[MOD] Stock Launcher | No Search Bar | 4x5 Portrait Grid | 4.0.4 Test Version Avail!

Search This thread

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Click Here For 4.0.4 Test Version

Introduction
Here is a version of the stock ICS/GN launcher modded to remove the search bar and reclaim that space in portrait mode by providing a 4x5 grid. The search bar is hidden, the grid is increased to 4x5 and the margins are all adjusted to compensate.

Compatibility

• Version 3.0 is for ROM's prior to 4.0.3 (includes landscape support)
  • Verison 4.0 is for ROM's with Android 4.0.3 or later (landscape support coming soon)

Features:
  • Google search bar removed from home screen
  • Search still works as expected
  • Choose 3, 5 or 7* (*experimental) home screens!
  • Great with Paul's search button mod available here
  • 4x5 grid enabled in portrait mode to reclaim the search bar space
  • Vertical grid height reduced slightly to accommodate 5 rows
  • Landscape (where available) remains 4x4 (4x5 doesn't fit without scaling) so bottom row is chopped off (gracefully)
  • Transparent folders by Evostance included in version 4 and up!

Screenshots:

ICSModv3Port.png
ICSModv3Land.png

Installation:
  1. Works on most ICS roms (you may experience problems with smaller resolution screens)
  2. Install an alternative launcher first so you have options if this does not work!
  3. Boot to CWM recovery and make a backup
  4. Select one zip file from this list:

5. Flash the selected zip in recovery
  6. Hit thanks below if it works out for you and please provide feedback

Optional Stock Folders
The latest mod includes transparent folder backgrounds, if you'd prefer the stock/standard black circular ones then follow the link below.
  • Instructions to revert to stock icons: click here

Credit & Thanks

• Evostance for providing me with the 4.0.3 framework and launcher to work with as well as the transparent folder pngs!
  • Paul @ MoDaCo for including this mod in the MCR kitchen... :cool:

Launcher Tweaking Instructions

The method to achieve this mod with the stock launcher is substantially more complex since Android 4.0.3 so I've provided some instructions in the document linked below. I can't promise these will stay relevant and you need to have some pre-existing knowledge before you can start but they should help.

Tweaking the ICS Launcher (xda post)

If this helps you also, then consider hitting 'Thanks' below.

Last edited:

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
so far so good. i'm not too keen on auto rotation of launchers, but otherwise i'm quite pleased with it. on other launchers it's still a 4x4 grid, which i'm sure you know. i like having that extra space personally, though. thanks :)
also, will let you know if i run into any issues.

edit: def a little tight at the top, btw.
edit: actually, after loading the Google Voice widget, it sits at the top just like on my SGS2. BUT, there's still room on the left and right, unlike how it was on the SGS2. it just filled up an entire square. so possibly decrease the side margins i'm thinking.

Last edited:

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
so far so good. i'm not too keen on auto rotation of launchers, but otherwise i'm quite pleased with it. on other launchers it's still a 4x4 grid, which i'm sure you know. i like having that extra space personally, though. thanks :)
also, will let you know if i run into any issues.

edit: def a little tight at the top, btw.
edit: actually, after loading the Google Voice widget, it sits at the top just like on my SGS2. BUT, there's still room on the left and right, unlike how it was on the SGS2. it just filled up an entire square. so possibly decrease the side margins i'm thinking.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do a non-rotating one tomorrow if I get time after looking at the margins.

Shetlander

Nov 19, 2008
Link to download comes up with "oops google chrome cant find the file".

Wonder if google have blocked it because they dont like the fact you made there launcher better :)

ankitb4u

Sep 10, 2007
Link to download comes up with "oops google chrome cant find the file".

Wonder if google have blocked it because they dont like the fact you made there launcher better :)
I already got the initial one lets see just restarted it the phone after replacing launcher2.apk via root explorer I was on adw. Now I will go back to the launcher more to follow.

coldchillen

Apr 2, 2010
socal
looks good.. thanks!! always good stuff, especially from the n1 days..

using villainrom on francos kernal. margins are a bit tight, but theyve always been with launchers with 5 rows.

would it be possible to have a 5x5 grid?

Reactions: djmcnz

ankitb4u

Sep 10, 2007
Have not downloaded the modified zip yet this is the original one....

Don't get me wrong this is definitely better than the original one, but I love to use simi clock and you can clearly see the divider bar not getting along here...check it out...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ankitb4u

Sep 10, 2007
Link is down.I would like to test it.Love using the whole screen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Download Temp

He had a file original which is the one I have flashed, while he fixes the link try using the one here.

How I got it to work was. I had the ADW Launcher EX bought it for .10 cent.
Then went via root explorer renamed the original launcher
And then pasted this there.
Rebooted and wallah!

Reactions: djmcnz and afilopou

Waitzar

Feb 3, 2008
Seattle, WA

Don't get me wrong this is definitely better than the original one, but I love to use simi clock and you can clearly see the divider bar not getting along here...check it out...

May I ask what is the name of the widget you are using to show that clock, weather and battery info? It looks very clean!

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Oops! Sorry!

Doh!

Sorry for the link error guys, now fixed in the first post. Thanks to those that helped out in the interim.

I realise there are margin problems, I will look into these tomorrow. Consider this first release a proof of concept.

I can do 5x5, I have had that running but until I fix the margins then 5x5 looks really bad (icons in columns 1 and 5 are cut in half). The problem is that the icon spacing is set to absolute values for 4x4 this is why we also have a problem for the 5 rows at the moment.

No promises but I think we can get perfect 4x5 (portrait) and possibly perfect 5x5 (portrait).

I will not spend a lot of time on landscape however, I never use that.

ankitb4u

Sep 10, 2007
yup simiclock and then a bunch of alterations inside. Background color all zeros then text all black with a bit of alpha and that's it. Simple yet elegant I like it. I used to use fancy widgets but now this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Elemenopee

Apr 21, 2011
Denver, CO

How did you get Simi Clock to work on your GNex? I got it downloaded but couldn't find it in the widget section.

jameslfc5

Sep 27, 2009
How difficult do you think it would be to add an extra few screens to the nexus?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts