Solution to lag?

Search This thread

cjranucci

Nov 7, 2007
Dallas, TX
3. turn off the s voice shortcut
- open s voice, go to settings then uncheck open via home key

The reason that this works is that the GS5 is setup (by default) to open S Voice on double home button press. This means every time you press the home button, there will be an intentional lag as the devices waits for a second press of the home button. Disable S Voice and you should see a noticeable improvement in response time of the home button.

mcmb03

Feb 24, 2011
The reason that this works is that the GS5 is setup (by default) to open S Voice on double home button press. This means every time you press the home button, there will be an intentional lag as the devices waits for a second press of the home button. Disable S Voice and you should see a noticeable improvement in response time of the home button.

yes exactly, sorry forgot to add that part to my small tips :) thanks!

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
By the way your post somewhat worked for me too so that's nice ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Every S4 had lag buddy. The S5 has been greatly improved but the .75 sec delay when closing an app just isn't noticeable to everyone. I bet if I picked up your buddy's S5 I would find lag. It's on every device, everyone just doesn't notice it. that's a fact!

I guess its a fact for those who notice it. Its a fact if you consider it lag, but if ppl don't consider the 0.65 sec lag then there's none. Fact ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cpgifford

cpgifford

Oct 2, 2010
Houston, Tx
@Kael ruch "disable" them. You can do this from the apps menu in the settings. This will cause them not to open and remove them from your app drawer.

Kael ruch

Feb 5, 2014
Dhaka
I love ultimate power saver I turn it on every night before I go to bed and I have only had it drop 2% at most

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
The only lag I've seen is when I open up the gallery. I just did the developers options and turned animation off so hopefully that helps. I was using themer so I don't really have "touchwiz" issues.

bailey37821

Sep 21, 2012
It is not a fact. It is a matter of opinion. All computing devices have response times greater than zero. Some people will implicitly define lag as 0.1 second, some might define it as 0.5 sec. Some might define it as 1 second.

Since there is no standardized definition of "lag", saying a device has lag or not, is merely stating a personal impression.

Agreed. Best explanation thus far. Every device has lag (period). However after saying that... I believe my S5 is under .3 sec in most operations. Impo, when you hit under .33 sec most people will not notice.

Placing my S5 next to my G-Pro and an S3, I can barely tell any difference at all. The S3 has more but I have to concentrate to see it and have them side by side

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Speaking of lag...this is sort of related in a round about way, LOL

Can anyone running "swiftkey" pop into your running apps/processes and see how much ram it is eating. (as long as your runtime has not been changed) if you dont know what that is, then it has not been changed. I see something interesting and just wanted to confirm. thanks

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

What is the best way to turn off the bloat apps

thread here as well as the other answers.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2719325

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Here is what iv'e done this far that would have an effect on perceived "lag"

1. Turned off animations. Biggest difference thus far in perception of speed "lag"
2. Debloated which in turn got rid of a few things running in the background http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2719325 . Made a noticeable difference, but not as much as # 1
3. Switched my runtime to ART. No perceivable difference so far but its only been converted over for a couple hours. I'll report back in a few days. May or may not have some very slight benefit in other areas.
4. Side loaded Google experience launcher (now launcher) what ever you want to call it. Seemed snappier but it may have been a placebo effect. Not enough difference in any case to cause me to keep it. I did not care for the overall look and resolution. I also tried Nova launcher; I think it is the best alternative launcher right now for the s5 although the perceived lag was only minutely improved if at all, there are other benefits to Nova. After saying that I'll admit that I did not keep Nova but not because of any inherent problems, only because I actually don't think that Touch Wiz is bad after turning off the bloat and the animations. It is a heck of a lot better than it was on the s3....that is certain.
5. Pray daily for root exploit...seems to help a bit :)

Last edited:

bailey37821

Sep 21, 2012
Art run time and "lag"

update to changing run time.

I completed testing today using a variety of methods.

