[ROM+kernel][WIP] [4.4.4][CM11][OS2SD][f2fs][EXPERIMENTAL]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Search This thread

555rt

Mar 31, 2013
Maybe if I can get my sh*t together. I've been feeling too low energy due to horrid relationship issues, now the fourteen year investment has showed its true value and ended.
When i get myself back into functionality I'll give the old optimus v a little love.

Looking forward to it, but in the meantime, hang in there. I know what your going through. Been there and done that, twice, about 13 years on the two. Good luck man!

Reactions: bigsupersquid

mod_v10

Jun 27, 2016
Anyone else getting
Code:
 set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/cm-11-20141018-EXPERIMENTAL-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip'

for the OS2SD build on TWRP v2.8.00-MULTI-OS2SD?

f.costello

Apr 6, 2014
This ROM still going? I still have this device, was my favorite work phone, i could drop it all the time and it wouldn't break! no longer activated though.. Bout to fire it up. Everything was all good when I was rocking it! Glad to see this device still being used!

f.costello

Apr 6, 2014
Update!! Went to fire this up, noticed my SD card is not in!!! And I think my battery won't even take a charge no mo'!!! Dang I loved this phone!!!

CM_developer

Oct 21, 2017
I have it downloaded now i'm gonna get it flashed and test it :) thank you for the hard work (i also hit thanks)

bryonssmith

Nov 12, 2018
@bigsupersquid Found your article for the Optimus S over on another android forum and just necro'd the thread before finding this one. Hoping your personal stuff is doing better and you're still active. d-(^.^)-b

I have two Sprint LS670 (2.3.3 LS670MJV_6150 zvj.47B56B46) that I'm looking to upgrade to 4.4.4 in order to use the Family Link app so I can set them up for my young kids to use as Hangout phones around the house. I've rooted a few tablets, but this is my first time tackling a phone and I've read conflicting reports about downgrading baseband or not for the ZVJ phones. Not really worried about the carrier working as they'll just be on wifi in the house and use Hangouts to call us if needed. In fact, best battery life is ideal.

Is there a "final" stable release out there? Or leads on a new rom? Ran across another rom that was supposedly much lighter than CM but cannot find that url again. Thoughts? Would hate to go through all the older zvh/zvd crap if I don't have to.

Thank you for your time and effort!

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
@bigsupersquid Found your article for the Optimus S over on another android forum and just necro'd the thread before finding this one. Hoping your personal stuff is doing better and you're still active. d-(^.^)-b

I have two Sprint LS670 (2.3.3 LS670MJV_6150 zvj.47B56B46) that I'm looking to upgrade to 4.4.4 in order to use the Family Link app so I can set them up for my young kids to use as Hangout phones around the house. I've rooted a few tablets, but this is my first time tackling a phone and I've read conflicting reports about downgrading baseband or not for the ZVJ phones. Not really worried about the carrier working as they'll just be on wifi in the house and use Hangouts to call us if needed. In fact, best battery life is ideal.

Is there a "final" stable release out there? Or leads on a new rom? Ran across another rom that was supposedly much lighter than CM but cannot find that url again. Thoughts? Would hate to go through all the older zvh/zvd crap if I don't have to.

Thank you for your time and effort!
Thanks, I'm better, the ex is finally moved out and I've got the house to myself and half the time with my kids, so it's pretty nice now.
Any baseband should work.
The version linked here is latest, I built one this year with HardLight's repo for the Optimus one, but SMS/MMS was broken unless using a third party app, so I left it alone rather than debug the telephony project.
Currently there's no new release but if I get free time (lol) I'll work on it.
Honestly, I keep saying everywhere, I'd love to maintain phone OS's for a living, but so far haven't found real money in it.

