[GUIDE] SIPdroid & Google Voice setup (updated 3-12-2010)

Search This thread

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009
The guides listed here are extremely dated.
Not all services mentioned allow new users, and some now require a subscription. Also, the process has been simplified greatly since the creation of these tutorials.

I recommend using an application such as Groove IP to connect directly to Gtalk rather than bounce the call all over the place to different SIP providers.

Trying to find a way to verify GV w/o a active U.S. phone number? This info will still work for that, but you have to use IPKall routed to PBXes extension w/ "info" as DTMF type on (pbxes extension) settings.

Planning to do something more interesting like route multiple gv#s to one place? Than the info might still be useful to you, but only as a point of reference.

These instructions will explain how to get Sipdroid and Google Voice set up so you can use your Android phone with only WiFi or 3g/Edge (no cellular minutes). It also provides a solution to get Google Voice accounts validated for people who lack a US phone number.

Alright I guess these guides were a little more popular than expected. Kept exceeding bandwidth limits for the images, so I had to move 'em.

If you would like to view the original guides please visit my blog

Last edited:

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
These instructions will explain how to get Sipdroid and Google Voice set up so you can use your Android phone with only WIFI or 3g/Edge. It also provides a solution to get Google Voice accounts validated for people who lack a US phome number.

While I didn't personally use the method myself, a post on the Google Voice discussion forum said you can perform your verification call on a Gizmo number (receive it by logging into the flash client at gizmo5.com)

The first time I set up an ipkall DID, it took a week. Kind of annoying.

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009
Due to bandwidth limits causing the images to go down, I have moved the guides.

Last edited:

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Huh? I tried to use Gizmo to confirm my wife's account a couple weeks ago, and Google Voice said a Landline or Mobile had to be used as the primary forwarding number. If they have in fact changed their policy regarding this, its great news for international users. Maybe someone with a fresh account would be kind enough to give it a try and bless us with the results. Either way thanks for the info.
Well, I read that information roughly a month ago so it could have been changed. On Gizmo's gizmovoice.com page, they state that a user can buy a 6-month DID number to accept the GV confirmation call, so I guess its probable that a Gizmo number cannot be used for confirmation.

It's a shame it took so long for ipkall to get back to you. It usually does take a day or two, but a week is awful. Then again waiting 6-8 months for a Google Voice invite is a tad bit more irritating (but still well worth it) :D
Well it was before I even got my GV invite, mainly just as experimentation for getting my SIP setup. Free is free, so I wasn't really concerned.

By the way, I have updated the Sipdroid primer a little. Might make some more tweaks/update the sample pics later.

Crymson

Apr 24, 2008
This is a great tutorial! I'm currently using just the gizmo5 + GV setup, what are the advantages to your way? I am assuming the 3 minute outgoing call limit is gone, but is there anything else?

My #1 complaint with the gizmo5 + GV method (and this may be Sipdroid's fault) is that it seems if I don't make or recieve a call for a few hours... maybe a day... then sipdroid sort of times out, disconnects, and I miss calls even though sipdroid still shows the green connected light. I'm just curious if getting away from gizmo5 would fix this? Thanks!

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009
This is a great tutorial! I'm currently using just the gizmo5 + GV setup, what are the advantages to your way? I am assuming the 3 minute outgoing call limit is gone, but is there anything else?

My #1 complaint with the gizmo5 + GV method (and this may be Sipdroid's fault) is that it seems if I don't make or recieve a call for a few hours... maybe a day... then sipdroid sort of times out, disconnects, and I miss calls even though sipdroid still shows the green connected light. I'm just curious if getting away from gizmo5 would fix this? Thanks!

Thank you, and yes you are correct about the 3 minute limit, but you don't have to leave gizmo for that. Just set GV as default dialer and set call method to Call-Back in GV (Be sure to set gizmo # as callback in GV app). Other than that Gizmo5 charged for callerID at the time I set mine up, and I had alot of choppy calls when using them (even using X-Ten and Ekiga from pc). Also Google Voice did not (and I'm not sure if they do yet) allow a Gizmo # to be default forward. Using IPkall gives you a true US # which can be set as default and used to validate g.v. account. People who don't have a US # couldn't even forward to Gizmo until a default US land or mobile number was set.

