[Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-passion-v2.2.1

Search This thread

frozst

Feb 24, 2011
I tried but this is what LOG says. Maybe CWMr made a wrong backup and it's impossible to restore.
Code:
Restore path: /sdcard/nandroid/HT066P800269/BCDEARS-20111018-0100

Verifying backup images...
.....................................boot.img: OK
cache.yaffs2.img: OK
data.yaffs2.img: OK
recovery.img: OK
sd-ext.ext4.tar: OK
system.yaffs2.img: OK
.android_secure.vfat.tar: OK
Flashing boot...
mtd: MEMGETBADBLOCK returned 1 at 0x00000000 (errno=0)

Not flashing recovery image!

Erasing /data...
.Unpacking data image...
[B]open image file failed[/B]
Erasing /system...
....Unpacking system image...
[B]open image file failed[/B]
Restore done

G

GuestX0019

If that didn't work, I don't think you'll restore it

Just start over with Amon, sorry--:(

frozst

Feb 24, 2011
Thank you anyway :(. I have also tried copying the files manually to the partitions but (obviously) it didn't work.

Naes10

Jun 6, 2010
Just wanted to say thanks for the recovery. I was using CW recovery but then had to flash a radio and learned this could not be done on current versions of clockwork. Now I am happily running this recovery and new radio. Thanks!

maglovato

Dec 2, 2009
After you have flashed the superuser zip, you need to boot into the device normally, not in recovery (as your custom recovery will be deleted once you reboot and replaced with the stock recovery). Once you are booted normally, go in and delete the file, and then RE-FLASH your custom recovery.
Perfectly understood. My unique question is how to flash superuser.

I found this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682828
It have versions for 1.5/1.6 and 2.1/2.2. I am running 2.3, since Google automatically updated mine weeks ago.

So, the missing link is how should I get root on this device. I was told to flash something thru Recovery to do so, but I cannot get to recovery since I cant remove that .sh because I cant go root.

Am I being too n00b on this? If so, sorry. SGS i9000B was a real pain, and I did it. I am somehow stuck on this tricky point.

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas
Thank you very much for this recovery. The last CWM recovery corrupted my ext partition so I couldn't restore from that recovery:(. I tried to restore the ext partition manually and then data, cache, system, boot... with CWM but it didn't work.

Do you know how could I restore the backup made with CWMr 5.0.2.0 through this recovery?

I am not sure you can

I did read a long time about moving the bu out of the CWM bu folder and into the Amon_Ra Nandroid folder on your sd card--not sure if it works

Make sure you have some kinda of bu, preferably on pc

It is a good idea to bu rom and sdcard on a regular basis to your pc

bu sdcard before you do this if haven't already

can you flash the img files made with clockwork with fastboot?

fastboot flash userdata data.img
fastboot flash system system.img

etc...?

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
How to flash a custom recovery and get root with an unlocked bootloader.

Perfectly understood. My unique question is how to flash superuser.

I found this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682828
It have versions for 1.5/1.6 and 2.1/2.2. I am running 2.3, since Google automatically updated mine weeks ago.

So, the missing link is how should I get root on this device. I was told to flash something thru Recovery to do so, but I cannot get to recovery since I cant remove that .sh because I cant go root.

Am I being too n00b on this? If so, sorry. SGS i9000B was a real pain, and I did it. I am somehow stuck on this tricky point.
Ok, let me try and make this clear, as you are obviously not understanding something, depite all the information/guides available:

