Keep my X or go N5?

Search This thread

jason.912

May 9, 2012
I'm tempted by the unlocked BL and wireless charging. But I'm not sire how I will feel about loosing touch less and active notifications.

Anyone have both? And have advice?

Reactions: Jamolah

Rebel908

May 5, 2011
Norwalk, CA
I'm tempted by the unlocked BL and wireless charging. But I'm not sire how I will feel about loosing touch less and active notifications.

Anyone have both? And have advice?

Wireless Charging sucks. Its slow. I love how fast the Moto X charges. But seriously, the only bonus is that the Nexus is on 4.4.1 now instead of 4.4 to improve camera which is something Moto X has been dealing.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
If moto wont allow me to unlock my bootloader, i will switch to N5 asap

phositadc

May 7, 2010
I've got both (and an iPhone 5s) and my vote is Moto X over Nexus 5, but mainly because I prefer it's form factor.

Sent from my iPhone

angelriathica

Oct 12, 2011
I got both and I usually use my X more than my nexus because of battery life. I don't root or anything just use as is.

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

qbanlinxx

Mar 30, 2011
Orlando
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
I got both and I usually use my X more than my nexus because of battery life. I don't root or anything just use as is.

Really curious on how your moto x gets better battery life. I've got a stock Moto x and it barely makes it through the day. My N5 battery easily lasts me into the wee hours

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DertyDOH

Dec 30, 2010
I had both, and I sold my Nexus 5 to keep the Moto X. For me, one I couldn't deal with not having active notifications and the flip to camera gesture because I'm a big car guy and snap pics on the road a lot. Also, Verizon is by far the best coverage here. Also I found the Nexus 5 to be too big and awkward in my hand, and its the same software, and I don't find any reason to go CM anymore. Also I find the Nexus screen to look a little faded/washed vs the Moto X. I agree with the other guy that I also get better battery life from my Moto X. For me, the Nexus 5 is only better if you want CM, and prefer the bigger screen.

ReggieTee

Jul 25, 2010
McKinney, TX
I currently have an S4. I have the Cyber Monday code but I'm torn between the Moto X and Nexus 5. One one hand, the Moto X brings innovation with customization and active notifications. However, i'm concerned about the smaller screen and even less of a usuable area with the on screen buttons. I love my S4's 5 inch 1080p screen.

What has me leaning towards Nexus 5 is the fact that i'm in the last few months of my Sprint contract. Where I live, the service is pretty damn good but i've been wanting to go back to T-Mobile to be on a GSM carrier and can use unlocked devices when I want. I could use the Nexus 5 on Sprint and just carry it over to T-Mo when my contract is up.

I don't have large hands and the ergonomics of the Moto X is another pro.

For me, it comes down to innovaton, customization, and an all-around solid phone vs Stock Android, fast updates, 1080p display and the ability to take it to my next carrier when i'm done with sprint. Hard to choose. My coupon expires on the 11th.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Really curious on how your moto x gets better battery life. I've got a stock Moto x and it barely makes it through the day. My N5 battery easily lasts me into the wee hours

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

True. 4.4 killed my battery life. Moto needs to update their WiFi drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

finalarcadia

Dec 19, 2012
Motorola is a much better manufacturer than LG. My nexus 5 had terrible battery life, a terrible speaker with terrible placement, and the design's just not that great. Sold it for my Moto X.

angelriathica

Oct 12, 2011
I use my phones regularly and most of the time use Bluetooth streaming while I'm driving in the field. For some reason the nexus 5 drains fast while I'm streaming Bluetooth.

Reactions: HotInEER

the green man

Sep 4, 2012
I had the n5 and it had terrible battery life and build quality. Couldnt deal with the battery life, speaker and vibration(couldnt feel it in my pocket or hear it on my desk). However, I do miss the unlocked bootloader, larger screen and wireless charging but realized i need to be more worried about functionality when dropping $350.

I have the att x and purchased the tmobile version to unlock the bootloader. I can deal with the smaller screen and hopefully the qi receiver i purchased works.. so for me, its the moto x all the way.

How important is battery life to you? That was the major deciding factor for me.

Reactions: trojanv

RyanTX

May 22, 2010
Pilot Point
I had just over 4 hours of screen on time yesterday on my X when I plugged it in last night at midnight. I've never seen that much screen time on any phone I've ever owned. I'm running 4.4.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

WizeGuyDezignz

Jun 12, 2008
San Diego
I had just over 4 hours of screen on time yesterday on my X when I plugged it in last night at midnight. I've never seen that much screen time on any phone I've ever owned. I'm running 4.4.

No disrespect, but you must have not owned many phones then. My last several phones have gotten me 5+ hours screen time so 4 hours seems pretty low to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To those who are complaining and saying they want more than 4 hours screen on time... Please realize you're not a normal user. Assuming an 8 hour night of sleeping, you're telling me you're spending a quarter of your life or more with you screen on and your face buried in your phone... This is not normal.

I can't understand going to extreme lengths to get such long battery life like dimming the screen, greenifying everything, etc. If my battery gets low, which 99% of the time it doesn't, I plug it in. Why sacrifice all the great things on the phone for an extra hour of battery? I mean dimming the screen is absurd to me - it's a beautiful screen, enjoy it.

Moto X using Tapatalk
    I have had nexus 5 since 4 days after launch. MotoX the week after cyber Monday. Im keeping the X and pretty sure I'm gonna sell the nexus. My reasoning.

MotoX Developer Edition

Speakers
    Form factor
    Able to customize without losing features (launcher etc.)
    Sound quality through headphones
    Battery life slightly better stock, huge difference with mods.
    Screen has an actual black
    Can use the nexus 4.4.2 Email and exchange app as well as almost everything else nexus specific.
    Active notifications. There's s copy app on play store but it doesn't work as well on the Nexus5
    Touchless controls probably my favorite thing about the phone. I thought it would be gimmicky but it alone as completely replaced my need for an alarm app. Navigation is real easy, don't have to take my eyes off the road.
    Holds on to LTE for dear life where nexus gives up and goes hspa+. Signal measured in db is similar though.

Both

Speed
    Smoothened
    Kit Kat

Nexus5

Screen size
    Visibility in direct light
    Better specs than most computers
    Multitask master
    Google dialer with business search
    Camera is much clearer. It's the main thing I will miss from the nexus.

I just ultimately found myself reaching for the MotoX more and it hit me... These phones aren't different enough to keep them both. As of now I'm hoping for a Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition with an 8k Mah Zerolemon battery. I'd probably still keep the X but at least that would make up for its few shortcomings.

Sent from my MotoX Developer Edition
    I'm on T-Mobile and the Moto X gets signal everywhere! That was far from the case with the Nexus.

No disrespect, but you must have not owned many phones then. My last several phones have gotten me 5+ hours screen time so 4 hours seems pretty low to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app