[GUIDE] New Root Method for LG Devices

Search This thread
You can also boot up a live linux disc(or cd/dvd). Can't remember what distro I ran on my old mac(no intel inside)

He says that if i want a phone that "just works", i should get an iPhone. I want the ability to customize my phone, so the iPhone is out. I've never used a PC, so i guess i'd better learn, if i want to root any phone.:p

P.S.- I just can't believe that people who are knowledgeable enough to make a "root kit" for a PC, can't also make one for a Mac.:(

6ril1

Jan 23, 2010
Bordeaux
He says that if i want a phone that "just works", i should get an iPhone. I want the ability to customize my phone, so the iPhone is out. I've never used a PC, so i guess i'd better learn, if i want to root any phone.[emoji14]

P.S.- I just can't believe that people who are knowledgeable enough to make a "root kit" for a PC, can't also make one for a Mac.:(
A few page ago, there's a python script that do the same thing that the send_command.exe used here on windows.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=60557353
I imagine that it can be used on mac, as it can be on linux, no ?
You need drivers too and adb, i don"t know if it can be found for your device on mac that i never used.

Last edited:

kostikos

Apr 19, 2008
Does this work on the latest firmware 5.1.1 for the flex 2? I already have root in 5.0.1 but i read in a topic that su will be lost after upgrading and wont be able to get it back...

parcou

Jun 7, 2008
TN
No success with the LTE LG gPad 10.1... on 5.0.2

Any luck for anyone else...all sites I have tried failed to root

Reactions: ricovox

kamil79123

Oct 17, 2014
Bydgoszcz
Hey anyone can help me? How to run this send_command in cmd, and how to run this sh code because it says "name 'sh' is not recognized as a command"

hongtae2013

Dec 19, 2013
Bangkok
I heard that if your command hangs after sending the command it is because SELinux on Lollipop won't let you execute anything from /data/local/tmp. Is that true?

goranbm

Dec 16, 2010
Beli Manastir
I rooted my LG G3 (runing v20i - latest fw) with this method, and i get evrething ok, it says Done at the end, without any errors. But when i start my phone again, and i start Titanium backup I get message that says that my device is not rooted, and i should manually re-root ?? Please advise.

Sep 1, 2008
Many THANX!!!

I can't manage to root my LG G2 D802 on stock Lollipop 5.0.2.
I read other threads and some said I cannot root stock Lollipop if I wasn't rooted before (on KitKat or JellyBean).
I don't know if it was true, but one click and other scripts didn't work for me. I was stuck at download mode. I was waiting then reboot, but nothing happened :(
With this method I was successful! :D:laugh:

Thanks a lot!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
    A lot.

Original Guide

Prerequisites
    1.) Download LG Root
    2.) Download LG Drivers
    3.) A micro USB cable connected to your PC
    4.) Your device must be unencrypted
    5.) Before you ask a question, make sure you looked at the pictures in the guide.

1.) Download and unzip the LG_Root.zip in your preferred location

I chose the Desktop for my location
    xkBEnEt.png

2.) Enable ADB debugging on your device

Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information and tap build number until you are presented with "You are now a developer"
    Exit back to Settings main screen
    In Developer Options enable USB Debugging (Some devices require enabling PTP for debugging to work)

3.) In the root of LG_Root folder start a command prompt

Instructions may vary based on Window's version
    Inside of LG_Root folder hold shift and right click a blank space you should see "Open command window here"

JNudOyR.png

JMNTakw.png

4.) Now that we have a command prompt running in the root of the folder let's get started. (Commands are copy+paste unless specified)

Let's make sure our device is connected
    Code:
    adb.exe devices

8ahcq3C.png

5.) Great! My device is connected let's continue, we need to get the files onto the device used for this root method.

In the same command prompt let's execute another command

Code:
    adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp

Ju0nDcJ.png

6.) Well that was easy , let's continue (Now that we have the files on our device we want to put our device is download mode)

(Note this method may vary from device to device)
    Power off your device
    When the device is powered off, hold volume up and insert a USB cable connected to the PC
    Wait for the drivers to install

7.) We're almost done (you've managed to get in download mode)

HR3cXz4.png

8.) Let's find which COM port our device is connected to

Double click ports.bat (This will give us the COM port in which our device is connected we are looking for the Diag port)

You may exit this command prompt when you have your COM port number, keep the other command prompt open

SoUGF5o.png

9.) Let's Begin! (Keep the device in Download mode)

Let's run Send_Command.exe (It couldn't connect? Make sure you COM port number is correct it varies)
    Code:
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4

fre9Z9l.png

10.) Final Step!!!!!! (We must run the root script)

Code:
    sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox

VVoIri8.png

11.) We're done

You may pull the battery to get the device out of Download mode

Credit
    All credit goes to @jgkim find a post and thank this guy for posting the method.
    Thank @high247 for ports.bat
    One Click Root

You can follow the one click root guide here thanks to @avicohh
    Devices confirmed working with root method (If your device isn't listed it's most likely still supported)

• LG F60 (all variants)
    • LG Tribute (all variants)
    • LG G2 (all variants)
    • LG MS395/D393
    • LG G3 (all variants)
    • LG L90 (all variants)
    • LG Transpyre
    • LG Volt (LS740)
    • LG G Flex 2

NOTE: Do not attempt this on devices with 5.1.1 , at the time this method was posted it worked on many firmware 5.0.2 and below. With the current releases from LG, this method has and will brick many users. This can be said for the one click method as well. Failure to read the complete thread may render your device non repairable as the KDZ firmware isn't released for all LG devices.
    Linux version of Send_Command

I've prepared a Linux port of the Send_Command tool. Now we can root without windows.
    Thank you to Only, pangolin.rollin, and Unjustified Dev who made this possible.
    http://jacobstoner.com/qcdlcomm.py
    Run the python script in a terminal for instructions. Feedback is appreciated.
    Got it my driver issue fixed with the help of this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59310899&postcount=471 the driver in the file he attached is just what I needed to get it to work correctly.

It might also be very useful for anyone else who might run into the same problem I did. Cheers! :cool:

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

Rooted, Bootloader UNLOCKED, and installed AdFree.apk... Today was a good day!