[GUIDE] How to revert back to Android Wear 1.5

Do you like Aandroid Wear 2.0?

• Total voters
Search This thread

csrow

Nov 19, 2007
Hi, I would like to downgrade my zw3 to 1.5. However, i would like to keep the keyboard. Is it possible to sideload aw2.0 keyboard to 1.5? Thank you.

You can side load the keyboard but I do not know of a way to enable it as an input method. Version 1.5 does not support native keyboards.

en0203

Jun 29, 2010
You can side load the keyboard but I do not know of a way to enable it as an input method. Version 1.5 does not support native keyboards.

Can you try to install appfour messaging and email apps? I read some can use the keyboard via these apps after they sideload the google ime. I do not have 1.5 to try.

I read from here
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidWear/comments/5xi9jp/help_swipe_keyboard_on_wear_15/

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Also, does the following work?

https://xdaforums.com/moto-360/general/minuum-keyboard-android-wear-t2871609

The adb command given in the above link seems to be the command needed to activate any ime but need to find out ime service name. The steps are as follow:

1. Open [Debug] mode on your android wear device.
2. connect your wear device to a computer via USB.
3. Open a command line window, and navigate to ADB directory.
4. using this command to install your signed IME apk. "adb install ime.apk"
5. activate your input method. "adb shell ime enable com.example.xxx/.yourInputServiceName"
6. set your ime as default. "adb shell ime set com.example.xxx/.yourInputServiceName"

It will be great if we can sideload aw2's google keyboard from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/gboard-the-google-keyboard-android-wear/gboard-the-google-keyboard-android-wear-1-0-1-release/gboard-google-keyboard-1-0-1-android-apk-download/ and activate it as ime using adb command! I just do not know what service name to use.

Can someone please try with keyboards which the service name is known on your 1.5? mine is running 2.0. Thank you so much!

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Further study from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15253983/change-the-default-android-keyboard-using-adb-or-java-code shows that we may be able to find out the IME ID after we install the ime and activate it with the following method:

$ adb shell ime list -a
$ adb shell ime enable ID
$ adb shell ime set ID

Now if you link all together you will be able to isntall and activate ime in aw1.5. I hope it works, can someone with 1.5 please try?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

csrow

Nov 19, 2007
Can you try to install appfour messaging and email apps? I read some can use the keyboard via these apps after they sideload the google ime. I do not have 1.5 to try.

I read from here
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidWear/comments/5xi9jp/help_swipe_keyboard_on_wear_15/

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Also, does the following work?

https://xdaforums.com/moto-360/general/minuum-keyboard-android-wear-t2871609

The adb command given in the above link seems to be the command needed to activate any ime but need to find out ime service name. The steps are as follow:

1. Open [Debug] mode on your android wear device.
2. connect your wear device to a computer via USB.
3. Open a command line window, and navigate to ADB directory.
4. using this command to install your signed IME apk. "adb install ime.apk"
5. activate your input method. "adb shell ime enable com.example.xxx/.yourInputServiceName"
6. set your ime as default. "adb shell ime set com.example.xxx/.yourInputServiceName"

It will be great if we can sideload aw2's google keyboard from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/gboard-the-google-keyboard-android-wear/gboard-the-google-keyboard-android-wear-1-0-1-release/gboard-google-keyboard-1-0-1-android-apk-download/ and activate it as ime using adb command! I just do not know what service name to use.

Can someone please try with keyboards which the service name is known on your 1.5? mine is running 2.0. Thank you so much!

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Further study from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15253983/change-the-default-android-keyboard-using-adb-or-java-code shows that we may be able to find out the IME ID after we install the ime and activate it with the following method:

$ adb shell ime list -a
$ adb shell ime enable ID
$ adb shell ime set ID

Now if you link all together you will be able to isntall and activate ime in aw1.5. I hope it works, can someone with 1.5 please try?

Thank you so much!

I managed to install the Google keyboard and set it as a default but it still does not show up as an input method on Keep, Messages, or Hangouts app.

I don't have any other app that requires text input. No go.

If you want to try the id is
com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/com.google.android.apps.inputmethod.wear.latin.WearLatinIME

V1.5 is not designed to support a keyboard. Certain apps can be made to use a keyboard like appfour stuff. Their keyboard do work but I did not like their apps.

Last edited:

TurboFool

Jun 22, 2007
Culver City
Notification returned yesterday, so I ran the process again, successfully. It's back again today. Sounds like this isn't going to be a viable long-term solution, sadly.

csrow

Nov 19, 2007
Notification returned yesterday, so I ran the process again, successfully. It's back again today. Sounds like this isn't going to be a viable long-term solution, sadly.

hmm... that's strange. I have not seen any notifications.
Try running disable command on both as in the original instruction.

csrow

Nov 19, 2007
I ran both disable commands and cleared the data, the notification seems to return the next day. Strange because I hadn't seen the notification for quite some time.

That's strange. I am clear of notifications since the 9th when I disabled and cleared.

Try disabling both again and clearing data and cache for both and then reboot. I don't know what else it can be.

Google Service Framework has not been updated on mine. Only the Google Play Service got updated on 12/9. Check the dates on both apps and see.

Last edited:
re: prevent notifications

I knew it, I tried the ADB su pm commands a few weeks after AW 2.0 came
out for the zenwatch 3 and it did not work for me for more than a day or two.

There needs to be a way to add, remove or modify something in the rom
itself during the creation of the rom that prevents the update notifications
and the downloading of the stock official AW 2.0 firmware.

I wonder if @janjan can do something like that?

Good luck, have a great day!

Last edited:

en0203

Jun 29, 2010
I managed to install the Google keyboard and set it as a default but it still does not show up as an input method on Keep, Messages, or Hangouts app.

I don't have any other app that requires text input. No go.

If you want to try the id is
com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/com.google.android.apps.inputmethod.wear.latin.WearLatinIME

V1.5 is not designed to support a keyboard. Certain apps can be made to use a keyboard like appfour stuff. Their keyboard do work but I did not like their apps.

Thanks for trying. You are correct that you can only use keyboard on the app that supports it. The keyboard will not appear system wide like aw2.0 unfortunately. This and the notification prompt are currently the only two reasons holding me from downgrading back to aw1.5 sadly. Guess I will have to trade keyboard for other benefits :(

csrow

Nov 19, 2007

Try this. @TurboFool @irmatt

Turn off notification on your phone for Google Play Services. Set it to level 0.
Then clear again on your watch and reboot both phone and the watch. See if that helps.

csrow

Nov 19, 2007
Status report.

It's been a month since I've downgraded to V 1.5 custom ROM.
I did get one OTA notification when the Google Play Services was updated on the watch but since then, I have pm disabled both again and cleared data and cache. In addition, I have disabled notification for Google Play Services on the phone.

So at the end of the month, no downloads on the watch (both fota and cache folders are clear) and no OTA notifications. Just enjoying the version 1.5.

worldsoutro

Aug 11, 2012
Oxford
I have been going back and forth between V 2.0 to V 1.5 few times. Every time I downgrade to 1.5, OTA will push the watch back up to 2.0.

So, finally I used the method @nmdang suggested to disable the Update Service and that seems have worked. So I am documenting the steps I took to downgrade to 1.5 and lock down the OTA.

This guide assumes you have a working knowledge of ADB, Fastboot, and TWRP and your computer is set up properly to communicate with the watch and the watch has the ADB debug enabled.
If you are not comfortable with ADB, Fastboot, TWRP, or rooting, do not try these steps.
Your warranty will be voided and you may brick your watch.

By the way, all the data and apps will be lost during this procedure so make sure you have a way to recover.

Here are the files you need;
1) grab the boot.img from inside stock MWG68 ROM from this page. System and recovery image is not needed.
2) Latest TWRP recovery image from this page
3) V 1.5 custom ROM from this page

Steps;
- Make sure you have a working communication link in ADB and Fastboot by running the devices command to check each time as you change the mode.

1) adb reboot bootloader
2) fastboot oem unlock
(at this point you need to push the side button for a couple of seconds to accept the unlock)(this step will erase all the data)(wait for the watch to get back into bootloader mode)
3) fastboot flash boot boot.img
(flash the v1.5 stock boot image since the v 2.0 boot image will not work with a V 1.5 ROM)
4) fastboot boot twrp_whatever_you_have_named_it.img
(this will start the TWRP recovery and you'll be back in the ADB mode)
5) adb push -p custom_rom_whatever_you_named_it.zip /sdcard/

- now work from your watch in TWRP mode but leave the watch still in the stand. At the start of TWRP, allow for system modification.
6) mount system
7) wipe - system, data, dalvik cache, cache
8) install zip custom_rom_whatever_you_named_it.zip
9)reboot system (do not allow TWRP to be installed)

- the watch will reboot with a warning message about the unlock bootloader. Do not push the button and just wait for it to start. It will take some time.
- You should see the large ANDROID boot screen graphics instead of the google version if the ROM has been installed correctly. The first boot will take long one.
- As soon as watch goes past the link with the phone process, watch will ask the permission to debug. Select [Always allow]

- as the watch starts syncing, the ADB should be enabled.
10) adb shell
11) su
12) pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
13) pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService
14) exit
15) exit

That's it. Now you should have a custom V1.5 ROM on your watch with OTA blocked.
Once you are happy everything is working, optionally, you can go back and lock the bootloader to remove the warning message and speed up the boot up process.

