[ROM][7.15.2011]NAMELESS v1 for Droid Charge - Test Build #3 - EXT4/Debloat/Tweaks

Search This thread

navenedrob

Apr 24, 2009
Kannapolis, NC
NAMELESS v1
based on the EP1F Gingerbread Leak

GmzOm.png

--------------------

About:

This ROM is currently in testing for Charge. As such, some things may not work - but not for long! Please report issues in the thread. This ROM is the EP1F leak with my personal touches and changes, and some common sense tweaking to present a smoother, faster, EP1F experience.

--------------------

I've gotten some great help! Here they are (in no particular order):

gunnermike53 (tester, modder)
c0ns0le (tester)
Grillrd (tester)

I'm looking to get more help all the time, because with more help the faster the process goes :) Join me on FreeNode IRC chat at #samsung-charge

--------------------

What you really want to know:

Refer to Post #2 for an explanation of the below features.

Kernel Features:

• EXT4 Support
  • Extra Storage Support (mmcblk0p2 remap for personal use /extstorage folder)
  • DBDATA/DATADATA Symlink
  • init.d Script Loading Support
  • Auto root install
  • Built-in BusyBox
  • Built-in fix_permissions script
  • Built-in bash shell
  • Built-in nano editor
  • FC Prevention & Detection (e.g. if you get acore FC's on boot, just reboot the device)
  • SD Card Read Speed Tweak
  • CPU/VM/Kernel Tweaks
  • CWM4 Recovery
  • Charge Mode ADB access

Rom Features:

• Supercleaned
  • De-odexed
  • Zipaligned
  • De-TouchWiz'ed
  • Go Launcher EX
  • Touchwiz Calendar/Calculator
  • GAPPS - Gmail, Maps, Street, Vsearch, Talk2 (with video chat)
  • Appwidgetpicker
  • EXT4 auto-format on install (all partitions converted to EXT4)
  • sysrw, sysro scripts for remounting /system r/w or r/o
  • zipapps script for zipaligning apps on the fly
  • bstats script for removing old battery stats to refresh battery life
  • build.prop tweaks
  • Malware exploit patch

--------------------

FAQ:

Q: Ok, I'm cool with it, so what should I know about installing it?

A: Just flash from CWM3 recovery, no data wiping or other actions are needed, the entire installation is automated. NOTE: Your data will be wiped.

--

Q: Ok, what kind of caveats can I expect from this ROM?

A: The ROM is currently open for testing. I don't own a Droid Charge so I have no idea if anything works or not without testers. Being a test build, you may run into issues with things not working or nothing working at all. If that is the case just report it here. :)

--------------------

FILES:

Test Build #3

http://www.mediafire.com/?fz11ex27qo2ho97

--------------------

If you like my work, consider donating, or thanking me by clicking the thanks button :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aflac01

navenedrob

Apr 24, 2009
Kannapolis, NC
NAMELESS ROM DICTIONARY

Kernel Features
EXT4 Support This is a filesystem, basically what organizes and makes sense of the data on your phone. This specific one, EXT4, is generally known for being reliable and fast, compared to the one that comes with the phone, RFS.
Extra Storage Support (mmcblk0p2 remap for personal use /extstorage folder) This is a custom feature of the kernel which takes the "preinstall" partition (used for over-the-air updates from Verizon) and turns it into an on-phone storage space where you can store files separate from your SD card.
DBDATA/DATADATA Symlink This is a custom feature of the kernel which creates a symlink (a connection between two different points of data, or a shortcut) from the DATADATA directory to the DBDATA directory. This is advantageous because you will be able to use scripts not originally written for TouchWiz based ROM's.
init.d Script Loading Support This is a built-in kernel feature which allows you to store script files in the /system/etc/init.d directory on your phone. This directory is special because it will run said scripts at boot time. Generally in this directory people put performance enhancing scripts to better their phone.
Auto root install This is a custom kernel feature which roots your phone upon every boot, practically forcing your phone to be rooted while using the kernel. Even if you accidentally delete root, you will be rooted again upon the next boot.
Built-in BusyBox BusyBox is a binary (a linux program) that is a conglomeration of multiple utilities packed into one. Basically it allows you to use lots of useful linux commands not originally available on the Android operating system. It allows you to be the master and commander of your phone.
Built-in fix_permissions script This is a special script which when run (using a program like terminal emulator, or adb shell) will try to fix the permissions on your phone. Sometimes permissions can be set wrong, and this can cause lots of problems. This script fixes that.
Built-in bash shell Bash is a linux program, or rather a linux "shell", which is an environment where you can control your linux system and execute linux commands. Bash is also known as the "Bourne-Again Shell" and is a more advanced successor to its older sibling shell environments like "SH".
Built-in nano editor NANO is a linux text editing program that can be used from a command prompt in a linux shell.
FC Prevention & Detection (e.g. if you get acore FC's on boot, just reboot the device) This is a custom feature of the kernel where upon every boot the kernel will run a special error fix/detection script that will try to find and fix a few critical TouchWiz elements before booting you into the operating system. This is advantageous because it eliminates not being able to wipe between ROM's, since doing so usually causes a lot of problems.
SD Card Read Speed Tweak This is a common kernel implementation which slightly speeds up the reading speed of data on the SD card. In other words, it makes stuff on your SD card work faster.
CPU/VM/Kernel Tweaks These are common kernel implementations which overall improve the performance of your phone.
CWM4 Recovery This is a famous "recovery" system created by a developer named Koushik Dutta. This has been around awhile and is now in its 4th evolution. The version included here is one of the latest available. The recovery system allows you to execute useful linux and Android specific elements so that you may modify, save, or otherwise control your phone outside of the normal operating system.
Charge Mode ADB access This is a custom feature of the kernel which allows you to access your phone via ADB shell while charging. Charge mode is when your phone is off, and plugged in, showing the battery icon.