Step-by-step:
1) Download the Eclair/Froyo version of Superuser from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682828 and place it on the root directory of your sdcard.
2) Ensure the Android SDK and USB drivers are properly installed on your computer.
3) Reboot your device into fastboot mode and plug into your computer.
4) Open a terminal window on your computer and navigate to the directory that has the fastboot executable.
5) Type fastboot devices. You should see your device. If not, redo step 2.
6) Place the custom recovery you want into the same directory as the fastboot executable.
7) Rename the recovery to recovery.img (to keep things simple).
8) Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9) Reboot your device into recovery DIRECTLY. DO NOT reboot into the main ROM.
10) Reread step 9. Now you should be in Amon_RA's recovery.
11) Go to "flash zip from sdcard" or whatever the menu is called.
12) Turn OFF signature verification.
13) Find the Superuser zip file that you downloaded, and flash it.
14) Reboot. Now you have root.
15) Now, you can remove the install-recovery.sh either via your device or through ADB if you want. I will tell you how to do it via ADB.
16) Open a terminal window on your computer and navigate to the directory that has the adb executable.
17) Type adb devices. You should see your device. If not, redo step 2.
18) Type adb shell. You should now see the $ prompt.
19) Type su, and then look at your device: You should see the Superuser prompt. Give it permission.
20) Type mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system to mount the /system partion as r/w.
21) Type rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh to remove the file.
22) Type mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system to mount the /system partion as ro.
23) Type exit.
24) Type exit again.
25) Type adb reboot-bootloader
26) Do step 4, 5, and 8 AGAIN.
27) Finished.

Last edited:

maglovato

Dec 2, 2009
efrant, thanks man. A lot. I know I was missing something stupid. Now I am at the Recovery. I tought that rebooting directly into Recovery will produce the same behavior, and of course I was completelly wrong. I admit that. Thank you for your time and attention.

frozst

Feb 24, 2011
Well, I tried to restore via fastboot but I got an error message saying the the size of file is too big. Apparently fastboot images are limited to 128MB.

Maybe I could try with a update.zip script...

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
efrant, thank you very much for the detailed guide, but could you please explain, what's the purpose of the step 26 ?
If you are using a stock ROM, there is a file (/system/etc/install-recovery.sh) included in the stock ROM that re-flashes the stock recovery on every boot.

So, if you flash a custom recovery, it will disappear the first time you boot into your stock ROM.

In order to have a custom recovery to stick on your device, you need to delete that script. However, if you booted into your ROM to delete that file, your custom recovery is gone, so you have to re-flash it. But now, since the file is gone, your custom recovery will still be there.

Reactions: zc2

yumcax

Aug 29, 2010
Seattle
Fastboot flash

I have used this recovery in the past by installing it through ROM Manager. Now that that seems to not be working, I decided to use the fastboot method. I got fastboot installed and working, fastboot devices finds the phone. But when I try to flash the recovery, I get this message:
x7cer.png

So, it was recommended that I install from the SD card.
mLJ0ul.jpg

This does not work either. How can I correctly install? Where must the file be placed so that fastboot can access it and it works correctly?

Last edited:

meric04

Feb 9, 2010
I have used this recovery in the past by installing it through ROM Manager. Now that that seems to not be working, I decided to use the fastboot method. I got fastboot installed and working, fastboot devices finds the phone. But when I try to flash the recovery, I get this message:
x7cer.png

mLJ0ul.jpg

This does not work either. How can I correctly install? Where must the file be placed so that fastboot can access it and it works correctly?

It's fastboot flash recovery <filename>

[Edit: Nevermind - just re-read the post, you've presumably tried the correct syntax. Have you confirmed that the image file is correct - i.e. check the md5 signature?]

Last edited:

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
x7cer.png

mLJ0ul.jpg

If your bootloader is locked, you cannot use fastboot commands. Either use the flash_image utility or install Blackrose. A quick search on both will show you how to proceed.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Reactions: crachel

gregferns

Sep 19, 2009
Mumbai
Xiaomi Poco F1
OnePlus Nord
If your bootloader is locked, you cannot use fastboot commands. Either use the flash_image utility or install Blackrose. A quick search on both will show you how to proceed.

Hi efrant,

My Bootloader is locked, but i flashed the Hboot with fastboot commands.
Also fastboot devices does show me my phone.