EDIT:
I'm adding one more step in order to block notifications coming from the phone.
16) On your phone go to settings / notifications and find Google Play Services. Turn off all notifications (set it to level 0) for Google Play Services.
End of EDIT:

What's the negatives to turning off Google play services?

meerez

Oct 1, 2009
Manchester
Has anyone that did this experienced connection issues? I followed the steps successfully last week and it worked great. Now today I noticed my watch will not stay connected to the phone. It seems to connect when the screen of the phone is on, however once it goes black the watch disconnects. no new apps installed in either. I tried disconnecting watch and reinstalling wear app. they connected and synced afterwards, then problem started immediately. I have Nexus6P with Oreo and Asus Zenwatch 2

jbennett3112

Jun 13, 2017
How to revert back to Android Wear 1.5

Flashing stock AW1.5 build:
- Unlock your bootloader
- Reboot into FASTBOOT MODE
- Download STOCK ROM MWG68 images
- via adb type commands:
Code:
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot reboot

How to block OTA to AW 2.0
- adb shell
- pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
- pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService
- exit

I was able to revert to AW 1.5 but I want to undo everything...some apps aren't working like I want. Is there a way to undo everything I did?

arys64

Jan 5, 2008
Santiago
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Pteer Griffin

Aug 4, 2008
Might want to edit the part where it says fastboot erase userdata; You should change it to fastboot format userdata because a lot of times it errors out that it can't mount and you'll be unable to flash back to stock or any custom rom.

luc290670

Sep 25, 2013
I did the downgrade to 1.5 as described, but now the watch always starts to recovery showing a dead android, does not start into the OS. If I boot with TWRP and do a factory reset, I am stuck in a boot loop.
I had the watch repaired as the screen did not work, but there was no hardware error, they just reset the system. But like it often happens with Android wear 2.0, I could not connect to my mobile any more. That is why I decided to do this downgrade (did that already half a year ago and it worked, but upgraded to 2.0 a few months later and was quite satisfied). Maybe the reset procedure done by the repair company did some changes
that now prevent the watch from starting after the downgrade ? Any ideas ?

nash211

May 13, 2013

- Unlock your bootloader
- via adb type commands:
Code:
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot reboot

- adb shell
- exit
This worked perfectly for me, but instead of fastboot erase userdata change that too fastboot format userdata and it works perfectly. Thank you so much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Unlock your bootloader
    - via adb type commands:
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot reboot

- adb shell
    - exit
    Going from V 2.0 down to V 1.5 custom ROM with OTA disabled

I have been going back and forth between V 2.0 to V 1.5 few times. Every time I downgrade to 1.5, OTA will push the watch back up to 2.0.

So, finally I used the method @nmdang suggested to disable the Update Service and that seems have worked. So I am documenting the steps I took to downgrade to 1.5 and lock down the OTA.

This guide assumes you have a working knowledge of ADB, Fastboot, and TWRP and your computer is set up properly to communicate with the watch and the watch has the ADB debug enabled.
    If you are not comfortable with ADB, Fastboot, TWRP, or rooting, do not try these steps.
    Your warranty will be voided and you may brick your watch.

By the way, all the data and apps will be lost during this procedure so make sure you have a way to recover.

Here are the files you need;
    1) grab the boot.img from inside stock MWG68 ROM from this page. System and recovery image is not needed.
    2) Latest TWRP recovery image from this page
    3) V 1.5 custom ROM from this page

Steps;
    - Make sure you have a working communication link in ADB and Fastboot by running the devices command to check each time as you change the mode.

1) adb reboot bootloader
    2) fastboot oem unlock
    (at this point you need to push the side button for a couple of seconds to accept the unlock)(this step will erase all the data)(wait for the watch to get back into bootloader mode)
    3) fastboot flash boot boot.img
    (flash the v1.5 stock boot image since the v 2.0 boot image will not work with a V 1.5 ROM)
    4) fastboot boot twrp_whatever_you_have_named_it.img
    (this will start the TWRP recovery and you'll be back in the ADB mode)
    5) adb push -p custom_rom_whatever_you_named_it.zip /sdcard/

- now work from your watch in TWRP mode but leave the watch still in the stand. At the start of TWRP, allow for system modification.
    6) mount system
    7) wipe - system, data, dalvik cache, cache
    8) install zip custom_rom_whatever_you_named_it.zip
    9)reboot system (do not allow TWRP to be installed)

- the watch will reboot with a warning message about the unlock bootloader. Do not push the button and just wait for it to start. It will take some time.
    - You should see the large ANDROID boot screen graphics instead of the google version if the ROM has been installed correctly. The first boot will take long one.
    - As soon as watch goes past the link with the phone process, watch will ask the permission to debug. Select [Always allow]

- as the watch starts syncing, the ADB should be enabled.
    10) adb shell
    11) su
    12) pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
    13) pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService
    14) exit
    15) exit

That's it. Now you should have a custom V1.5 ROM on your watch with OTA blocked.
    Once you are happy everything is working, optionally, you can go back and lock the bootloader to remove the warning message and speed up the boot up process.

EDIT:
    I'm adding one more step in order to block notifications coming from the phone.
    16) On your phone go to settings / notifications and find Google Play Services. Turn off all notifications (set it to level 0) for Google Play Services.
    End of EDIT:
    Ok, I've been doing some reading and I'm almost ready to flash the watch back to 1.5, but just in case I'll make here the full list of what I've done/about to do, please check if all is correct:

1 - Download and place the Platform-tools folder from here on a easy access place to access on your PC
    1.b - Edith Path Variable as shown here just be make things easier

2 - Enable USB debugging on watch by going to the watch Settings/System/About and pressing a few times on the Build Number
    2.B - To check if the connection is well done between watch and PC open a command line on Windows and write "adb devices", it should show the watch SN listed

3 - Unlock the bootloader!
    3.1 - Reboot to fastload (via *adb command* (You do this by opening a command prompt window from within windows itself) "adb reboot bootloader")
    3.2 - type command "fastboot oem unlock"

4 - Download STOCK ROM MWG68 images

From here is where I have doubts, DON'T FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS until someone more experienced confirms if it's correct or not

5 - Place the files unziped: system.img / boot.img and recovery.img downloaded on point 4 inside the platform-tools folder in point 1

6 - Open a command prompt window and past the following code ***DOUBT*** Full code at once as shown bellow or line by line followed by enter??

Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot reboot

7 - make factory reset on watch by... "unpair and reset" in the watch settings...

7.1 - Re-lock bootloader is advised? How and why to do it?

8 - Don't install AW 2.0 again?

@ingbrzy is this correct or am I missing something?
    Figured out how to get rid of the OTA notification

Crap. Just received an update notification.
    @Misterjunky @nmdang

It took me a while to figure out why I was getting a OTA message suddently.
    So it happened on 12/9, Google Play Service got updated on the watch which wiped out the previous disable setting.

So the fix is to set the disable flag once more for Google Play Service.

1) adb shell
    2) su
    3) pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
    4) exit
    5) exit

6) Using Root Essentials app on the watch, go ahead and clear the cache and data for Google Play Service.

Reboot the watch and the OTA message will be gone. It will take sometime for the phone to reconnect to the watch but it will be back to normal.
    Hi guys,

I have a ZenWatch 2 and want to revert back to Android Wear 1.5 and based on everything I read in this thread, I think that I will be fine doing so (I have a link to the correct dump) but the only thing that keeps me from doing so is that I don't see an easy way to prevent the 2.0 update... In the original post, it seems that the steps will not work, and the second suggestion seems a bit complicated because it is done via TWRP and I'm not familiar with this, and don't know where to find the good file for the ZW2.

Can you please advise if there is any other solution without TWRP and root, and if not, can you please detail the process for an beginner/intermediate user?

Thank you in advance!
    There're steps I did to prevent OTA for my watch (root required):

*** revert steps ***
    ./fastboot devices

./fastboot oem unlock

*** root steps ***

./fastboot oem unlock

./fastboot boot recovery_swift-3.1.0-0.img

./adb push root_watch.zip /sdcard

./fastboot oem lock

*** disable OTA steps (after rooted, we have to enable adb debugging at developer options) ***

./adb shell

su

pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService

pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService

exit

*** Links ***
    Recovery twrp: https://xdaforums.com/zenwatch-3/development/recovery-unofficial-twrp-3-0-2-0-touch-t3528478
    Root file: https://docs.google.com/a/thanhdo.e...=0BwxryTxXnpbKbDQ3WlJDeVIzWm8&export=download