[ROM][SGH-S730M] Stock deodexed + rooted + overclocked

Search This thread

andronald2

Mar 26, 2014
Sorry guys, I had to leave for a while.

I don't know how many of you remember the XDA member andronald, but I am the same member. I had to leave XDA because a lot of stuff was going wrong in my life, and I needed to step back from all of my commitments for while to get myself back into a workable state of mind.

I am happy to report that I am attempting to make a port of KitKat (Android 4.4) to the SGH-S730M. I know a lot more than I used to about Linux, but may need some help doing this. My main concern is making a kernel that supports the Samsung Galaxy Discover, and also the newest version of Android. Any help or pointers would be really appreciated, and if you know anything about porting newer versions of android to older devices, or kernel development please PM me!!!!!

I really want to see some development for this device. Yah, its specs aren't that great, but this phone is perfectly sized to suit my needs. Its cheap, efficient, and usually reliable (except for battery life, which I think a new Kernel could fix).

Though I might buy myself a nexus 5 someday, I hope to see this device get somewhere first. If I had another phone, I could sepend more dev time on the 730M.

Thanks, andronald - Ronald Buckingham

orangeworx

Nov 8, 2007
Montreal,QC
still trying to mess with this phone... am glad these threads aren't actually closed

i got a couple of 730Ms one's with stock recovery, one with CWM... tried to flash the root files (Root-SGH-S730M.zip) but was getting installation aborted with status code 255

any info? should i try flashing one of the 3 ROMs posted a few posts back?

djparent

Jan 3, 2010
Saskatoon
Is anybody still working on this? I'd be happy to test any new ROMs and help where I can. I'm new to linux but gotta start somewhere. It'd be great to even see a CM10 rom for this if KK won't port. :)

DelphinusMinor

I searched all over and can't find anything. Is there a KK or Lollipop rom for this phone? I know KK may actually run pretty good on this phone since KK is optimized for 512MB of mem.

I am currently running dr_evil-v1 on it. The rom itself is OC'd to 1ghz. It's a very nice rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a DEV thread, this is not yet working

This is a stock ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Discover SGH-S730M in flashable zip format. This ROM has exactly 4 modifications; it's rooted, it's deodexed, it's overclocked to 1 ghz, and it has busybox installed. Other than that this ROM is completely stock. Even so, I welcome you to the first available ROM for the samsung galaxy discover to my knowledge. Hopefully this will encourage others to make their own custom ROMs for this device, as this ROM is now here as a base for anyone who wants to use it. Flashing instructions and download link below.

Instructions:
    1. reboot into cwm / twrp, whichever you use
    2. full wipe (do not come with issues if you dirty flashed)
    3. install zip.
    4. Enjoy!

Download link:
    Stock deodexed + rooted + overclocked
    Hi, i get it too, and same error. I used CWM 6.0.3.1

What we can do it for help you and stabilize ROM ?

I'm definitely interested in developing a custom ROM for this phone. I bought this phone nearly two years ago, and although I have since upgraded, I seem to always have use it as a back up when my t989 has issues. I know there is a ton of demand for a custom ROM for this phone. I was reading a bunch about META-INF folders and Android kitchen for developing a ROM without having a current base to work with. I'll look into it a bunch more throughout the week, this weekend etc. See if I can get a flashable zip after deodexing and overclocking using the thread the OP of this one used. I read on another forum, after googling "cwm status 255" that this has to do with the updated-binary file in the META-INF folder. The suggestion that worked for the op of that thread was to take the updated-binary file from another flashable zip (for the same phone) and use it to replace the updated-binary file in the zip giving the 255 error. So I took the file from the deodexing zip for this phone and replaced it, not expecting it work, but just to see. Cwm no longer gives the 255 code, but still aborts the installation, with no code given. So it seems this very well could be a start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
    Sorry guys, I had to leave for a while.

I don't know how many of you remember the XDA member andronald, but I am the same member. I had to leave XDA because a lot of stuff was going wrong in my life, and I needed to step back from all of my commitments for while to get myself back into a workable state of mind.

I am happy to report that I am attempting to make a port of KitKat (Android 4.4) to the SGH-S730M. I know a lot more than I used to about Linux, but may need some help doing this. My main concern is making a kernel that supports the Samsung Galaxy Discover, and also the newest version of Android. Any help or pointers would be really appreciated, and if you know anything about porting newer versions of android to older devices, or kernel development please PM me!!!!!

I really want to see some development for this device. Yah, its specs aren't that great, but this phone is perfectly sized to suit my needs. Its cheap, efficient, and usually reliable (except for battery life, which I think a new Kernel could fix).

Though I might buy myself a nexus 5 someday, I hope to see this device get somewhere first. If I had another phone, I could sepend more dev time on the 730M.

Thanks, andronald - Ronald Buckingham
    do you know if the boot image successfully flashed? if so I might have the partition table wrong for system.
    if boot flashed successfully you should be able to set your cpu to 1000 mhz

I pulled the recovery log using adb, and according to the log, the boot.img flashed. But I'll have to check the phone tmrw. Because it said it completed, I believed it, so to be sure I formatted the system folder and data/cache, re flashed, and nothing installed. Your partition table is right tho. Mmcblk0p8 for boot, p16 for system and p18 for data, it's all what it should be. I'll restore my stock cwm back up tmrw, re flash the zip and see if I can set the clock to 1000mhz. If you want, I'll pull as much info I can from the phone partition table, and pm you. To me it's a mystery as to why it won't boot. I'll send the error log and whatever I can gather as well. If I don't get around to it tmrw, it'll be Thursday night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    the more information you can get me the better, thanks a ton for the help

You should consider putting a note on the OP, just saying this is not working yet.

Here's what I pulled from recovery.log. This is after I swapped out the update-binary for one from another phone running the same CPU, then rebuilt it. Nothing else was changed. According to what happens during flash in recovery, you would expect it to have worked. Except it doesn't, the log will probably tell you why. Before I flash I wiped system and data/cache, your script starts after the ADB Sideload. Parition table is included at top. I've tried running it with a few other updater-scripts from other ROM's written a bit differently, and just changed the partition table to match the phone, but same end result. Flash completes without errors, but nothing actually installs.

atmu5fear

Text wouldn't fit so I've just attached the log file. If using linux, text editor should organize it clearly enough, if windows, notepad++
    (UNZIP FIRST, .log files are invalid format for attaching to xda)