[ROM][7.1.2_r24][Grouper|Tilapia][8July2017]CarbonROM CR-5.1 Unofficial

Search This thread

daniel_hk

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Realme X2

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project.
Click the logo to visit the official site and Features

After trying a number of custom ROMs, I decided to bring up the CarbonROM again. Almost everything is working now. The essential feaures and the CarbonFibers are also implemented. You might not like the navigation bar's arrangement but there is the "System UI tuner" to customize the look. The official features page is old and there are still more for us to explore.
It's for now the best N for my daily use. I had built Carbon before and it's good to be Carbonized again. Cheers :D

Screenshots: :cowboy:
Screenshot_20160928-185243.png Screenshot_20160927-110922.png Screenshot_20160927-005829.jpg Screenshot_20160928-185618.png Screenshot_20160928-185407.png

Known Issues: :(
 1. Video recording not saved
 2. Some apps might not fully compatible or required update.
 3. Please report.

Change log: :)
Code:
[B][URL="http://carbonrom.org/changelog/"]Official Change log[/URL][/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Device specific:[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]2017/7/8[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.2_r24 (NJH47D)
 - PerformanceControl: Freezer list update and bug fixes.
 - security patch update
[COLOR="Blue"]2017/6/10[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.2_r17 (NJH47B)
 - Default to Carbon Browser
 - security patch update
[COLOR="Blue"]2017/5/14[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.2_r8 (N2G47O)
 - Fix a bug in wifi scan: "Other APs not shown after connected."
 - Launcher3: fix the nav. bar in landscape mode
 - Hotspot: fixed
 - sepolicy: add extra policy for 7.1.2
[COLOR="Blue"]2017/4/28[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.2_r2 (NOG47E)
 - Snap as Camera app
 - PerformanceControl: settings can be restored at boot now
 - Fine tune to increase available memory
 - kernel: minor bug fix and patches
 - remove some unnecessary Nvos log.
[COLOR="Blue"]2017/3/9[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.1_r25 (NOF27B)
 - Use block mode to speed up flashing
[COLOR="Blue"]2017/2/10[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.1_r21 (NOF26W)
 - camera: revert to cameraserver
 - kernel: fix a bug in i2c
[COLOR="Blue"]2017/1/10[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.1_r9 (NMF26V)
 - camera: Fix save location
 - camera: Fix video recording
 - kernel: update the pre-built kernel
[COLOR="Blue"]2016/12/19[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.1_r6 (NMF26Q)
 - re-enable JAR compression
 - SEPolicy: patches for new platform
[COLOR="Blue"]2016/12/8[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.1_r4 (NMF26O)
 - Camera: simplified the camera fix from CM
 - SEPolicy: patches for glgps
[COLOR="Blue"]2016/10/23[/COLOR]
 - Latest Android-7.1.0_r4 (NDE63P)
 - Webview: Update to 5.2
 - Gradle-plugin: Update to 2.2
 - SEPolicy: extra permissions for cppreopts & otapreopts
[COLOR="Blue"]2016/10/11[/COLOR]
 - Android-7.0.0_r14 (NBD90Z)
 - MtpDocumentsProvider: Shield the occasional crash when accessing the Document interface
 - Enable USB and Bluetooth tethering in Tilapia
[COLOR="Blue"]2016/10/4[/COLOR]
 - Android-7.0.0_r6 (NRD90U)
 - Kernel: DT2W: a more reliable approach
 - Kernel: DT2W: Resume power state after a deep sleep
 - Healthd: Fix the BatteryStatsService, battery icon shown in QS now
 - Healthd: Fix the detection of Charging source
[COLOR="Blue"]2016/9/28[/COLOR]
 - latest DC kernel (Android-7.0 branch)
 - PerformanceControl: version 2.1.6 which does not require busybox
 - SELinux: Enforcing
 - Fix the default N wallpaper, no more blank screen

Downloads: :highfive:
 Hosts: Android File Host MEGA mirror: 百度网盘
 ***Having problem upload to Dev-Host lately, try other host first***
 Note: flash with the Latest TWRP. ver. 3.0.1 & 3.0.2 are tested.
     PerformanceControl app requires ROOT access.
     Root access can be obtained by the systemless SuperSU from @Chainfire. ver. 2.76 & 2.78 are tested
 Gapps: opengapps (pico) and BaNKs Gapps for 7.0 are tested

Sources: :cool:
 The CarbonROM on GitHub
 Kernel and device trees on my GitHub

Credits: :good:
 ** The CarbonROM team
 ** The AOSP
 ** The AndroidFielHost provide a FREE host with no limits and expiration.
 ** dev-host gave me the unlimited storage. Thanks!
 ** All the developers who help the Nexus 7 (2012) development
 ** All those who donate and/or help the developers. Giving us the resources and reason to carry on.

