Phone idle using a lot of battery?

Search This thread

SAMVREMIX

Jan 18, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 11
Sorry if the question has been answered before but does anyone else get a lot of battery drain due to 'phone idle'. I'm unsure whether if deep sleep not working or what but have never had this problem with any other phones I have had.

Reactions: palkia171993

palkia171993

Aug 3, 2011
Hồ Chí Minh City
Sorry if the question has been answered before but does anyone else get a lot of battery drain due to 'phone idle'. I'm unsure whether if deep sleep not working or what but have never had this problem with any other phones I have had.

Yes, I'm definitely experiencing the same problem. I left the phone overnight and it lost almost 7% which is a lot compared to my old Z1 (only 1-2%). Other time is also similar. Sometimes, it feels like it as if actively using the phone actually uses less power than leaving it idle. Looking at the battery chart seems normal but the phone actually discharges fast on standby (sometimes I lost 25% after just 4-5 hours standby) :confused: I'm really want to know if others experience this as well and how to fix.

Last edited:

Darni187

Nov 13, 2014
London
Yes I'm having the same problem.. Phone idle taking more drain than screen right now..

It's deffo a bug with this 7.0 update.. Hopefully it gets fixed in next update..

Phat-T

Apr 24, 2013
My battery sucks now after the Nougat update! Drains really quickly on standby. I even turned WiFi scanning off but it didn't seem to help

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6476447

I am facing the same issue too
Phone idle appears at the top of the list, claiming 135 mah
While my screen states its using 49 mah

dillalade

Sep 28, 2009
Richmond
Similarly and annoyingly. Since Nougat my phone barely deep sleeps.

My phone was deep sleeping amazingly on mm. But now it barely deep sleeps. Ridiculous update which now requires me to perform a clean full wipe install of Nougat. Which currently I have no time for, hence my battery dies ridiculously fast. Annoying and not what I was expecting, this removed my excitement away from receiving the new Nougat update and instead am left with work to do to get this one back to par.

This has happened to me before on previous Sony phones when installing new ota updates. Clearly something Sony is good at.

For the OP - this is one of the best apps to determine CPU behaviour, simple and to the point. Particularly scroll to the bottom to obtain how well or not the phone deep sleeps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bvalosek.cpuspy

Since upgrading via OTA to Nougat my device barely deep sleeps, rather it sits at 307mhz when idle. Battery gone to sh!t. Forced to do a factory reset fresh installation (when I get enough time to.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6476447

My phone was deep sleeping amazingly on mm. But now it barely deep sleeps. Ridiculous update which now requires me to perform a clean full wipe install of Nougat. Which currently I have no time for, hence my battery dies ridiculously fast. Annoying and not what I was expecting, this removed my excitement away from receiving the new Nougat update and instead am left with work to do to get this one back to par.

This has happened to me before on previous Sony phones when installing new ota updates. Clearly something Sony is good at.

For the OP - this is one of the best apps to determine CPU behaviour, simple and to the point. Particularly scroll to the bottom to obtain how well or not the phone deep sleeps.

Since upgrading via OTA to Nougat my device barely deep sleeps, rather it sits at 307mhz when idle. Battery gone to sh!t. Forced to do a factory reset fresh installation (when I get enough time to.)

To save everybody's time, I have performed a clean install of nougat and the issue still persists

dillalade

Sep 28, 2009
Richmond
To save everybody's time, I have performed a clean install of nougat and the issue still persists

Clean install, locked and unrooted, DRM in tact?

Still unfavourable deep sleep?

Then that surely is pointing to a inherent issue with Sony Nougat.

However why isn't everyone here with XZ Nougat complaining the same?

We need more input.

In the meantime I will need to bite the bullet and reset my phone as well and report back.

SAMVREMIX

Jan 18, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 11

Been using kernel auditor to check usage. Will reset it and will use the phone as normal tomorrow and report any findings.

