No-Root Modifications

Search This thread

Pneumatic

Jul 18, 2010
Those of us who are waiting for root are having to figure out ways to do the things that come easily with root. If you have any cool tips and tricks for accomplishing tasks that are generally reserved for rooted phones I would be SUPER interested in hearing about them. A few that I am using:

Block This - An ad blocker that works for both apps and web browsing..... And it's FREE.

Package Disabler Pro - A great way to disable the bloat and preinstalled apps that are annoying.

FoxFi - Wireless tether that works. The Pro version doesn't have any caps or limits so it's worth it if you use it often.

What say you?

EDIT: Here are some of the apps that have been mentioned in the thread....

Light flow - allows you to take control of the notifications on your device.

Smart Pocket - Skip tracks with double click volume button and more.

Greenify - "Greenify help you identify and put the misbehaving apps into hibernation when you are not using them."

No Root Tethering "No root tethering. (This works on the Sprint version, and should work on the Verizon one. Not sure about others.) You'll need to get your MSL from Sprint."

MacroDroid Set up macros to perform tasks. I personally use this one to start Pandora when my phone connects via Bluetooth to my car stereo. Works well. :)

Galaxy Button Lights - Disable capacitive button backlights.

NetGuard - Ad blocking from XDA

All in one gestures - Control your device with simple gestures.

Screen Lock Pro - Allows you to screen off and lock the device. Will not trigger the pin input when you have fingerprint lock on.

OGYouTube - Ad Free YouTube!!

EasyDownloader for Instagram - Save pictures and videos directly from Instagram app (photos and videos).

KLWP Live Wallpaper Maker - "You'll be designing your phone exactly how you want in no time.. And it will keep you busy for sure. The possibilities are endless. It does require Nova Launcher or many others.."

Social Contact Photo Sync - Synchronize your phone contacts with high resolution photos from social networks and partly even from social apps.

Be sure to give a thanks to all of those who have contributed this thread. I will add more as they come in. :)

Last edited:

Sharky444

Sep 22, 2011
Light flow has Galaxy S6/S7 no-root support. Light flow allows you to take control of the notifications on your device. Its main features are: Controlling the notification LED for phones that have them (cycling colors through outstanding notifications)...

Reactions: Garrett1972

zentex

Nov 30, 2010
~/
what does 'package disabler pro' do that we can't do ourselves in the app manager?

zachchen1996

Sep 1, 2010
Those of us who are waiting for root are having to figure out ways to do the things that come easily with root. If you have any cool tips and tricks for accomplishing tasks that are generally reserved for rooted phones I would be SUPER interested in hearing about them. A few that I am using:

Block This - An ad blocker that works for both apps and web browsing.

How does it compare to adguard? Is it faster?

babylordx

Jun 22, 2013

Block This - An ad blocker that works for both apps and web browsing..... And it's FREE.

Package Disabler Pro - A great way to disable the bloat and preinstalled apps that are annoying.

FoxFi - Wireless tether that works. The Pro version doesn't have any caps or limits so it's worth it if you use it often.

What say you?
Perfect~ Package Disabler Pro must have

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Why would anyone want to change the DPI? Can I see comparison screenshots?

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-DPI-setting-before-after.jpg

640 default in comparison to 540. Personally, I have mine set to 560, the ideal DPI for me on this phone.

greyhulk

Jan 14, 2009

What say you?

I wish I had known about Block This. I purchased a lifetime subscription to Adguard, which works well, but was rather expensive.

Top Liked Posts