USB 3.0 Charging Advantages

Search This thread

Undead46

May 24, 2011
Houston
So I've read an article that mentioned USB 3.0 Micro-B faster charging capabilities, does anyone know any validity to this?
I know it increases transfer speeds, but I was unaware if it actually charged faster too.

And if it's true, does anyone have any car charger recommendations to support this feature?
I saw this, let me know what your thoughts are: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M864/

Saturny

Jun 11, 2012
Decatur, Ga
Why pay $30 when you can get the same (or ever better) results with a good usb 3.0 cable and a 2.1 or Anker's 4.8A usb car charger for less?

WillTheGreat

Jun 14, 2010
It's true that USB 3.0 allows for higher current but this only applies when you're connecting a USB3.0 device to a USB 3.0 host like a PC. A charger isn't a host device, they work by shorting data pins. So chargers don't follow USB specifications at all.

Your limitation here is voltage and amperage. Because chargers generally work by shorting the data pins your phone will draw as much power as it can handle and as long as there are no limitations on your charger. So it's not likely that you will be able to max out a 4.8amp charger, actually it's not likely you'll be able to max out a 2.1 amp charger either.

quantumalpha

Jan 4, 2012
I find it interesting that the stock Samsung charger is NOT a USB3.0 charger. If you look at the USB port on the charger, it doesn't have the 3.0 pins...

Infoport

Aug 22, 2010
Greensboro, NC
USB 3.0 cable DOES come with some S5's

I find it interesting that the stock Samsung charger is NOT a USB3.0 charger. If you look at the USB port on the charger, it doesn't have the 3.0 pins...

Some people seem to have not been given a USB 3.0 charger, but others have reported that one was included.
I was given a 3.0 cable with mine in the box. It is a white cable and is labeled "Samsung" on the plug.

FWIW, the new 3.0 plkug seems to hold more tightly than the micro-B 2.0 plugs in previous phones.

Infoport

92drls

Jul 25, 2009
Behind you
Some people seem to have not been given a USB 3.0 charger, but others have reported that one was included.
I was given a 3.0 cable with mine in the box. It is a white cable and is labeled "Samsung" on the plug.

FWIW, the new 3.0 plkug seems to hold more tightly than the micro-B 2.0 plugs in previous phones.

Infoport

Maybe I missed something, were there some people that got 2 seperate cords or just the one white, Samsung labeled cord?

Undead46

May 24, 2011
Houston
Then what's the best charger to get for DC plug that you would recommend? Just look for something with the highest amps?

Stiflerlv

Apr 9, 2010
USB 3.0 standart is meant for PCs/Macs/Devices. Original USB 2.0 port on PC would output only 0.5A. Default wall chargers would output 1A. Car chargers are different, but my 2A charger didnt charge my old phone any faster.

With USB 3.0, PCs should give out 2A (if Im correct) meaning u will charge 4x faster on USB 3.0 port.
With wallchargers its different. Cable itself doesnt have the limit (atleast not noticable one), meaning on 2A wall charger, and stock USB 2.0 cable, which comes with galaxy S5, you should charge with 2A.

Each device have power protection aswell, thats why older phones can use max to 1A to protect itself, while tablets needed 2A charger. I suspect galaxy S5 is made to charge with 2A aswell, aswell it holds up backward compability with 1A.

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
Maybe I missed something, were there some people that got 2 seperate cords or just the one white, Samsung labeled cord?
Thats correct...I think i heard on AC that the International S5 didnt get the 3.0 cable, but i could be mistaken. Us on Sprint got the White 3.0 cable and it charges Super fast....I love the newer cable, so much more convinient

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
I bought a USB 3.0 cable from ebay, it is a surprisingly fat cable, the same thickness as an ethernet cable. Couldn't believe how fast it charged compared to my S3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321347128...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I plug this into the wall charger to charge the S5 instead of the tiny thin cable that I had from an old phone. I haven't done any proper testing on this but the old small cable seemed to take about twice as long to charge the phone as using this cable does. I can go from 15% to full on this cable in probably a bit over an hour or so and it seemed to be taking at least double that with the other non-usb 3.0 cable.

Perhaps the other cable is providing less power as it is quite old but is still standard usb to micro usb so I guess it provides the same as any other and in theory should charge exactly the same when plugged into the wall socket adaptor as the usb3.0 cable does? The old black micro usb cable says 28AWG on it, the white one which came with the S5 (which I have not tried) says 30AWG on it and I read that lower AWG is better for charging which implies the white one will be even worse than the old black one. The USB3.0 doesnt show an AWG number on it.

The only problem with this usb 3.0 cable is it needs a damn hard pull to get it out, I would rather use the smaller one but not if it takes much longer to charge it.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulgl26

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
From wiki:

For usb 3.0
"there is a Battery Charging Specification (Version 1.2 – December 2010), which increases the power handling capability to 1.5 A but does not allow concurrent data transmission.[20] The Battery Charging Specification requires that the physical ports themselves be capable of handling 5 A of current[citation needed] but the specification limits the maximum current drawn to 1.5 A."