Reactions: thewraith420

speck1234

Jan 27, 2017
I tried to flash the OS2SD version on my LS670 in TWRP 2.3.3.3 and got error status 7.
No way to attach the log so I'll type what the log said here:
Installing update...
set_metadata_recursive: some cha
(cut off of screen, TWRP won't let me read the rest)
E:Error in /sdcard/cm-11-2014011
(again cut off screen)
(Status 7)
I'm confused. How do you use the wipe_scripts folder?

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
os2sd will have to have an sd card correctly formatted to flash without errors.

if you can use adb on a computer connected to the phone I can help debug.
you'll have to put the contents of the /tmp/recovery.log file on pastebin.com and post the link it gives you here.
also if you're not using the recovery linked in the first post it will have issues. The recovery fstab is special for the SD card OS2SD setup, and unless TLS is turned on in the kernel of the recovery you're using, it will not be able to execute the update-binary from the OS2SD zip files.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewraith420

thewraith420

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6
os2sd will have to have an sd card correctly formatted to flash without errors.

if you can use adb on a computer connected to the phone I can help debug.
you'll have to put the contents of the /tmp/recovery.log file on pastebin.com and post the link it gives you here.
also if you're not using the recovery linked in the first post it will have issues. The recovery fstab is special for the SD card OS2SD setup, and unless TLS is turned on in the kernel of the recovery you're using, it will not be able to execute the update-binary from the OS2SD zip files.
Just wow... I stopped over here out of curiosity. I dont have my Optimus V anymore but it was my first android experience and I learned so much here and on the android central forum for this device. It blows my mind the old trusty Optimus is still being used. It's good to see you bigsupersquid my freind. Hope all is going well for you. Back in the day, you, me, kraven, and some others made some major brakethroughs for this device its nostalgic coming back here for me lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

speck1234

Jan 27, 2017
I don't have a computer available to use ADB or even partition the SD card. I currently have CM7 Gingerbread on my Optimus S rooted. Internet isn't working on it so I can't even use Play Store to search for an app that works like AParted(needs minimum 4.0 JBean according to apk4fun.com) but is compatible. Any partition apps out there compatible with Gingerbread?

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Just wow... I stopped over here out of curiosity. I dont have my Optimus V anymore but it was my first android experience and I learned so much here and on the android central forum for this device. It blows my mind the old trusty Optimus is still being used. It's good to see you bigsupersquid my freind. Hope all is going well for you. Back in the day, you, me, kraven, and some others made some major brakethroughs for this device its nostalgic coming back here for me lol.

ha, yeah, I have to set up a phone for my older kid who happens to be quite a delinquent. I've dropped virgin mobile due to raised costs, up to $60 for the unlimited 3g data vs the original $25.
But using Harmonia I can get into the service programming menu ##virgin# and set the MDN and MSID for service on HelloMobile (Qlink) for under $10/month with 1GB limited data. I don't want the kid to have internet access, so the fact that stock won't even see 3g on qwest doesn't bother me.
I'm putting internal kitkat on it so it'll run spotify over wifi, with no web browser. If the apns-conf.xml allows qwest 3g, I'll just comment it out. I don't want her to have more than text and voice calls on any device I allow her to have due to the issues she causes via the internet.
//edit: POS Spotify only works over cellular data from the version I could find for kitkat, and YouTube won't fit together with new play services, so back to bobzhome gingerbread it goes.
TheKraven nudged me into kernel development and from there I jumped into ROMs with kitkat for the Optimus S/V. Before that I mostly just tweaked ports or straight up installed other people's work, so this was my starting point for anything more than app programming in j2me or hacking java apps onto phones that wouldn't allow installing without paying through some app store.

I should rebuild this from HardLight's OS2SD repo, it just needs the 3g tweak from TeamHydra telephony package thrown in and the kernel from this, and this one is stale by years of security patches. Still fresher than Froyo or GB though, you can't even get apps like spotify or youtube to connect to their servers on stock V or S software anymore. I was pleased he ran with the idea for the optimus one long after androidarmv6 kicked the bucket, much less after support faded for the s/v.

