I Need Different Lenses for my Glasses

Search This thread

Dr. Hax

Dec 19, 2010
Virginia Beach
Yes, I'm quite aware this is off-topic... even for off-topic xD, but in all glasses forums I've found online, there's just no activity going on -.-

I'm nearly 17, and I wear fairly high-prescription glasses. I hate the lenses. It is becoming nearly painful to look at things now!

Things are clear and sharp. No complaints there, I'm complaining about the type of lens! I'm forced to use the horrible polycarbonate lenses because I'm under 18? I want CR-39 (plastic) lenses because the visual quality is MUCH better. On poly lenses, on the edges, there's significant color distortion.
I requested plastic lenses and the lady was asking me why as if it was the most far-fetched thing she had ever heard, and I explained fairly clearly why I want them instead. Then she was all "Ok, but plastic lenses are gonna be about twice as thick" I stopped her there and said "Honestly, I could care less about that. I take pictures and view 2 fairly large computer screens for a good portion of my day, every day. I have a wide view area, and I'd appreciate no color distortion for the minute 'con' of being thicker. I really don't think anyone else will care either."
she had this look on her face like I had just explained to an iPhone fanatic how the Galaxy Nexus pwns it. And she finally says "Well... umm... our policy is that anyone under 18 HAS to have polycarbonate lenses because they're shatterproof."

It was so difficult to say "Oh... Thanks anyway...." but I did without even sounding rude -.-
she seriously wasted my time to hear me explain, only to tell me I have no choice? and what kind of bs reason is they're shatterproof? Who cares? Plastic isn't going to ruin my eyes when they break from an impact unless it's an impact that would cause it to break in a similar matter to glass. I don't play sports, so polycarbonate lenses makes no sense.
On top of it all, plastic lenses are MUCH cheaper. Better visual quality and cheaper.

What do I do? I've had these glasses for about a month now and had the lenses changed today because my prescription was off. what are my options? I can't do contacts because they're expensive and I have astigmatism. There must be something I can do.

If you're in the USA you could try Costco for contacts. They're loads cheaper there. I only buy 1 box of each prescription at a time, then use the lenses until they wear out. I take them out each night and clean them with a solution called Clear Care. If you want to go that route I recommend the AirOptix lenses. In the long run, it's been cheaper than glasses.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA

TheSkinnyDrummer

Feb 12, 2012
Fallbrook, CA
www.vimeo.com
If you're in the USA you could try Costco for contacts. They're loads cheaper there. I only buy 1 box of each prescription at a time, then use the lenses until they wear out. I take them out each night and clean them with a solution called Clear Care. If you want to go that route I recommend the AirOptix lenses. In the long run, it's been cheaper than glasses.

+1 on hating poly lenses. With mine, I get some color distortion, but what bugs me the most is they're blurry around the edges...I always have to look right at something for it to look clear.

Only good thing? They're practically indestructable.

Sent from my coffee pot.

Dr. Hax

Dec 19, 2010
Virginia Beach
+1 on hating poly lenses. With mine, I get some color distortion, but what bugs me the most is they're blurry around the edges...I always have to look right at something for it to look clear.

Only good thing? They're practically indestructable.

Sent from my coffee pot.

I actually would get contacts, but I like the looks glasses give me and hate the extra effort required to use contacts. And I have astigmatism. I think the eyecare places only push poly lenses to minors because they costs 2x the price and have "incentive" from the companies to push them. Sickens me. :/

omnomnomkimiiee

Aug 26, 2011
Gex
In the US, the glasses have to be shatterproof for legal reasons (If they break and you bust an eye, you could potentially sue the company who sold them to you). However, it might be possible if your parents accompany you and agree to sign a waiver stating that they accept full responsibility blahblahblah ....

-----------
"You can overclock as much as you want, your phone will always seem too slow."

thelowend

Jan 31, 2012
The cold part of Ohio
I feel your pain OP. All my life my lens prescription has been horrendous. I will never be able to get Rimless glasses, contact and custom lenses are almost $300 for me. Thankfully I have good insurance.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk 2

85gallon

In the US, the glasses have to be shatterproof for legal reasons (If they break and you bust an eye, you could potentially sue the company who sold them to you). However, it might be possible if your parents accompany you and agree to sign a waiver stating that they accept full responsibility blahblahblah ....

-----------
"You can overclock as much as you want, your phone will always seem too slow."

ralphie+broken+glasses.jpg

Babydollll

Yes, I'm quite aware this is off-topic... even for off-topic xD, but in all glasses forums I've found online, there's just no activity going on -.-

I'm nearly 17, and I wear fairly high-prescription glasses. I hate the lenses. It is becoming nearly painful to look at things now!

Things are clear and sharp. No complaints there, I'm complaining about the type of lens! I'm forced to use the horrible polycarbonate lenses because I'm under 18? I want CR-39 (plastic) lenses because the visual quality is MUCH better. On poly lenses, on the edges, there's significant color distortion.
I requested plastic lenses and the lady was asking me why as if it was the most far-fetched thing she had ever heard, and I explained fairly clearly why I want them instead. Then she was all "Ok, but plastic lenses are gonna be about twice as thick" I stopped her there and said "Honestly, I could care less about that. I take pictures and view 2 fairly large computer screens for a good portion of my day, every day. I have a wide view area, and I'd appreciate no color distortion for the minute 'con' of being thicker. I really don't think anyone else will care either."
she had this look on her face like I had just explained to an iPhone fanatic how the Galaxy Nexus pwns it. And she finally says "Well... umm... our policy is that anyone under 18 HAS to have polycarbonate lenses because they're shatterproof."

It was so difficult to say "Oh... Thanks anyway...." but I did without even sounding rude -.-
she seriously wasted my time to hear me explain, only to tell me I have no choice? and what kind of bs reason is they're shatterproof? Who cares? Plastic isn't going to ruin my eyes when they break from an impact unless it's an impact that would cause it to break in a similar matter to glass. I don't play sports, so polycarbonate lenses makes no sense.
On top of it all, plastic lenses are MUCH cheaper. Better visual quality and cheaper.

What do I do? I've had these glasses for about a month now and had the lenses changed today because my prescription was off. what are my options? I can't do contacts because they're expensive and I have astigmatism. There must be something I can do.

They make contacts for astigmatism. I should know I wear them.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
Have your eyes lasered, I did.
Now when I get angry I fire laser beams out my eyes.
The laser they used on me was a Japanese slit eye laser.

Only one of the above statements isn't true.

Dr. Hax

Dec 19, 2010
Virginia Beach
Have your eyes lasered, I did.
Now when I get angry I fire laser beams out my eyes.
The laser they used on me was a Japanese slit eye laser.

Only one of the above statements isn't true.
I'm one of those goofs who get's kinda mid-priced frames because I like the style glasses give me :p
I'm gonna attempt to find out if I can get a waiver or something stupid like that. I have asperger's syndrome and my mom thinks requiring cr-39 lenses might be a sensory thing..
Couldn't they treat me as special needs in this case or we could sue for not accommodating for my needs? Poly lenses give me headaches.

han-shinbi

Jul 1, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Hi, how high/strong is your Rx?

Instead of poly, try trivex or a high index plastic 1.60+.
Trivex is a mid index material, like poly. They both are thinner than CR-39. The big difference is that trivex is optically clear & has a high tinsel strength-which is on the opposite end of the spectrum of polycarbonate. At our shop, we highly recommend trivex to CR-39 and poly. Poly has the worse optical clarity ever-we try not to sell it at our shop.

High index is the thinnest you can go-recommended for high Rx.

Getting an anti-reflective coating should definitely help in terms of optical clarity. It cuts down on glare, reflections, and is also scratch resistant. This should have a warranty as well.

You might want to get the aspherical lens as it makes it thinner & not bulge out with a higher Rx.

These will cost more than poly obviously, but well worth it for what you are needing.

Oh one more thing, there's something called digital lens. What it is, is that a computer software is used to make the lens have better optical clarity from edge to edge- better than traditional lens. This might be something to look into as well.
Keep in mind that if you use your glasses for distant vision (-X.xx), the edges will always be thick with a high Rx.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

Last edited:

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
I'm one of those goofs who get's kinda mid-priced frames because I like the style glasses give me :p
I'm gonna attempt to find out if I can get a waiver or something stupid like that. I have asperger's syndrome and my mom thinks requiring cr-39 lenses might be a sensory thing..
Couldn't they treat me as special needs in this case or we could sue for not accommodating for my needs? Poly lenses give me headaches.

Come to the UK and get glasses, afaik we don't have any strange restrictions on lenses.
You might even be able to get away with free lenses (just pretend to be English cor blimey guvnor me wants some specs)

Dr. Hax

Dec 19, 2010
Virginia Beach
Hi, how high/strong is your Rx?

Instead of poly, try trivex or a high index plastic 1.60+.
Trivex is a mid index material, like poly. They both are thinner than CR-39. The big difference is that trivex is optically clear & has a high tinsel strength-which is on the opposite end of the spectrum of polycarbonate. At our shop, we highly recommend trivex to CR-39 and poly. Poly has the worse optical clarity ever-we try not to sell it at our shop.

High index is the thinnest you can go-recommended for high Rx.

Getting an anti-reflective coating should definitely help in terms of optical clarity. It cuts down on glare, reflections, and is also scratch resistant. This should have a warranty as well.

You might want to get the aspherical lens as it makes it thinner & not bulge out with a higher Rx.

These will cost more than poly obviously, but well worth it for what you are needing.