For usb 3.1
"The USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Using three power profiles of those defined in the USB Power Delivery Specification, it lets devices with larger energy demands request higher currents and supply voltages from compliant hosts – up to 2 A at 5 V (for a power consumption of up to 10 W)"

Now it is all very confusing because I read on techspot that "usb 3.0 superspeed" effectively has this increase, where wiki says there is no such thing and that this "superspeed" is 3.1 not 3.0.

None of them mention 0.9a. So it is as clear as mud. The official plain old usb 3.0 will only do 1.5a and thats if there is no data connection, and either usb 3.0 superspeed, or usb 3.1 will do 2a but I have no idea whether it is called usb 3.1 or "usb 3.0 superspeed" which would be ridiculous and confuse just about every consumer on the planet. I doubt it is called 3.1 because I have never heard 3.1 mentioned before on any device or cable, which leads me to think the extra charging in the newer revision is actuall the "usb 3.0 superspeed" which basically means nobody has a bluddy clue because most things will simply say usb 3.0. there, clear as mud.

double002

Jul 28, 2011
From wiki:

For usb 3.0
"there is a Battery Charging Specification (Version 1.2 – December 2010), which increases the power handling capability to 1.5 A but does not allow concurrent data transmission.[20] The Battery Charging Specification requires that the physical ports themselves be capable of handling 5 A of current[citation needed] but the specification limits the maximum current drawn to 1.5 A."

For usb 3.1
"The USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Using three power profiles of those defined in the USB Power Delivery Specification, it lets devices with larger energy demands request higher currents and supply voltages from compliant hosts – up to 2 A at 5 V (for a power consumption of up to 10 W)"

Now it is all very confusing because I read on techspot that "usb 3.0 superspeed" effectively has this increase, where wiki says there is no such thing and that this "superspeed" is 3.1 not 3.0.

None of them mention 0.9a. So it is as clear as mud. The official plain old usb 3.0 will only do 1.5a and thats if there is no data connection, and either usb 3.0 superspeed, or usb 3.1 will do 2a but I have no idea whether it is called usb 3.1 or "usb 3.0 superspeed" which would be ridiculous and confuse just about every consumer on the planet. I doubt it is called 3.1 because I have never heard 3.1 mentioned before on any device or cable, which leads me to think the extra charging in the newer revision is actuall the "usb 3.0 superspeed" which basically means nobody has a bluddy clue because most things will simply say usb 3.0. there, clear as mud.

From wiki:

Electrical
Signal 5 volt DC
Max. voltage 5.00±0.25 V (pre-3.0); 5.00+0.25-0.55 V (USB 3.0)
Max. current 0.5–0.9 A (general);
5 A (charging devices)

:)
The thing is that when you plug your phone on your computer, you use data transmission, so you're limited to 0.9A ;)

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
So we get 2a from wall socket regardless of which usb cable used. And when connected to pc we get 0.5a from usb 2 and 0.9 from usb 3?

How long should the 2800mah battery take to charge from 2a from the wall socket from 0 to 100%? I worked out 2 hours 20 mins but I probably did it wrong. I just tested mine from 50% to 100% on the wall socket and it took 1 hour 15mins which seems about right for my 2h 20 calculation, but I could have sworn I had charged this thing from about 15% to full in a bit over an hour before, but I may be going mad.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's true that USB 3.0 allows for higher current but this only applies when you're connecting a USB3.0 device to a USB 3.0 host like a PC. A charger isn't a host device, they work by shorting data pins. So chargers don't follow USB specifications at all.

Your limitation here is voltage and amperage. Because chargers generally work by shorting the data pins your phone will draw as much power as it can handle and as long as there are no limitations on your charger. So it's not likely that you will be able to max out a 4.8amp charger, actually it's not likely you'll be able to max out a 2.1 amp charger either.
    I bought a USB 3.0 cable from ebay, it is a surprisingly fat cable, the same thickness as an ethernet cable. Couldn't believe how fast it charged compared to my S3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321347128...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I plug this into the wall charger to charge the S5 instead of the tiny thin cable that I had from an old phone. I haven't done any proper testing on this but the old small cable seemed to take about twice as long to charge the phone as using this cable does. I can go from 15% to full on this cable in probably a bit over an hour or so and it seemed to be taking at least double that with the other non-usb 3.0 cable.

Perhaps the other cable is providing less power as it is quite old but is still standard usb to micro usb so I guess it provides the same as any other and in theory should charge exactly the same when plugged into the wall socket adaptor as the usb3.0 cable does? The old black micro usb cable says 28AWG on it, the white one which came with the S5 (which I have not tried) says 30AWG on it and I read that lower AWG is better for charging which implies the white one will be even worse than the old black one. The USB3.0 doesnt show an AWG number on it.

The only problem with this usb 3.0 cable is it needs a damn hard pull to get it out, I would rather use the smaller one but not if it takes much longer to charge it.