I don't have a computer available to use ADB or even partition the SD card. I currently have CM7 Gingerbread on my Optimus S rooted. Internet isn't working on it so I can't even use Play Store to search for an app that works like AParted(needs minimum 4.0 JBean according to apk4fun.com) but is compatible. Any partition apps out there compatible with Gingerbread?
you can use twrp to copy the /tmp/recovery.log file to sdcard and upload it from there from the phone itself.
still, with the older twrp, it won't flash os2sd, and it'll flash the internal kitkat to the wrong partitions, swapping system and userdata. that was an androidarmv6 tweak I absorbed to open some more MB of space on system for kitkat.
you could flash the internal rom with the older twrp if you open the zip file and modify the updater-script by changing all incidences of "/system" to "/data" and "/data" to "/system" first. You'll also need an older update-binary from something that does flash in your TWRP with edify scripting, because this one is built with TLS enabled, and that'll crash when trying to run it from older kernels.
Internal is pretty thoroughly trimmed down to fit the limited /system space of the optimus s/v though. you have to extract apps from the /extras folder and install them manually after first boot if you want them.... Like the web browser.
OS2SD is the way to go for kitkat, but you need a good fast SD card, which they do sell now. And you'll have to install the OS2SD friendly TWRP from the first post to use it. I'd advise using that TWRP if you want to use the internal ROM as well to save tweaking.
That TWRP version will partition the card for you. There should be instructions early in the thread, I'll make sure they are still there.
also, for years now, Google play services has had neon assembly instructions buried in their kitkat armv5 gapps, which causes random force closes, often enough I modified a version of this for myself while I was still using it so the notification said "Google Play Services has sucked" rather than the stock "stopped" message just so I could chuckle instead of curse at it.

Last edited:

speck1234

Jan 27, 2017
Since I don't have a PC on hand and my LS670 with CM7 is the absolutely the only rooted phone I have on hand, Flash Image GUI was my only hope. But the OS2SD-friendly TWRP wouldn't boot even after a successful flash. My LS670 that once had stock ZVJ simply reboots when it tries go into recovery, I tried with the button method and in CM7 and got no luck. I tried to flash it a second time and it still doesn't go into the recovery. To rule out a corrupt download I'll try to download it again and compare the MD5s.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Btw it's the TLS enabled TWRP. How do I figure out if my LS670 supports it?

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Since I don't have a PC on hand and my LS670 with CM7 is the absolutely the only rooted phone I have on hand, Flash Image GUI was my only hope. But the OS2SD-friendly TWRP wouldn't boot even after a successful flash. My LS670 that once had stock ZVJ simply reboots when it tries go into recovery, I tried with the button method and in CM7 and got no luck. I tried to flash it a second time and it still doesn't go into the recovery. To rule out a corrupt download I'll try to download it again and compare the MD5s.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Btw it's the TLS enabled TWRP. How do I figure out if my LS670 supports it?
it should be supported. there could've been download corruption or a bad flash.
before going further I'd put back the twrp you were using if possible to have working recovery.
your older twrp should be able to flash the newer one from in the recovery.
there may also be a glitch in the updater-script for the os2sd rom at the end where it flashes boot.img, I'll check it out and reupload it if necessary. I'll post when that's done.

speck1234

Jan 27, 2017
It was CWM I was using, not TWRP. Let me know when you do because neither version of TWRP in the Drive link worked on my LS670. Tried both versions and phone reboots when trying to go into recovery. Prior to that I tried flashing both TWRPs using both CWM and Flash Image GUI and it still reboots and refuses to go into recovery. If anyone knows how and where to get a good working bootable OS2SD friendly NON-TLS TWRP for the LS670 I'm all ears, because the issue might be related to TLS and I'm new to all this.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

I even tried flashing one of the internal builds of CM11 using CWM and it gave me an error with Status 0

Last edited:

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
It was CWM I was using, not TWRP. Let me know when you do because neither version of TWRP in the Drive link worked on my LS670. Tried both versions and phone reboots when trying to go into recovery. Prior to that I tried flashing both TWRPs using both CWM and Flash Image GUI and it still reboots and refuses to go into recovery. If anyone knows how and where to get a good working bootable OS2SD friendly NON-TLS TWRP for the LS670 I'm all ears, because the issue might be related to TLS and I'm new to all this.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

I even tried flashing one of the internal builds of CM11 using CWM and it gave me an error with Status 0
I'll poke at the zip files now.
if the twrp recovery installer zip's update-binary is too new it might cause flashing errors, but I thought I used an older one intentionally for that.
I do have a vm670 rather than an ls670, they use the same board but the partitioning is a little different. so maybe the recovery partition is a little small on the ls670? but I hadn't heard this issue before. also back when this was active, I did not get any reports of Optimus s having issues with either twrp or TLS
Depending on how in-depth you'd like to go, it can probably be debugged, since you say your ROM is rooted. You'd have to install connectbot unless your CM has terminal. A few terminal commands would get logs and partition information, and you could post that here. Let me know if you want to try those. that'd show why the recovery reboots via a /proc/last_kmsg.
First, post me a flashable zip file that works in your current recovery, preferably a flashable recovery zip itself. I can use that to make one for twrp for you with a compatible update-binary.
The OS2SD ROM is fun to run, it makes the little phone feel bigger, but it is a little glitchy, just because even getting it to run required a lot of patches and build tweaks inherited from the now-defunct and disbanded androidarmv6 team. There's things like the 3.0 kernel is known to eat power while the wifi is turned on due to a sleep issue with the BCM chip. And it's slow to wake from screen off randomly. At one point the alarms failed to go off. but if I remember right, that's fixed. It's been a couple years since I used it myself.
plus there'll be many installable apks which crash due to neon assembly language code being assumed compatible due to kitkat, but it's not. because the *670s are armv6k, not armv7 and don't run neon code. that's the reason for the aforementioned patches and build tweaks.
anyway, let me know if you want to use the terminal for logging and data, and post me a working recovery zip if you can. It's the weekend so I can keep tabs on the thread.
you can't effectively flash any of these roms with cwm. you'd have to change the installer scripts even if it could handle the binaries. the internal and os2sd (ext4 only) ROMS have their installer scripts fixed (to make sure they'll flash the boot.img) and are re-uploaded now. but they'll still only work with the twrp I have posted. cwm uses a different partition map due to the kernel changes. and the new twrp will not correctly flash old ROMs, also because system and userdata are reversed in the partition map.

//edit:
hmmm, the update-binary in the twrp zip file looks like it should work, but cwm may not use the newer edify scripting. it might be fine. flash image gui should work, though, if I remember right. so still might need a last_kmsg after it reboots from recovery.
so it might help if you post a recovery.zip that does work for you. I can modify it for the newer twrp and that'll be simpler to test than having to type in terminal and upload files from sdcard.

Last edited:
Reactions: speck1234

speck1234

Jan 27, 2017
it should be supported. there could've been download corruption or a bad flash.
before going further I'd put back the twrp you were using if possible to have working recovery.
your older twrp should be able to flash the newer one from in the recovery.
there may also be a glitch in the updater-script for the os2sd rom at the end where it flashes boot.img, I'll check it out and reupload it if necessary. I'll post when that's done.

I'll poke at the zip files now.
if the twrp recovery installer zip's update-binary is too new it might cause flashing errors, but I thought I used an older one intentionally for that.
I do have a vm670 rather than an ls670, they use the same board but the partitioning is a little different. so maybe the recovery partition is a little small on the ls670? but I hadn't heard this issue before. also back when this was active, I did not get any reports of Optimus s having issues with either twrp or TLS
Depending on how in-depth you'd like to go, it can probably be debugged, since you say your ROM is rooted. You'd have to install connectbot unless your CM has terminal. A few terminal commands would get logs and partition information, and you could post that here. Let me know if you want to try those. that'd show why the recovery reboots via a /proc/last_kmsg.
First, post me a flashable zip file that works in your current recovery, preferably a flashable recovery zip itself. I can use that to make one for twrp for you with a compatible update-binary.
The OS2SD ROM is fun to run, it makes the little phone feel bigger, but it is a little glitchy, just because even getting it to run required a lot of patches and build tweaks inherited from the now-defunct and disbanded androidarmv6 team. There's things like the 3.0 kernel is known to eat power while the wifi is turned on due to a sleep issue with the BCM chip. And it's slow to wake from screen off randomly. At one point the alarms failed to go off. but if I remember right, that's fixed. It's been a couple years since I used it myself.
plus there'll be many installable apks which crash due to neon assembly language code being assumed compatible due to kitkat, but it's not. because the *670s are armv6k, not armv7 and don't run neon code. that's the reason for the aforementioned patches and build tweaks.
anyway, let me know if you want to use the terminal for logging and data, and post me a working recovery zip if you can. It's the weekend so I can keep tabs on the thread.
you can't effectively flash any of these roms with cwm. you'd have to change the installer scripts even if it could handle the binaries. the internal and os2sd (ext4 only) ROMS have their installer scripts fixed (to make sure they'll flash the boot.img) and are re-uploaded now. but they'll still only work with the twrp I have posted. cwm uses a different partition map due to the kernel changes. and the new twrp will not correctly flash old ROMs, also because system and userdata are reversed in the partition map.

//edit:
hmmm, the update-binary in the twrp zip file looks like it should work, but cwm may not use the newer edify scripting. it might be fine. flash image gui should work, though, if I remember right. so still might need a last_kmsg after it reboots from recovery.
so it might help if you post a recovery.zip that does work for you. I can modify it for the newer twrp and that'll be simpler to test than having to type in terminal and upload files from sdcard.

I was busy on the weekend sorry about that. But thanks for the advice though. I remember having a test TWRP someone made for the LS670 and it worked, but I don't remember where I found it on the internet though. It said something like twrp_ls670_test3.zip and it was on MediaFire but I don't have it downloaded anymore, I accidentally deleted it. Stupid me. My CM7 has a terminal emulator built-in so I'll have a look at the last_kmsg and the logcat. Also I'll dig Google for the TWRP and keep you posted once I get it. I'm on XDA on the mobile browser and I will still need to figure out how to upload files here, if XDA even allows me to.

Edit: Found it. The working recovery is attached.

Attachments

• twrp-ls670-test3.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is unofficial cm11 kitkat android 4.4.4 for the Virgin Mobile Optimus V (runs on Sprint Optimus S as well)
    Uses my 3.08 kernel.
    I'm offering this over here because skinbark has been busy for quite a while and my builds are way more updated these days.

Purely experimental builds. No real support, I'm sharing my personal builds plus making equivalent internal builds for those of you who like them.

newest builds offering f2fs os2sd!
    also fixed camera, and kernel updated to 3.0.101 with HardLight's patchset.

second post mostly outdated, now it's opengapps instead of pa for example. I haven't been updating this in literally years.

now using some of
    [COMMIT] [AOSP] JustArchi's ArchiDroid Optimizations - Increases performance up to 6x

go thank justarchi for source of optimizations.
    not right now said:
    now built with linaro gcc 4.7 (kernel is built with homebrew ct-ng armv6k tweaked linaro gcc 4.7) with -O3 optimizations, except -Os thumb.

Wifi AP will reboot if turned on/off/on.
    Everything else should work, tell me if it doesn't.

OS2SD /data mounting tweaks from HardLight's OS2SD version.

Smaller, more limited, standard nand-flashable internal builds offered for backwards compatibility or the less adventurous.

Use only THIS RECOVERY (info) (download)
    archived said:

download folder for internal builds:
    download folder for OS2SD builds:
    here's partitioning info for the OS2SD recovery.
    advise: whatever leftover on your card for VFAT/sdcard, either 1Mb or 864Mb swap, 512Mb-768Mb for system, 1Gb or more for data.
    expand /sdcard and/or /data as preferred if you use a bigger card. more space in /system? dunno why. doubt there's enough armv6 system apps to fill 512Mb.

current internal build: cm-11-20141014-EXPERIMENTAL-bigsuperROM_internal-thunderc.zip

current OS2SD build: cm-11-20141018-EXPERIMENTAL-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip

this should be considered a dev thread since it's on XDA, there's an earlier and discussion thread here.
    Sprint and Verizon fix zips attached. Flash in recovery after the ROM before first boot.

OS2SD info in 2nd post.
    almost forgot: source
    https://github.com/bigsupersquid/android_roomservice

Gapps:
    advise: Skinny_4.4_Gapps_new_internal.zip for easy gapps. From here Optimus S won't fit the larger Skinny_4.4_Gapps-new.zip but the V should.
    Be patient on first boot. Some reports are as long as 10 min to get past the bootanimation. Takes me at least 5 min.

Carrier Fixes:
    Sprint and Verizon. Want another? Got an apns-conf.xml, then post it and your other carrier info.

Basic instructions for internal install:
    in twrp, wipe internal data, internal system, and cache.
    flash rom, internal carrier fix, gapps.
    reboot system.

androidarmv6 turned on TLS in the kernel, and swapped the /system and /data partitions for more room on /system, so you have to use the newest TWRP-multi now as well.

thanks androidarmv6, cyanogen, aosp, thekraven for TheJBC and help, skinbark for initial booting and much work on kitkat for these phones, and techvendetta for his TWRP port. Thanks androidarmv6 and thunderg devs for 3.08 kernel I ported over to thunderc, and HardLight for f2fs in kernel and fstab flags.
    OS2SD

OS2SD information

I have been playing with rom-from-sd for quite a while.
    kitkat and cm11 make it easy, just by changing the fstab you can mount the ext partitions instead of the mtd partitions in init.*.rc

OS2SD (skinbark named it, it was my mod) uses the regular VFAT plus 3 extra ext4 (or one linux-swap and 2 ext4) partitions on the SD card to hold /swap, /system, /data. Recommend in order: leftover after other 3, 512MB, 512Mb, 1024Mb.
    This allows virtually unlimited storage without link2sd methods of any kind. /system can handle whatever you want to flash to it without running out of space, which is handy because kitkat has to be trimmed down to fit an Optimus S or V with their respective 15*Mb or 165Mb of /system space.

when android is running from the card, mount external storage allows manipulation of /system and /data from your linux file manager.

Yeah, yeah, it's all a security hole, but I don't care. It's experimental and fun, and you can fit hundreds of apps on this four year old phone that is labelled 'obsolete' by LG and Qualcomm both.

I still need to remove the 'format sd' and 'unmount sd' from the storage menu in settings to avoid crashes.

Gapps:
    advise: Skinny_4.4_Gapps-new.zip for easy gapps. From here

if you want a REAL gapps package...
    I made pa_gapps flashing facilitator for twrp/os2sd.
    Go get current micro pa_gapps, don't touch the zip.
    flash after rom, pa_gapps_modular_micro*.zip no reboot needed.
    then after flashing pa_gapps you flash the facilitator (it gets rid of armv7 keyboard libs and installs compatible play services framework.)
    if you want to use any bigger pa_gapps packages (and you can even install the 200+Mb Stock package on os2sd!) you'll have to follow the instructions for the pa_gapps remover zip TKruzze posted up to remove Google+ (or you'll have fc'ing nightmares) and don't let it install Chrome either (there's another text file needed on the card like the remover, TKruzze left instructions.)
    Remember, if you install Google Now (Search) go as quickly as possible into app drawer>Google settings>Search and Now>Voice>Hotword Detection and turn it off, then back up one submenu to Voice again and turn off all the checkboxes.
    You can install voice search and talkback from market (enable talkback in accessibility settings) for those functions without fc. (and voice search wrapper from xda if you want voice control over Search.)

or just go the easy way on os2sd and use the Skinny_4.4_Gapps_new.zip which don't need a facilitator. But it's harder to get current Google Search that way since Play thinks we can't handle it.