As far as missed calls and sipdroid timing out, I believe it depends on how you are connecting. I haven't had any trouble with such issues while on 3g. In fact I use this as my only method of calling, and dropped down to just the data plan with my carrier. Before we got 3g where I live I would have similar problems on EDGE and WIFI networks. Try setting the minimum signal strength lower for the networks you will be using under advanced settings on sipdroid. Also be sure to use TCP rather than UDP. Required refresh time is alot longer with TCP and you will not get as many time-outs.

Another thing is it may very well be gizmo5 causing the timeout issue. I did miss a few calls and got alot more disconnects while I was testing to see if I could cut out a few legs of my forwarding scheme. Figured it would cut back on a little latancy, but It gave me issues so I switched back. Though Sipdroid supports any sip provider that uses the proper codecs, it is really designed to work well with PBXes. I have tried it with 4-5 providers and none worked as well as PBXes. Even gizmo5 worked better through PBXes than directly connecting from sipdroid.

maleman876

Feb 27, 2009
ive gotten this setup correctly (i think), but i cannot get the pbxes->sipdroid part working.

if i call my ipkall number, i see the call register in sip2sip, and i see it in the history in pbxes.

sipdroid connects to pbxes fine, and the extension shows up as active. the call just never makes it to sipdroid :(

if i call from sipdroid OUT, i get a message that says please try again later and hangs up

tuppaacc

Mar 5, 2008
ive gotten this setup correctly (i think), but i cannot get the pbxes->sipdroid part working.

if i call my ipkall number, i see the call register in sip2sip, and i see it in the history in pbxes.

sipdroid connects to pbxes fine, and the extension shows up as active. the call just never makes it to sipdroid :(

if i call from sipdroid OUT, i get a message that says please try again later and hangs up

I too get this same error my phone wont ring and then I recive an email that says i got a voice mail!!??

how to fix ths pls!!

(NEVERMIND I GOT IT WORKING NOW!!!!)

Last edited:

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009

There may be a problem with inbound routing settings. One thing you could try would be to skip sip2sip by forwarding ipkall directly to your pbxes extension. There are instructions on how to do this at pbxes. It works quite well. I will add this to the guide soon. I've just been a little busy lately.

There are quite a few things that could cause this.

What type of call are you trying to make? (are you calling another sip# or a pstn#)
Which sip provider do you use for outbound calls?
Is your outbound route configured properly at pbxes?

I just let GV handle the outbound calls with callback. I have a sipdiscount account configured for outbound, but I don't really use it much. That's why I didn't cover it in the guide. I'll help as much as I can, but you might also want to check out the Sipdroid Primer. It explains alot about using sipdroid to place calls.

divinicus

Sep 13, 2009
Sipdroid+Gizmo+GV on Android

Hello,

First, thanks for your hard work enabling GV to work on an Android phone, like my unlocked G1 Dev Phone on AT&T EDGE in NYC.

I tried a different route, using Gizmo, Sipdroid, and GV. I set up GV to "use Google Voice for all calls", "call back" method, and WIFI and EDGE for connecting.

It all works just fine, calls to Canada are crystal clear, even away from WIFI on EDGE.

However, I just got my first wireless bill for this DATA ONLY phone (formerly a Blackberry), and was shocked that a 23-minute call to Canada cost me $16.00!

What happened?

Will your method fix the "free" nature of this system, is Gizmo the culprit here?

Please define how I should set up my data-only G1 to work properly with SIP, or do I just undo all the settings for Gizmo, and use the procedures you advise in your post?

Thank you!

B-man007

Jun 12, 2009
Dallas
if you use google voice....your not talking over the net...your talking over your cell line.

These instructions will explain how to get Sipdroid and Google Voice set up so you can use your Android phone with only WIFI or 3g/Edge. It also provides a solution to get Google Voice accounts validated for people who lack a US phome number.

so...follow the instructions :p

Last edited:

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009
However, I just got my first wireless bill for this DATA ONLY phone (formerly a Blackberry), and was shocked that a 23-minute call to Canada cost me $16.00!

