Get a new Nook Color Stock Charge Cable Free

Search This thread

iamdestruktor

Nov 16, 2011
NYC
I just stepped into a B&N and trying to get my free charger. No luck. I was told about the warranty information and was told if bought new, the warranty will be covered for 14 days or if I purchased an aadditional warranty, that would get it covered. I had neither of course but a two year warranty is only $34 and covers accidental damage too. I just thought that was not bad to mention here. I was also told to try and call customer service and see what I can do not tto mention that the B&N associate also randomly picked up a new charger and was getting ready to ring it up for me without confirming with me!

Sent via Tapatalk Pro on my *voided* HTC Evo running CM7

fedoramanjim

Apr 22, 2011
Gah, that sucks I got a cable from calling customer support and giving them my serial number (under the sd card flap) like only 3 months ago).They mailed me one no questions asked.

Last edited:

ch99tj

Oct 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx
I called over the weekend and since my NC was 2 months out of warrenty, they wouldn't do it. Bummed and the customer support had no sympathy.

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Since it's listed as a generic cable, I'd seriously doubt it's going to be the high current one.

My third cable literally fell apart today. The black microUSB section, with the light, came apart. Unfortunately, I only know where the section with the Nook logo light could be found. It's out of warranty too, so won't be getting a free cable that way. May have to see if I can salvage the plastic connector off an older cable I just happened to have laying around.

This cable is really lousy considering the quality of the tablet overall. Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket replacement some day. Is the Nook Tablet cable just as wonky??

Robert

There aren't any reviews? Is it really the high current version? How is build quality? Would rather get a few of these than deal with 3 more stock cables delaminating!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

basotl

Nov 30, 2010
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3
I went to my local B&N store and they gave me a Nook Tablet cable for my Nook Color. So far it has held up well while traveling in Afghanistan. It feels slightly better around the Nook symbol area. That's where my last one fell apart. I had used it for a month using tape to hold it together before I had a chance to get a new one back home. The rep gave me mine for free but that also might be due to mentioning where I was using it.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Imbroglio

Jun 18, 2011
I have been thinking that a simple design change for the cable would be: the extended micro usb plug, a short run of wire (about 1"?) then the lighted n module and finally the rest of the cable to the usb plug.

This should eliminate most if not all of the stress on the n module as there would be 2 flex points.

Something similar could be done if there is a such thing as a short extended micro usb patch cord that could be used in between the NC and the factory cord.

lorddunlow

Mar 17, 2011
So, B&N is starting to not be cool about replacing the chargers? I was going to call customer service tomorrow to get one replaced. Hopefully they'll do it. I got mine for Christmas, so 5 months out. I guess I'll see.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
I don't what you guys are doing to you cables, I had mine for 15 months now , ever an issue. You can buy the whole kit, car or home for $21 with this code T4T8J4A. If you are paranoid or rough with your stuff, put some heat shrink or other reinforcement at the cable junction

NCKevo

Jun 21, 2011
Calling the support line worked for me. Just a replacement on the cable itself, not the charger. I'm < 1 year from the date of purchase. I did not get the extended 2 yr warranty.

getontarget

Dec 11, 2010
Just called them after the cable actually fell into pieces on me after months of struggling with it. The didn't want to replace it since the warranty was over months ago, but I transferred to supervisor and they had no problem giving it. I just said that I recognized it was a bad charger, they recognized it's a bad charger, and other friends had the same problem and got replacements. Just wanted to update for those in the same situation.

monk1210

Oct 8, 2010
Just to share my experience from today: I used the customer service chat and after consulting with one of their reps, they're sending me a new cable. Had to give them my serial number (underside of the SD card cover). My NC was given to me as a gift last Xmas and was purchased from Best Buy and I did register it on the B&N website when I initially got it.

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
As you are within your one year warranty on the device, this would have been the correct policy. Just wait for it to be after December 25th and see what happens the next time you call them.

I gave up on trying to use Customer Service and went into a store with the intention of buying a new cable. However, the guy at the Nook Kiosk handed me one in a "plain plastic bag." I asked him how much it was since there was no SKU, and he said that their corporate office sent them some to replace any time someone comes in with a defective one.

Robert
-----------------------------------

Just to share my experience from today: I used the customer service chat and after consulting with one of their reps, they're sending me a new cable. Had to give them my serial number (underside of the SD card cover). My NC was given to me as a gift last Xmas and was purchased from Best Buy and I did register it on the B&N website when I initially got it.

RoboticBuddy

Aug 14, 2012

I tried getting a replacement cable through this method, but my warranty is already up, and I was not able to receive one.

SacTappingUni

Aug 4, 2012
Bothell WA.
goo.gl
I just walked into the B&N store, showed them my broken cable, and they handed me a new one for free without checking my warranty, which was long expired. That's some nice customer service ;)

If you don't get the cable the first time, try going to another store, or waiting 'til the person's shift is up who denied you your cable.

RoboticBuddy

Aug 14, 2012
I just walked into the B&N store, showed them my broken cable, and they handed me a new one for free without checking my warranty, which was long expired. That's some nice customer service ;)

If you don't get the cable the first time, try going to another store, or waiting 'til the person's shift is up who denied you your cable.

Do you think it'll work if i don't have the broken cable? My sister threw it out.. :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As many of you'll know by now the Nook Color stock cable tip break easily and a stock replacement is expensive. To top it off its the ONLY cable that will fast charge your Nook Color. Well I have some good news. After writing a bad review of the cable on their website after my second one bent which I had to pay $30 for since the cable wasn't available separately then. I talked to a Barnes and Noble worker and they gave me this number:

1.Call 1-800-The-Book and go digital products from the prompts then Nook Color.

You must have your serial number and the email you registered your Nook with. When you talk to a representative tell them you need a replacement cable for your Nook Color. After you give them your information they will ship you a new one completely free.

2. The fastest way is to go to or call your local Barnes & Noble and tell them you heard that if you bring a broken Nook Color cable in they could replace it for free.

Both methods worked for me but I'm 100% sure method one should work if and when you need a new cable.

Hope this helps everyone.
    Can a moderator please sticky this. A thanks push is appreciated also if the info helped you.
    For those of you on a custom rom and can't find your serial number, its also listed on the microSD slot flap...

Just for future reference though, is there a way to see your NC's serial number in settings on CM7?
    Has anyone outside from US received a free cable?
    Free Cable

Just thought I would share this. The tip broke off my charger cable. Then I read this thread. I took my nook and the broken cable to the local Barnes&Noble store and talked to the nook "girl". I said I heard a rumor that you guys could replace this for me for free. She said I have to check with my manager. She made a phone call and then said. Sure.. no problem and handed me a new one.

She didn't check warranty or serial number or anything.