Oh one more thing, there's something called digital lens. What it is, is that a computer software is used to make the lens have better optical clarity from edge to edge- better than traditional lens. This might be something to look into as well.
Keep in mind that if you use your glasses for distant vision (-X.xx), the edges will always be thick with a high Rx.

I'm going in for yet another eyecheck tomorrow. What are some tips to make sure they test me right this time? I know this seems picky, but I don't want things in the distance to be the least bit blurry, it bothers me. How do I tell the optometrist "Can you just keep increasing strength until I decide the bottom row is crystal clear?" without sounding like a ****? What are the chances that they carry Trivex because I've been considering that, since my rx is kinda high (anything past half a foot is out of focus) and I fear that even if I did get CR-39, I don't mind lenses being thick (especially for optically superior lenses!), but I don't need glasses to magnify my eyes from the thickness lol.
What we'll do is I'll have my granny explain and explain myelf as well that I have Asperger's, and imperfections in vision do give me genuine headaches, and because of this, I cannot deal with polycarbonate - it makes my retinas feel like images are burned in from the color fringing... for lack of better explanation.
I'll go with Trivex if they offer it, but what if they don't? Then what should I do? These are my only glasses and they give me headaches. Ask to speak to their manager to agree on a waiver for CR39?
Than you.

fleurdelisxliv

Jan 19, 2011
Louisiana
I'm going in for yet another eyecheck tomorrow. What are some tips to make sure they test me right this time? I know this seems picky, but I don't want things in the distance to be the least bit blurry, it bothers me. How do I tell the optometrist "Can you just keep increasing strength until I decide the bottom row is crystal clear?" without sounding like a ****? What are the chances that they carry Trivex because I've been considering that, since my rx is kinda high (anything past half a foot is out of focus) and I fear that even if I did get CR-39, I don't mind lenses being thick (especially for optically superior lenses!), but I don't need glasses to magnify my eyes from the thickness lol.
What we'll do is I'll have my granny explain and explain myelf as well that I have Asperger's, and imperfections in vision do give me genuine headaches, and because of this, I cannot deal with polycarbonate - it makes my retinas feel like images are burned in from the color fringing... for lack of better explanation.
I'll go with Trivex if they offer it, but what if they don't? Then what should I do? These are my only glasses and they give me headaches. Ask to speak to their manager to agree on a waiver for CR39?
Than you.

im -5.00 in the left eye and -5.25 in the right eye (blind) but with my contacts in im 20/15 and i never have to tell my eye dr anything they always get it perfect. you may wanta try a new place. i dont wear glasses bc even when they give me the thinnest ones they are still coke bottles :p i get six pair of contacts and the exam for $100 only have to get the exam once a year, after that its only $50 for the six pair. oh yea and they always give me a pair so i dont have to open my new ones.

han-shinbi

Jul 1, 2010
Honolulu, HI
You could use the high index plastic-they are already aspheric I believe since your Rx is high. Trivex is impact resistant. They should be able to offer any of these to you with an added cost.
Trivex & high index plastic are indeed optically clearer than both Cr-39 & poly.

The material can make a difference, but if you believe it's the Rx, you should tell the optometrist to recheck your Rx- it's your right.
Make sure you are specific when you answer during the exam, miscommunication can give you a wrong Rx...

Dr. Hax

Dec 19, 2010
Virginia Beach
You could use the high index plastic-they are already aspheric I believe since your Rx is high. Trivex is impact resistant. They should be able to offer any of these to you with an added cost.
Trivex & high index plastic are indeed optically clearer than both Cr-39 & poly.

The material can make a difference, but if you believe it's the Rx, you should tell the optometrist to recheck your Rx- it's your right.
Make sure you are specific when you answer during the exam, miscommunication can give you a wrong Rx...

Higher index results in lower abbe number, resulting in more color fringing. Slightly better than polycarb (highest is 42 vs poly's 30) but I think if they deny me CR39, I'll probably just ask for aspherical Trivex. (does that exist?)

This time, I'm also gonna try not to be so quiet. I usually let them do most of the work with me communicating if something is better or worse, but obviously we need to go further than that. I'll have to communicate that I would like him to keep increasing power until ALL the letters are crystal clear, maybe hold my phone at a distance with some text, or have him open the door so I can see down the hall to the room that's usually empty (lul) whatever I have to say, though! I DO NOT want to go there again! Anyone have any tips as how to explain my "get it perfect or it's unacceptable" way of thinking? Another thing I'll do is I'll ask for a copy of my records, because, honestly, I don't Atlantic Eyecare and want to go elsewhere. Btw guys, my insurance only covers 2 year terms, not 1 year (makes me think of new every two lol)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try zennioptical.com. Glasses starting @ $7.

Edit: they are made in China. That's why they are so cheap.