Donations: :angel:

2m8C9z7xQ5_src.png

show.htm

Last edited:

DonSanches

Jul 18, 2016
Dear daniel_hk, I just tried to install it and the first thing I discovered is, I cannot turn on USB modem. Do you know of any other ROM for Tilapia (maybe even preferably Marshmallow) which permits to do it? Or maybe you will fix it in this one at some moment?

daniel_hk

Nov 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Realme X2
Dear daniel_hk, I just tried to install it and the first thing I discovered is, I cannot turn on USB modem. Do you know of any other ROM for Tilapia (maybe even preferably Marshmallow) which permits to do it? Or maybe you will fix it in this one at some moment?

I assume you meant the USB modem which connect to a land line. If not, that means I don't think I may help.
First of all, you need a kernel that support your modem's chip. That is the (Linux) driver of the particular modem you have. All available kernels for our N7 are derived from the one Google released. It might be included as a standard Linux driver in the source but I don't recall anything like that. I can't see anything to "fix".
Since you have your USB modem in hand, only you know what you have. You may try to port it yourself and share. ;)
Hey,

I want to install this rom but i don't undersatnd how to have the root. Do you have a link ?
Here is the development forum which is for those have some experience. I think you're new to these. You would know if you have some experience. It is irresponsible just giving you the link. You might soft brick your device if you don't do it right.
If you are really sure and confidence, you may get the latest SuperSU under the superSU threads here in xda-developers.com.
You better do your homework and read first. There is no free lunch, rush for results won't necessarily speed up the process. Asking for link is a kind of laziness. If you brick it, how many blames to the others won't help.
Good luck. :)

DonSanches

Jul 18, 2016
Dear daniel_hk, thanks very much for the fast reply! No, I actually mean the USB tethering, the thing in the same menu as Wi-Fi hotspot. The latter seems to be working, at least it does get turned on. And the USB tethering does not. So is there any way to get around it? Actually I would more willingly use the Slim6 ROM but I encountered the same problem there...

daniel_hk

Nov 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Realme X2
Dear daniel_hk, thanks very much for the fast reply! No, I actually mean the USB tethering, the thing in the same menu as Wi-Fi hotspot. The latter seems to be working, at least it does get turned on. And the USB tethering does not. So is there any way to get around it? Actually I would more willingly use the Slim6 ROM but I encountered the same problem there...

OK, got it now. I'll take a look later.

Misunderstanding could easily lead to a heated argument. I'd been called names because I didn't know "Menu" refer to App drawer. Sometimes I'm just too stupid to know what the question mean.:D A little bit more explanation or just a screenshot with captions might clear things up...:)

"In a heated argument we are apt to lose sight of the truth." - Publilius Syrus

Edit: @DonSanches I just checked, USB tethering was never implemented in AOSP for Tilapia. I don't know if any existing ROM had implemented it. I just tried and managed to make it work. I'll include it and Bluetooth tethering (haven't tested yet) to the later builds (including Slim6 and others). Cheers! :)

Umm... Flashing gapps just brings it to a crawl. Will flash afresh. @daniel_hk have you incorporated the new omx fix? Have not tested any video playback yet

This is for sure. I usually update all the branches at the same time. ;)

Last edited:

DonSanches

Jul 18, 2016
Edit: @DonSanches I just checked, USB tethering was never implemented in AOSP for Tilapia. I don't know if any existing ROM had implemented it. I just tried and managed to make it work. I'll include it and Bluetooth tethering (haven't tested yet) to the later builds (including Slim6 and others). Cheers! :)
OMG, this is so cool to know! If you knew how much time I wasted in fruitless searches! Thank you for resolving the mystery for me (I actually started to suspect something like that). Looking forward to that update! :)

swiftyste

Mar 10, 2015
Manchester - United Kingdom
great rom very smooth.

but the battery does NOT charge while the screen is on.
it decreases and while the screen is off seems to charge really slowly

apart from that a great rom keep up the good work

daniel_hk

Nov 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Realme X2
ok bug report.. tablet charging is extremely slow, in fact i have to charge it while its off. any stop gap solution for this?
as always file transfer through share it doesnt work. but this has been same with all 3.1.x kernels.

great rom very smooth.