So i dont know if SOME fastboot commands work and some don't.

regards
greg

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi efrant,

My Bootloader is locked, but i flashed the Hboot with fastboot commands.
Also fastboot devices does show me my phone.

So i dont know if SOME fastboot commands work and some don't.

regards
greg

Let me rephrase my post: you cannot use "fastboot flash" to flash unsigned images (and this recovery is unsigned) if your bootloader is locked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a custom recovery based on Cyanogen's recovery source with a lot of things added by me. The purpose of this recovery is to avoid using adb by accessing all features directly from the menu.

This recovery is for the HTC Nexus One only, if you have a :
    - HTC Dream/G1 you should go here.
    - HTC Magic/MT3G you should go here.
    - HTC Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Sprint Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Eris you should go here.
    - HTC Tattoo you should go here.

Important notes
    • Always check recovery.log before posting your issues!
      You can do this by doing :
      • "cat /tmp/recovery.log" OR "cat /cache/recovery/log" right after you had the issue.
      • Use the "move log to sd" option in the "others" menu right after you had the issue. This will move the log to /sdcard/recovery.log so you can easily open it with a text editor.

Features

Use the trackball (up+down) to navigate through the menu, press the trackball to select items. Use the Volume-down key to go back to a previous menu.

Features
    • full ADB access in recovery mode
    • Alternative CM and JF version
    • Busybox v1.15.3
    • Kernel (2.6.35.7) with ext3 + ext4 support
    • SLCD and AMOLED support
    • HW-Key navigation (Trackball + Volume-key) option
    • Extended menu :
      • Reboot system now :: reboot your phone
      • USB-MS Toggle :: enable/disable USB mass storage (use when the phone is connected to your PC)
      • Backup/Restore
        • Nand backup :: Make a selective Nandroid backup
        • Nand restore :: Restore a Nandroid backup
        • Backup Google proprietary system files :: Makes a backup of the Google proprietary system files in /cache/google
        • Restore Google proprietary system files :: Restores the Google proprietary system files from /cache/google
      • Flash zip from sdcard.
        • Choose zip from sdcard :: Flash a zip update file from any (sub)-directory on your sdcard
        • Toggle signature verification :: Toggles the signature verification for zip files.
      • Wipe
        • Wipe ALL data/factory reset :: wipes /data + /cache + entire ext partition + all apps installed on your sdcard (froyo a2sd).
        • Wipe /data :: wipes /data.
        • Wipe /cache :: wipes /cache.
        • Wipe /sdcard/.android_secure :: wipes all apps installed on your sdcard (froyo a2sd).
        • Wipe /sd-ext :: wipes the entire ext partition on your sd (if present).
        • Wipe Dalvik-cache :: wipes the dalvik-cache located in /cache + /data + /sd-ext is present.
        • Wipe battery stats :: reset the battery calibration.
        • Wipe rotate settings :: reset the sensor calibration.
      • Partition sdcard
        • Partition SD :: Interactive SD partitioning
        • Repair SD:ext :: Repair the ext partition
        • SD:ext2 to ext3 :: Convert ext2 to ext3
        • SD:ext3 to ext4 :: Convert ext3 to ext4
      • Mounts
        • (Un)Mount /system
        • (Un)Mount /cache
        • (Un)Mount /data
        • (Un)Mount /sd-ext
        • (Un)Mount /sdcard
      • Other
        • Fix apk uid mismatches :: Does extacly that
        • Move recovery.log to SD :: Moves the recovery log file to your sdcard. (Use when you want more detailed recovery log information)
      • Power off :: Powers off your phone
    • Scripts available via adb :

Install

Pre-Requirements :
    • Root
    • Make sure that init.rc isn't calling any install-recovery.sh script, otherwise you'll boot back to stock recovery (exclamation mark with a little Android). More info on this here.

via Rom Manager
    1. Download "Rom Manager" from the Android market
    2. Start "Rom Manager"
    3. Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and wait for it to finish
    4. Select "Flash Alternate Recovery" and wait for it to finish -> this will install the latest version of RA recovery.

