering it up again, but this time holding the Volume Up for 3 seconds.

Attempting to run the following fails:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    That being said, I later found out that LG does provides a legitimate way to unlock the bootloader via their LG developer portal. Unfortunately the VN220 is not in the list of supported devices, nor does the procedure given applies to this phone. Additionally, it requires the device ID which fails also since it requires fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot oem device-id

The other attempt I've tried is using the LG Mobile Support Too l and while it was useful to obtain the KDZ file from their website, it also failed to apply the update. LGUP didn't recognise the model. (Note that both requires the USB mode to be RNDIS to detect the phone)

Trying to run apps from the internal storage such as su or even using the chmod command only results in "Operation not permitted" messages. So even temporary root seems rather difficult.

At this point, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on additional things I could try to root the phone, or even have temporary root.

Thanks in advance
    @cyberrecce
    Just to add a clue what to look at, I think these devices are from Verizon and they are blocking anonymous apps from being installed
    Any sage advice on the [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES] issue when sideloading apps?
    @jfn0802 said they had success with sideloading, but haven't been online in ages, and none of the rest of us seem to have had the same success. Minimum, that's what I would like to accomplish.

[side note, has anyone switched from Verizon with this phone? I'm looking to, but I'm wondering a couple of things like, does verizon have the mobile hotspot function restricted from use on other carriers? & etc & just wondering how it's doing off-verizon for anyone.]

my freinds are using it in Canada with videotron and everything works, without unlocking
    Yes right, but how can I go around it?
    Ps. I was able to uninstall apps (I removed my Verizon)
    With adb shell, as the user 0, but with adb normal uninstall didn't work, but when I try to install with adb shell, it gave the same certificate erorr

Alright, I also managed to uninstall my verizon and verizon's cloud app using
    Code:
    adb shell and the pm uninstall -k --user 0
    But the Verizon apps folder on the menu screen remains, although it's empty. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Then I tried to install an apk using
    Code:
    pm install
    and it came back with [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI] which...is a different than [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES], but not better.

Verizon doesn't carrier lock their phones anymore. This version of the phone shouldn't be locked.

When I switched off Verizon I had to take the Verizon sim from the Exalt and put it in another compatible phone and make a call with it, but that was all it took and then the Exalt worked fine with my new sim.

Another thing to double check would be that it has compatible bands for the carrier you're trying to get it onto. It /shouldn't/ be a problem since the Exalt has quad band GSM as well as CDMA, though, but double check.