but the battery does NOT charge while the screen is on.
it decreases and while the screen is off seems to charge really slowly

apart from that a great rom keep up the good work

It is not kernel related. If you check the log, you would find that the batterystats service is unavailable.
In M, I used a custom HAL service to turn on the polling of battery status. N added the charge current fields which are not yet handled and the service fail. The charge current might limit to standard USB now. I already fixed that. :D
When porting the kernel to N, I found the android_alarm interface. Which might turn on a switched off device (may be schedule ON/OFF too). This interface is also handled in the same HAL as batterystats. I was playing with it and I haven't removed it. Hoping I might keep both later. ;)

It is not kernel related. If you check the log, you would find that the batterystats service is unavailable.
In M, I used a custom HAL service to turn on the polling of battery status. N added the charge current fields which are not yet handled and the service fail. The charge current might limit to standard USB now. I already fixed that. :D
When porting the kernel to N, I found the android_alarm interface. Which might turn on a switched off device (may be schedule ON/OFF too). This interface is also handled in the same HAL as batterystats. I was playing with it and I haven't removed it. Hoping I might keep both later. ;)
Man that is fast! I am in love with smoothness of this ROM. I hope next update is carbon only. Well maybe every other rom be as smooth with your hard work :D
Edit: @daniel_hk would you be kind enough to provide a patch for charging issue? using as a car tablet is a tad difficult because of this.

Last edited:

daniel_hk

Nov 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Realme X2
Since Carbon is comparatively complete, I keep it up to date first. ;)
20161004 release is out now.
Change log:

Change log:

Great Stuff!

Atari-San

Jun 23, 2013
Can you consider it stable has a daily driver ? Might give it a go but i just finished customizing my 6.0.1 setup. Do it support CM compatible theme ? I might also need to wait for my theme to get update...

scorpio8120

Dec 29, 2013
Amazing Rom

This rom is amazing I use my nexus 7 in my car as my infotainment system and this rom is super smooth, I got a quick charge in my car and everything is good. I still can't get a GPS fix though, tried everything, re-flashed the rom, tried a couple of GPS calibration apps; no luck. If you can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for this rom

daniel_hk

Nov 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Realme X2
Can you consider it stable has a daily driver ? Might give it a go but i just finished customizing my 6.0.1 setup. Do it support CM compatible theme ? I might also need to wait for my theme to get update...
It's my daily driver now but it doesn't have theme yet. DU-11 have theme but its still early. If its your daily driver, I think you may play with your 6.0.1 for a while. ;)

This rom is amazing I use my nexus 7 in my car as my infotainment system and this rom is super smooth, I got a quick charge in my car and everything is good. I still can't get a GPS fix though, tried everything, re-flashed the rom, tried a couple of GPS calibration apps; no luck. If you can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for this rom

I have a Tilapia. I can't access the Google services locally so I can't use apks like Google Map. Here are some of the apks I tried.
Screenshot_20161005-105512.png Screenshot_20161005-110050.png
A compass apk and a navigation apk. I was facing north in the balcony so only the northern sat. can be locked. Anyway, it's working fine for me.

I was using GPS Status since my first Android device. But, its compass seems not working in my Tilapia and the MTK devices. It's background process would retard the system for a while. Those Qualcomm devices are OK. I think its blob related. I just pick those working apks on my Tilapia now.
Should I had put a wrong blob to Grouper, the log would show some errors on GPS. If you found something, you may include the log here for us the study.
Good luck!

Last edited:

its actually pretty stable and fast (yes.. first ROM that feels smooth).
GPS does seem wonky but then i have not tried much.
@daniel_hk charging still seems slow as screen plus charging still drains the battery, but is better than before and does correctly register as charging from AC and screen off charging works (although slow). i am using a 2amp charger.

Nh3xus

Mar 11, 2015
First of all, it's a great ROM. :)

Bug report :
#1 : Google Maps is really slow and unusable with the September build of the ROM.
#2 : MTP process is crashing every once in a while.

I have a Grouper device. without SuperSU.

I don't know why though.

Maybe the CPU of the tablet isn't beefy enough for the newest versions of G Maps...

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: daniel_hk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project.
    Click the logo to visit the official site and Features

After trying a number of custom ROMs, I decided to bring up the CarbonROM again. Almost everything is working now. The essential feaures and the CarbonFibers are also implemented. You might not like the navigation bar's arrangement but there is the "System UI tuner" to customize the look. The official features page is old and there are still more for us to explore.
    It's for now the best N for my daily use. I had built Carbon before and it's good to be Carbonized again. Cheers :D

Screenshots: :cowboy:
    Screenshot_20160928-185243.png Screenshot_20160927-110922.png Screenshot_20160927-005829.jpg Screenshot_20160928-185618.png Screenshot_20160928-185407.png

Known Issues: :(
     1. Video recording not saved
     2. Some apps might not fully compatible or required update.
     3. Please report.