What happened?

Thank you!
Sounds like your google voice also forwarded to your cell number. Make sure it's unchecked on their website under settings > phones. That would also explain why you got perfect calls even away from wifi/edge. You can be sure sipdroid is being used by the color of the call display. If it's a more blueish green it's a sip call. Regular green is cellular network.

ThR1LL

Apr 8, 2009
Houston, TX
OK guys sorry for the complete noobness ahead of time but I have no idea how this stuff works but I'm very interested in it. First of all my scenario is I'm going to be moving to the Philippines for nursing school next year and I want to keep in touch with my family while taking my unlocked G1 with me. I have a Google Voice number and a Gizmo5 account. I saw on the Gizmo5 site that I can't make calls for free but I can receive calls and talk as long as I like for free, I think... Say I'm receiving a call from the US when I'm in the Philippines and I answer. Are they dialing my SIP number or my GV number? And if they're calling my GV number are they being charged for standard domestic calling since it's a Houston #? Basically what I'm looking for is to use my Google Voice number and Gizmo5 account to talk to my family here for free while I'm in the Philippines without them being charged for long distance calls.

jackslim

Sep 8, 2009
Worcester, MA
OK guys sorry for the complete noobness ahead of time but I have no idea how this stuff works but I'm very interested in it. First of all my scenario is I'm going to be moving to the Philippines for nursing school next year and I want to keep in touch with my family while taking my unlocked G1 with me. I have a Google Voice number and a Gizmo5 account. I saw on the Gizmo5 site that I can't make calls for free but I can receive calls and talk as long as I like for free, I think... Say I'm receiving a call from the US when I'm in the Philippines and I answer. Are they dialing my SIP number or my GV number? And if they're calling my GV number are they being charged for standard domestic calling since it's a Houston #? Basically what I'm looking for is to use my Google Voice number and Gizmo5 account to talk to my family here for free while I'm in the Philippines without them being charged for long distance calls.

I set sipdroid up using gizmo5 and here's what I did

verify your gizmo through google voice then set google voice to forward incoming calls to your gizmo number

On the gizmo website you can set your google phone number as the outgoing ptsn just use the google voice tab and enter your gv # now all outgoing calls are free to any US #

Now setup your siddroid info username/password is gizmo username or phone # and your password

set your server to proxy01.sipphone.com

leave domain empty

port =5060

protocol = udp

and your done, now your friends, family can call your local number and it will forward all your calls to your phone anywhere with a internet connection and you can also make calls to any US number for free using the same connection

hallevison

Oct 19, 2009
Boulder, CO
Hi:

Can I get back to using ipkall and pbxes in combo? It is not clear how to set this up. What exactly should I put in the 'SIP Phone Number' and 'SIP Proxy" fields?

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009
Hi:

Can I get back to using ipkall and pbxes in combo? It is not clear how to set this up. What exactly should I put in the 'SIP Phone Number' and 'SIP Proxy" fields?

Your sip phone number would be your pbxes extension
Example: gurnted-200

Sip Proxy would be: pbxes.com (.org works too but not as well)

On the gizmo website you can set your google phone number as the outgoing ptsn just use the google voice tab and enter your gv # now all outgoing calls are free to any US #
Does the time limit no longer apply for Gizmo outgoing? I stopped using them when I got 2 days of choppy calls (both on sipdroid and pc softphone) and havn't been back since. Have they changed it so out calls through Google Voice are unlimited? Also it uses udp which needs to refresh 10x as often. The developer of sipdroid says this causes excessive battery drain. How well is it working for you?

Last edited:

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009
if you use gv....your not talking over the net...your talking over your cell line.
To clarify. If you use the "Google Voice" app developed by Google you are indeed using your cell line. However, if one uses the "GV" app developed by Evan Charlton you are able to set callback number to whatever you choose. By choosing IPKall # as callback and forwarding it to a sip account, calls are made over the net/data plan through Sipdroid.