Basic instructions for OS2SD install:
    Use NEW twrp.
    Wipe system, data, cache. Flash ROM carrier fix, gapps.
    reboot.

ha, yeah, I have to set up a phone for my older kid who happens to be quite a delinquent. I've dropped virgin mobile due to raised costs, up to $60 for the unlimited 3g data vs the original $25.
    But using Harmonia I can get into the service programming menu ##virgin# and set the MDN and MSID for service on HelloMobile (Qlink) for under $10/month with 1GB limited data. I don't want the kid to have internet access, so the fact that stock won't even see 3g on qwest doesn't bother me.
    I'm putting internal kitkat on it so it'll run spotify over wifi, with no web browser. If the apns-conf.xml allows qwest 3g, I'll just comment it out. I don't want her to have more than text and voice calls on any device I allow her to have due to the issues she causes via the internet.
    //edit: POS Spotify only works over cellular data from the version I could find for kitkat, and YouTube won't fit together with new play services, so back to bobzhome gingerbread it goes.
    TheKraven nudged me into kernel development and from there I jumped into ROMs with kitkat for the Optimus S/V. Before that I mostly just tweaked ports or straight up installed other people's work, so this was my starting point for anything more than app programming in j2me or hacking java apps onto phones that wouldn't allow installing without paying through some app store.

I should rebuild this from HardLight's OS2SD repo, it just needs the 3g tweak from TeamHydra telephony package thrown in and the kernel from this, and this one is stale by years of security patches. Still fresher than Froyo or GB though, you can't even get apps like spotify or youtube to connect to their servers on stock V or S software anymore. I was pleased he ran with the idea for the optimus one long after androidarmv6 kicked the bucket, much less after support faded for the s/v.

you can use twrp to copy the /tmp/recovery.log file to sdcard and upload it from there from the phone itself.
    still, with the older twrp, it won't flash os2sd, and it'll flash the internal kitkat to the wrong partitions, swapping system and userdata. that was an androidarmv6 tweak I absorbed to open some more MB of space on system for kitkat.
    you could flash the internal rom with the older twrp if you open the zip file and modify the updater-script by changing all incidences of "/system" to "/data" and "/data" to "/system" first. You'll also need an older update-binary from something that does flash in your TWRP with edify scripting, because this one is built with TLS enabled, and that'll crash when trying to run it from older kernels.
    Internal is pretty thoroughly trimmed down to fit the limited /system space of the optimus s/v though. you have to extract apps from the /extras folder and install them manually after first boot if you want them.... Like the web browser.
    OS2SD is the way to go for kitkat, but you need a good fast SD card, which they do sell now. And you'll have to install the OS2SD friendly TWRP from the first post to use it. I'd advise using that TWRP if you want to use the internal ROM as well to save tweaking.
    That TWRP version will partition the card for you. There should be instructions early in the thread, I'll make sure they are still there.
    also, for years now, Google play services has had neon assembly instructions buried in their kitkat armv5 gapps, which causes random force closes, often enough I modified a version of this for myself while I was still using it so the notification said "Google Play Services has sucked" rather than the stock "stopped" message just so I could chuckle instead of curse at it.
    bump for really new release.

now using
    [COMMIT] [AOSP] JustArchi's ArchiDroid Optimizations - Increases performance up to 6x

go thank justarchi for source of optimizations.
    now built with linaro gcc 4.8 (kernel is only linaro gcc 4.7) with -O3 optimizations.
    unfortunately all but one of my vm670s no longer function. I'll have to borrow the one my child is issuing to grab recovery from it.
    still, I'm pretty sure the posted image is functional under normal circumstances.