Reactions: dillalade
D

Deleted member 6476447

Clean install, locked and unrooted, DRM in tact?

Still unfavourable deep sleep?

Then that surely is pointing to a inherent issue with Sony Nougat.

However why isn't everyone here with XZ Nougat complaining the same?

We need more input.

In the meantime I will need to bite the bullet and reset my phone as well and report back.

Yup, mine is stock, unrooted, drm intact

angelanh

Jan 30, 2011
Yes, I'm definitely experiencing the same problem. I left the phone overnight and it lost almost 7% which is a lot compared to my old Z1 (only 1-2%). Other time is also similar. Sometimes, it feels like it as if actively using the phone actually uses less power than leaving it idle. Looking at the battery chart seems normal but the phone actually discharges fast on standby (sometimes I lost 25% after just 4-5 hours standby) :confused: I'm really want to know if others experience this as well and how to fix.

I got the same problem with you too, 7% after night, my old phone was Z1 to compare too. After update to 7.0 then back to 6.0.1 battery drain is less, but still more than normal.

hinsleymcgraw

Apr 6, 2009
I also Started to get huge Phone Idol drain (top of battery usage) after OTA update to Android 7 on Stock unrooted, Ive done a complete fresh start through xperia companion and still getting big drain from Phone Idol.

realfelix

Apr 4, 2011
Trier
Got the same problems you guys are facing.
My phone did drain from 100% to 88% in just 2 hours (Display on: 35 minutes half brightness, phone calls 10 minutes) and its on WiFi not even mobile data. My girlfriends phone did drain about the same with 35 mins display on BUT calls of 45 minutes.
Oh and idle yeah on WiFi about 1% every hour and on Mobile Data 3%/hour.
This is really bad imho and it's been 2 times I've repaired the device via Xperia Companion. Funny about this is, that always on the first run I get a message "Firmware could not be repaired". Then I restart the whole process and it does just fine. Same with restoring images/videos.

Last edited:

b.ike

Jan 7, 2014
I've started to notice my phone idle is near the top of battery usage. Initially after installing Nougat, battery life was great. Now I narrowly get 5hours of SOT. Currently at 70% and phone idle has used 19% of battery at 196mAh and SOT 1.5hrs with 182mAh. Not sure why the phone is not sleeping.

angelanh

Jan 30, 2011
I got the same problem with you too, 7% after night, my old phone was Z1 to compare too. After update to 7.0 then back to 6.0.1 battery drain is less, but still more than normal.

I upgrade to 7.0 again recently, and it only cost 1% per night, it's quite good :D. But battery consume while using is not much improvement like idle.

Of123

Oct 10, 2011
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Facing the same problem, though i dont think its actually draining in my case, the phone deep sleeps fine but the drain with screen on is just appaling, since I got it I only got 4 hrs Max SoT thats with MM and N. It just seems that the battery generally sucks.

As of now, i have 84%: sot 23% 48 min - phone idle 20% (time on 4 h 35 min). By this it means i'll get about 3.5 hrs SoT which is normal in my case (though not good in my opinion)

palkia171993

Aug 3, 2011
Hồ Chí Minh City
I've just updated to the lastest .374 from .327. From what I experienced, the standby battery life have improved. I left it overnight and it only lost 2% (unlike 7% like before) which is probably ok for now.

herasymcuk

Nov 12, 2008
Do you want to say.....that leaving the phone all the night....it lose 2% only???? I can't belive....normally it goes down by step of 2/3% for hours....so in 7/8 night you have to lose at least a 20%....minimum....

palkia171993

Aug 3, 2011
Hồ Chí Minh City
Well my battery result probably need more testing but it has never lost up to 20% per night. It would be outrageous if that happens. Are you sure there isn't anything that continuously running in the background of your phone? You could try a factory reset? Usually losing that much of battery per hour is only when the phone is actively being used, I think.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 6476447

Been using kernel auditor to check usage. Will reset it and will use the phone as normal tomorrow and report any findings.