ART is actually slower at the moment. Of course it is still young and should get better. ANTUTU shows lower scores and I see more lag time in opening apps versus Dalvik. Oddly enough though I see less ram usage in certain apps under ART. This is curious as the way ART is set up, you would think you might see more ram usage or at least the same.

At the moment I am back to Dalvik, animations disabled, touchwiz, and apps that I dont use disabled (at least the ones I can disable). Perceivable lag is nominal at most (to me)

Greycloak42

Feb 25, 2011
Can anyone running "swiftkey" pop into your running apps/processes and see how much ram it is eating. (as long as your runtime has not been changed) if you dont know what that is, then it has not been changed. I see something interesting and just wanted to confirm. thanks

22mb using dalvik.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

amsguitarist

Feb 5, 2012
I assume the delay that is present in TouchWiz is due to allocated resources for things like smartstay, multiwindow, airview... etc. unfortunately that is a trade off you have to make if you like or want those features.

njdave684

Jul 25, 2012
I haven't had any lag at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

azraik

May 22, 2009
I think I may have temporarily fixed my lag problem, hopefully some of you experiencing lag will give it a try and see if it works for you.

I was just playing around with features I hadn't messed with today and of course my S5 had become laggy the last few days. Just for fun I enabled Ultimate Power Saving mode and played with it for a min then turned it off. To my surprise I was flipping through my screens and the animations are typically laggy and suddenly they were lag free?! What the heck....

Anyway some apps are still not the fastest, but my screen transitions and overall speed has been quicker since turning the Ultimate Powersaving mode on and off.

Just wanted to say that this "fix" totally worked for me too!

YasinOzkan

Oct 26, 2014
Do you have evidence to back that up? My buddy has the S5 for Sprint and he's never rooted or uninstalled a single application on his phones. He's not tech savvy and uses them to play a game or two, call, and text. I picked his up to mess with it a bit and there wasn't a single hint of lag. It isn't that I couldn't notice it, it's that it simply wasn't there. so... not EVERY S5 has lag just like NOT EVERY S4, Note III, etc...

Scroll down fast in the play store, and you'll see the lag. I didn't have this lag with Nexus 5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have evidence to back that up? My buddy has the S5 for Sprint and he's never rooted or uninstalled a single application on his phones. He's not tech savvy and uses them to play a game or two, call, and text. I picked his up to mess with it a bit and there wasn't a single hint of lag. It isn't that I couldn't notice it, it's that it simply wasn't there. so... not EVERY S5 has lag just like NOT EVERY S4, Note III, etc...

Every S4 had lag buddy. The S5 has been greatly improved but the .75 sec delay when closing an app just isn't noticeable to everyone. I bet if I picked up your buddy's S5 I would find lag. It's on every device, everyone just doesn't notice it. that's a fact!
    OP: You do realize that with ultimate power mode turned on, the device WILL LAG and that's perfectly normal. It is throttling back the CPU/GPU to save battery life. I am still not sure if you are being serious or not. I was under the impression everyone knew that.

Maybe I wasn't very clear. I have the lag in the REGULAR mode. I had never touched ultimate power saving mode until today. I flipped it on and when I turned it off all my lag was gone from REGULAR mode.

After turning off all animations in developer options (first thing I did), I never experienced lag whatsoever.
    If you want to use touchwiz with minimal to no lag, try these things out. (also reduces some battery consumption)

1. Turn of My Magazine
    - long press app switcher on home screen, then go to home screen settings and uncheck my magazine
    - go to app manager then all apps. fine my magazine and turn it off. yes you can skip the first part of this, but this is the proper way to disable it so the system knows it's off before disabling it.
    2. turn transition & animatior scales down or off
    - enable dev options "(setings, about device, tap on build number a bunch)
    - in dev options under drawing change the transition and animator scales down or off completely
    3. turn off the s voice shortcut
    - open s voice, go to settings then uncheck open via home key

hope this helps some people get rid of their "lag"
    Can we all just get along lol cmon guys.