How much do I need to reset to stock before taking it into the store?

Search This thread

nullstring2

Apr 21, 2011
My HTC Evo Shift's touch screen stopped working partially.

Above 70% of the screen won't work vertically anymore. (Horizontal is fine).
I am going to take it into the store.

Do I need to get rid of everything including root and recovery?
What will they check?

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
What will they check?

Never take a Device in for service while Rooted. Some Techs will check, others will not. But if they do find that it's Rooted they can flag your account. Not what you want :( . Also they may try and say that the issue is because you rooted your device. If you are going to RUU I would use the RUU HERE. That way it will be easier to re-root your device afterward. One question, did you Update your Radio's and Touchscreen Firmware yet?

Reactions: nullstring2

nullstring2

Apr 21, 2011
Why will it be easier to root my device?
Do I need to flash stock recovery? Or will they not check for this?

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
It will be easier to Re-Root your device if you RUU to 2.2, as opposed to 2.3.4 . Mostly because there are less steps involved. Once you RUU it will take the device to Factory fresh out of the box. Stock everything.

nullstring2

Apr 21, 2011
You don't think they'll be suspicious that I am still running froyo?

I am thinking about just calling sprint instead and seeing if they'll agree to do a replacement ahead of time. In that case, I can just RUU to 2.3.4 and not care since I'm not getting it back.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
It depends on the Tech. Some techs don't care, as long as the device is not Rooted. Some may ask, but you just tell them you've never taken an Update. Calling Sprint ahead of time will most likely not do anything. They're going to want to check the device anyway. You can RUU to 2.3.4 then re-root later. It will just take a few more steps.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

drob311

I am thinking about just calling sprint instead and seeing if they'll agree to do a replacement ahead of time. In that case, I can just RUU to 2.3.4 and not care since I'm not getting it back.

Yes, majority of the techs will be suspicious about you being on froyo... Android users are anal about their ota updates and very few users skip ota updates except rooted users... I state this from experience, as I brought in a shift unrooted on froyo a few months ago and than ended up at sprint for over an hour answering their questions... I got my replacement device but I will NEVER bring in a device not running the latest firmware...

Sent from my PG06100

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
In my experience it depends where you take it to have it serviced. If you go to a Corporate store, they check out stuff a lot more. But the up side is they are quicker to resolve an issue. The privately owned stores usually do not check the device out that in depth. If they can't fix the issue immediately, they usually just give you some options about getting another.

drob311

In my experience it depends where you take it to have it serviced. If you go to a Corporate store, they check out stuff a lot more. But the up side is they are quicker to resolve an issue. The privately owned stores usually do not check the device out that in depth. If they can't fix the issue immediately, they usually just give you some options about getting another.

I agree... The stores around my area are all corporate...

Sent from my PG06100

nullstring2

Apr 21, 2011
Thats kind of a pain.

I used http://goo.im/stock/speedy/ruu/PG06..._1.88_0128_PRL60674_release_196686_signed.zip

However, after it updated to S-ON, it says "Main Version is older! Update fail"
Do I need to use the 2.2 RUU?

EDIT:fastboot getvar version-main

Hrm. Did I screw up here?
Can I still use the 2.2 RUU?

Do I need to use the downgrade techniques to get it to downgrade?

EDIT2: I flashed the misc.img in order to trick hboot into installing 2.3.4 stock.
I'm not sure if I was suppose to have to do that.. but whatever, it worked.

Last edited:

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Thats kind of a pain.

I used http://goo.im/stock/speedy/ruu/PG06..._1.88_0128_PRL60674_release_196686_signed.zip

However, after it updated to S-ON, it says "Main Version is older! Update fail"
Do I need to use the 2.2 RUU?

EDIT:fastboot getvar version-main

Hrm. Did I screw up here?
Can I still use the 2.2 RUU?

Do I need to use the downgrade techniques to get it to downgrade?

EDIT2: I flashed the misc.img in order to trick hboot into installing 2.3.4 stock.
I'm not sure if I was suppose to have to do that.. but whatever, it worked.

Wait :confused: . What are you trying to accomplish? I thought you wanted to take it in for service. If you still want to take it in just run the 2.3.4 .exe RUU I've attached below. It will Update your device to 2.3.4 ,and done ;) . Then you can take it in for service.

2.3.4 SPEEDY GB .exe RUU

nullstring2

Apr 21, 2011
Wait :confused: . What are you trying to accomplish? I thought you wanted to take it in for service. If you still want to take it in just run the 2.3.4 .exe RUU I've attached below. It will Update your device to 2.3.4 ,and done ;) . Then you can take it in for service.

2.3.4 SPEEDY GB .exe RUU

I already got it flashed... so the issue is solved.

But, are you sure just using the RUU will work?
I was having issues because I was trying to install 2.76 "main-version" when the installed version was 2.77 or something, and it wouldn't let me downgrade.

As far as I understand both the file I linked and the one you posted validate against the version.

Therefore, I had to flash the misc.img for the TB (like you do to downgrade to 2.2), and then i was able to do it fine.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Glad you got it sorted. Yes, any of the Speedy RUU's should work. So long as you are Fully Rooted ( S-OFF ). If not then you can only Upgrade RUU.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

nullstring2

Apr 21, 2011
Glad you got it sorted. Yes, any of the Speedy RUU's should work. So long as you are Fully Rooted ( S-OFF ). If not then you can only Upgrade RUU.

I see. The issue with the PG06IMG is that the first thing it does is flash the bootlooder to S-ON, and then you can only upgrade.

Thank goodness for that TB misc.img exploit!
Could have really screwed myself over there. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Enraged21

Apr 17, 2011
Orlando, FL
Where's the RUU for 2.2? Prboy, the link you posted was for 2.3 if its possible, can some post a link for 2.2? I tried searching but didn't find it. I'm on mobile so that's why

Shifted from my EVO

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What will they check?

Never take a Device in for service while Rooted. Some Techs will check, others will not. But if they do find that it's Rooted they can flag your account. Not what you want :( . Also they may try and say that the issue is because you rooted your device. If you are going to RUU I would use the RUU HERE. That way it will be easier to re-root your device afterward. One question, did you Update your Radio's and Touchscreen Firmware yet?
    It depends on the Tech. Some techs don't care, as long as the device is not Rooted. Some may ask, but you just tell them you've never taken an Update. Calling Sprint ahead of time will most likely not do anything. They're going to want to check the device anyway. You can RUU to 2.3.4 then re-root later. It will just take a few more steps.

TEAM MiK
    MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Yes, majority of the techs will be suspicious about you being on froyo... Android users are anal about their ota updates and very few users skip ota updates except rooted users... I state this from experience, as I brought in a shift unrooted on froyo a few months ago and than ended up at sprint for over an hour answering their questions... I got my replacement device but I will NEVER bring in a device not running the latest firmware...

Sent from my PG06100

TEAM MiK
    MikROMs Since 3/13/11