Xiaomi.EU ROM patches for DPI change & replacement of Xiaomi apps with Stock apps

Search This thread

mwarner

Jan 23, 2011
Kenilworth
Hi all,

I have created a few TWRP installable Zip files to modify a Mi Max 2 (or indeed any other MIUI8 phone) in order to make the Max 2 more closely resemble a Stock Nexus or Pixel phone.

do2wA62.png

There are three sets of zip files, all of which patch Xiaomi.eu firmware:

MIUI to Google Apps - this zip replaces the MIUI apps with stock Android apps. This includes the Launcher, which is replaced by the Google Now launcher by default

Google Now and Pixel Launcher - These install either the Google Now launcher (included with the MIUI to Google apps, but allows us to swap between Pixel and Google Now), or the Pixel Launcher, which also modifies the build.prop to enable Google Assistant. Note that these are generic zips which can be used to install either launcher as a System app on any device.

MIUI DPI changer for 325dpi or 440dpi - This will work with any MIUI device with a 1080p display to change the DPI from 'high resolution' (325) to 'low resolution' (stock 440).

Installation

Firstly you will need to unlock the bootloader of you Xiaomi device, flash TWRP and copy a Xiaomi.eu ROM into the file system of the device.

1. Install the Xiaomi.eu ROM
2. Install the MIUI to Google Apps package
3. If you would prefer to use the Pixel launcher with Google Assistant then flash the Pixel Launcher package
4. If you would prefer to fit more content onto your screen (e.g. for a Mi Max / Mix series device) then flash the 325dpi package.

I have written up exactly what is removed and installed in the MIUI to Google Apps package here in case you wish to see precisely what changes are being made to the OS.

Mike

greddy

Jan 10, 2005
München
www.gadgetfreak.de
Hi,

Which dialer you are using ? Xiaomi or Google ? When google dialer the call-list/log are working ? Only with the miui-dialer the call-log are shown, but in the google dialer i can not see any calls in the list. You fix it ?

cheers, Peter

mwarner

Jan 23, 2011
Kenilworth
Hi,
Which dialer you are using ? Xiaomi or Google ? When google dialer the call-list/log are working ? Only with the miui-dialer the call-log are shown, but in the google dialer i can not see any calls in the list. You fix it ?

Yes, I replaced the Xiaomi dialer with the stock Google dialer.

You are right - the Google dialer does not record history. I'm off on holiday tomorrow, but I will have a look at it when I return.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: zams85
Jan 30, 2010
Hello, i tried it for Xiaomi EU ROM MIUI 9 and it worked perfectly. Only issue was Clock which was not opening.

After going to clock 'app info' and clearing data and clearing cache it is working perfectly now.

ne0t

Feb 23, 2017
This will work with any MIUI device with a 1080p display to change the DPI from 'high resolution' (325) to 'low resolution' (stock 440).
Mike

Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question.. what is DPI? is it Dots (or Pixels) per Inch?
if it's then I'm confused how come 325 DPI is consider higher resolution than 440 DPI?

Screen density is a ratio of resolution and display size, which can be quantified as dots per inch, or dpi. The higher the dpi, the smaller each individual pixel is, and the greater clarity. Simply put, a higher dpi means more detail is displayed per inch, but does not necessarily correlate with a higher screen resolution.​

Last edited:

mwarner

Jan 23, 2011
Kenilworth
Yes, it is a bit counterintuitive. DPI is, as you say, short for Dots Per Inch.

What you change the DPI setting in the phone, you are effectively fooling the phone into thinking that its screen is bigger than it is. e.g. if a 1080p screen has 440dpi it would be smaller than a 1080p screen that has a DPI of 325dpi. Android, therefore, compensates by making all the icons and text smaller so it doesn't appear too huge on the 'larger' display.

The effect of this is to make all the text and icons smaller on the screen, which makes it look higher resolution.

Reactions: live4speed

Paoloqu24

Jul 17, 2019
Hi all,

I have created a few TWRP installable Zip files to modify a Mi Max 2 (or indeed any other MIUI8 phone) in order to make the Max 2 more closely resemble a Stock Nexus or Pixel phone.

do2wA62.png

MIUI to Google Apps - this zip replaces the MIUI apps with stock Android apps. This includes the Launcher, which is replaced by the Google Now launcher by default

Google Now and Pixel Launcher - These install either the Google Now launcher (included with the MIUI to Google apps, but allows us to swap between Pixel and Google Now), or the Pixel Launcher, which also modifies the build.prop to enable Google Assistant. Note that these are generic zips which can be used to install either launcher as a System app on any device.

MIUI DPI changer for 325dpi or 440dpi - This will work with any MIUI device with a 1080p display to change the DPI from 'high resolution' (325) to 'low resolution' (stock 440).

Installation

Firstly you will need to unlock the bootloader of you Xiaomi device, flash TWRP and copy a Xiaomi.eu ROM into the file system of the device.

3. If you would prefer to use the Pixel launcher with Google Assistant then flash the Pixel Launcher package
4. If you would prefer to fit more content onto your screen (e.g. for a Mi Max / Mix series device) then flash the 325dpi package.

I have written up exactly what is removed and installed in the MIUI to Google Apps package here in case you wish to see precisely what changes are being made to the OS.

Mike

is it possible to replace the MIUI apps with Google apps with this zip, also valid for stable global 8? PS: if I receive an OTA update it will overwrite the Google apps I will keep forever. thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

do2wA62.png

Installation

Mike
    Hi,

Yes, I replaced the Xiaomi dialer with the stock Google dialer.

You are right - the Google dialer does not record history. I'm off on holiday tomorrow, but I will have a look at it when I return.

Mike
    can you made gapps for miui 9?
    Can this zip be installed on global MIUI ROM?
    Yes, it was designed for the Global ROM.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Yes, it is a bit counterintuitive. DPI is, as you say, short for Dots Per Inch.

What you change the DPI setting in the phone, you are effectively fooling the phone into thinking that its screen is bigger than it is. e.g. if a 1080p screen has 440dpi it would be smaller than a 1080p screen that has a DPI of 325dpi. Android, therefore, compensates by making all the icons and text smaller so it doesn't appear too huge on the 'larger' display.

The effect of this is to make all the text and icons smaller on the screen, which makes it look higher resolution.