ROM Features
Supercleaned This means that all of the stuff that most people do not want, that comes on your phone when you buy or over-the-air update it, has been completely removed.
De-odexed Any Android application is usually delivered in the form of an APK file. An APK file is pretty much just a ZIP file. Sometimes the Android application needs extra code to do things, and this is found inside of the APK file and called "classes.dex". An APK file can be "ODEXED", this basically means taking the classes.dex file OUT of the APK file. This is advantageous because it allows the Android system to access the code directly instead of having to decompress and recompress (take apart, put back together) the APK file every time to access the code. However, it has one downside, it is difficult to make themes or mods while using this process. So, the APK file is "DEODEXED", which basically puts the code back in the APK file, creating one single file again.
Zipaligned Each APK file has a certain alignment to the little bits and bytes that flow through the phone, this is pretty much the same concept as having your car tires aligned for a straight drive. It allows the application to use less memory and perform better, like a tire alignment would allow you to use less gas and drive faster and straighter.
De-TouchWiz'ed The removal of close to all but the best TouchWiz applications.
Go Launcher EX A home launcher application included in the ROM, instead of the standard.
Touchwiz Calendar/Calculator Quite useful and good looking TouchWiz applications.
GAPPS - Gmail, Maps, Street, Vsearch, Talk2 (with video chat) The Google suite of applications.
Appwidgetpicker This little program condenses the widgets list when long-pressing on your home screen. It makes it so that you don't have 500 widgets to scroll through.
EXT4 auto-format on install (all partitions converted to EXT4) A custom ROM feature written by me which formats/converts your phone to the EXT4 filesystem automatically when installing the ROM.
sysrw, sysro scripts for remounting /system r/w or r/o Useful scripts which allow you to "remount" your system partition to a read/writable or read/non-writable state so that you may modify files in the system area.
zipapps script for zipaligning apps on the fly A special script which will attempt to give any applications in the standard locations the aforementioned tire alignment.
bstats script for removing old battery stats to refresh battery life A script which will delete old battery stats allowing you to renew the stats so as to attempt to get more battery life.
build.prop tweaks This file contains important properties of which the operating system cannot live without. I have tweaked this file to optimum performance standards so as to better your phone as much as possible.
Malware exploit patch Quite awhile ago a tricky person found a way to mess peoples phones up through the Android market, and this fixes that problem from ever occuring (It has long been fixed by Google anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aflac01

mrtruckincowboy

Jun 16, 2011
Wow a lag fix for the leak ill have to give it a shot later

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

elucid

Jun 5, 2011
Awesome that you have EXT4 on GB! Hopefully one of the folks with a spare Charge will test this out.

porlo

Sep 15, 2003
glad to see a new ROM pops up. The OP mentioned flashing it w/ cwm3, while I'm already on cwm4, do I need to downgrade cwm before loading this?

Sent from Droid Charge

IamIkari

Nov 30, 2008
Do you need to be on the official leak first? I was on humble 2.1 and flashed this. The phone just boots straight into recover now.

calikorban

Mar 31, 2010
New Rom

As much as I like what the other devs have brought to the charge this is exciting. I cant wait to see a working and stable build.

IamIkari

Nov 30, 2008
I tried going back to the debloated official leak using ODIN. I'm still stuck at a recovery screen.

It is not your average recovery screen. It says "Android system recovery <3e>" and uses the home key to select instead of the power button.

robby88

Mar 30, 2010
Tampa
Reactions: muness and Joe T

timgt

May 13, 2008
Maryland
I just installed test version 2 and I am getting nothing but clockworkMod recovery v4.0.0.8 when I boot up. Still a no go.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A new release coming?
    :)

Yep, as soon as I fix the few issues with the kernel.
    New build is coming tonight with fully working kernel and recovery :)

Hard working testers:

Me
    c0ns0le
    gunnermike53

Thanks guys!

Stay tuned.
    I tried going back to the debloated official leak using ODIN. I'm still stuck at a recovery screen.

It is not your average recovery screen. It says "Android system recovery <3e>" and uses the home key to select instead of the power button.

i think you want to follow these instructions to get back to a working state

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1111486
    This looks promising as i have been following it this. I see a few bugs that people are commenting on. This is just all the issues put together that I have seen so far. If there are anymore that I missed let me know.

1. Bluetooth not working (fixed in the next kernel release)

2. Home/Menu button dont work (i read that restarting should fix it. One person says it didnt)

3. Gtalk video force closes on video ( Fix permissions should fix this. No word on success yet) Gtalk Voice calls seem to be working.

4. Setup wizard will FC (Not a big concern for me as I dont like the verzon setup wizard anyway)

5. As one person commented ugly poop colored theme ;) (easily fixed but not really required while debugging the build)

Really if this is all than that is amazing. I would have to say good job so far.
    NAMELESS v1
    based on the EP1F Gingerbread Leak

GmzOm.png

--------------------

About:

This ROM is currently in testing for Charge. As such, some things may not work - but not for long! Please report issues in the thread. This ROM is the EP1F leak with my personal touches and changes, and some common sense tweaking to present a smoother, faster, EP1F experience.

--------------------

I've gotten some great help! Here they are (in no particular order):

gunnermike53 (tester, modder)
    c0ns0le (tester)
    Grillrd (tester)

I'm looking to get more help all the time, because with more help the faster the process goes :) Join me on FreeNode IRC chat at #samsung-charge

--------------------

What you really want to know:

Refer to Post #2 for an explanation of the below features.

Kernel Features:

• EXT4 Support
    • Extra Storage Support (mmcblk0p2 remap for personal use /extstorage folder)
    • DBDATA/DATADATA Symlink
    • init.d Script Loading Support
    • Auto root install
    • Built-in BusyBox
    • Built-in fix_permissions script
    • Built-in bash shell
    • Built-in nano editor
    • FC Prevention & Detection (e.g. if you get acore FC's on boot, just reboot the device)
    • SD Card Read Speed Tweak
    • CPU/VM/Kernel Tweaks
    • CWM4 Recovery
    • Charge Mode ADB access

Rom Features:

• Supercleaned
    • De-odexed
    • Zipaligned
    • De-TouchWiz'ed
    • Go Launcher EX
    • Touchwiz Calendar/Calculator
    • GAPPS - Gmail, Maps, Street, Vsearch, Talk2 (with video chat)
    • Appwidgetpicker
    • EXT4 auto-format on install (all partitions converted to EXT4)
    • sysrw, sysro scripts for remounting /system r/w or r/o
    • zipapps script for zipaligning apps on the fly
    • bstats script for removing old battery stats to refresh battery life
    • build.prop tweaks
    • Malware exploit patch

--------------------

FAQ:

Q: Ok, I'm cool with it, so what should I know about installing it?

A: Just flash from CWM3 recovery, no data wiping or other actions are needed, the entire installation is automated. NOTE: Your data will be wiped.

--

Q: Ok, what kind of caveats can I expect from this ROM?

A: The ROM is currently open for testing. I don't own a Droid Charge so I have no idea if anything works or not without testers. Being a test build, you may run into issues with things not working or nothing working at all. If that is the case just report it here. :)

--------------------

FILES:

Test Build #3

http://www.mediafire.com/?fz11ex27qo2ho97

--------------------

If you like my work, consider donating, or thanking me by clicking the thanks button :)