LG Stylo 4 root?

Search This thread

hidronico

May 31, 2017
So the LG Stylo 4 is a beautiful budget smartphone and i cant find any information on it here at xda so i figured i would start a thread for people to go to and discuss getting root on this device. Anyone with any experience or if anyone thinks the root process for another lg phone might work with this phone and is willing to test out and report back let us all know.

acrinym

Jan 29, 2014
No, the OEM unlock setting puts the device in a state that "allows" the bootloader to be unlocked, and then the unlock process or method can be initiated.

One example is some devices use fastboot commands to unlock the bootloader, but the OEM unlock setting must be enabled before running the fastboot OEM unlock command to unlock the bootloader. If the OEM unlock setting is not enabled before running the fastboot OEM unlock command, the fastboot command fails.

There are exceptions though, "some" devices can unlock bootloader just by enabling the OEM unlock setting, but this is not very common among android devices, most manufacturers and mobile carriers do not make it that simple to unlock the bootloader on their devices.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

I have a oem unlock feature on mine to unlock the bootloader pretty sure this could be helpful

I found a few threads that may possibly help? After reading this entire thread - we need to have a signed KDZ or ToT....and an unlocked bootloader.

But.... what about this?

https://lgflash.com/

and

https://www.xda-developers.com/kdzz-build-flashable-zips-kdz-files-lg/ ?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
LG must shut down phone business because it's way too locked down
https://amp.tomsguide.com/us/lg-smartphone-problem,news-29906.html
It has nothing to do with being too locked down, it is because their flagship devices are not worth the price that LG "wants" to sell them at. That is why their customers buy more of the budget LG devices.

Consumers are starting to catch onto the idea that smartphone technology has matured to the point that the cheaper devices are as good as flagship devices minus the "special" features that are used to market the flagship devices(features that no one really uses in the first place, features that are more of a novelty than they are useful).

caff3inekills

Apr 18, 2019
I strongly doubt that some noob flipping a switch will hardly be a revelation, but I turned on dev options for the first time on this phone (LM-Q710MS) and the OEM Unlock switch flipped for me.

After discovering this, I tried closing settings, thinking that it would revert upon reopening. Not yet.

So I decided to restart to see if it would revert then. After the reboot I went into developer settings and it was still toggled on.

Again, I'm doubting a noob flipping a switch will be any kind of revelation. I'm guessing it's some knowledge gap of mine.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I strongly doubt that some noob flipping a switch will hardly be a revelation, but I turned on dev options for the first time on this phone (LM-Q710MS) and the OEM Unlock switch flipped for me.

After discovering this, I tried closing settings, thinking that it would revert upon reopening. Not yet.

So I decided to restart to see if it would revert then. After the reboot I went into developer settings and it was still toggled on.

Again, I'm doubting a noob flipping a switch will be any kind of revelation. I'm guessing it's some knowledge gap of mine.
Ok, you enabled the OEM unlock setting, what point are you trying to make?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I read some articles that say unlocking the bootloader is simply turning own unlock on. Is this true?
In a previous post in this thread, I stated that "some" devices can unlock bootloader with just that setting, but it is very device specific. This device does not seem to be one of the "some" devices. In fact, with the way android is becoming more secure with each new version, I doubt that just toggling this setting unlocks bootloader on anything with Marshmallow/Nougat or newer android. This would make it too easy to put the device in an insecure state, something that OEMs are getting more determined to prevent.

Last edited:

caff3inekills

Apr 18, 2019
In a previous post in this thread, I stated that "some" devices can unlock bootloader with just that setting, but it is very device specific. This device does not seem to be one of the "some" devices. In fact, with the way android is becoming more secure with each new version, I doubt that just toggling this setting unlocks bootloader on anything with Marshmallow/Nougat or newer android. This would make it too easy to put the device in an insecure state, something that OEMs are getting more determined to prevent.

Yeah thank you, understood. I haven't fiddled with this stuff for a while so whatever little bit of knowledge I had is extremely rusty.

Thank you for the clarification.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Yeah thank you, understood. I haven't fiddled with this stuff for a while so whatever little bit of knowledge I had is extremely rusty.

Thank you for the clarification.
Don't get me wrong, I could be completely mistaken in regard to this particular device. Don't just take my word for it.

caff3inekills

Apr 18, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I could be completely mistaken in regard to this particular device. Don't just take my word for it.

No, you're right, I flipped the switch a few days ago and finally got around to doing a root check last night and no root.

Edit: At this point I simply don't have any time to dedicate to fiddling around with this, and even if I did my limited knowledge would be a real hurdle.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
No, you're right, I flipped the switch a few days ago and finally got around to doing a root check last night and no root.
That is correct, because flipping the switch doesn't root the device.

In a "perfect world", it would go like this.

1) you would toggle the OEM unlock setting, this would unlock the bootloader to allow flashing unsigned files onto the device.

2) then you would either flash a TWRP.img on the device and then use that TWRP recovery to flash the Magisk installer to root the device, or use Magisk on PC to flash a modified boot.img on the device and then install the Magisk app/framework to root the device.

caff3inekills

Apr 18, 2019
Like I said extremely rusty plus no time on my hands.

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

That is correct, because flipping the switch doesn't root the device.

In a "perfect world", it would go like this.

1) you would toggle the OEM unlock setting, this would unlock the bootloader to allow flashing unsigned files onto the device.

2) then you would either flash a TWRP.img on the device and then use that TWRP recovery to flash the Magisk installer to root the device, or use Magisk on PC to flash a modified boot.img on the device and then install the Magisk app/framework to root the device.

I've decided I'll put a little work into it tonight.

So I've installed the sdk and I did a search of the entire computer with hidden files showing and there is no adb.exe found.

I'm guessing maybe I just installed the wrong version of the sdk? I picked the most basic full version.

Edit, update: I found the standalone sdk platform tools, and it's only 11 MB! (Space is at a premium on my computer, only 32 GB in total including the space for Windows)

Last edited:
Reactions: mazteru

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, just a status update. If you want root and/or custom ROMs on a Stylo 4, do not update beyond 20c and disable automatic updates. Currently working on porting TWRP, but as it stands I have what is effectively a bootloader unlock method. Release will be no sooner than June though but I'm hoping to have everything streamlined for the Stylo 4 /5 (and other LG phones) by then. https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/1239749946141806592
    Look, I want root as much as the next guy, but it's not happening this time. We gotta keep bugging LG/MetroPCS so the next time they release a phone it's unlockable! In my opinion root isn't as needed, although I'm missing some features like the ability to download Instagram photos, and some eye candy mods, not much is needed.

friend just hold on,developers are going to surprise u, cos we are working hard to provide solution for this...i just a matter of time; soon u can root, unlock your device, do /customize whatever you want, we never back down NBD
    I tried the RAMpage exploit on my device using Drammer. " github/vusec/drammer" Using the open source build but it just crashed the phone. So I spent the better part of last night modifying the open source project with some moderate success in getting to run but most attempts ended in crashes before completion of the cycle. So then I tried the Drammer.apk and instead of crashing the phone the app would just close out after it made a run. So at least it was doing something. I opened up the Drammer.apk and pulled out rh-test64 from the assets folder in the apk .

I pushed it
    Code:
    adb push rh-test64 /data/local/tmp
    Then I ran Chmod 755
    Code:
    adb shell
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rh-test64
    and I ran it
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
     ./rh-test64
    But that fails because it can't obtain contiguous memory.
    So I ran it with
    Code:
     ./rh-test64 -d6
    to free up some memory.
    and it finally works.
    However I haven't gotten a bit flip yet. But I just got this running. Not all devices are affected by it as it relies on defects in the ram chips to work. So even if I don't get a positive result someone else might.
    I'm currently running it like
    Code:
     ./rh-test64 -c2500000 -d6 -r10
    -c2500000 is supposed to give the most bitflips according to the drammer github

-c -d -r command line options with ./rh-test64 explained
    Code:
    Usage: ./rh-test64 [-a] [-A] [-c count] [-d seconds] [-f file] [-h] [-l seconds] [-r rounds] [-t timer]
       -a        : Run all pattern combinations
       -c count  : Number of memory accesses per hammer round (default is 1000000)
       -d seconds: Number of seconds to run defrag (default is disabled)
       -f base   : Write output to this file (basename)
       -h        : This help
       -l seconds: Log rotation (new log file) after this many seconds (default is 0 = disabled)
       -r rounds : Number of rounds to hammer all chunks (default 1)
       -t seconds: Number of seconds to hammer (default is to hammer everything)

Sorry that I couldn't link to the drammer github but I can't post links yet. Haven't been active on xda in a long time and can't remember my long in info.
    Also sorry for the terrible formatting of the post this has been a terribly long process of trying to get drammer to run as I originally was modifying the open source project little by little until I got the idea to look into the apk.
    Debloat Stylo 4....... no root

1.Enable USB debugging on you phone in dev settings
    2.Install adb
    3.Open adb
    4.Type adb devices(if you see your device on there you are good)
    5.Adb shell
    6.Now type "pm list packages"
    7.Select the app/package and type "pm uninstall -k --user 0 name of package”

Thanks to "Skunkser"
    Stylo 4 patched boot image

FYI, if anyone with a stylo 4 ever manages to get fastboot to flash images, here is a Magisk 18 patched boot image to flash to the boot partition.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603892765
    If you are able to flash this, it will give you root.
    fastboot flash boot st4patched_boot.img
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's likely, but just in case.