via fastboot
    Code:
    Copy recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img to a location where fastboot can find it.
    Boot your phone into fastboot mode (power on while holding the trackball)
    Connect your phone via usb to your pc/mac/...
    fastboot devices (to make sure that fastboot "sees" your phone)
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img

via terminal app
    Code:
    Copy recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img to the root of your sdcard
    start the terminal app
    su(press enter)
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img(press enter)
    reboot recovery(press enter)

How to boot in Recovery Mode

1. Boot the phone while holding down the VOLUMEDOWN-key.
    2. Navigate to RECOVERY with the the VOLUMEDOWN-key.
    3. Press the POWER-key to select.

Download

ALWAYS check the md5sum to make sure the zip isn't corrupted.

Latest version :

Previous versions :

Change-log :

v2.2.1
    • Nandroid backup is now selective, boot/system/cache/data are selected by default.
    • Nandroid checks if there's at least 500MB free on SDcard before starting a backup.
    • Added/updated error/warning messages.

v2.1.1
    • Fixed ext4 support in kernel! Update from v2.x if you are using sd-ext!

v2.1.0
    • Reduced recovery size by 800kb so it fits any hboot version to date :
      • Set Kernel compression mode to LZMA (33% smaller kernel)
      • Switched kernel debugging off
      • Removed : Networking support - Bluetooth subsystem support
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Misc device - AKM8973 Compass Driver
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Misc device - A1026 Voice Processor Driver
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Multimedia support
      • Removed : Device Drivers - MSM 3D Graphics driver for Adreno class GPU's
    • Nandroid now backups the entire content of /sd-ext , not just the apps. This fixes bootloops of certain restored roms.
    • Moved the "Toggle signature verification"-option from the Other- to the main flash-submenu.
    • Re-ordered the wipe menu.

v2.0.0
    Some things in v2.0.0 were kanged with a twist from the Clockworkmod recovery.
    • Updated kernel to 2.6.35 (SLCD and AMOLED are now both supported).
    • Added SDEXT support for update scripts.
    • Added "filebrowser" support when you select a zip to flash.
    • Added "/.." support to the filebrowser so you can navigate up.
    • Added a mount menu so you can manually (u)mount stuff.
    • Added a toggle verification switch so you can flash those awesome unsigned winrar rom releases...
    • Fully re-wrote the wipe menu (it's not using a script anymore), added a few new wipe options.
    • Added "/sdcard/.android_secure" support , nandroid now backups/restores .android_secure (Froyo a2sd apps) by default.
    • Added a few new Google apps to the Google app backup script.

Special thanks to :
    • packetlss for all the hours of support and awesome coding skills, THANKS man ^^, donate to Haiti
    • Koushik Dutta for all his recovery work ^^
    • Cyanogen for his dedicated work! , buy him a beer!
    • Chris Soyars for the new Apps2SD method ^^
    • JesusFreke for his awesome JFv1.43's recovery , donate
    • pensive for adding awesome features to Nandroid :)
    • Bkmo for his utility script!
    • Devsk for his switchrom script!
    • 51dusty for his sdparted script!
    • k4str0 for his fix_permissions v2.03 update.
    • Devsk, Dumfuq, Overground for creating BART :D
    • rikupw for the ideas and toggle_ums script.
    • http://www.androidspin.com for hosting ^^
    [Recovery] [27-Dec-2010] RA-nexus-v2.1.1

Reserved for future use
    The site is down! Can someone upload the file again??

See attachment
    updated to v2.2.1

Change-log :

v2.2.1
    • Nandroid backup is now selective, boot/system/cache/data are selected by default.
    • Nandroid checks if there's at least 500MB free on SDcard before starting a backup.
    • Added/updated error/warning messages.
    updated to v2.1.1

Changelog : v2.1.1
    • Fixed ext4 support in kernel! Update from v2.x if you are using sd-ext!