Google Voice question

Search This thread

Butchr

Apr 22, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
If placing a call with Google voice it will use WiFi. Nothing to change.

I believe this to be wrong. I was pretty sure the only way to get google voice to make calls over a wifi connection was to use a an app like Grooveip. That is the app I use to make wifi calls with my phone, and it works pretty well. Reason being that google voice has no built in dialer. When you use google voice on your phone's default dialer your call goes out across your carriers data not wifi. When you run an app like Groove ip it will in fact connect to wifi with your google voice account and place the call over wifi. It is a payed app. There might be other apps that are free in the market, but I know for a fact Groove ip works.

s89281b

Oct 7, 2010
north charleston,sc
if you go into settings for google voice and select making calls it gives you 4 chooses for making calls. use google voice to make all calls/do not use google voice for any calls/ international calls/ or ask every time. if set to all calls it will use google voice when dialing out with stock dialer. i have mine set to ask every time. when i go to dial out using stock dialer it ask if i want to use google voice or not. i can verify it is using google voice over wifi by monitoring data used in settings. wifi useage from google voice goes up after placing call and selecting use google voice. but mobile data will stay the same.

Butchr

Apr 22, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
Here is a better way to check. Settings/more settings/Mobile networks/uncheck enable data access over mobile network. Now make a call. I believe you will see my point.
Otherwise why would anyone even use an app like Groove ip.

I mean I have been wrong before, but if I am wrong this is a recent update. I am quite sure wifi calling is supported on custom roms, but bone stock ATT there is no wifi calling. Perhaps you are running a custom rom that supports wifi calling.

kappa546

Nov 30, 2010
I use an app called Talkatone for this. It integrates with GV and worked much better for me than groove ip did (horrible delay in conversation). The cool thing is that it dials using data also so I have t mobiles Prepaid $30 plan with 100 minutes and unlimited data and hardly use any of the plans minutes.

s89281b

Oct 7, 2010
north charleston,sc
Here is a better way to check. Settings/more settings/Mobile networks/uncheck enable data access over mobile network. Now make a call. I believe you will see my point.
Otherwise why would anyone even use an app like Groove ip.

I mean I have been wrong before, but if I am wrong this is a recent update. I am quite sure wifi calling is supported on custom roms, but bone stock ATT there is no wifi calling. Perhaps you are running a custom rom that supports wifi calling.

i was on cm9. i just flashed back to stock to try and see if still works the same and it does. i unchecked data access over mobile then made a call using stock touchwiz dialer and with google voice set to ask to use for each call. when dialing out i get the same popup that i get using cm9 asking to use google voice or not. tried both ways with and without. called att customer care and when not using gvoice it knows my att number. call with gvoice and ask what number i am calling about so i know it is being directed through gvoice. once again checking data usage and i can see wifi data increasing for gvoice but not mobile data. best thing to do is try yourself on your setup and see if it works for you. if not then use a 3rd party app.

Last edited:

s89281b

Oct 7, 2010
north charleston,sc
when i get more time i will test some more and make sure i am not missing something. would like to completely disable mobile network and see if it still works on wifi only.
well i dont know why i didnt try before but turning airplane mode on and wifi on calls with google voice through stock dialer are no go. I WAS WRONG. please ignore all my post in this thread. learn something new everyday. thanks Butchr for pointing that out.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts