[Q] No data connection on my Nexus S

Search This thread

infinite_ammo

Dec 27, 2013
So one day, my Nexus S randomly decided not to have a data connection with my carrier (Wind Mobile) anymore.
Wifi works, mobile data does not.

Steps I did to try and fix this:
1) make sure APN address is correct, which it is.
2) turn airplane mode on and off
3) toggle carrier connection on and off
4) factory wipe phone and reinstall ROM (slimkat)
5) factory wipe phone and install a different ROM (AOSP)
6) flash new radio (KB3 and KB1)

Other things I tried:
1) tried my SIM card with another phone (Blackberry Curve), data connection seems to work fine on that phone.
2) Called Wind Mobile and asked them to reset their towers to my phone... all they did was remove the Blackberry security thingy
that I had with them when I was still using a Blackberry. Rebooted my Nexus S, tried again... still no data.

So... I'm at my wit's end, and I have no clue how to fix this. Any ideas? I've found a couple similar threads for this problem... non of which had a solution to mine.

infinite_ammo

Dec 27, 2013
I remembered I made a backup nandroid a little while ago... and I restored it.
Voila, everything works again. But as soon as I tried reflashing to my preferred ROM (Slimkat), the problems started up again.
I also forgot to add that before I started encountering problems, my phone froze and I had reset by doing a battery pull because it wouldn't respond to any key presses. I'm guessing it corrupted something, though I'm not sure what. I've diagnosed that this is not a hardware issue, and that it's purely software... I'm not sure why the problem comes back when I reflash to another ROM. I'll keep you guys posted.

infinite_ammo

Dec 27, 2013
One other thing worth noting is that when I have Slimkat installed, it doesn't seem to read off my SIM card properly.
The APN doesn't get named "Wind DATA" like it usually does when I install a different ROM on there; it just gets named "Internet".