Change log: :)
    Code:
    [B][URL="http://carbonrom.org/changelog/"]Official Change log[/URL][/B]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Device specific:[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]2017/7/8[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.2_r24 (NJH47D)
     - PerformanceControl: Freezer list update and bug fixes.
     - security patch update
    [COLOR="Blue"]2017/6/10[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.2_r17 (NJH47B)
     - Default to Carbon Browser
     - security patch update
    [COLOR="Blue"]2017/5/14[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.2_r8 (N2G47O)
     - Fix a bug in wifi scan: "Other APs not shown after connected."
     - Launcher3: fix the nav. bar in landscape mode
     - Hotspot: fixed
    [COLOR="Blue"]2017/4/28[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.2_r2 (NOG47E)
     - Snap as Camera app
     - PerformanceControl: settings can be restored at boot now
     - Fine tune to increase available memory
     - kernel: minor bug fix and patches
     - remove some unnecessary Nvos log.
    [COLOR="Blue"]2017/3/9[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.1_r25 (NOF27B)
     - Use block mode to speed up flashing
    [COLOR="Blue"]2017/2/10[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.1_r21 (NOF26W)
     - camera: revert to cameraserver
     - kernel: fix a bug in i2c
    [COLOR="Blue"]2017/1/10[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.1_r9 (NMF26V)
     - camera: Fix save location
     - camera: Fix video recording
     - kernel: update the pre-built kernel
    [COLOR="Blue"]2016/12/19[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.1_r6 (NMF26Q)
     - re-enable JAR compression
     - SEPolicy: patches for new platform
    [COLOR="Blue"]2016/12/8[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.1_r4 (NMF26O)
     - Camera: simplified the camera fix from CM
     - SEPolicy: patches for glgps
    [COLOR="Blue"]2016/10/23[/COLOR]
     - Latest Android-7.1.0_r4 (NDE63P)
     - Webview: Update to 5.2
     - Gradle-plugin: Update to 2.2
     - SEPolicy: extra permissions for cppreopts & otapreopts
    [COLOR="Blue"]2016/10/11[/COLOR]
     - Android-7.0.0_r14 (NBD90Z)
     - MtpDocumentsProvider: Shield the occasional crash when accessing the Document interface
     - Enable USB and Bluetooth tethering in Tilapia
    [COLOR="Blue"]2016/10/4[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]2016/9/28[/COLOR]
     - latest DC kernel (Android-7.0 branch)
     - PerformanceControl: version 2.1.6 which does not require busybox
     - SELinux: Enforcing
     - Fix the default N wallpaper, no more blank screen

Downloads: :highfive:
     Hosts: Android File Host MEGA mirror: 百度网盘
     ***Having problem upload to Dev-Host lately, try other host first***
     Note: flash with the Latest TWRP. ver. 3.0.1 & 3.0.2 are tested.
         PerformanceControl app requires ROOT access.
         Root access can be obtained by the systemless SuperSU from @Chainfire. ver. 2.76 & 2.78 are tested
     Gapps: opengapps (pico) and BaNKs Gapps for 7.0 are tested

Sources: :cool:
     The CarbonROM on GitHub
     Kernel and device trees on my GitHub

Credits: :good:
     ** The CarbonROM team
     ** The AOSP
     ** The AndroidFielHost provide a FREE host with no limits and expiration.
     ** dev-host gave me the unlimited storage. Thanks!
     ** All the developers who help the Nexus 7 (2012) development
     ** All those who donate and/or help the developers. Giving us the resources and reason to carry on.

Donations: :angel:

2m8C9z7xQ5_src.png

show.htm
    The latest Carbon CR-5.1 Android 7.1.0_r4 (NDE63P) is out!
    Carbon got a new code name for CR5.1 - Carbon MOO, cheers! :D
    Long time since I used this tablet but this rom made me want to revive my grouper. Is the rom f2fs compatible or I should revert back to ext4 ?

Sure. /data and /cache support f2fs.

The new Carbon CR-5.0 (7.0.0_r14) are uploading now. Cheers! :D
    In this build, the MTP Crash is shielded.
    Tilapia supports USB and Bluetooth tethering now.
    Latest CR-5.1 Android-7.1.1_r6 (NMF26Q) is out. ;)
    Change log: