best stylus for use with the prime

Search This thread

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
I bought this one after seeing it mentioned earlier in thread

amazon.com/gp/product/B0064REJ3C

Tip is massive, pretty awkward to write/draw neatly, and the clip on it broke off within 24hours.

This popped up as a suggested buy when i was buying something earlier, so for $10 I threw it in for a look

amazon.com/gp/product/B006GM57MC

Hopefully it'll be a better buy given that its a fair bit slimmer...

For $10 this is the stylus you want:
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-GC160...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331835447&sr=1-1

It is far more responsive than the one you said broke, I have 3 of those (sold under the 'Cosmos' brand). It is also better than the Boxwave.

All of those bubble tip styli are about the same size, so if you found them to be too large for you to use comfortably you might wanna go with a Jot Classic:
http://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Classi...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331835525&sr=1-5

The Griffin is great for loose sketching & digital painting. It can also be used to write if you write large (which you have to on the Prime). The Jot is just as responsive, but has a finer and slightly more accurate tip. Also just because of the way the Jot is built you will find yourself writing and drawing slower with it.

These two are my "go-to" styli for use with the Prime, or any other touchscreen device.

P.S. don't go with the Jot Pro unless you think a rubber grip is worth the extra $10. The magnet that holds it onto the iPad doesn't work with the Prime :)

PuroKaibil

Sep 17, 2010
I was just reading the reviews about the "Adonit Jot Pro"

Most people that use it without a glass protector claims it leaves hairline scratches all over the screen.

How about the Prime users, do you see any scratches on your screen while after using the Jot Pro?

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
I bought this stylus: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HMTZZC/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

It arrived today and I think it is a big mistake. It is useless to take notes with. But that is the only thing I want it for.

Is there any stylus that is as good at taking notes as a real pen and paper?

The best note taking capability I have seen so far is with the Lenovo Thinkpad or whatever. Two of my professors taught a whole semester using it, where they wrote on the laptop and projected it on the big screen! It was so smooth and responsive and immediate! A couple of my friends take notes with such a laptop. And that laptop has a resistive touchscreen. Our tablet has a more advanced capacitive one (I know the difference in tech)... There has to be some stylus that works as well as a pen, right?

Anyone know of such a stylus and use it to take notes on a daily basis?

briian_

Nov 1, 2009
Melbourne
ive been using the blackbox stylus (basic rubber tip) and the experience was terrible without using touchscreentune. however the the travel on the screen was a tad jerky and there was a good amount of friction making it comfortable to use. ive also tried a paint brush style stylus, though more sensitive, much less accurate.
i recently received my jot stylus by adonit in mail and i have to say, its night and day. without using touchscreentune the sensitivity is better, and more accurate. also the difference in the travel on the screen is just a remarkable. the plastic plate glides effortless across the screen. even the build quality is top notch.
the main uses for my tablet are drawing/sketching and hand written noting taking, and the jot stylus makes for the best experience for this thus far.

ALL IN ALL... the jot stylus is the best stylus ive tried and will be my stylus of choice for the foreseeable future

EDIT: after playin around with the sensitivity on touchscreentune, at a setting of 10, the screen registers a touch even before the stylus makes contact with the screen! hows that for sensitive

Just out of curiosity, did you have a screen protector on? Just wondering how much different it would make with the screen protectors.

Mikerla

Dec 22, 2009
Jot Pro and hairline scratches on glass

I was just reading the reviews about the "Adonit Jot Pro"

Most people that use it without a glass protector claims it leaves hairline scratches all over the screen.

How about the Prime users, do you see any scratches on your screen while after using the Jot Pro?

I read somewhere that you need to keep the screen real clean before using the Jot. I have one and have been following this advise - so no scratches yet.

Still testing the Jot with Writepad Stylus APK and trying to use Touchscreetune to calibrate the screens sensitivity.

I wish someone who has had success getting this app to work with the Jot would document a procedure, I am having intermittent success.

Still not sure that this will be the ultimate note taking solution but seems to work better than most when it comes to palm rejection.

My question to the group has anyone found another apk with palm rejection?

Thanks,

Mike

PuroKaibil

Sep 17, 2010
I read somewhere that you need to keep the screen real clean before using the Jot. I have one and have been following this advise - so no scratches yet.

Still testing the Jot with Writepad Stylus APK and trying to use Touchscreetune to calibrate the screens sensitivity.

I wish someone who has had success getting this app to work with the Jot would document a procedure, I am having intermittent success.

Still not sure that this will be the ultimate note taking solution but seems to work better than most when it comes to palm rejection.

Thanks,

Mike

Have you tried the settings that the guy on the Touchscreentune video is using?

I'll try tonight at home and see how it works using the "pensupremacy" and supernote.

LectureNotes has an adjustable palm rejection area (called a "save zone" in that app) that you can resize and position on the screen. There is a free trial version (limited # of notebooks) that you can try before getting the full version.

trita629

Jul 6, 2011
Dallas
Might sound stupid, but for me, getting a matted screen protector helps a little bit. It adds some friction and you don't have to constantly wipe your screen. Con is when you glide your jot across the screen it makes noise, so I put some scotch tape on my disc. haha

Diagonal lines aren't really a big problem for me. As long as I don't draw super slow.
Screenshot_2012-03-15-18-57-28.jpgView attachment 949255

Last edited:
Reactions: dude6595

steviet23

Dec 14, 2010
Milwaukee
I got a roocase stylus pretty cheap on amazon. It works pretty good and have taken notes with it but it is not comparable to a pen and paper.

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
I just got a Jot Mini, which is a smaller version of the Jot Pro/Jot Classic.

It works very well on my GS2 phone, but not as well as the Jot Classic on my Transformer Prime. The contact area (the disk) is significantly smaller (20-25%) on the Mini than it is on the Pro/Classic which means that unless you press down with notable force the Transformer Prime doesn't register input smoothly.

As for the light scratches that PuroKaibil mentioned some users were reporting, I haven't seen any evidence of such scratches on my Prime, and I have been using the Jot Classic for a couple of months now. I keep my screen pretty clean and regularly wipe the disk of the stylus so I guess this has helped prevent me from grinding small specs of dirt into the glass which would cause scratches.

malaccio

Nov 27, 2011
Italy
which one?

Which one works better with prime?
Targus
Griffin
Boxwave
Bamboo
aCase 2nd gen.

At the moment my choise is for bamboo... it s wrong?

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
Which one works better with prime?
Targus
Griffin
Boxwave
Bamboo
aCase 2nd gen.

At the moment my choise is for bamboo... it s wrong?

Writing & drawing implements are all personal preference. There is no definitive "Best" when it comes to styli because everyone has different needs. All you can hope for from any review is an opinion and information to support that opinion.

From the list above, I would go with the Griffin.
I glides easier across the screen than the Wacom, and requires less pressure in order to output a consistent line. It also costs about $20 less on average. (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-GC16040-Stylus-iPhone-Touchscreens/dp/B0041D0K1Q)

However the Bamboo is heavier and feels nice in the hand. But my experience with it is that is required more pressure to make a consistent line which meant that it didn't move across the screen as smoothly as the Griffin.

Targus, Boxwave & aCase are all decent styli, meaning that they are not the worse styli you could buy, however they don't feel as nice as the Griffin and aren't as well made as the Bamboo.

I mainly use styli for sketching and I trade off between the Jot Classic and Griffin. No stylus is likely to allow you to write comfortably well on the Prime as its digitizer just isn't sensitive enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: stlouisfinest68

Bart1981

Dec 4, 2006
Utrecht
I received my Dagi stylus yesterday and I must say it works just fine!
There is a little slowdown when writing, but that's not due to the stylus I think, but due to the tablet.
The great thing is you can really see where to put your stylus on the screen because of the transparant tip.
The pen also feels quite solit. It has a nice weight and balance. It doesn't matter in what angle you keep the pen, it just works.

I also got an other stylus extra as some kind of present, but that's the 'little sister' version of the P507, the P505 to be exact. That feels real light, is to small to handel well, and I think more suited to keep with you for use on a phone instead of a tablet.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the stylus until now, and personally I would recommand this stylus to other people.

alias747

Jan 26, 2009
There is a little slowdown when writing, but that's not due to the stylus I think, but due to the tablet.
The great thing is you can really see where to put your stylus on the screen because of the transparant tip.
The pen also feels quite solit. It has a nice weight and balance. It doesn't matter in what angle you keep the pen, it just works.

I also got an other stylus extra as some kind of present, but that's the 'little sister' version of the P507, the P505 to be exact. That feels real light, is to small to handel well, and I think more suited to keep with you for use on a phone instead of a tablet.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the stylus until now, and personally I would recommand this stylus to other people.

Where did you order the DAGI from?

I just got my Griffin from Amazon this week and it is HORRIBLE to try to write with. One of the Amazon reviews likened the stylus to a stick with a marshmallow on the tip of it, and that is about dead on. The tip of it is way too soft to be useful for anything but tapping the screen a little bit... I am very disappointed in this stylus considering how well it was touted in here... Oh well. Send it back and try again.

ugotproblemz

Feb 16, 2009
New York City

possible screen shot?

DVDL16

Feb 23, 2010
Pretoria

Cool thanks for returning to this thread. Screenshots, or maybe even a quick video would be nice ;) There is like ONE youtube video of the Dagi in action...

Bart1981

Dec 4, 2006
Utrecht
I simply ordered it on de DAGi website.

I'll see if I'm able to make a short video and put it on youtube. But unfortunately I do not have a lot of time. So it could take a few days before I have time to make the video.
But what kind of screenshots would you people like to see? It's not that I'm a great artist or something like that ;-)

Reactions: DVDL16

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This one is very good in my opinion, since it works at any angle to the surface unlike its rubber tip counterparts.
    New Trent Micro Knit Stylus
    Hi all,

I just got my TF Prime last week and now I'm looking for a stylus to draw some electronic circuit sketches from my IC design courses. I've read all the pages in this topic, and now I'm between 3 stylus that are available at Amazon.it:

AmazonBasics Penna per dispositivi touchscreen (IPP-001) - EUR 8,99
    Griffin STYLUS FOR IPAD + IPHONE + IPOD TOUCH (GC16040) - EUR 18,23
    Wacom CS-100 Bamboo Stylus Stilo input - EUR 21,37

Based on the prices (all quite expensive when compared to the US btw!) and also on the opinion of the stylus-expert almightywhacko, I'm leaning towards the AmzonBasics one...

I've read on this comparison (http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/6477) that the Wacom should be much better than the generic ones (Griffin, AmazonBasics, ...), however this does not seem true from what I'm reading here! Any thoughts on the "high-quality" of the Wacom one vs. the "low-quality" of the "generic" ones?

Thanks!
    Leo.

The Wacom Stylus is just a normal bubble tip stylus. It is no more accurate than any other and the only points in its favor is that is has a nicely balanced handle and is well made. Wacom is known for their high-quality artist tablets however with this particular stylus they are just using their name to justify a higher price on what is essentially a basic stylus just like the one other companies sell.

The Amazon Basics stylus is pretty good, and I have said before that the Griffin is my personal choice but you might have to try a couple of different styli to find one that is right for you. Also as a side note, I would look for that Griffin elsewhere. It should cost around US$10 (~ EUR 8). Maybe it costs more because of the import costs, but 3x the original price seems over inflated if you ask me.
    CELEBRATE EVERYONE!! I've been working with the developer of TouchScreenTune to port his app to the Transformer Prime. I've just tested it and it works wonderfully! The Prime version is not on the market yet, but it should be out very soon.

TouchScreenTune at Android Market

Hi, I'm crossposting from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1441180

I'm the developer of Writepad Stylus. It seems that after my ICS update the touchscreen sensitivity is still bad, at least on my prime. Here's a screenshot comparison with the Transformer 1:

http://imgur.com/a/olhMe

I wrote those using the same stylus and with the same pressure / speed (as fast as I can write, basically). Note that the Prime is registering fewer touch events, and entirely missing out on some letters.

Other prime owners who say that it works fine for them: can you please pose screen shot?

The good news is that it's probably not an issue with hardware, but some software setting. There is a developer who fixed the touchscreen for Galaxy tab: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1336464. I'm hoping he can do the same for the Prime, or at least show us how to fix it.